Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pennsylvania school board cancels gay '30 Rock' actor's anti-bullying talk, citing his 'lifestyle'

Maulik Pancholy’s appearance at Mountain View Middle School in Mechanicsburg was unanimously overturned by the district’s school board in an 8-0 vote.

Openly gay actor Maulik Pancholy was disinvited from speaking at a middle school anti-bullying assembly after concerns were raised about his political activism and what two school board members called his “lifestyle.”

Pancholy’s scheduled appearance at Mountain View Middle School in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, was unanimously overturned by the district’s school board in a public meeting on April 15.

“If you research this individual, he labels himself as an activist, he is proud of his lifestyle and I don’t think that should be imposed upon our students at any age,” board member Bud Shaffner said at the meeting.

Trisha Comstock, a former parent at the school, started a Change.org petition to reinstate the empathy and anti-bullying assembly.

“What happened is homophobic. Anyone can go and watch the meeting,” Comstack tells TODAY.com. “This board is close to causing some real harm.”

Board member Kelly Potteiger raised concerns that Pancholy, 50, would discuss his children’s book “The Best at It,” which is about a gay Indian American boy.

“It’s not discriminating against his lifestyle — that’s his choice,” Potteiger said in the meeting. “But it’s him speaking about it.”

Pancholy played the character Jonathan, Alex Baldwin’s devoted assistant, in the sitcom “30 Rock,” and also voiced the character Baljeet in “Phineas and Ferb.”

Pancholy’s presentation on anti-bullying at Mountain View Middle School was canceled by an 8-0 vote. TODAY.com has reached out to Pancholy for comment.

Brooke Ryerson, an LGBTQ high school sophomore, attended Mountain View Middle School. Ryerson and her mom plan to express their disappointment at the next board meeting on May 6.

“It was going to be an assembly about empathy and anti-bullying,” Ryerson, 16, tells TODAY.com. “But that doesn’t matter to the board. They want to silence us in any way they can.”

The “us” that Ryerson is referring to is the gay community.

“They’re sending that message that they don’t want our identities in the school,” Ryerson says. “I’m lucky that I have such accepting friends and family, but it’s gotta be devastating for the kids who don’t and now feel even more like they’re not wanted somewhere.”

How the school board decided

According to Pancholy’s website, the award-winning author delivers keynotes on the topic of “diversity and inclusion.” Pancholy is a self-described activist and served on President Barack Obama’s Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Shaffner tells TODAY.com in a phone interview that he had concerns that Pancholy would “go off script” and talk about politics.

“Politically motivated discussions belong at home and not in the classroom,” Shaffner says. “A number of board members went to his website and what stuck out to all of us is that he’s a political activist.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2024 3:36 PM

[cont.]

Cumberland Valley School District spokesperson Tracy Panzer tells TODAY.com that the school principal “works together with staff members to identify award-winning young adult authors to visit with students.”

Panzer says that Pancholy’s visit was not on the board’s original agenda.

“However ... one board member motioned to rescind the invitation to this year’s scheduled visit by author Maulik Pancholy,” Panzer says. “Ultimately, the board voted not to allow the visit.”

‘This ... could have saved a life.’

Tony Conte, a former Mountain View Middle School student, shared an open letter to Shaffner on Facebook. In the post, Conte reflected on his experience as a closeted gay teen and said that he “considered suicide from time to time.”

“Like a lot of ‘different’ kids, I was teased for reasons I didn’t understand, and I had quite a lot of difficulty building friendships and growing into the healthy mindset that it was okay to be a little different,” Conte wrote.

In high school, Conte said he became friends with another “very different kid.”

“Before we could become close, before we could confide our challenges in each other, he hung himself,” Conte wrote.

“I think that if I had heard from diverse voices like (Pancholy’s) in an auditorium setting telling me that it was okay to be different, maybe my middle and high school experience could have been different,” he continued. “A presentation of this sort could have saved a life, like the life of my friend.”

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 5:02 PM

What's the issue? He's a cocksucking queen?

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 5:05 PM

That appears to be the issue, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 5:09 PM

Pennsylvania? Is this an Amish school? Sure sounds like one.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 5:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 5:14 PM

that kid's story omg. Pancholy would most likely have spoken in general terms and it would have been educational and a group effort with not necessarily a gay agenda. The "Lifestyle" comment though. They're idiots.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 5:27 PM

To these assholes (and they are assholes of the highest magnitude) better to lead a lifestyle grabbing women by the pussy, multiple (messy) divorces, hiring hookers, and marrying a professional hooker as your third wife, then lying through your teeth about her "credentials."

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 5:32 PM

I have an anti-bullying talk a few years back at a school in PA.

Now I’m absolutely furious that no one tried to cancel me.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 5:35 PM

And a gay person wouldn’t know aaaaanything about being bullied that could have been imparted to the kids, huh?

