Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NPR suspends journalist who publicly accused network of liberal bias

NPR has suspended a veteran editor who wrote an essay criticizing the public broadcaster for having what he described as a lack of politically diverse viewpoints.

Uri Berliner, an award-winning business journalist who has worked at the network for 25 years, will be off the job for five days without pay. Berliner acknowledged the suspension Monday in an interview with National Public Radio. He did not respond to The Times’ request for comment.

The suspension came after Berliner put a harsh spotlight on NPR with an April 9 opinion piece for the Substack newsletter the Free Press. He said the decline in NPR’s audience levels is due to a move toward liberal political advocacy and catering to “a distilled worldview of a very small segment of the U.S. population.” The overall thrust of the piece asserted that NPR has “lost America’s trust.”

An NPR representative said the network “does not comment on individual personnel matters, including discipline. We expect all of our employees to comply with NPR policies and procedures, which for our editorial staff includes the NPR Ethics Handbook.”

Berliner was told by management last week that he violated company policy by failing to secure its approval to supply work for other news outlets, according to an NPR news report by media correspondent David Folkenflik. Berliner was informed that he will be fired if he violates that policy again.

On Monday, conservative activists resurfaced years old social media posts by current NPR Chief Executive Katherine Maher, in which she expressed her disdain for former President Trump. In one 2020 post, she called Trump a racist.

Maher took on her NPR role in January. She previously headed the nonprofit Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, and has no previous experience in journalism. NPR has said Maher was not in an editorial role at the foundation when she made the social media posts, adding that she “is entitled to free speech as a private citizen.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2024 4:36 PM

Playing right into the “cancel culture” characterization of progressives.

They pretty much proved his criticism was correct.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 12:22 PM

Do not step out of line while everyone else is goose-stepping.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 12:24 PM

I mean surely he understood the consequences (which are slap on the wrist) when he took that risk. Even workers at McDonalds know you can’t discuss company business without going through appropriate channels. I work in finance at a company that is frequently in the news. We have to take a course every year that reminds us not to talk to the press.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 12:24 PM

That’s not why he’s being punished, r3. “Berliner was told by management last week that he violated company policy by failing to secure its approval to supply work for other news outlets” I wonder if that rule is generally enforced.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 12:29 PM

Berliner is pissed that NPR isn’t toeing the Zionist line on Israel. It is evident that his real intention was not to be plainly unbiased in his criticisms because the with one breath he bemoans NPR going hyper woke, and in the next that NPR has shuttered four podcasts and fired employees while failing to mention that the four podcasts were the four “wokest” on the entire roster.

He wasn’t operating in good faith, he was trying to push a personal agenda fueled by his Zionism.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 12:37 PM

“Fueled by his Zionism”

“Dirty Jew!”

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 12:43 PM

I’m sure he expected this. Criticizing from within is always a problem. If you want to hear about BIPOC, immigrants, trans and nonbinary issues and Gaza, it’s your destination of choice. You can play NPR bingo. A story about a black nonbinary migrant with relatives in Gaza is a Bingo. All done in the same voice by someone who graduated from an elite school and has parents with great jobs or inherited wealth.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 12:52 PM

If you are correct, r5, he would not be alone in being alone in being shocked into a reassessment of the state of progressive ideology by the exposure of its antisemitism. Those who were content to humor the oppressor/victim dichotomy when it meant “calling out white men for their privilege” and other silliness are rightfully appalled when it justifies terrorism and excuses Hamas on the grounds that Arabs are the oppressed and Jews are the oppressors. Seeing a complex problem reduced to brown/good— white/bad has opened a lot of eyes.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 12:52 PM

Balance to the Berliner article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2024 12:54 PM

“ decline in NPR’s audience levels is due to a move toward liberal political advocacy ”

In the circles I hang out in, NPR gives too much credence to conservative views, along the lines of the NYT’s “how X is bad for Biden”.

I only listen to the classical music half now.

