Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays have you adjusted your daily routines due to the crime and violence risk in your area?

Eldergays, have you adjusted your daily routine based upon the threat of crime or violence? For myself I have a 9:00 p.m. cut off for leaving the house unless it's a pre-planned thing. If I'm going into the city I always shoot to go in the morning earlier than 11:00 a.m. if possible. I no longer take public transportation. It would be very rare for me to attend any large festival style event with thousands of people gathered in one place . I know it's a recipe for loneliness but self preservation is key. What adjustments have you made? I live in a relatively safe suburban area 8 Miles away from a city known for its crime and violence.

by Anonymousreply 116April 21, 2024 4:53 AM

Here in NYC crime is down and significantly lower than decades ago. I always use common sense when out and about as I have my entire life. Most of all I don’t fall for right wing BS about crime in the US and NYC in particular.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 1:21 PM

I live on the south side of Chicago, and crime is down here. I walk my dog at all hours of the night and haven't had any issues. So no, I haven't adjusted my daily routine. (I did see a catalytic converter being stolen a year or so ago, but I crossed the street to avoid them, and they drove away when they saw me.)

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 1:21 PM

The south side of Chicago is a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 1:24 PM

And apparently you're the turd, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 1:26 PM

I live in a tiny town in upstate New York. I never venture out without three trained Dobermans and a machine gun stashed up my cavernous asshole. That way, if I see a colored, I'm ready to immediately drop to my knees and big him not to kill me in exchange for the worst oral sex he's ever had.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 1:31 PM

I live in Downtown Dallas and fear the roving gangs of caftan-wearing, foul-mouthed, threatening DL-ers.

There are literally dozens of them.

Also, crime is down here too

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 1:44 PM

No I’ve always been safety conscious. My mom essentially told me as a child I was “rape bate” for men.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 1:48 PM

OP, trying to take your post at face value but it seems illogical. Crime doesn’t happen on a schedule. Your “cutoff” times are arbitrary. I’m old but I won’t stop going out at night. I’d rather die. I take normal precautions, recognizing there’s no absolute guarantee of safety. TBH, I felt safer walking home at 1:00 AM last night than I do in broad daylight right after the high schools and middle schools dismiss.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 1:48 PM

OP, step away from FOX News.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2024 1:50 PM

During the pandemic, absolutely here in SF. Once the sun went down, no need to be out. Especially after BLM.

In the last year or so, people have started being out and about more. Even the last two weeks as spring arrived, the amount of foot traffic out has brought even more people out.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 1:56 PM

Regarding whether NYC and US nationwide crime is down, it has come down from a huge spike during the pandemic, but more sources contend it is still above pre pandemic levels and fewer say it’s equal to them. No they are not right-wing sources.

There is a shift in types of crime and reporting can be spotty. Some recent nationwide numbers did not include some cities with new reporting methods, and some nationwide reporting per city is voluntary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 1:59 PM

Yes my vigilance is greater than ever. I try to avoid the police and don't open unknown web links. I stay away from credit card offers especially from chase Manhattan and Wells Fargo banks. I keep a critical eye on news stories and bait and switch airline deals.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 1:59 PM

“A beautiful place where there are few homeless, no shoplifting, the average rent is $1000, and you can run over protestors legally…”

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 1:59 PM

I live in the heart of MAGA Florida. I have moved to a gated 55+ community and NEVER talk to anyone about religion or politics. Seems the safest option.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 1:59 PM

^^are down

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 2:00 PM

Don't stop to talk to anyone in a store parking lot asking for help. If they really need help, they can go inside the store and ask for help. Store management has more resources than a random person in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 2:03 PM

I gave up on large crowds years ago, but not entirely out of fear of crime: I just don't like crowds and find most crowd-attracting 'events' not worth the effort. No, I do not consider plays, indoor concerts, or movies 'crowd' events, although they do attract large groups of people. I am less enthused about my pre-dawn walks, because of rabid animals in my semi-rural area. Coyotes, skunks, dogs, etc. It puts me on edge. There are also some sketchy people out at those hours. I keep hearing my Mom saying, 'Don't borrow trouble "

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 2:06 PM

If someone asks you if they can come in and take a shower. Say “This ain’t no motel”!

