Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I owe $38K in income taxes! Help gay tax person!

What can I do? File for an extension so someone else can review my filing? Pay a small amount online while I look for a CPA?

I don't want to have to sell assets to pay this off, but I don't want to pay interest, what are my options?

Thank you, please. I'll give you a foot rub if you're ever in the northeast.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2024 10:33 PM

Op, you’re on the right track. Fetish themed sex work is a great idea to earn extra income to pay off the 38k you owe. Keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 2:33 PM

How does this happen to someone OR how does someone allow this to happen to them?

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 2:33 PM

Even if you file for an extension, you usually have to pay an estimated tax to avoid penalties - which on $38K would be hefty.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 2:34 PM

Call for

Tax Troll

I haven't seen him around, but he might still be.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 2:34 PM

Humble Bragger.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 2:37 PM

R2 Ignorance and lack of planning, duh.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 2:39 PM

I’m playing June’s Journey.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 2:39 PM

[quote]How does this happen to someone OR how does someone allow this to happen to them?

This was a very common problem in the early 2000s when people were exercising employee stock options. It's also often a problem when people sell homes or in some cases when you inherit certain types of assets.

People who get divorced or are self-employed or start businesses often don't take tax consequences into account.

Let's not just assume OP was a fool and didn't withhold sufficiently on W2 income.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 2:46 PM

R8 Nope, I was the kind of fool who didn't save enough after the sales of two rentals because I thought I was going to offset those gains by losses elsewhere. Boo-hoo, right?

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2024 2:50 PM

You need an accountant obviously. If you don't have it in cash can you borrow it from a credit union? or take it out of your retirement funds?

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 2:53 PM

[quote]This was a very common problem in the early 2000s when people were exercising employee stock options. It's also often a problem when people sell homes or in some cases when you inherit certain types of assets.

Indeed, twice. Back when I sold employee stock options, I was paid taxes quarterly, $25K every three months.

This time, I was didn't prepare properly and had to use savings for flood stuff.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 2:53 PM

This is very poor planning. Only two things certain in life are death and taxes. Should know if you are going to have to pay taxes on income, either pay the tax immediately or set aside some money before you spend it all.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 2:55 PM

So true and under the circumstances, R12, so irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 2:57 PM

You can setup a short term (180 days or less) or a long term payment plan with the IRS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 3:03 PM

Find a CPA today who may be able to help you minimize and work out a payment plan with the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 3:03 PM

Just start a GoFundMe, everybody does it, also say you have cancer too, that will get the dough rolling in.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 3:43 PM

[quote]I don't want to have to sell assets to pay this off,

Tough shit.

[quote]but I don't want to pay interest,

Too fucking bad.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 3:49 PM

I recall a publication that will have the answers you need, it’s called ‘’The art of the deal’’

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 3:49 PM

It's time like this I'm glad my tax just gets taken off my salary each month. If it's wrong, it's HMRC's fault, not mine.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2024 4:02 PM

They're going to put a lien on your mussy -- your only remaining (semi-) valuable ASSet.

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2024 4:38 PM

Seppuku.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2024 4:43 PM

More info here, especially if you are considering going to a tax relief company. In short, don’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2024 4:48 PM

The people who work at the IRS are not the ogres they are made out to be by tax dodging/tax evading deadbeats like Donald Trump and other Republicans hellbent on destroying the IRS so they don't have to pay taxes on their ill gotten gains (or any gotten gains, for that matter).

What I've learned with dealing with the IRS for 30+ years is to remain in contact with them AT ALL TIMES. If you agree to a payment plan, stick to it. If you can't make an installment, CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY.

The absolute worst thing you can do to the IRS is go silent on them by not responding to their letters or other communications. Once the taxpayer breaks the lines of communication, the IRS starts reaching into their dirty bag o tricks in order to get your attention once again.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2024 4:49 PM

The high GIC rates were a siren call to many, but you've got to pay the taxes on all that interest, whether you've actually received the interest yet or not.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2024 4:54 PM

r23, here on Datalounge I read about a tax deadbeat who fled to Europe and is swanning around without a care in the world. The IRS has limited resources and they cannot go after everybody who owes them money.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote]I was the kind of fool who didn't save enough after the sales of two rentals because I thought I was going to offset those gains by losses elsewhere.