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2024 5:41 PM

He turned into a silver fox

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 5:43 PM

Mechanicsburg is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 5:43 PM

I met Panchy this past summer at a party hosted by a friend of a friend. He was charming and handsome.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 5:52 PM

He will always be nerdy-cute Sanjay from WEEDS to me.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 6:00 PM

I thought he was so cute as Jonathan.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 9:35 PM

I still remember him back in the 90s from Tracey Ullman's HBO series "Tracey Takes on". He played one of her character's ongoing boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2024 6:50 PM

Nice to see this coming from PA

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2024 7:48 PM

I met Maulik Pancholy at an event several years ago and he is absolutely lovely.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2024 11:40 PM

[quote]Board member Kelly Potteiger raised concerns that Pancholy, 50, would discuss his children’s book “The Best at It,” which is about a gay Indian American boy.

[quote]“It’s not discriminating against his lifestyle — that’s his choice,” Potteiger said in the meeting. “But it’s him speaking about it.”

His lifestyle is a "choice?" Fuck you you fucking CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2024 11:40 PM

seems to be a school run by retards.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2024 11:50 PM

He’s an…activist. As opposed to what they’re doing which is oh, so very passive. This is the spine they wish to instill in American citizenry? We would’ve been rolled by the redcoats and a colony to this day.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2024 11:53 PM

I’m very concerned about “Trisha Comstock, a former parent at the school…”

Who edited this story?

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2024 11:58 PM

Pennsylvania is the only state north of the Mason Dixon line where every diner serves gritz, okra and collard greens.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2024 12:22 AM

What do you expect, r18? These ignorant hicks are living in a different decade when it comes to gay people.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote]We would’ve been rolled by the redcoats and a colony to this day.

Well, we would have universal healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2024 12:38 AM

Fag.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2024 1:57 AM

B.-b-but I thought they had no problem with us gays that it was ONLY the trans they had issue with

Gosh, color me surprised!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2024 2:05 AM

Would they have cancelled Melania Trump?

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2024 2:09 AM

R11? Not as bad as Harrisburg, and sure as hell, not as bad as Philly.

And R22? You and I both know that the reason for that is because a lot of people of Southern heritage live in PA (see Harrisburg, above).

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2024 2:10 AM

Does he have children? Just curious. I always find it curious when childless men become "experts" on children. It's like the Tranz who think they are medical experts.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2024 2:11 AM

You can thank idiots like Chasen for having children pledge allegiance to the Pride flag and TikTok losers who are teachers announcing their pronouns and queer liberation shit to second graders.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2024 2:29 AM

R31....yep....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] You can thank idiots like Chasen for having children pledge allegiance to the Pride flag and TikTok losers who are teachers announcing their pronouns and queer liberation shit to second graders.

The backlash is pure MAGA culture war, it is unprovoked. Just as 50 years of Roe did not provoke a spontaneous anti-abortion/pro-life backlash. If we don't get out and vote this fall it will be 1954 again -- and some people want it that way.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2024 3:05 AM

R25, Damon not Dillon. Dumb fag.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote]I always find it curious when childless men become "experts" on children

He isn’t claiming to be an “expert on children”, bigot.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2024 3:19 AM

How much was he charging for this speech?

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2024 3:23 AM

Gay guy going to the schools to talk about his gay book. Tranz pushing puberty blockers. Teachers wearing badges to show support for LGBTQ+ students. This is why they hate us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2024 3:52 AM

r36 I doubt you are an US.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2024 11:30 PM

R37 yawn. What did I say that was wrong? I'm way gayer than you.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2024 1:54 AM

r38 well let's see, the gay guy was not going to talk about a gay book, he was there for anti-bullying. Trans people pushing puberty blockers is a pretty broad and inflammatory statement and what is wrong with a teacher showing support for LGBTQ+ students?

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2024 3:06 AM

R39 is Trans.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2024 3:18 AM

FIFTY??

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2024 9:44 AM

Speech and Pancholy reinstated due to pressure from students and community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2024 12:21 PM

Future headline:

School Board Member's Son Kills Himself After Being Outed On Social Media By Classmates

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2024 12:29 PM

Look at R29's posting history. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2024 1:00 PM

[quote] “It’s not discriminating against his lifestyle — that’s his choice,” Potteiger said in the meeting. “But it’s him speaking about it.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2024 1:33 PM

So this anti-bullying campaign just basically bullied someone.

Pennsylvania!

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2024 1:34 PM

Good r42. And I guess that talk just got more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2024 3:00 PM

He's the last member of the 30 Rock cast I'd want to have to listen speak.

Give me Jenna.

by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2024 3:11 PM

I know this aspect has been higlighted before:

[quote]“It’s not discriminating against his lifestyle — that’s his choice,” Potteiger said in the meeting. “But it’s him speaking about it.”

But it comes across as a parody. It's the sort of thing you'd expect to hear on South Park.

by Anonymousreply 49April 29, 2024 3:33 PM

And it's [bold]real[/bold]R49.

by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2024 3:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!