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 2:07 PM

no, not at all. I suppose I just picked the right neighborhood but as someone in my late fifties I don't consider this factor at all. and yes, I live in a big city that many consider "dangerous"

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2024 2:09 PM

*correction. Crime is up in some categories and down in others, of course depending on areas. It behooves anyone who cares to check different studies, analyses and time frames since anyone with an agenda (police, politicians, news outlets) will cherrypick.

In some otherwise low-crime, NJ suburbs, thieves are breaking into houses undetected and stealing car keys. They come back later and drive off with cars.

This trend is growing in other towns than those listed in this piece. Do not leave your keys in plain view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2024 2:14 PM

No. I moved to a place without the risk of crime and violence, Or at least a risk that's probably less than 0.1%.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2024 2:21 PM

I'm not a suburbanite, nor will I ever be

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2024 2:22 PM

I have a panic button on my nightstand

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2024 2:52 PM

My SimpliSafe Security System has a panic button I also have by my nightstand.

I highly recommend SimpliSafe. Inexpensive, no contract, can cancel anytime. Great Customer Service.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2024 3:08 PM

R20 can't tell the difference between anecdotes and statistics. The fact that some crimes are happening doesn't mean crime has greatly increased

There are college girls and little old ladies living alone in big cities, so I am always amused by MAGA dudes who are scared of cities. Especially since these wimps insist that they are "alpha males"

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2024 3:13 PM

[quote]In some otherwise low-crime, NJ suburbs, thieves are breaking into houses undetected and stealing car keys. They come back later and drive off with cars.

Yes, we just had the first murder of the year in my mid-size Midwest city this week, but property crimes are through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2024 3:16 PM

I live in a lawless city in the American northwest. Crazy junkies hobos roam the land. Open air drug markets and the murder rate is increasing in 2024, rather than decreasing. Human shit, needles and fentanyl foil litter the ground. The light rail train is an asylum with filled fentanyl smoke, human piss and random murders by mental ill hobos. Before the pandemic, I used to ride the light rail 5 days a week. Now, I drive everywhere and I carry a Glock.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2024 3:44 PM

I take an inner-city bus at Midnight and it would remind you of Data Lounge of yesteryear on weekends when we had Flames&Freaks.

Harmless, but if you ever want a good deal on Tide or a case of Heineken, the bus is the best market.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2024 3:50 PM

r27,Portland, Seattle, Tacoma? all about the same I guess...

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2024 3:51 PM

My unhoused mental ill hobos can’t afford guns - takes away from the drug budget. Besides, I read tarted up trash to the casual eye.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2024 3:58 PM

There was a shooting four days ago just a half-block from my home, so I'm not going out after dark any time soon.

And I live in liberal suburbia two blocks from the police station. Yeah, they caught the guy, which is great.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2024 4:03 PM

Hi, Tallulah @ R14! I forgot that you live down that way. The Rethugs here are awful, aren't they? And they're all spoiling for a fight. I think it's a personality type.

I haven't changed my routine much, insofar as I even have a routine. But if I'm going to walk in my Forest neighborhood after dark, I certainly do have my handgun on or about my person (as my ex the cop used to say).

Most of the changes in my routine are due to my no longer being able to drive after dark, which has seriously cramped my style. Oh, well -- I guess old age is really setting in.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2024 4:07 PM

Crime is down in NYC because the police are looking the other way and justice equity DAs aren't prosecuting anyone.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2024 4:11 PM

I’m surprised it took so long to bring that up R33. I guess people would rather live with their heads buried in the sand.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2024 4:14 PM

[quote]Most of all I don’t fall for right wing BS about crime in the US and NYC in particular.

Right wing BS about crime?

Crime in the US is atrocious. It is at 3rd world levels.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2024 4:22 PM

Yes, R35, I was walking through Boston last night and thought I was in Lagos and started being afraid of hippos, too.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2024 4:56 PM

That's cute R36. It's not about you in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2024 5:12 PM

"Crime is down in NYC because the police are looking the other way and justice equity DAs aren't prosecuting anyone."

