Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Witcher to end, but still getting two more seasons

This confuses me, the show was so bad its star abandoned it, the book and games fans hated it, and the last season had terrible viewership.

Why throw more good money after bad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 6:39 PM

It must be getting more viewers than people think, otherwise it would have been culled. Netflix is pretty ruthless. Glad I gave it a miss and never invested the time in this one though.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 5:11 PM

You're probably right r1. And though I certainly wouldn't get Netflix just to watch Witcher, I imagine the next two seasons will be good enough, at least for me since I like the games and the whole fantasy genre, that I'll go ahead and watch them on this service that I already have.

Of course, the whole "economics of streaming services" is so odd and difficult to understand. Since you obviously don't pay per show, you just need a whole bunch of shows that are good enough that people want the service itself. I suppose a hit show can get a bunch of people to sign up, but really, how do you know the new people are really signing up for that show, or something else?

It's all weird to me, but I'm sure there are very highly paid people trying to figure all that out.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 5:44 PM

The studio can write it off on taxes

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 5:48 PM

The Wisher.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 5:57 PM

But the viewership of 3 was a disaster.

Netflix’s own economics point to shows not being profit-generating after three seasons, even well-received shows. Typically an expensive show would have to be a blockbuster to get five seasons. Stranger Things is five seasons.

So why keep making an expensive product nobody wants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 6:13 PM

Henry Cavill was the only reason to watch the show.

And honestly, Season 3 was my favorite season. I definitely like the show in general. Not really sure if I care that much with Henry out of the picture though.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 6:15 PM

You seem confused about a lot of things, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 6:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!