Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paranoid Old Fart MURDERS Innocent Uber Driver - He Blames Phone Scammers (and Probably The Blacks)

According to police, the old man had been contacted that day by phone scammers claiming they had kidnapped a relative of his and would kill them unless Gramps paid a ransom. Around the same time, someone (perhaps the same scammer) requested an Uber package pickup at the old man's house. The job was claimed by 61 year-old Lo-Letha Hall, who showed up minutes later to pick up the package she was sent to retrieve. When she arrived, Old Fart pulled an ancient pistol on her, accusing her of being in cahoots with the scammers. He grabbed her phone and held her at gunpoint. When she tried to flee back to her car, he blew her away. The whole thing was captured on the woman's dashcam.

He's being charged with murder, and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison. Senile degenerate.

Somebody needs to take phones away from old fucks. And driver's licenses. And handguns. Just put them in nice little morgue drawers and let them wait out the inevitable without killing normal people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2024 7:54 AM

I hope they charge the assholes who pulled this scam. That poor woman and yes, that poor old man.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 3:42 AM

Honest mistake. Tragic and preventable. Senility or early onset dementia and guns is a disaster waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 3:44 AM

That poor lady. She was walking with a severe limp and did not appear to be a threat to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 3:46 AM

Angry Old White Man watches FOX News all day.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 3:48 AM

Sad story

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 3:49 AM

R1 If you're getting scammed on the phone, you hang up the phone. If someone threatens a family member, you call the cops.

You don't dig out your Beaumont-Adams and murder the first person you see.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 3:51 AM

The victim's obituary. They chose a good photo.

She had a son, two sisters, and a big family of people who surely cared for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 3:53 AM

R6 aka OP, we're not privy to all that went down before the incident. Why don't you hold off judgement and wait until all of the facts are presented.

As others have stated, he's 81. He may have dementia.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 4:14 AM

R8 We're privy to the information in the police report, which was enough to file murder charges against the old man. And he has not (as yet) claimed diminished capacity. He pled not guilty.

Seniors do some fucked-up shit as they navigate the modern world, with or without dementia. They get taken in by gift card scammers. They drive erratically and dangerously. They fall for banking scams, medical scams, romance scams, and cable news. And in their confused state, they occasionally murder innocent people.

We need to stop being so deferential to seniors. We need to enforce the law, and protect both us and them from the ravages of senility. If they can't safely drive, take away their car keys. If they can't tell an Uber driver from a ruthless kidnapper, take away their guns. If they sign over their entire estate to a Guatemalan sex goddess posing as a nurse, take away their power of attorney. But seniors vote, so America is too afraid of them to speak up in situations like this.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 4:24 AM

R9, you were not privy to the conversations which took place between the old man and the scammers.

I suppose you won't be happy until you see the old guy fry.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 4:30 AM

It's a weird thing to defend R1.

The video makes it clear as day she posed zero threat. The woman could hardly move for chrissakes.

And even if he did think she was part of the ransom scam, why kill her? How would that help his supposedly kidnapped relatives? It wouldn't.

He killed an innocent person. Maybe it wasn't premeditated. Maybe it was because he just freaked out over a stressful day. But it's murder.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 4:30 AM

What kinda gun is that? Looks ancient, almost comical. Shame it did such damage regardless.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 4:30 AM

[quote] you were not privy to the conversations which took place between the old man and the scammers.

That’s irrelevant. There’s no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 4:41 AM

R11, I'll wait for the evidence to be presented. I think he has dementia.

R13, it's not irrelevant, it's the crux of the case.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote]it's not irrelevant, it's the crux of the case.

You don't get to personally execute people you deem guilty, is the crux of our legal system.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 4:51 AM

R12 Clearly, he got it for service during the Mexican War, and held onto it for just such an occasion as this.

The ghost of Zachary Taylor (fearless general in that war, and later president for a year until he died shitting his brains out in the White House) would be so proud!

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 4:55 AM

[quote] and Probably The Blacks

Fuck off, troll.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 4:56 AM

how Roseanne Conner should have been killed off.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 4:59 AM

Ironyproof, Defacto at r17

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 5:00 AM

Is that Tim Stack from Son Of The Beach in the OP's photo?

