Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Gunn’s Superman

A couple of months ago I predicted the movie was going to get shelved because the writers/actors strike pushed the start date too close to a potential Warner Bros. acquisition date and that whoever bought the movie studio would want a fresh DC slate.

That didn’t happen and the movie went into production but they just announced character actor Pruitt Taylor Vince is cast as Jonathan Kent. Glenn Ford played it in the Donner film and Kevin Costner in the Snyder film.

Look at the cast list for the movie. None of these people are famous other than Hoult, Brosnahan and Gunn’s friend Nathan Fillion. Skyler Gisondo, Sara Sampaio, Wendell Pierce, Isabela Merced, Edi Gathegi, María Gabriela de Faría, Anthony Carrigan.

This movie has had its budget SEVERELY REDUCED. It is being made on a shoestring. It’s even being shot on the cheap with Atlanta standing in for Metropolis (Superman was shot in New York, Superman Returns in Sydney and Man of Steel in Chicago.). Given what David Zaslav did to Coyote Vs. Acme, he may not even have any intention of releasing it. If it was going to be released theatrically, it would need a fortune in vfx work (Man of Steel cost $225 million) and if they are willing to spend that much money then they probably would have bothered to cast the film with famous people. Even Gunn’s own Guardians of the Galaxy assembled a stellar cast including Glenn Close, Djimon Honsou and Benicio del Toro and that was untested IP. It’s unfathomable that a studio tentpole of such important IP would fill its cast with no-names.

This has actually happened before - a superhero film made out of legal obligations with no intention of it being released. Google Roger Corman’s Fantastic Four.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2024 2:20 AM

Isn't this meant to be the first movie of Gunns reboot? There's no way they try and disappear this movie given they're once again trying to get the DCU to actually happen. As for the lack of big names attached its hardly surprising since most actors with ongoing careers don't currentlywant to tie themselves to multiple superhero movies now the bubble has burst. Even Marvel is starting to have to plunge the depths and they don't have the WB/DC baggage.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2024 12:00 AM

[quote] A couple of months ago I predicted the movie was going to get shelved

And it looks like your prediction, along with the rest of your transparent, pathetic agenda, has turned out to be a joke.

Just like you.

Why not just start one of those “anti-woke” movie YouTube channels where you can spew your unbridled hatred for a movie you haven’t seen one frame of and demand the return of Zack Snyder to DC? That should give you 10-12 fellow incel simpletons who might give a shit.

You’ve already proven that you know nothing and couldn’t predict the time of day with a watch and three clocks. No one has any reason to pay you any attention.

You’re an admitted loser. Quit while you’re behind. You have nothing to offer worth anyone’s effort or interest.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2024 5:14 AM

I think it’s a license thing.

No one cares about Superman. “Superman Returns” in 2006 was a box office bomb and “Man of Steel” in 2013 did what a B-list Marvel character could do. You would think Superman is a billion dollar character like Batman and Spider Man are but he’s not.

Superman has also been on TV for 30 years. “Lois & Clark” in the 90’s, “Smallville” in the 2000s, and more recently “Superman & Lois”. What helped cause the Marvel / Star Wars / superhero fatigue was giving cinematic stories and characters TV shows. Batman has always been for the big screen if it’s not an animation. There was “Gotham” but it wasn’t the same vibe as a Batman movie so I don’t count it. With all that said, people can watch Superman on TV.

And maybe that’s why the budget is so small. They know Superman isn’t a billion dollar character. There’s no reason this movie should be a $200-300 million dollar movie, it would be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2024 5:46 AM

Superman, to me, is almost like Betty Boop. The merchandise and imagery is popular but not the actual product.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Christopher Reeves “Superman” in its entirety.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2024 5:48 AM

[quote]There's no way they try and disappear this movie given they're once again trying to get the DCU to actually happen

Unless they don’t want a DCU to happen.