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2024 1:17 PM

Wait. Wait. Don’t Fuck With Me.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2024 1:18 PM

I think the previous DL thread on this subject was disappeared

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2024 1:25 PM

I get a little tired of so many hours of programming being devoted to one racial or ethnic group or another. I'd prefer to turn it on and actually hear some news of general interest, but the weekends seem devoted to every minority getting it's own hour to complain about being oppressed. Too bad the Car Talk guys aren't around/alive anymore. That was funny and of general interest, even if you didn't own a car.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2024 1:27 PM

R13, that’s your local NPR affiliate. They get to choose what programs they air and when. On the weekends my affiliate plays stuff like Wait Wait, The Splendid Table, The New Yorker Radio Hour, The People’s Pharmacy, Sound Opinions, On The Media, and Revealed.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2024 1:51 PM

R14, that's interesting. Here in Chicago, it seems like it's all Latino USA, It's Been a Minute, etc., at least at the prime hours when I'm running errands on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2024 1:59 PM

Easy mark, white male, likely hetro. This is poor optics for NPR. The real statement is " we do not allow diversity in thought" which one would think is their primary mission. Their listener base is dwindling, the core demographic now does not have the income to support the pledge drives..

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2024 2:11 PM

I remember when Nina Totenberg got caught lying about Sotomayor and Gorsuch and the two justices came together to debunk Totenberg’s story. I’m sure she was surprised to get pushback for making stuff up, but she responded in the NPR way by saying the organization stood by the reporting, instead of apologizing and promising to do better. Totenberg faced no consequences at NPR and she knew she wouldn’t, which is what emboldens her.

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2024 2:17 PM

If NPR stood by the story, I doubt she was “caught lying.”

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2024 2:23 PM

Totenberg and NPR were fortunate that the SC wouldn’t sue like Dominion Voting Systems sued Fox News. However, knowing that people in government won’t sue (or at least won’t succeed), plays a big part in journalists considering what they can get away with.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2024 2:29 PM

Is THIS what you’re talking about? Who would sue over such a trivial story?

On Wednesday, Sotomayor and Gorsuch issued a statement saying that she did not ask him to wear a mask. NPR's report did not say that she did. Then, the chief justice issued a statement saying he "did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other justice to wear a mask on the bench." The NPR report said the chief justice's ask to the justices had come "in some form."

NPR stands by its reporting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2024 2:34 PM

R17 shows his bias when he says she was "caught lying". The court was clearly parsing words about Sotomayor and Roberts not specifically "asking" Gorsuch to wear a mask and they issued their "denial" to keep the peace. If I say "I'm working from home if my coworkers won't wear masks" and one holdout won't wear one, I can say I didn't "ask" them to wear a mask - I just based my own behavior on theirs. Totenberg got caught in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2024 2:41 PM

r13, when I was working in the Boston area for a few months, I really liked their programming. They had an interesting program called, "The Hidden Brain" and for nostalgia, "The Prairie Home Companion".

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 3:33 PM

You can listen to the NPR stations from all over the US streaming online. Even old Car Talk episodes (last I checked).

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2024 3:42 PM

He's resigned:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 3:43 PM

Are you still listening to NPR everyday usually morning edition on my way to work and in the mornings at work and then throughout the day and listened all the things considered on the way home. Even on the weekends I usually almost always had our NPR station on all day. But right about 6 or 7 years ago it just became unbearable with its constant need to beat The germ of oppressed minorities which I believe is important to cover but every single story had to be told through the lens of how it affects people of color more than anybody else.

Also pushing terms like latinx and garbage like that turned me off as well.

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2024 3:45 PM

*self congratulatory NPR listeners like this* 👍

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2024 3:48 PM

From the new CEO’s response, it sure sounds like a place that does not tolerate dissent.

[quote] Though Ms. Maher didn’t mention Mr. Berliner by name, she put out a statement days after his essay ran in The Free Press, a popular Substack publication, saying that questioning whether NPR journalists are serving our mission with integrity is “profoundly disrespectful, hurtful, and demeaning.”

“You hurt our feelings!”

by Anonymousreply 27April 17, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]On Monday, conservative activists resurfaced years old social media posts by current NPR Chief Executive Katherine Maher, in which she expressed her disdain for former President Trump. In one 2020 post, she called Trump a racist.