What the Hell happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 8:02 AM

[quote] He's being charged with murder, and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

Honestly, good. He’s a danger to society.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 8:20 AM

Trigger happy old white man stood his ground. NRA and GOP hero.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 8:39 AM

That old guy who shot and killed the younger guy in the movie theater … old guy had a trial and got convicted of murder.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 8:41 AM

Shit i am sorry. old fart in movie theater found not guilty. imo, that fucker was guilty. just listening to him speak during interrogation, he sounded very with-it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 8:43 AM

The poor woman. That was awful. Why no arrest for the person who ordered this Uber? The news said that Uber cancelled their account for this. wtf.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 10:17 AM

R10 I won't. He should fry. He killed a defenseless old woman with a family.

I cannot believe a woman that age--who shuffles to move-- has to drive for Uber. Her children should be ashamed.**

**You're correct. I don't know her circumstances BUT we've seen it all before

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 11:37 AM

R20 He dead.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 11:38 AM

R20 My bad. His career's dead. He's not

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 11:39 AM

There is something especially sad when a person nearing retirement age gets gunned down while on the job. She was just trying to earn a living.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 11:48 AM

Someone that old and obviously lacking in common sense should not have a gun.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 11:59 AM

What’s “Uber package pickup”? I didn’t even know that was a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 12:00 PM

My husband has dementia. One of the first symptoms that led us to take him to a neuropsychologist was his being taken in by phone scammers. I came home one day to find he had just retired from Target, having purchased several thousand dollars of gift cards, whose serial numbers he had read to the phone scammer. The damage was done that time. Another time I came home to find him wrapping $3000 in cash in a box to mail to a scammer. He was always convinced they were legitimate. He had been a tenured Ivy League professor—dementia is equal opportunity. I immediately had access to bank accounts and credit cards limited to me, got him to stop answering the phone, and, after an incident in which he was stopped by the police for driving the wrong way down a one-way street at 2 in the morning (I was sleeping in a different part of the house that night and didn’t hear him leave), he lost his driver’s license. Dementia creeps up on you and being able to tell the difference between “normal” aging (some forgetfulness, etc) and serious cognitive decline is not always easy to tell. The incident is tragic, both for the poor woman and her family, but also for the man, who clearly seems to have dementia (whatever his legal plea) and who should not be on his own. I’m lucky in that I’m retired but much younger than my husband, so can devote myself to his caregiving and, barring some dramatic physical decline, will be able to keep him at home. The core @him” is still there, but, oh, what changes to our lives. Society doesn’t have very good options for people who don’t have family, spouses/partners, or friends. We fail as a community.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 12:04 PM

Geez, the OP is a seething with hate psychopath. The murderous old man might be able to claim dementia as his defense but the OP has nothing. He is literally calling for death for people he things are 'life unworthy of life'....like his brothers in 1930s Germany.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 12:12 PM

thinks

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 12:12 PM

Tragic, and that photo is horrific.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 12:13 PM

[quote] What’s “Uber package pickup”? I didn’t even know that was a real thing.

I didn't know about either. It's called Uber Connect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 12:20 PM

R32 oh honey. I hope you have a good support system in place. My thoughts go out to you.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 12:33 PM

R32, went through the same things with my mother. The driving the wrong way which resulted in us taking her license away. Then the phone scammers. She eventually went into Assisted Living and we took the phone away completely. She didn’t notice.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 1:35 PM

[quote] I hope they charge the assholes who pulled this scam

Theyre not in the US

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 3:53 PM

I don't answer my phone if it's a number I don't know. Why do these these really elderly people always answer the phone? Is it landline thing? Almost every call I get is a number labeled "telemarketer" or "spam risk". Never answer. The other numbers are labeled "mom" and such. If it's unknown, leave a vm.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 4:03 PM

R40 Elderly people learned these things in an era where trust was more absolute and reliable.

It would never occur to them that someone would use the phone lines or the mails for a nefarious purpose. Surely the Better Business Bureau would forbid that!

It would never occur to them that a white man sitting behind a desk on television might actually LIE to them. Surely no liar ever gets on television!

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote] I cannot believe a woman that age--who shuffles to move-- has to drive for Uber. Her children should be ashamed.**

She didn't look that old, IMO. Maybe her children couldn't afford to support her 100%, financially. I would not have been able to support my mom, financially, when she was that age.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 5:55 PM

This story makes me so sad and hopeless. That poor woman . I hate that man and these scammers should be put away for life.

Just the look on her face- It makes me just want to die.

Cruel world/ Fucked up times.

May she rest in peace and may the universe treat her kindly .

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 5:58 PM

Very sad..I understand why the old man did this, right or wrong

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 6:00 PM

r40 they answer the phone because they are lonely ...

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 6:01 PM

In My Free State if a darkie so much as looks at ya property you can blow em straight ta Hell.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 6:05 PM

[quote] R1] If you're getting scammed on the phone, you hang up the phone. If someone threatens a family member, you call the cops. You don't dig out your Beaumont-Adams and murder the first person you see.

