Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Golden Girls writer says 'wonderful' sitcom re-make will 'recapture the magic

A modern day reworking of iconic sitcom The Golden Girls is what TV audiences are longing for - but not a simply remake.

One of the show’s acclaimed writers feels that the Jane Lynch led planned sitcom take on Golden Girls will be "wonderful". Award winning creative David A. Goodman feels that while it’s easy to "trash" the concept, Lynch’s skills and "recapturing the magic" will lead to a big success. Goodman says that he sat back in awe watching Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty turn his jokes into TV gold.

Goodman also opened up on some moments with show star Betty and even mistakenly being "rude" to Quentin Tarantino - who played an Elvis impersonator. Goodman, who also penned The Orville and Family Guy episodes, is optimistic that "brilliant' Lynch and Cyndi Lauper’s project to create a "kind of a ‘Golden Girls’ for today" will be a hit.

In an exclusive interview with the Mirror US, Goodman said of the reboot: "I root for somebody to try to recapture something as exciting as that. As long as they're not redoing old scripts, as long as they're finding a fresh take. And I think it's wonderful to try to recapture. There was a simplicity to that show that I think audiences love, and if somebody can try to do that again, I think that's great.

"I've worked with Jane a lot. She's very talented, She's a delightful perfect person. I think that is very easy to trash that kind of effort as derivative or as, but that's not, but I don't think that's the goal of those writers. I think the goal is to do something funny and use a familiar piece of intellectual property to bring an audience in, but you've got to keep them. And so I'm all for that. It's about the writing and the acting.

"On that show, you had this incredibly talented group of writers and you had this incredible group of actors who were pros, who brought so much to the party. I wrote many jokes that came out of Bea Arthur's mouth, but once she said them, they weren't my joke anymore. They were hers because she understood how to play that character. So that's the goal.” Goodman, who is honored this month with the WGAW Morgan Cox Award in recognition of outstanding services to the Guild, added: “It's not going to be the same show. It's going to be its own thing.

"And it's so many years later, it's 35 years later, they've got to define it for themselves. But there are a lot of really talented writers in Hollywood and actors and performers. and they can create something memorable. It's never going to be easy, but just putting the tag of Golden Girls on your show doesn't make it easier. It makes it harder. And I'm sure they know that.”

With streaming services’ growth over the last decade, many traditional family sitcoms have been replaced with edgier, darker and even x-rated comedies. But Goodman insists that the biggest audience for networks and streamers will be family-orientated gag-filled dramas. "Comedy is always evolving, I think there is room for a Golden Girls-type show. Audiences still love well-produced Multicam shows, family shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 10:28 PM

Oh Christ no

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 8:25 PM

"It’s been off for a few years, but Modern Family was excellent, an excellent example of a show that was so well done, but also appealed to a broad audience. The problem is there, is there room for it? The problem is because the audience has been so segmented with streamers, whereas before we were all mostly watching the same television stations. Now everybody is finding their own thing.

"I absolutely think that audiences love that kind of the simplicity of a multi-camera comedy show where you're involved with family or a group of friends that maybe isn't as edgy. There were always shows that were edgier or darker, and then there were shows for a broader audience There really is kind of a longing for that type of show. I don't know why it's not being produced as much, Golden Girls remains one of the most streamed shows on Hulu and remains a hit on mainstream TV networks.

"The audience like something you can watch with your kids and t's a very simple, it's a very sort of simple thing to appeal to, but Golden Girls had some edge and even Friends has edge. But It's not extreme. At first when streaming rose, that was a function of the streamers trying to get attention, and now they're realizing they need to give them something a little more family oriented. Audiences love to settle in with a group of characters. That is always the thing that you can't be too cynical about your audience.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 8:26 PM

"This audience wants to believe that the characters on your show are real. People really do believe that the Friends are really real, that they're friends and that, or that the Golden Girls are these close friends and the audience wants to have that suspense, disbelief and engage. The audience wants to believe that the show is real. It's not conscious. People go to their televisions looking for connection. And now with the internet, people are finding connections that can be quite negative.

"But when you watch a television show that's well done, an audience connects a lonely person at home or a family looking to connect with themselves. If you can find that show that you can find connection with, it gives you a break from the stresses of this world."

Goodman says that his fondest memory of his time on Golden Girls was not with the stars, but a moment with a background actor playing an Elvis impersonator.

"There was the wedding mix up, and instead of the guests for Sofia's wedding, it was a large group of Elvis impersonators. During a break in filming, one of the Elvis impersonators came up to me and wanted to talk to me. And this is in 1989. And he said, ‘Hey, I really want to hear what it's like to write for the Golden Girls. Can you tell me about that?' And I didn't talk to him.. I said: ‘I'm very busy’ - and I was, but I wasn't that nice. I walked away, So 20 years later, I'm read an interview with a very big director talking about his first job as an Elvis impersonator on the Golden Girls, and suddenly the image instantly came back and it was Quentin Tarantino. I had ignored Quentin!

"So then I met Quentin a couple years later and I told him the story and I apologized and he said, 'oh, David, if you were a d*** to me, I'd remember you.'"

The Writers Guild Of America (WGA) are awarding Negotiating Committee co-chairs Chris Keyser and Goodman as joint recipients of the WGAW Morgan Cox Award in recognition of outstanding services to the Guild for their leadership through the 148-day strike. Goodman and Keyser were honored at the Writers Guild Awards L.A. show on April 14 at the Hollywood Palladium.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 8:27 PM

Shady Pines, David Goodman, Shady Pines...

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 8:43 PM

Looks like this has been in development at Netflix since 2019.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 8:51 PM

What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 8:56 PM

It was never "exciting". It was in the vein of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Matlock".

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 9:28 PM

Some things are better left alone.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 9:30 PM

Just. Don’t.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 9:31 PM

R7 I have trouble following Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 9:32 PM

Call it Golden Half Way House where everyone is an ex con.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 9:33 PM

Perhaps Teletubbies, r10?

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 9:34 PM

This looks like it's going to be an utter and complete mess. The fact that Cyndi Lauper will star in it is one of the most random things imaginable, and Jane Lynch is about as engaging as a piece of chalk, so I cannot imagine how "brilliant" her contributions are going to be. Moreover, the 80s were a time when women over fifty were allowed to actually age and it was possible to get someone childishly innocent like Rose and a stern-but-funny Dorothy, not to mention that Sophia and Blanche were truly shocking characters that defied expectations even if they were not necessarily realistic.

Nowadays, women are expected to look like mummified Barbie dolls and act like slutty 20-year-olds well into their 60s and in the digital age, it's impossible to find someone like Rose, Blanche is actually demure compared to many women in their fifties, Dorothy would be just bitter and Sophia cannot be replicated, because she was an invention that worked really well because of her "exoticism". Nobody believes that an Italian mamma born in the 40s in Sicily would have grown up in an isolated village where all sorts of crazy things happened, and be utterly insane because of it.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to this and I think that it's going to be a colossal disaster.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 9:52 PM

Is that article word salad or did the Clorox fumes just hit me??

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 9:54 PM

It’s a stupid idea that will never work. People will turn in to see how bad it is and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 9:59 PM

Fran Drescher as Blanche, Cindy as a wacky Rose, Jackie Hoffman as Sophia, Lynch as Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 10:18 PM

Jesus Christ. You know that s means yet another interpretation of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Super never gets tired of trotting out that increasingly irritating anthem. "Golden Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Hey, Now! Thank You For Being a Friend)"

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 10:26 PM

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!