Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Artist And Quilter Faith Ringgold Is Dead To Us

May she rest more peacefully than her artwork.

[quote] Ringgold adopted the mantle of storyteller – and a teller of Black women’s stories in particular. Although grand in scale, with their picturebook blending of text and image, the quilts demand intimate engagement, as if their creator is sharing a secret. Ringgold invited you to lean in close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote] “I became fascinated with the ability of art to document the time, place, and cultural identity of the artist,” she told the Museum of Modern Art. “How could I, as an African American woman artist, document what was happening around me?”

[...]

[quote] “I hope people will be inspired by my art and find the courage as I did to do whatever they feel moved to do,” Ringgold told Wallpaper magazine in 2022, “It takes courage to be free and express one’s own vision. Everyone is important and has a unique story to tell.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 11:28 PM

Thanks op. Never heard of the artist.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 11:32 PM

Being black doesn't mean you're better than everything out there. Picasso is the best. Just the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 11:37 PM

Lmao. Magat shitbag from hell..

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 11:43 PM

(I shouldn't take the bait but,) R3, can you at least direct your comments to the specific Picasso referenced in the article?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] Picasso is my hero. My hero, yes, because I love him! I don’t try to pick him apart. I don’t think he’s perfect in every way. But his art is, as far as I’m concerned. Well, he learned from the best, didn’t he? That was very smart for him to use African imagery, because it has a depth of feeling, and he knew to get it. And he did the right thing in that. Because it’s like the beginnings of art. It’s like the beginning of what Picasso went on with.

[quote] I wouldn’t accuse him of any kind of deliberate racism in his work. He was painting pictures. And he knows that he was inspired, and he used it the way he wanted to use it. And if you could see it, fine. And if you couldn’t, that’s OK, too — but I could see it. He left himself open to be inspired by art from any other culture. And that’s the thing that attracted me to him right away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 11:56 PM

She lived a long time for someone who sat most of her life.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 11:58 PM

Limp magat filth

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2024 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!