Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone else get super emotional when listening to "Don't Shut Me Down" by ABBA?

Especially the last part: "You asked me not to leave. Well, here I am again. And I love you still and so I won't pretend."

I like this more than any of their other songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 8:29 PM

Ode to Freedom does it for me. That three-note refrain is the perfect way to end the song and the album, BUT it makes me sad that it's the last thing we might ever hear from them.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 6:49 PM

It will have a special place for me because it's a very good ABBA song in its own merits and because it was such a clever comeback song.

I am suspecting that there are still songs from the past that were recorded but not released, like Just A Notion. They say there aren't any, but there are documents that suggest that there are many songs that weren't published for various reasons. Maybe they can arrange those and release (like the Beatles' 'Now and Then'). And even if they don't have unreleased songs, I wouldn't mind them rearranging some of the lesser known songs that have pretty terrible arrangements, like the ones that were recorded for the unreleased album after The Visitors.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 6:55 PM

“Just Like That” is the holy grail of unreleased ABBA tracks but Benny & Bjorn insist it isn’t good enough to release so we just got a short snippet on their 30 year old box set. I know there are versions all over YouTube but they’re all sourced from the same crappy bootlegs from the early 80s. B&B are probably right - the recording is decent but probably needed more tweaking both in the studio and lyrically. But it’s such a fun song (in that melancholy ABBA way) and the verses have one of Benny’s loveliest melodies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 7:58 PM

The swell up to that first chorus where we hear Frida and Agnetha harmonize for the first time in over 4 years made me weep. They're so special

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 8:13 PM

Patently stupid lyrics, but then again, that's ABBA. The first verse is someone just pointing at things around them in a park, which has nothing to do with the rest of the song.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 8:22 PM

^ It literally sets the stage and the mood.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 8:26 PM

Hardly, it then goes on to an old apartment. Nothing to do with a park. The rest of it is their awkward swedish-english nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!