Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Whitney Houston album

Which one did you love back in the day? It’s a shame her discography list is so short.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2024 6:16 AM

My Love is Your Love.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 6:29 PM

Ditto TheVoiceoftheNight. It's her best studio album. It's Not Right, But It's Okay If I Told You That, Heartbreak Hotel, the title track, Oh Yes, I Was Made to Love Him (remake of Stevie Wonder's classic I Was Made to Love Her).

It's her only album that didn't have a lot of fillers.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 6:33 PM

The sad part is that it's such a good album, but that got overshadowed because that was around the time that her drug problems really started becoming obvious.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 6:35 PM

She hated the studio and it showed in her discography. Outside of the singles, most of her album cuts were filler handed to her by Clive Davis to sing.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 6:38 PM

The quality of her albums like her career in general- she was not particularly good on concert- in my opinion is why, despite the amazing pipes and some great pop singles, she cannot be included with Judy, Ella, Barbra or Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 6:43 PM

R5, she was AMAZING live. No one performs like her on stage. P

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 6:54 PM

Her voice on the first two albums was a gift from God that will never be replicated. Her songs from them live forever. ‘How Will I Know’, ‘Greatest Love of All’, ‘All at Once”, ‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody’, ‘Saving All My Love For You’, ‘So Emotional’, ‘You Give Good Love’.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 6:58 PM

The one where she fucked the corpse of Denzel Washington in her dead father’s church.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 7:56 PM

R6, she was amazing for one or two songs. She never was particularly good in concerts. She could not modulate her singing, nor did she gave vocal stamina. I suppose it was the substances. And her catalogue was very thin.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2024 9:39 PM

I enjoyed the biopic: "Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody". Not a great film, but brought back a lot of nostalgic memories and the lead actress was very good (can't believe she's British).

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2024 10:10 PM

Honorable mention to her 3 songs on The Waiting to Exhale soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2024 10:55 PM

R9, she had incredible control over her voice when onstage in the early part of her career, up to ‘The Bodyguard’.

I’m contrast, Barbara Streisand was NOT a live performer. She’s a studio performer.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 3:33 AM

I don’t know what happened but it seemed she had no interest in making music after “I’m Your Baby Tonight”. Maybe it was that Soul Train Award backlash that did her in but she never recovered.

“The Bodyguard” soundtrack was 5 songs, “Waiting To Exhale” was 3 songs, and then she did a gospel album for “The Preacher’s Wife”.

“My Love Is Your Love” was actually supposed to be a greatest hits album that turned into an album.

The within the next 10 years she had 2 albums + a Christmas album.

Very shit catalog for someone who was so popular.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 3:47 AM

The lack of responses to this thread is proof that most of the gay men have been scared off from this site.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 3:53 AM

Whitney Houston (1985) is the winner for me. I played the absolute shit out of that record in the eighties.

You make an excellent point R14. A lot of us are only just hanging in here now because it's gotten so bad at DL now.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 4:10 AM

R13: two words: Bobby Brown. I think she was happy recording still around the time of the Bodyguard. Bobby had such an inferiority complex after the success of that thought that she stepped back to protect his ego. Obviously the drugs in later years too meant she wasn’t fit to record even if she’d wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 4:10 AM

Also, the I’m Your Baby Tonight album was her response to the Soul Train Awards booing. So I don’t think that put her off making music, it just made her want to move away from pop and have a more urban sound.

I wish she’d been more prolific in the late 80s to mid 90s. An early/mid 90s r&b record from her would have been great I think.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 4:14 AM

R17 no. It wouldn’t have been timeless like The Bodyguard songs were, that early 90s Paula Abdul sound has aged like milk left out. She did R&B at the right time on MLIYL and WTE, after the keyboard funk sound calmed down.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 4:19 AM

Also I’m Your Baby Tonight has that sound and when’s the last time you heard any songs from that album?

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2024 4:27 AM

I'm Your Baby Tonight hasn't aged that well. The only song people still listen to from that album is All The Man I Need. She fucking tore that song up!

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2024 4:30 AM

R20 no one except deep cut kweens listen to that song now. That album doesn’t exist in the zeitgeist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2024 4:35 AM

Her 2003 Christmas album One Wish could have been epic if made earlier, but her voice was already shot and the funky R&B arrangements on every single track ruined what was salvageable.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2024 4:44 AM

Agree on the datedness of the sound but I was/am an 90s R&B kid and Whitney fan so I’m Your Baby Tonight gets played a lot still. Personally I’d love an additional album of hers that had more of the Something In Common (her duet with Bobby from 1994) and My Heart Is Calling (1996 Preacher’s Wife album track) sound. I appreciate I’d likely be the only Spotify account playing that album in 2024 though.

Back to the album poll, whoever chose Just Whitney, care to share why vs the others?? Each to their own of course but even as a massive fan, I barely play anything of it.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2024 6:13 AM

R3: not sure how things were in the US but in Europe the My Love Is Your Love period was huge and all positive image-wise and chart/tour success for her. It was only after she got arrested for pot possession in about 2000 that anyone really took notice of the drugs.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2024 6:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!