Speaking plain truth is now liberal bias?

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2024 3:51 PM

Her statements were not the cause of his complaints.

by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2024 3:56 PM

Fox is looking for talented magats and CNN too

by Anonymousreply 30April 17, 2024 3:57 PM

The other thread regarding this topic was nuked by Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2024 4:00 PM

R31 Do you know why, or was it just the usual plunge into the anti-trans-Israel-Palestine blind alley?

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2024 4:07 PM

I don't know why. The conversation was toxic but not extraordinarily so. I stay the hell out of the Israel conversation and sidestep most trans threads.

by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2024 4:17 PM

I know who won’t throw me off a building and I know authenticity doesn’t need to be advertised.

by Anonymousreply 34April 17, 2024 4:54 PM

I miss the old NPR, including Jonathan Schwartz on Sundays. The stories seemed credible and the hosts had soothing voices. Now it’s all upspeak and vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 35April 17, 2024 5:11 PM

Indeed r35, I miss the standard radio enunciation and neutral accent.

by Anonymousreply 36April 17, 2024 5:13 PM

Katherine Maher, the newly installed chief executive of National Public Radio, said she sought to crack down on the “free and open” ethos at her previous job running Wikipedia because it was based on a “white male Westernized construct” that led to “exclusion of communities and languages.”

Maher, whose “woke” social media posts came to light following the damning essay written by former NPR journalist Uri Berliner about rampant liberal bias at the outlet, made the comments in a video unearthed by Christopher Rufo, an author and researcher at the Manhattan Institute.

Berliner, who penned a lengthy indictment of NPR last week in Bari Weiss’ online publication The Free Press, resigned from NPR on Wednesday after he accused Maher of having “disparaged” him while espousing “divisive” views that “confirm the very problems at NPR I cite in my Free Press essay.”

Prior to her being named CEO at NPR late last month, Maher, 41, was CEO of the Wikimedia Foundation, the San Francisco-based nonprofit that hosts Wikipedia, the free, open-content online encyclopedia which is one of the most visited web sites in the world.

In an interview that was cited by Rufo, Maher said that the idea of “free and open” was “recapitulating many of the same power structures and dynamics that existed offline prior to the advent of the internet.”

Maher said that the “free and open” approach was problematic because it resulted in the “exclusion of communities and languages” where “the idea of a written tradition is [not] particular [to them].”

She said that “the way in which we ascribe notability which comes from this white male Westernized construct” is how society determines “who matters” and “whose voice is elevated.”

“Radical openness did not end up living into the intentionality of what openness can be,” Maher said.

Elon Musk, the Tesla CEO, scoffed at Maher’s comments about “free and open” Wikipedia, writing on his X account: “That’s literally the point of Wikipedia.”

Larry Sanger, who co-founded Wikipedia alongside Jimmy Wales in 2001, has said that the site can no longer be trusted because it has been taken over by left-wing “volunteers” who cut out news that doesn’t fit their agenda.

Rufo on Wednesday posted another video of comments Maher made during the Atlantic Council’s 360/Open Summit in 2021.

Katherine Maher says the "the number one challenge" in her fight against disinformation is "the First Amendment in the United States," which makes it "a little bit tricky" to censor "bad information" and "the influence peddlers" who spread it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2024 5:37 PM

People, anyone who works for a decent-sized, decently run enterprise is never allowed to speak publicly about their company without approval to do so.

It’s a fireable offense pretty much everywhere.

And to bad-mouth them? Yeah, you’re fired.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2024 5:40 PM

[quote] People, anyone who works for a decent-sized, decently run enterprise is never allowed to speak publicly about their company without approval to do so.

Do you understand what whistleblowing is?

Congress should provide legal protection to whistleblowers in the news industry.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2024 5:52 PM

Was listening to an NPR story about the AZ abortion decision. After about the 2nd or third reference to “pregnant people”, I changed the station. The comments section of the NYT story about the whistleblower were running heavily against NPR, surprisingly. Apparently nothing but gender, race and Gaza stories has even Times readers tuning out.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2024 7:09 PM

More authoritarian left-wing fascism.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2024 7:13 PM

Whistleblowing is going to the appropriate authorities to report a crime.

