Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Container Homes

Anyone lives in one or knows someone who lives in a container home? They are quite cheaper then conventional houses. And can be set up in day/s. Plus they can look pretty decent. The downside is that they are small so you would need a bunch of trucks to deliver them to your property.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 2:08 AM

I think it's a creative way to recycle old containers. I've seen some really interesting formations with multiple containers stacked.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 5:51 PM

A bit off topic but I saw an old train that had been converted into housing. That was really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 5:53 PM

House in a box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 5:57 PM

I think containers are rather elegant in their shapes and proportions and surface treatment. To me, they look best when the design exploits the starting point of a shipping container, and doesn't reengineer and rebuild and reclad and tweak the design so many ways that it looks nothing like the thing from which it started.

Just the other day I saw this an elegant example in Canyelles, near Barcelona. At 1500m² (1600sq ft) 's neither small nor was it cheap, but it makes the shipping container modules in corrugated green a strong sculptural feature.

Arranged to form some sort of courtyard or patio they can be very nice also, giving the opportunity for big but private windows. They lend themselves to distinct zones, and functions that can be closed off: home office/studio, guest or children's "wing."

The standard height of containers is 2.6m (8'6") or 2.9m (9'6"), the former too low for comfort for a full-time house. The house at link seems to be a part-time house and AirBnB (surprise).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 6:21 PM

R4 2.6 m isn't too low for me. That's a standard height for the apartments here in Croatia

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 6:25 PM

R4 Those are actual shipping containers, not containers made for living. I guess those would be quite a bit cheaper than containers that are constructed as an alternative for traditional houses. But how would the isolation be in those things? Wouldn't you need to spend a lot of money for additional isolation? Unless you live somewhere where it is warm all the time. And quiet.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 6:31 PM

Midget Croatians do not deserve to live anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 6:34 PM

R7 Croatians are the one of the tallest nations in the world, you uneducated swine

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 6:37 PM

R6: I don't know the insulation for the example at r4. Canyellles north of Barcelona doesn't have extreme weather 9C (48F) average for three coldest months and 23C (74F) for two hottest months. In other repurposed shipping containers I've usually seen styrofoam or similar flat panels cut to fit underflooring, ceiling, and walls all of which end up sheathed in wood in most cases, though other materials too. Sound would be a factor in cluster housing formed of containers, or urban or industrial locations, but that's easily done and without making the walls, etc too thick.

The repurposed containers usually hace their inner wall treatment reworked - many of them are in rough shape and were not built for aesthetics. An advantage for some is that the small size of some container houses allows for some luxury choices in finish materials.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2024 7:14 PM

Can I get one made of Tupperware?

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 2:02 AM

They’re probably made of toxic materials.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 2:12 AM

R11 Metal is toxic? Why probably? What do you have to back this up?

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 3:48 AM

R12, there are many articles about the risks of living in a shipping container, particularly the presence of hazardous chemicals. From the article linked below:

Living in a shipping container home comes with distinct health and safety concerns that must be addressed to ensure a safe living environment. These concerns primarily involve ventilation, the presence of harmful chemicals, and risks associated with heavy metals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 4:04 AM

That's amazing R3!

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 4:15 AM

R13 But those are shipping containers, not containers made for living by companies that make said containers. I could see shipping containers being hazardous, but then again they weren't made for living in them .

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 8:12 AM

Zzzz I'd prefer to live in a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 9:12 AM

^ dumbass

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 12:14 PM

I occasionally watch those married off-the-grid gays in Canada who are building a shipper container home. It seemed to be taking a really long time, but that could because it's in the middle of nowhere. I haven't watched it, but the other day I saw they posted an update (with a title that may or may not be clickbait) that seemed to imply they're having problems getting it finished.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 12:46 PM

A container would never work for me, because rectangles make me horny and I'd be jacking off all the time.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2024 9:23 PM

They look really hot. There are a few around my small wide open town in backyards with those turbine vents on top. I’m sure they’re housing illegals but it’s none of my business.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2024 12:31 AM

This is the real life sequel to the old lady who lived in a shoe. We find that the shoe is now a box that ships shoes, a shoe-box of a different kind. And the lady is no longer old, she is in fact a young lady-boy.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2024 12:47 AM

I love the little neighborhoods of baby houses set up at the far ends of Lowes’ parking lots. How pied à terre they seem!

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!