Oh, they're prosecuting criminals all right. Fat, obnoxious, white, entitled, wealthy criminals.

And more power to them.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote]Oh, they're prosecuting criminals all right. Fat, obnoxious, white, entitled, wealthy criminals.

R38 Nice...but people are worried about muggings, being punched while going about their business, pushed onto the subway, knifings, looting....things like that.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2024 5:31 PM

R37, you said the US was at third world levels. Boston is in the US.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2024 5:36 PM

I live in DC and except for a few places where there have been recurring problems nearby, I haven't adjusted any routine. It's safer here than when I lived in DC in the 90s. My broader advice is to stop watching your local Sinclair or Fox station and get out of your bunker a bit more often.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2024 5:36 PM

Better late than never:

Beware of trolls and their seemingly innocuous information-harvesting.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2024 5:48 PM

R40 So is St. Louis Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2024 6:02 PM

R42 information-harvesting? What exactly does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2024 6:04 PM

[quote]It's safer here than when I lived in DC in the 90s. My broader advice is to stop watching your local Sinclair or Fox station and get out of your bunker a bit more often.

Sinclair? Fox News? Should we also stop reading The Washington Post? (Jan. 1 2024)

"2023 was District’s deadliest year in more than two decades. The city recorded 40 homicides per 100,000 residents, with victims in every ward, from babies to the elderly"

"The 274 confirmed victims ranged from infants to octogenarians. They were killed in homes, in Metro stations and in motor vehicles; they were killed in alleys, in school zones and in public parks. They were slain on streets by acquaintances and strangers and in the crossfire of warring neighborhood crews, in double shootings and triple shootings. They died in the dark and the dawn and under the midday sun in all parts of Washington, from its poorest precincts to its busiest commercial and nightlife areas."

"The loss of lives in the year just ended, including the killings of 19 children...."

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2024 6:13 PM

R43, then say "St. Louis, Missouri."

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2024 6:31 PM

R33 Same here in San Francisco. When you know the police isn't going to bother, why waste your time calling them?

Most PDs have an online portal for filing a report for people who may need one (e.g., insurance). I've filled several of them out now over the years and not once have I received a response much less resolution.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2024 6:43 PM

[quote]you said the US was at third world levels.

Yes, I did. And it is. Look up Intentional homicide victims per 100,000 inhabitants statistics from the UN.

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2024 6:50 PM

Clutch your pearls, OP and your bots.

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2024 7:12 PM

Op is a troll- starts with C addressing his leading question and fear mongering BS to older gays and does not tell what city he’s babbling about.

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2024 7:16 PM

R5- Colored?

It’s not 1940 anymore.

The proper word is NEGRO.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2024 7:16 PM

R1 is crazy. Reported crime is down. No one knows what the real crime rates are. Most people dont bother reporting minor crime because they know the police wont do much to solve it. Immigrants dont like dealing with the police. The police themselves try to dissuade citizens from filing police reports for any but the serious crimes.

by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2024 7:24 PM

R44: I define information-harvesting as surveilling identity specific venues (in Datalounge's case gay sites) in order to cull information for undisclosed use.

by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2024 7:26 PM

R52, that’s like saying you know elections are stolen because you feel it.

Reporting is reporting and the metrics have not changed. Please avoid Sinclair Broadcasting. Your fears will go down.

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2024 10:16 PM

I live in the sticks, no crime or violence.

by Anonymousreply 55April 18, 2024 10:25 PM

[quote] I live in ... Dallas and .... crime is down

And one of the Reps is awesome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 18, 2024 10:49 PM

My small town seems wide open. Speeding every where, non running cars parked in the same spot for days and days, people living in their cars and campers on the side of the street, homeless sleeping out in public, drug deals in front of the grocery store and right across from the county sheriffs office. Sheriffs don’t like to respond to any reports involving domestic abuse or local complaints. But there is no mugging or robbery or rape. There are few streetlights and those are the kind that go off and on. But I still feel comfortable walking my dog everywhere even after dark.

