Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just saw the movie “Civil War”

I really wanted to like it but it just wasn’t that good. There was no back-story about how it all started, just kinda thrust you in. I didn’t like any of the characters either.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 4:17 AM

I'm disappointed. I really want to see it. Although Texas and California uniting together is a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 11:16 PM

It's kind of lacking in focus (pun intended). It shows the horror of civil war effectively (we knew war is horrible) and how complex a civil war in the US would be (we know that already) and we know war photography is a dangerous, stressful/exciting job. It's entertaining, shocking in places but not the great work of art it was touted as. Pretty average really.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 11:23 PM

The back story has been told the past several years in real time. You don't need an introduction to this film. We are living it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 11:52 PM

I've got IMAX tickets for tomorrow, reviews have been all over the place so I'm curious and apprehensive

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 11:55 PM

R4 Just leave your red hat at home.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote]There was no back-story about how it all started

Well, that's true if you aren't paying attention. Because it's noted very specifically that:

1. The president is in his third term. So it seems we have a president with presumably a significant number of supporters in Congress, who has disregarded the Constitution.

2. The president has disbanded the FBI. It wouldn't be much of a leap to assume that he did that because he was doing illegal things and wanted to get rid of any investigations.

3. The president has ordered military strikes on US civilians.

[quote]Although Texas and California uniting together is a stretch.

In the real world of today, yes. But in a world where the president has throw out the Constitution, maybe it isn't so far-fetched. Maybe it's an alliance of convenience. Maybe the leaders of the two biggest states with the biggest economies realize that this president threatens the future of both. By uniting, no matter their differences, they can hopefully assure their own survival.

I wasn't concerned about the backstory. To me, it was more interesting to see a war play out on American soil. Other than the attack on Pearl Harbor, we haven't been directly affected by war since the 1860s. For most Americans, the devastation and destruction of war is something that happens on the other side of the world. It's abstract and hard to fully comprehend. But show the wreckage of battle strewn about in a suburban Pittsburgh mall parking lot or put a refugee camp in an abandoned West Virginia football stadium, then suddenly war doesn't seem so abstract. The characters even comment on how their families back home in Missouri or Colorado, far away from the front lines of this war, are "just pretending none of this is happening."

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 1:53 AM

War photographers… stunning and brave

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 2:00 AM

Just saw it. Mind-numbingly blunt and dull, with dreadful dialogue and a pursed-lip performance from Kirsten Dunst (whom I usually love) that too many are hailing as brilliant. Also ludicrous at points -- among other things, the fact that 3 photographers would survive as long as, well, 2 of them did it in the endless final scene.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 2:05 AM

Agreed about the ludicrous survival of photographers - also, who would want the photographs anyway, it was obvious that the combatants didn’t care and the photographers even said their parents were ignoring the war anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote]just kinda thrust you in

Pics please!

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 12:32 PM

I was too busy drooling over Wagner Moura to care much about the plot. That man is sexy as hell in this.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 2:20 PM

R11 - that gross guy who was smoking and looked like a greasy, dirty mess? Do you sleep with hobos? That guy is disgusting! Cheap version of Pedro Pascal

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 11:06 PM

I saw it in IMAX. The violence was horrifying. I don't think the movie had a point beyond "war is bad". I wish the director had the balls to make it normal people vs the fascists. He probably didn't want to alienate any consumers.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2024 12:33 AM

Civil Snore starring Kirsten Dunce?

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2024 12:48 AM

This is Alex Garland's latest provocation. He is a known stunt queen, with an affinity for the grotesque. I find his work rather obvious.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2024 12:51 AM

Watch something far more fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2024 12:56 AM

War photographer Jana Schneider...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2024 12:57 AM

R12 I think Wagner cleans up nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2024 1:33 AM

Well... that was yet another well-made disappointment by Alex Garland. The Jesse Plemons scene was great, though. I wish I would've waited for it to stream and saved my $20.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2024 1:47 AM

r18, get glasses.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2024 2:00 AM

Critic’s Notebook: The Compellingly Packaged Cowardice of ‘Civil War’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2024 4:09 AM

whatever divisions preceded the conflict are left to your imagination, at least partly because Garland assumes you’ve been paying attention to recent events.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 4:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!