Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do many women say that a workplace dominated by women often becomes dysfunctional, especially if the boss is a woman?

In my experience my male bosses have been more understanding and willing to help. Women bosses have had a my way or the highway complex and will insult you as oppose to train you. Women bosses also tend to micromanage petty tasks but ignore serious issues.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 8:58 PM

Men are easier to work with, but women are easier to bullshit. My experience 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 4:43 PM

Yes, OP.

My boss micro-manages the entire business. Only she can do the work. And she needs to take care of everything personally.

Down to replacing the tiny print cartridge on my adding machine. 🫤

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 4:47 PM

My experience is just the opposite, OP. All the women bosses I've had have been great. Fantastic. Supportive, competent, and just great to work for.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 4:53 PM

I've not found this to be the case. But I work in an industry dominated by women, not just a specific workplace in a male-dominated industry.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 4:53 PM

I am so happy you guys got to meet and know every female supervisor in the entire world! You certainly must have a wide acquaintance.

Now -- do you want me to tell you what gay men are like as supervisors? I've had my share of those.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 4:55 PM

Maybe your female bosses don't appreciate employees who ask questions they intend to answer themselves.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 4:56 PM

My female supervisors are the best.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 4:57 PM

I have not had good experiences with women bosses.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 5:00 PM

All the worst bosses I've ever had in my life were male bosses.

The top three best bosses I've ever had were a mixture of men and women.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 5:02 PM

My best (female) friend was pried away from a high paying job with male bosses to a female workplace where she was guaranteed sisterhood, non-lesbian. She said it was like high school. Bitchy one upsmanship, lack of team work and most bizarrely, the lack of male influence caused the workers to turn on one and other in the most menial circumstances. Because so and so did something to so and so last month, it meant that they couldn't work together on a project. She fled, screaming.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 5:02 PM

I had women bosses but I only disliked one and she was a former Marine.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 5:09 PM

They don't

The DL MRA brigade just wants to attack women

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 5:18 PM

There’s a distinction, I’ve found, amongst heterosexual and homosexual men and women in the workplace and how good they are as leaders.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 5:19 PM

Maybe there is a tendency for one gender or another to be harder to work with but in my experience it’s really the individuals involved that often define the group dynamic. I have worked in a lot of short term group situations. Many of them with a near gender numbers balance. I personally often will have a harder time taking instructions from women who have a giving orders to the soldiers like approach. Men are often more diplomatic or that’s what I recall. I have had female managers that were totally great to work for. Those same managers received complaints from other women that they were treating them unfairly. There is definitely gender dynamics that come in to play that have to be navigated.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 5:31 PM

R13 and DL would be one of the only places to admit that lesbians are generally great bosses, gay men not so much.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 5:34 PM

It's an even split for me, based on experience. All people suck.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 5:36 PM

R15 I didn’t want to come out and say that, but yep pretty much.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 5:44 PM

Most of my professional mentors were women and my best bosses were women as well. But I’m a gay man and I think that made a difference.

As good, as tolerant and as creative as my women bosses were, they sometimes had problems with other women in the office, and the worst work atmosphere I’ve ever experienced was where the office was mainly women with just a few guys. — The grudges, passive-aggressive behavior and loaded silences made for a terrible atmosphere. And most of the women I’ve worked with have been very honest about the fact that they preferred to work with men or in offices with a lot of guys.

Of course I do too but for other reasons . . .

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 5:45 PM

My experience working with women is that they work very hard and are easy to get along with but their absenteeism drove me nuts. If they had school age children then forget it, they were a part time employee at best.

Men were always a mixed bag. Some were the laziest bullshitters alive. Just worthless individuals. Some were great.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 5:48 PM

That crap about “women uplifting other women” is just bullshit. Many women ,depending on what kind of environment they came out of, can become envious and resentful of someone they perceive as having more or better.

They will then make life for that person living hell, which then feeds an already toxic work place

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 5:53 PM

People are people. He-She-Them, whoever, are good and bad managers and all managers are humans who have flaws. Staff members are also a mixed bag. And those that tend to blame quality of leadership on the leader's sex are particularly... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 5:58 PM

I have a woman boss and a male direct supervisor. Both are fine to work with.

The support staff (office) is 90% women, though. They are more of a problem than my woman boss. However, I do wish she (boss) would take the bull by the horns and squash some of the petty shit that goes on. It's petty, but collectively, it lowers morale. For me, at least.

On top of that, I just had to chip in for Administrative Professionals' Day, which is tomorrow, I think.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 6:13 PM

Agree with R21. Also if you can’t work with a woman, or you don’t get along with multiple colleagues, then you’re just not a very competent worker, and you have a personality problem. Similar situation with the type of person that has a lot of friends that they’re not friends with anymore.

I’ve worked for women, for men and I’ve never had a problem with anyone. There’s always so much projection in these threads lmao.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 6:18 PM

It's the truth. I love working with women in two-person teams (I like working with men too, it makes no difference for me). Larger teams I prefer to be mixed. The female bosses I had were deranged, and I mean they had spent time inside a psychiatry or were otherwise paranoid and/or deluded.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 6:22 PM

You cannot get a bunch of women together without having problems

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 6:27 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with R20

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 6:28 PM

In my experience, when it comes to power women tend to operate in extremes: they're either excellent or nightmarish monsters. The best managers I have had have been mostly women, but some of the very worst have also been females. Men, on the other hand, tend to gravitate towards the middle of the scale in most regards, although I have had more male bosses who were utter lunatic psychopaths than good ones.

However, I have noticed that environments where there are many women, especially middle-aged ones, tend to become toxic very quickly. Men also do gossip, spread rumours and behave like insufferable cunts, but women tend to take things to horrifying levels and are always the first ones to start defamation and bullying campaigns over nothing - in fact, the petty envy of female colleagues over the most trivial matters imaginable, has been the constant cause for MANY of the problems I've witnessed at work. Still, this doesn't excuse men, who have a very narrow pack mentality and mindlessly target anyone who is disliked by those in power like feral beasts.

In short, women are very problematic, but men are not that far behind in terms of sheer obnoxiousness.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 6:29 PM

A huge number of women will spin narratives and play psychological games and will get HR involved over situations they create but blame on someone else. Scary fucking cunts. Stay in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 6:40 PM

I've had very positive experiences with female bosses and managers. I've had truly awful experiences with black and gay co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 8:29 PM

How DARE you R29!

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 8:37 PM

Men want to undress you, women just want to dress you down.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 8:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!