by Anonymousreply 57April 18, 2024 11:40 PM

No, we often drive through the worst street in town because it's easier, past a cheap fuck motel for the working ladies and look like working ladies, we don't worry anymore, I want to white flight, others want to wait until we get a bullet through the house. Homicides are down they say, from whatever ungodly it was last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 18, 2024 11:59 PM

I live in the sticks in the USA Red Neckia Deploeableville. There is very little crime. The local crack and meth addicted youth will break into a house once in awhile but the sheriff would uphold the homeowners side of any home invasion shooting every time. This is actually a major deterrent to any theft here. We are in the glow of the bay area economy so the inequality is pretty stark too. I take no measures for safety actually and I haven't locked the door for 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2024 1:11 AM

I grew up in 70s NYC, so I have reverted back to a state of awareness I let slide in the mid 90s, but I haven’t changed anything else about how I I’ve my life.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2024 1:28 AM

R50 can you offer feedback on incidents like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2024 2:31 AM

I hate all people in general so am always suspect, suspicious and cautious everywhere I go. No one is getting over on me.

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2024 2:38 AM

We installed a Ring system recently. Live just north of Chicago. Get a hundreds alerts a day about neighborhood “crime.” Mainly reports of suspicious loud noises or random black people walking down the street, and lately freakouts about…coyotes! So all fine and dandy in one of the most liberal outposts of the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2024 3:05 AM

Spoken like someone who has never left Plano, r29. Seattle is a big city so the human misery is more spread out then you might think. There are areas with a lot of homeless people and petty crime and there are areas where don't even think about that stuff. Tacoma is a much smaller city and doesn't even have a light rail. It doesn't belong in the same category as Seattle and Portland any more than Everett does. Portland is small and dense so unfortunately the problems are impossible not to notice. I've lived in the PNW my entire life and it annoys me when people talk out of their asses about my region. R27 is exaggerating so much that I would be surprised if they actually lived in the area. Sounds like the paranoid fantasy of someone who lives in Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2024 3:41 AM

r64, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and why the rage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2024 3:50 AM

R64 is talking with his head out of his ass, and probably lives in Sweet Home, Oregon or in Leavenworth Washington, a town which is known for its Bavarian architecture.

A junkie has passed out in the entranceway to my office building today. By the smell of him, he had shit his pants. His barely conscious girlfriend was trying to get him on his feet. Across the street, there was 5 or 6 fentanyl homeless who were smoking fenty from tinfoil squares. Later, from my office window,, I watched as the police bike patrol chased and cornered two dirty hobos for something. I didn’t even bother to pull out my phone and record this arrest. If the police wanted to administer a beat down to our “vulnerable neighbors currently experiencing houselessness”, I would cheer them on and but them lunch

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2024 5:40 AM

[quote] I live in the sticks in the USA Red Neckia Deploeableville. There is very little crime. The local crack and meth addicted youth will break into a house once in awhile but the sheriff would uphold the homeowners side of any home invasion shooting every time. This is actually a major deterrent to any theft here.

Same situation here R59. Street crime is practically non existent. Lots of “youth pastor crimes” though, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2024 6:10 AM

R66, these are the people you fear? Perhaps you’re confused. People who disgust you vs. people who commit violent crime….

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2024 6:11 AM

R68.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2024 6:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2024 6:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2024 6:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2024 6:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 19, 2024 6:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2024 6:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 19, 2024 6:43 AM

There has been a recent surge in crimes in my Philly neighborhood, so now I’m concerned. Thefts, burglaries and assaults.

by Anonymousreply 76April 19, 2024 10:05 AM

^ As far as crime goes, Philly is a hopeless case. Good luck with your new mayor Cherelle.

by Anonymousreply 77April 19, 2024 10:24 AM

These days I shop with a revolver in each hand so I can point them in front of/behind me at the same time. I heard MS13 is targeting Tuesday Morning shoppers! Tucker Carlson said so! Be vigilant.

by Anonymousreply 78April 19, 2024 12:14 PM

Me for Mayor!

by Anonymousreply 79April 19, 2024 12:27 PM

In Cairo yes in Geneva not really. Silly me, because I've been mugged in European cities but not North African ones. But when I was young I had a lot of MOJO and I'm tall so I went anywhere and everywhere, and North African cities have some intense poverty, but I felt invincible. Now I am over 60 and I look it so I don't walk anywhere I want in Cairo like I did in the old days. In Paris I have adjusted and don't around all night alone.