It’s not trashing your employer in the press.

It’s not remotely the same.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2024 7:16 PM

[quote] Whistleblowing is going to the appropriate authorities to report a crime.

You’re referring only to whistleblowing related to a crime. Whistleblowing can be for any wrongdoing.

[quote] Whistleblowing (also whistle-blowing or whistle blowing) is the activity of a person, often an employee, revealing information about activity within a private or public organization that is deemed illegal, immoral, illicit, unsafe or fraudulent. Whistleblowers can use a variety of internal or external channels to communicate information or allegations. Over 83% of whistleblowers report internally to a supervisor, human resources, compliance, or a neutral third party within the company, hoping that the company will address and correct the issues. A whistleblower can also bring allegations to light by communicating with external entities, such as the media, government, or law enforcement.

As a whistleblower, Berliner did the right thing by communicating outside the company, knowing that NPR would have buried the allegations.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2024 10:45 PM

You’re wrong.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2024 7:55 AM

Thank God we have Fox News and the 5 who are Fair and Balanced and never get criticized by our own listeners like you silly Libs even in the face of 787 million lawsuit for pushing false info and voting machines.

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2024 9:07 AM

Interesting that this happened during fund drive season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2024 10:47 AM

Federal funding to NPR is laundered through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which then passes around the loot.

Why is taxpayer money being spent to maintain a 𝘭𝘪𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘢𝘥𝘷𝘰𝘤𝘢𝘤𝘺 𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 “𝘢 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘨𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘜.𝘚. 𝘱𝘰𝘱𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.”

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2024 11:09 AM

R45, Fox News is private.

NPR purports to be public, and it receives government funding for serving largely as a propaganda for progressivism.

It is no longer a serious news service.

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2024 11:44 AM

#47, the same reason my gay tax dollars fund your kids' Christian charter schools?

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2024 12:25 PM

Never say anything against the kgb.

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2024 1:47 PM

While it's virtually impossible to report without some sort of bias, this does raise an interesting question for me.

Is it the responsibility of journalists to report facts with as little bias as possible or to report with a diversity of opinions.

Is it necessary to report the fact - the 8oz glass contains 4oz of water - then report that some people view it as half full while others view it as half empty? Or is it merely sufficient to report that the glass is filled to the halfway point?

Does it represent a reporting bias to not that the glass filled to the halfway point is insufficient to quench a person's thirst or is that merely factual?

While I do believe that good journalism includes alternate interpretations of facts when that variety adds context or when the conflicting interpretations are, in fact, the story, I don't believe it's necessary to provide diversity of opinions purely for the sake of it. That's how we ended up in the absurd reporting in the last two elections.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2024 2:17 PM

NPR is nothing but reports about microagressions, pronouns, and appropriation. It’s a complete joke.

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2024 2:28 PM

Ich bin Uri Berliner!

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2024 4:37 PM

I agree, r52, and hate it for that reason. But Berliner's critique was more like "NPR didn't give the Hunter Biden story that serious attention that it deserved!" "NPR did not credit Trump for his many wins while in office!" I so, so wanted to like his essay, but it was just not that good. I don't think any credible media outlet reported on the things that he felt NPR should have. Maybe in retrospect they were mistakes, but that's not why people are tuning out NPR.

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2024 4:45 PM

“Billy Carter should have been jailed for Billy Beer” “Jared should have influenced peddled 2 Billion from every country he visited”

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2024 4:58 PM

It’s all the same, for christsakes 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2024 5:22 PM

"Left, Right and Center" is the only program from NPR that providing an alternative view. Originating at KCRW, buried at 6:00AM on Saturday or Sunday, when they don't want you to hear it. Berliner said of the more than 80 employees at NPR, there are no Republicans. Because of their bias, MSNBC in the industry is known as "Dem S NBC"

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2024 5:32 PM

Ick! Uri Beliner

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2024 5:32 PM

NPR receives less than one percent of its budget through federal funding.

Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2024 5:41 PM

What does he say about FUCKS NEWS? Fair? Even?? AM Talk Radio???

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2024 5:46 PM

R51, you clearly never listen to it, but, sure, go ahead and pretend you’re an expert.

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2024 6:29 PM

R57, again, that’s your local NPR affiliate’s choice. It airs at 9pm on Tuesday night in my area.

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2024 7:51 PM

National Pravda Radio

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2024 7:52 PM

The comparison to Pravda is beyond retarded. In what way does NPR spread the US government's POV? NPR is the point of view of overeducated, underemployed white ladies who think their lifestyle choices "make a difference."

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2024 11:24 PM

R48, Fox News is private.....NPR purports to be public,

Irrelevant, since they both claim to be part of the public conversion and Fox NEWS even more influence since they have the largest percent of viewers of all the networks. Not to mention they call themselves NEWS.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2024 11:30 PM

It is not irrelevant, r65.

NPR has PUBLIC in its name and receives government funding, which may constitute a small slice of their operating budget but which they fight like hell to maintain whenever it’s questioned.

MSNBC is also biased toward progressives, but that isn’t the same issue as NPR. MSNBC a private entity; moreover, it owns its bias, for the most part, just as FOX does on the right.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2024 11:40 PM

R66, you’re arguing as if the premise that NPR has an obvious bias is established fact, unassailable truth.

Berliner’s essay, nor the posts on this thread suggesting similar, have been persuasive arguments based on fact. That’s why they haven’t been a big story, or any story really, other than his resigning.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2024 11:56 PM

His whole premise, like most Trump cultists and extremist Republicans, is that Liberalism is a VERY BAD THING that must be eradicated, which is obviously bullshit.

It’s just as valid a world view as any other, if not more so.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote]His whole premise, like most Trump cultists and extremist Republicans, is that Liberalism is a VERY BAD THING that must be eradicated, which is obviously bullshit.

Complete fail. That wasn't his premise at all. You pulled that out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2024 1:44 AM

FUCKS NEWS is also “legally entertainment” and not actually news

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2024 11:33 AM

[quote] you’re arguing as if the premise that NPR has an obvious bias is established fact, unassailable truth

This can be verified by anybody who listens to NPRs schedule for even a week, much less for years.

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2024 12:25 PM

R71, I disagree. I listen to my local affiliate regularly and have for years and I don’t see all the rampant , open bias you claim.

As I have pointed out several times in this thread to people who complain about the overwhelming wokeness of NPR, it’s all about the local NPR affiliate. They chose and play the programming they think will appeal to their audience. My local affiliate, WUNC, doesn’t play all of the shows everyone has complained about here. Hell, a significant portion of the programming WUNC plays isn’t even produced by NPR, but rather PRX.

Be all of that as it may, the news programming of NPR like Morning Edition and All Things Considered are some of the only news I see that regularly have both sides on, interviewing Republicans as often as Democrats, even though the Republicans often aren’t able to be held to account for openly lying because NPR, in its wisdom, doesn’t even believe in calling obvious untruths “lies” because they can’t be sure the person knows the truth and thus is knowingly spreading misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2024 12:53 PM

PBS NewsHour is probably the best news outlet in the US. It has none of the grating lifestyle pieces that make NPR so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2024 2:18 PM

The rCorporation for Public Broadcasting will receive $535 million in FY2025, an increase from the $525 million it will get in FY24. CPB's base appropriation is funded two years in advance of the annual federal budget process. The corporation asked for $565 million in March 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2024 2:54 PM

Balanced does not mean giving equal time and attention to crackpot ideas and unsupported allegations.

It is NOT editorial bias when one side spouts nonsense and you refuse to report it.

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2024 3:06 PM

R74, you’ll notice that more than 75% of the money the CPB administers goes to public tv and is justified by the fact that 70% of those stations are in rural “news deserts” that are not served, or underserved, by for-profit broadcast television. Because of this funding, 99% of Americans have free access to PBS.

I can’t imagine that any rational person would say that Sesame Street should be defunded due to rampant “woke-ism”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2024 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!