Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Smar phones have ruined socializing

Sure they are useful but I just got back from eating dinner with a friend and almost every table had people sitting glued to their phones. We went to a Japanese steakhouse and we were the first to be seated at one of the hibachi tables. A family group came in and were seated with us. Immediately out came the cellphones. The parents on theirs and the two kids on theirs. The chef was almost entirely ignored except by us. Subsequent groups filed in, were seated and the same scenario played out.

Does anyone talk anymore? I find it both rude and sad.

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2024 5:00 PM

"Smart" goddammit.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 2:28 AM

Agree. It’s awful. Most people have just become robots staring at their little screens. It’s one thing to do it when alone but if you’re out with someone or a group it’s rude and depressing. I’ve left my phone at home a few times recently on purpose and there’s something very freeing about it. Which is pathetic really.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 2:31 AM

I immediately pull out my phone as soon as I get seated at the Hibachi table. I have no desire to talk to strangers and going through the usual BS questions (I.e. What do you do? Do you have kids? Etc).

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 2:32 AM

Talking is so 20th Century

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 2:38 AM

I order my food to be served directly upon my large iTablet so that I can both eat it and browse my social media simultaneously, and with optimal lighting.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 2:51 AM

Who cares about cell phone usage at other tables? I find it more unsettling when couples don't use their phones but also don't speak to each other—total silence. Imagine getting to a point in a relationship where you have nothing to say to each other on a night out.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 2:59 AM

I f****** hate them. However on the elevator at work I often spend the entire time making faces everybody else on the elevator and they never even notice because God forbid they ever even look up for their phones for 2 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 3:06 AM

My friend Sarah makes her kids throw their phones in a bowl by the dining room door. If they don't, they don't eat, so they drop the phones on the way in.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 3:27 AM

[quote]I immediately pull out my phone as soon as I get seated at the Hibachi table. I have no desire to talk to strangers

What about when you go out to dinner with others, which is what this thread is about?

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2024 3:29 AM

Many take it to the toilet. We need Musks brain chip and let the body wither away. I am all for that. The physical world is for the dysfunctional and the defective.

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2024 3:35 AM

OP, no one wants to talk you because you’re a cunt. It has nothing to do with phones.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2024 3:42 AM

Slightly derailing the main topic but they’ve ruined concerts too. At least if you’re seeing an artist whose fans aren’t all 50+. Put your phone away and enjoy it, dance, clap, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2024 5:29 AM

Yes, R11. I am a cunt but I don't care if they talk to me. The discussion is about the fact they don't even talk to their own dinner companions.

R6, I've seen that too and find it bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2024 7:53 AM

Most people are not worth talking to anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2024 2:15 PM

OP here again. The reason I even posted this is because in the past whenever I went to a restaurant like a Japanese steakhouse, which was not often, people watched the chef and interacted with him. It was entertainment. We didn't necessarily engage with others at the table though we'd often strike up a lively conversation. Hardly anyone even watched last night and you could tell the chefs were rather disengaged due to that. The customers weren't interested so neither were they.

by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2024 3:04 PM

I hate smart phones and have never owned one.

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2024 3:11 PM

R16 I find that incredibly hard to believe

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2024 3:16 PM

r17 🤷

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2024 3:18 PM

I noticed years ago that social media ruined parties. I don't use it personally. It's more spontaneous to run into someone, maybe catch up. But everyone has a profile and no secrets , of course they're not interesting either. Then there's the thoughtless remarks like if you're not on Facebook you don't exist. I'm like ok and just walk away. So rude.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2024 3:21 PM

I have a great smartphone, Galaxy S24, because Verizon gave it to me. I carry it always, because you just never know when you might need to know the time 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2024 3:41 PM

When I waited tables waaaay back before cellphones were a thing, dysfunctional, pissy, demanding and inevitably poor tipping couples would read the newspaper as a way to avoid one another. Now we're all that couple

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2024 4:24 PM

I stopped using Smar phones and started using Smear phones. It's fabulous! I just dial any number at random and my phone smears whoever answers on the other end. The most vile, disgusting smears and accusations imaginable. My phone surely must be possessed by the spirit of a dead bitter queen.

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 4:27 PM

It's actually sad that couples are that disconnected R21.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2024 4:33 PM

I remember the exact moment I realized the battle was lost.

Decades ago, I had secured a seat at a much-anticipated late-night showing of a Star Wars movie (I don’t even remember which one, but it was either one of the original three or the one that introduced Jar-Jar ).

A kid beside me **made a call** in the middle of it.

That’s when I knew I was a coward, too, because I didn’t do or say a thing.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 4:57 PM

[quote]That’s when I knew I was a coward, too, because I didn’t do or say a thing.

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2024 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!