Also up until my 50th I never hesitated to cruise for sex outside anywhere at any time. Except Cairo, where we Europeans mostly stopped after the Queen boat arrests. 2001 - and it was Egyptians who suffered not expats. But I took it as a cautionary tale. I don't cruise anywhere anymore so it's not a "routine".

by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2024 12:38 PM

No. Life in the People’s Republic remains serene. One homicide last year in a city of 117,000.

I try to do what I need to drive to between 10 am and 2 pm. Not because of crime - it’s the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 81April 19, 2024 12:46 PM

This was the first thread and post started by this sock puppet troll.

[bold]Don't feed the troll.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 82April 19, 2024 12:47 PM

Op, it's a worthwhile topic.

by Anonymousreply 83April 19, 2024 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 19, 2024 1:28 PM

I don’t go outdoors naked anymore

Too risky

by Anonymousreply 85April 19, 2024 1:33 PM

I’m in control of my life!

by Anonymousreply 86April 19, 2024 1:36 PM

Since the conversation has veered off into complaints about the PNW and Washington (state), I'd like to point out that the problems you're facing with rampant open drug use are due to the failure of local officials to perform their duties after prop 1 passed. State residents have allowed their representatives to not carry out the directions laid out in the proposition regarding treatment and recovery, which has set the state up for disaster. I read these complaints and think that it's no wonder you're all afraid of your shadows. Decriminalize hard drug use but do not follow through with the addiction crisis, rehabilitation support and treatment, and then wonder why (and complain vociferously) you're inundated with users and addicts on the street who, of course, commit other crimes. Why, it's just a fuckin' mystery why you feel the way you do.

The question is why have local and state officials not done what the proposition required. The feeling I'm getting is that it's not just gross incompetence; it's willful desire to see the situation blow up and cause the electorate to backtrack. And it's working. The "war on drugs" is very profitable and makes the police feel powerful.

You feel hopeless in the face of this epidemic, but you're directing your ire at the wrong people. Everyone here who complains of the rampant open drug abuse should call their representative and ask them why no treatment centers have opened, why the police are not performing their duties, and why the protocols that the proposition spelled out have not been implemented.

The problem isn't just druggies. The problem is that the people in charge aren't doing their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 87April 19, 2024 1:56 PM

I have taken to using Instacart more because a middle aged man like myself walking down the street with groceries is easy prey for the hoodlums in my area.

by Anonymousreply 88April 19, 2024 4:14 PM

Your address please R59.

by Anonymousreply 89April 19, 2024 6:58 PM

People still cruise outdoors? Must be all the seniors looking for that one young stud who's going to get off the apps and hide in some bush... He'll be into me because, yeah I'm 58 and look it, but I'm a HOT 58.

by Anonymousreply 90April 19, 2024 11:21 PM

Did anyone here use those medical grade poppers where you snap a little ampule under your nose?

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2024 12:31 AM

The only crime where I live is 1.) pickpocket theft in tourist areas; 2.) bicycle theft; 3.) home robbery - the great majority of these in vacant houses.

It's perfectly safe to walk across the city at 4AM. Having to remind drivers that pedestrians have the right of way is the biggest crime worry.

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2024 12:42 AM

Since the freaks come out at night, I only leave my house at the midnight hour.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote]The only crime where I live is 1.) pickpocket theft in tourist areas; 2.) bicycle theft; 3.) home robbery - the great majority of these in vacant houses. It's perfectly safe to walk across the city at 4AM. Having to remind drivers that pedestrians have the right of way is the biggest crime worry.

Sounds like you live in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2024 1:11 AM

I wear a full suit of armor after 4pm when I go to the early bird special.