Before I tell you how to get out of this by the hair of your chinny, chin chin, hat did you spend it on?

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2024 5:10 PM

R26 I invested most of the profit from the rental sales in two CDs, but spent the rest of the proceeds, that I had set aside for taxes on weed and vintage computers and electronics.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2024 5:27 PM

I second r14.

Call the IRS, explain the problem. Tell them you want to set up a payment plan. Tell them how much you will pay every month and DO IT.

People do this all of the time and it works if you STICK TO IT. Not only will it reduce your penalty and interest, but it will help you rest easier knowing you dealt with it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2024 5:35 PM

Also, you have several years to file an amended tax return.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2024 5:37 PM

Find a competent CPA. They can set up a payment plan that you’ll need to agree to via the irs site. I owed one year and they did it so the IRS took $250/mo out of my bank account and I just arranged so the next year I would get a refund for the remainder amount by paying more via the W-4 form through my employer and I also upped to max out my pretax deductions to 401k that reduces your gross income.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2024 5:50 PM

Get a loan and use the CDs as collateral.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2024 5:55 PM

That is a LOT of ass to sell in very little time!

I’d get some PreP and a bottle of Numzit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2024 6:32 PM

I've filed an online payment agreement with the IRS to pay the amount owed within 90 days.

I'm going to use that time to find a local CPA to review my budget and recent tax forms.

Hopefully that window gives my wealth management guys some time to do some tax loss harvesting and other appropriate sales.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2024 6:33 PM

Good for you, OP!

You took a big step to give yourself some peace of mind!

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2024 6:43 PM

[quote] If it's wrong, it's HMRC's fault, not mine.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2024 6:51 PM

Taxes are for little people. 💅🏼

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2024 7:36 PM

I did the short free tax form from one of the IRS endorsed sites. I got 700.00 back. Meanwhile TurboTax was bugging me and saying 3000.00+ if I did theirs. Last year I did and the IRS stepped in and cut it 2/3rds. TT is such a rip off, and now you pay them.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2024 1:10 AM

During a very shameful period I didn't file, huge mistake. I was self employed and things took a downturn and I was overwhelmed. I finally made a call to the IRS, was very honest, and started the process of filing several returns. I worked out a payment plan and resolved the whole issue. Today I'm retired, debit free, mortgage free, and pretty comfortable, but far from wealthy. I found the IRS to be pretty easy to work with, just make the call.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2024 1:40 AM

Everyone thinks accountants and CPAs are tax preparers. Most often they are not and although some might be familiar with filing taxes, I doubt they're the best at it.

What you want is a tax preparer who is an EA- Enrolled Agent, someone licensed to represent you in front of the IRS.

Inheritances are not taxable under 11 millions dollars, although the sale of inherited assets like a house are taxable only upon their sale. An inherited IRA or 401k do generate a tax liability as the funds are withdrawn because the saver got a tax break putting the funds in, so someone has to pay the taxes when the funds come out.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2024 6:22 AM

[quote]Inheritances are not taxable under 11 millions dollars, although the sale of inherited assets like a house are taxable only upon their sale

Inheritances (and gifts) are not taxable to the recipient. That number you cited is for the estate and gift tax lifetime exclusion (and it's higher than that now.) And it's imposed on the estate (for estate taxes) and the donor (for gift taxes) -- NOT the recipient.

If you inherit something like a house, you get a stepped-up basis to the fair market value as of the owner's death. So if you sell it shortly after you received it (meaning the value has not increased), there will be no taxable gain.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2024 11:02 PM

OP, Sammy Davis Jr. had this problem, too. You're in good company!

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2024 11:17 PM

I have owed the IRS (though not $38K, it was more along $9K), and they were actually pretty easy to work with/set up a payment plan.

You still pay interest though.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2024 11:20 PM

This whole thread and r38 have given me hope. I'm starting to get the certified letters in the mail, now and it's definitely become overwhelming. Especially while trying to build a business, also. I tend to get avoidant, in general, with any problem when I'm overwhelmed. I've learned very quickly, though, that unlike a partner, friend, or family member, the IRS will [bold]not[/bold] be ignored, Dan.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2024 6:36 PM

OP, OnlyFans beckons...

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2024 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!