Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California is green like Ireland now. That’s bad.

Because- assuming the weather returns to normal patterns soon - that means all this greenery will dry up by November and December, when the Santa Ana winds blow in from the desert, and a flicked cigarette or snapped powerline can set an entire hillside on fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 10:47 AM

California is green and why that's bad for California... Op, please tell us what would make you happy 🙄

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 7:09 PM

Because a green California is only a good thing if it’s regularly watered throughout the year. Watered plants don’t catch fire and burn easily.

If, as is expected, the rain simply stops and it’s bone dry for the next 8 months, all that lovely undergrowth becomes kindling.

State Farm JUST announced it will no longer ensure homes in Brentwood and Pacific Palisades. They know what’s coming.

Brentwood on the left, Bel Air on the right. It’s a miracle the Getty hasn’t burned down yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 7:37 PM

That’s not how it works Op

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 7:43 PM

So stop smoking!!!

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 7:47 PM

Well yeah, it's California. The only disasters you don't get are hurricanes. Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 7:48 PM

What's not to say the the Santa Anna's won't turn into wet Pineapple winds.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 7:50 PM

it's decided. Everything is terrible and we're all going to die.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 7:51 PM

R2- I live just north of NYC and we don't have a dry season. It rains all year round so we don't have droughts or mudslides. We do have HOT and HUMID summers which are most uncomfortable and fairly cold winters with a medium amount of snow but in recent years are winters have become milder and we receive significantly less snow.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 8:02 PM

If LA had a single pineapple express every month, there probably would be far less potential for wildfires.

Unfortunately nature doesn’t work like that.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 8:05 PM

Actually just you, r7

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 8:15 PM

But why is it bad for Biden?

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 8:22 PM

If the La Niña summer doesn' t happen in 2024 I think we'll be fine, and send our love.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 8:25 PM

Jesus Christ, I’m so tried of hearing about the weather in California.

For five years it was, “Oh no! It’s not raining enough!” Then for the last two or three it’s been, “Oh no! It’s raining too much!”

I wish you bunch of Goldilocks would make up your minds!

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 8:28 PM

"Forecasters estimate an 85% chance that El Niño will end, and the tropical Pacific will transition to a neutral phase between April and June. A La Niña pattern is expected to take hold by early summer."

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 8:31 PM

I wonder if La Nina is the cause of all the excessive rain/Nor'easters we've been having here in the Northeast since December.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 8:40 PM

R15, in a short answer, yes.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 8:44 PM

It is normal for it to rain in California from November to April, and for it not to rain in the other months. So the hills are green in the winter and brown (or golden) in the summer. The problem is that, with global warming, the land dries out much more in the dry months than it used to. So the fires are more frequent and worse.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 8:44 PM

L.A. rainy season is technically October through April but it tends to be concentrated in mid December through February. The problem is that they’re still getting plenty of rainstorms late in the season - it rained this weekend.

I took this at Griffith Observatory last week, the hills shouldn’t be this green, this is January & February green.

Like I said, if it rained every couple of weeks for the rest of the year it would be perfect- it would clear the smog too - but if it becomes dry for months and months, it’s going to be a serious problem in fire season. Ergo, State Farm going “I don’t know her” to Brentwood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 9:02 PM

[quote]Jesus Christ, I’m so tried of hearing about the weather in California.

So, you post on a thread about California weather. Life must be boring for you or...have you not had your fill of being irrelevant and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2024 1:36 AM

Jesus Christ, I’m so tired of hearing about the weather in California.

Cali is actually the belle weather showing the Global Warming trends.

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2024 10:24 AM

[quote]Cali is actually the belle weather

Oh, deer!

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2024 10:37 AM

I didn't make California for YOU.

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 10:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!