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2024 1:16 AM

I was born and raised in a big city. I have always been careful. Always. I established good habits. Even to the point that I keep my car keys and my house keys separate. Now that I am older I am not stupid. I continue to exercise reasonable caution. I am aware of my surroundings. I was never a party guy. I prefer nice dinners or brunch. I Stopped going to movies when COVID hit. Now,, I don't like to go to movies. Usually, if I go out, I am home by 9:30- 10 PM. In bed by 11:30. I love my life. It is a calm, peaceful life. I have everything I could ever want or need.

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote] Even to the point that I keep my car keys and my house keys separate.

Who tf keeps them together?

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2024 1:50 AM

[quote] I have taken to using Instacart more because a middle aged man like myself walking down the street with groceries is easy prey for the hoodlums in my area.

This is very “i have to use DoorDash bc my ADHD means I can’t cook”. Just say you’re lazy.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2024 1:52 AM

R97 I do.

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2024 1:58 AM

[quote] No, I do not consider plays, indoor concerts, or movies 'crowd' events, although they do attract large groups of people.

aka, crowds..

by Anonymousreply 100April 20, 2024 2:02 AM

You know the saying. " If there's more than 3 turn around and flee".

by Anonymousreply 101April 20, 2024 4:23 AM

I do as well R97. Just have three keys and a key fob. If I separate them at some point I will forget the keys to my condo be locked out.

by Anonymousreply 102April 20, 2024 1:30 PM

Gangs of little hoodlums, male and female make sport of breaking into cars in my area. So never leave anything in your car. I've seen dumbasses complain online because they left their gun in the glove box or the console, or they left their laptop on the back seat, or WTF ever. And make sure anything that identifies you is not kept in the car. They can get into your trunk too, so be warned.People leave all kinds of stuff in their trunk, thinking it's safe. It isn't. I mean if they steal yourv dry cleaning from the trunk, so what? But if they steal mail out of your trunk you can be a good target for identity theft.

by Anonymousreply 103April 20, 2024 1:49 PM

car jackings and robberies at the gas stations so I get gas only at acertain station at a certain time and I scope everything out.

by Anonymousreply 104April 20, 2024 1:50 PM

That’s terrifying R14. Living in FL in a gated community in the middle of MAGAs is way more frightening than any crime wave. My stress would be through the fucking roof.

by Anonymousreply 105April 20, 2024 2:16 PM

I agree, R105. Plus, you'd have a continuous case of swamp ass. Worse than death.

by Anonymousreply 106April 20, 2024 2:19 PM

Retirees are leaving Florida these days. A small but steady stream. A very good friend of mine has a manufactured house on a mobile home lot that has recently switched ownership. The first thing that the new owner did was to increase the lot fees. It’s a lovely lakeside property too. No crime and everyone knows each other.

by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2024 3:32 PM

Just as Wall Street is buying up 44% of all new homes, they're also buying mobile home parks and jacking the rents.

The days of living cheap are coming to a close. They want everyone starving, broke, and without options. It makes people willing to work for peanuts if their kids are hungry.

by Anonymousreply 108April 20, 2024 3:35 PM

I never leave home without my muff pistol.

by Anonymousreply 109April 20, 2024 3:37 PM

I came in at the tale end of those poppers R91. They gave me a headache. I eventually found brands with the molecule that suited me.

by Anonymousreply 110April 20, 2024 3:38 PM

Crime and violence is way down in my area. I've adjusted my daily routines to avoid the never-ending school buses and traffic jams (due to the endless 'road construction') going on all over my city and state.

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2024 3:39 PM

[quote] no, not at all. I suppose I just picked the right neighborhood but as someone in my late fifties I don't consider this factor at all. and yes, I live in a big city that many consider "dangerous"

Where?

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2024 3:39 PM

R93 cracked me up

by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2024 4:18 PM

R108 is that true!? For crissakes, that's grim.

by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2024 8:12 PM

Not to mention home insurance rates in Florida are through the roof. $5k a year is not uncommon. All these things add up.

by Anonymousreply 115April 20, 2024 9:49 PM

No I just use basic common sense. I’ve never roamed the streets alone at 3 in the morning or antagonized crazy hobos so there has t been much to change.

by Anonymousreply 116April 21, 2024 4:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!