Isn’t that just common sense. Do we need to start delivering sage advice and taking away problematic things when delivering meals on wheels. Are old people going to be the undoing of society.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 6:08 PM

OP, everybody gets old, if they're lucky. You're lack of compassion for both parties here is what stands out as offside to me. Even if he doesn't have dementia, old people are highly vulnerable because they don't understand technology. He wouldn't have been able to surmise under any circumstance that this woman was not related to the situation. You sound very young. You will learn once you're faced with aging with members of your own family.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 6:08 PM

I literally have no sympathy for the Old Man. Millions of Americans are unfortunately walking around/ living every day with Dementia. The Difference? They don't HAVE ACCESS TO LOADED GUNS AND STILL HAVE GUN LICENSES.

WTF- we take people's driver's licenses away when they are a danger to themselves and others on the road, and if ANY person(s) had the responsibility was in any way "looking after" this man ( family/guardian/ spouse) they SHOULD have taken away his access to lethal weapons.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] WTF- we take people's driver's licenses away when they are a danger to themselves and others on the road

I had a fender bender with an old person reversing out of his driveway. We both stopped, after the crash. His grandchildren (what they appeared to be) came out of the house and seemed totally not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 6:15 PM

Wow. Poor lady.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 6:18 PM

i won't feel safe in this country until every last person is open carrying an ak-47

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 6:20 PM

R48 Age and infirmity are no excuse for violently murdering a stranger.

I have aging family members. Everyone does. But the loopy old buzzards in my family (who are also largely alcoholics and/or pill-heads) are wise enough not to keep loaded guns around the house. In true Protestant tradition, we rot indoors with the utmost discretion.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 6:21 PM

I agree with you overall r49, but that actually makes me sympathize with him more. In our stupid, fucked up gun nut culture, of course the last thing you can do to anybody anywhere for any reason is OMG "take his gun." That is the bigger problem here. If we lived in a saner country, yes, somebody would have decided this demented old fuck has no business having a gun. But not in fucked up gun nut culture. No how, no way, that's his most sacred right.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 6:21 PM

When the church gets all the seniors property we call it a donation. In Mexico the Schools get the property if there’s no other arrangements.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 6:21 PM

[quote] [R40] they answer the phone because they are lonely ...

Get a dog, or if that is too much work / too much responsibility, get a pet rock or a robo cat.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 6:24 PM

That poor woman. She certainly looked like a threatening criminal

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 6:26 PM

[quote]She didn't look that old, IMO.

I agree. It said she was 61. That’s only a few years older than Jennifer Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2024 8:06 PM

She was fleeing him. He just kept advancing. I don’t doubt he was scared from these phone calls. It’s like Fox News came alive and was coming for him.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2024 8:15 PM

At some he chose to have a loaded weapon regardless of dementia. My family has a history of mental illness. I have no children and know as I age there is real possibility I won't be able to making good or safe decisions but as long as I decide I am fort to live alone then my actions are my responsibility. This means not keeping loaded guns in my home.

This man chose otherwise and he can now live with the consequences or drop dead. I don't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2024 8:26 PM

The maga in him demanded he kill a frightened black woman fleeing him. Him advancing on her shoes he felt dominance of the situation. He wasn’t frightened. He was angry.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2024 8:30 PM

*shows

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2024 8:31 PM

Uber package pickup seems like a terrible idea. They should get rid of this.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2024 8:31 PM

R63 yeah .Amazon delivering packages at four or five in the.morning also seems like a r ally bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2024 8:34 PM

I can't feel compassion for him sorry. Pulling a gun on her, ok. Shooting her multiple times when she ran? No.

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2024 8:38 PM

Uber Porch Pirate

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2024 8:45 PM

[quote] At some he chose to have a loaded weapon regardless of dementia

The gun was old. He probably had it for 50 years. And when people get dementia they don’t say, “Hey, I’m demented now…I probably shouldn’t have a gun.”

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2024 9:48 PM

[quote]And when people get dementia they don’t say, “Hey, I’m demented now…I probably shouldn’t have a gun.”

Their children or other family members should say so.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2024 10:00 PM

Cold blooded murder.

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2024 10:01 PM

I just saw a report on Inside Edition. The reason she was limping was because he shot her in the leg. She was trying to reason with him by telling him she was there to pick up a package. He says "I know" thinking she was sent to retrieve the money and you could tell he was agitated. He then shot her in the shoulder and the third shot was the final blow. He then called the police and told them what he did.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2024 11:18 PM

R68–Assuming there is family around—and that’s not always the case.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 11:22 PM

[quote][R68]–Assuming there is family around—and that’s not always the case.