Gunn was hired to run DC because according to the trades, he was the only person who said yes. No one else wanted the job because it was felt Warner Bros. was in the process of being prepared to be sold. Certainly Gunn would realize this, but at the time he was hired, October 2022, the earliest date of a potential sale (it just passed this April 8) was still quite far off. Gunn would still be able to do one film, and maybe if it was a hit he would be allowed to do more. But the film would need to go intro production fairly quickly, summer 23 the latest.

However, the writer’s strike and actor’s strike shut down production from May through November. Anything put into production now after that would become the burden of WB’s new owners to release. Additionally, by November of last year, Marvel was beginning to see a significant decline in box office and extended universe fatigue was cited as the cause.

So I think Warner Bros. was prepared to cancel the film but because of contractual obligations they allowed it to go forward, but with an extremely pared down budget. Gunn’s social media behavior became very strange late last year with him announcing everything he was doing (“Today I’m meeting with costume designers!”), it gave the impression that of creating evidence for a breach of contract lawsuit

[quote]There’s no reason this movie should be a $200-300 million dollar movie, it would be ridiculous.

It absolutely needs to be a $200-300 million dollar movie, because foreigners still go to movies on the basis of celebrities and expensive visual effects. I agree the story doesn’t need to be expensively told. There was an excellent alternative take on Superman published as the novel “It’s Superman” set in the 1930s that many people felt would make a great movie and wouldn’t need big expensive production values, it could probably be made like an A24 film, but it would never be made because that would never get foreign butts into seats. They want big explosions, giant monsters and fifteen famous people on the movie poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2024 12:16 PM

Martha Kent cast with a local Georgia actress

Diane Lane played her in the Snyder films, Eva Marie Saint in Superman Returns. The part in 1978 was offered to Joan Crawford who could not accept because of poor health. (Phyllis Thaxter played her.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2024 11:13 PM

But but the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel as Lois Lane!

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2024 11:28 PM

R6 Good. There’s no need for stunt casting. Hire actors appropriate for the assignment. She looks authentic.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 11:33 PM

[quote] So I think

And there’s your first problem.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2024 11:36 PM

No one cares about Superman and James Gunn is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2024 11:47 PM

[quote]Good. There’s no need for stunt casting. Hire actors appropriate for the assignment. She looks authentic

Just to be clear, we are talking about the man who hired Vin Diesel to voice a character who can only speak one sentence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2024 11:53 PM

The less said about this the better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2024 11:57 PM

r11 For a movie from 2014 when the MCU was at the height of its popularity and could throw as much money and clout around as it wanted. That situation is in no way comparable to the financial or cultural situation of WB in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2024 11:58 PM

Warner Bros. grossed 1.4 billion with Barbie. They just signed deals for Margot Robbie, Timothée Chalamet, Baz Luhrmann, Tom Cruise, Rian Johnson, M. Night Shymalan and John M. Chu.

Warner Bros. has money to spend. They simply do not want to give it to James Gunn.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 12:12 AM

The first Superman (1978) was the best comic book movie ever made. Is there another super hero movie (other than Dark Knight) with a 94% or higher on Rotten Tomatoes?

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 12:36 AM

Wonder Woman is at 93 now but debuted at 100.

Rotten Tomatoes is kind of stupid in that it adds reviews written years after the film was released.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote] I don’t think I’ve ever seen Christopher Reeves “Superman” in its entirety.

Well, in that case it must not have mattered to anyone ever.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 12:58 AM

[quote] The part in 1978 was offered to Joan Crawford who could not accept because of poor health.

Given that she was dead by 1978, that would have been a problem.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 12:59 AM

The film was released in 1978 but obviously would have been cast a year or two earlier. She died in 1977.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2024 1:04 AM

Superman was on the big screen in serials and cartoons of the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2024 1:29 AM

Gay people care about crap like this?

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2024 1:32 AM

I’m sorry r21.

Lisa vanderpump was such a fucking bitch to Jax last night!

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2024 1:57 AM

R22 👏

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2024 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!