If there are family members around, and they are aware of these elderly people’s mental decline, and they don’t do anything to take away guns and take away driver’s licenses…then maybe we need to start looking at pressing charges. If they can prosecute those Crumbley parents for their child committing a school shooting, then maybe it’s time for prosecutors to start taking a harder look at cases like this.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 11:34 PM

R67 well like seeing to a will and all the other things you have to do as you age maybe that's something to consider. It's not like it was some antique he kept on a shelf it was fully loaded and in firing condition.

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 11:51 PM

He'll lose every last dime he has plus his house on defense (both criminal and civil). I'll guess they'll use "Diminished Mental Capacity". Self-Defense is close to a non-starter. He'll get stuck in a state hospital for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 74April 17, 2024 12:05 AM

So, the scammers requested the package pickup, thereby putting the woman in jeopardy.

They scare the shit out of the old man by threatening his family and put the victim in the line of fire.

I wonder if the scammers were someone who knew the old man? How else would they know about him and his family?

Shouldn't Uber have information on who it was that requested the package pickup (and who paid for that service) as well as information as to where the package should be delivered?

by Anonymousreply 75April 17, 2024 12:41 AM

There’s a lot we’re not being told.

by Anonymousreply 76April 17, 2024 1:17 AM

Will Republicans make him into a hero like they did with Kyle Rittenhouse?

by Anonymousreply 77April 17, 2024 6:20 AM

Sad story

by Anonymousreply 78April 17, 2024 6:49 AM

[quote] The maga in him demanded he kill a frightened black woman fleeing him. Him advancing on her shoes he felt dominance of the situation. He wasn’t frightened. He was angry.

He also took away her phone and wouldn't let her leave.

That's not self-defense. That's an execution.

by Anonymousreply 79April 17, 2024 6:53 AM

Did anyone watch the video at the bottom of the obituary link at R7?

It was heart breaking.

How devastating for her family.

by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2024 6:59 AM

This is exactly why we removed all of my grandfather's guns from his house. He has lewy body dementia. Once he started going on about getting "orders" from "The General" to "report" somewhere and calling 911 to tell them he'd been "shot by the enemy" we knew it was time.

Honestly, he needs to be in assistant living but, the VA has this thing about not covering veterans who happen to go cuckoo later in life unless it's due to a "service connection."

by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2024 7:18 AM

^ *assisted living

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2024 7:19 AM

Sort of like car insurance companies having this thing about not paying for replacements if your house gets robbed.

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2024 7:24 AM

Also, her poor son. I can't imagine what he's going through right now. I lost my dad, but something about your mom just hits different. And when it's sudden, violent, and on film? Holy shit. My heart goes out to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2024 7:28 AM

Her funeral service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2024 7:30 AM

She was a beautiful human being. My heart breaks for her loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 86April 17, 2024 7:37 AM

It’s Ohio, which is the Florida of the North.

by Anonymousreply 87April 17, 2024 9:33 AM

What was the con here? If they had just called him, what was she supposed to have picked up? Whatever cash he had laying around? Maybe he agreed to that with the thought of pulling a gun when they arrived? That’s worse than getting flustered by the call and overreacting in a panic when someone shows up unexpectedly. Because he would have had time to call the police immediately after the call instead of being a vigilante.

by Anonymousreply 88April 17, 2024 10:17 AM

That's what I don't get, R88. Why have two separate con games meet? It makes no sense on the part of the conman, unless they were attempting to have this outcome happen. It seems like someone who knew this man targeted him for a setup (knew he had a relative incarcerated, possibly that he had a weapon, maybe even his mental capacity).

by Anonymousreply 89April 17, 2024 10:36 AM

R42 Dude, THAT'S why I added the asterisks.

It was based on what I've seen. I couldn't afford to take care of my mother after my father passed. So I moved back home and made some concessions. You do what you can BUT in many cases, it's lazy fucking children not doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2024 11:29 AM

usa is in a sorry state with all the guns and all the crazies. i blame a cynical refug government. distraction to cover the transfer of wealth

by Anonymousreply 91April 17, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote] What was the con here?

I don't think it was a "con." I think it was a prank.

A very stupid, very deadly prank.

by Anonymousreply 92April 17, 2024 3:29 PM

stupid old cunt

by Anonymousreply 93April 17, 2024 3:56 PM

#BoomerArrognace

by Anonymousreply 94April 17, 2024 4:00 PM

Horrible story. The prankster needs to be found and charged with involuntary manslaughter. Or something stronger.

by Anonymousreply 95April 17, 2024 4:09 PM

R95, someone posted the scammers live in another country. Uber supposedly cancelled their accounts, well duh. They should be extradited, charged and tried.

by Anonymousreply 96April 17, 2024 4:46 PM

[quote]#BoomerArrognace

81 years old is Silent Generation

by Anonymousreply 97April 17, 2024 5:33 PM

I can book drug runners and getaway cars via uber and live in another country? Sweet!

by Anonymousreply 98April 17, 2024 5:37 PM

I'm assuming "phone scammers" means Indians?

by Anonymousreply 99April 17, 2024 5:56 PM

If the people who requested the Uber pickup lived in another country, exactly how was the package supposed to get to them?

WTF is Uber doing with such questionable actions.

Uber should have some liability for this whole debacle.

by Anonymousreply 100April 17, 2024 5:58 PM

What r75 & r92 said. Possible scenario: this could have been set up by anyone he knew who held a grudge. Disgruntled neighbors, bitter family member. Of course there's no money or threat. The point was to fuck with this guy for their own satisfaction, to get back at him or something.

by Anonymousreply 101April 17, 2024 6:45 PM

It’s possible the old guy partially fell for the prank/scam and told them he only had “several hundred” or “a few thousand” dollars in his home as a way of putting them off, or of buying time.

The perpetrators told him he’d better have that cash or else (!). Said they’d come get it, and we’re planning to have it dropped off at an accomplice’s home: someone who could deny ever contacting Uber or the guy.

If the cash arrived, the perpetrator and his distant “cousin” would split the loot. If cops showed up instead, the accomplice could say, there must be some kind of mistake; he has no idea why anyone would give Uber his address for a package delivery.

by Anonymousreply 102April 18, 2024 12:36 AM

Uber is now cooperating with police, indicating they know who made the bogus request.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 18, 2024 7:06 PM

I feel so bad for her and her family. But my question is where the package scammers who tricked her and the phone scammers that harassed the idiot who killed her one in the same or in league with one another?

Reminds me of a tragic case where a teenager committed suicide because he was catfished and blackmailed by asshole scammers from Nigeria who have yet to be prosecuted.

I'm constantly getting scam calls from fake electric companies or Medicare offering plastic cards nonstop even though my phone number is up to date on the do not call registry.

They're clearly using a spoof program that constantly generates one time phone numbers falsely based in random virtually unknown small towns all over the country each time.

by Anonymousreply 104April 18, 2024 7:28 PM

You people know that if you have a history of a phone number that anyone can look you up online, get your phone number, your age, find your old addresses and the names of people “associated with” you, aka your relatives. It’s not hard.

Besides, they don’t even need to know your relative’s name. A scammer called my mother and said, Grandma?” She automatically said, “Mike?” Scammer then said yeah it’s me, Mike. He said his voice sounded funny because his nose was broken. He’d been in a car accident. He was in Mexico because his friend decided to get married and they all went to Mexico. He got in an accident and the police were now holding him in jail. They beat him up. If she didn’t send $2,000 the police were going to beat him again. Please Grandma, please help me.

He also said, “Don’t tell anyone. This is our secret, ok? Keep it between us.”

He said to send the money via western union.

It’s possible this Uber driver was there to pick up the money and was instructed by scammer to take it to western Union and given an address where to send it.

Western Union now asks people (especially old people), “Do you know the person to whom who you’re sending the money?” because of scammers.

So the scammer — rather than letting the old man go to western Union and be questioned and possibly be tipped off it’s a scam — instead sends an Uber driver to pick up the money. Uber driver gets money, takes it to western union and is asked by western Union, “Do you know who the person you’re sending this money to?” Uber driver says “Hell no, I’m just doing my job. I don’t give a crap about who it’s going to.”

Or the scammer might have the driver pick up the “package” ….. the drive doesn’t know there’s money inside….the scammer has given an address to the driver to send the package.

I doubt the driver was going to take the package to the scammer. The scammers aren’t in the US.

by Anonymousreply 105April 21, 2024 1:29 AM

He doesn’t look remorseful in that photo at R103. Is that a mugshot?

by Anonymousreply 106April 21, 2024 1:46 AM

R105 - What happened with your mother (Mike's Grandma)?

by Anonymousreply 107April 21, 2024 3:24 AM

[quote]I'm assuming "phone scammers" means Indians?

The scammer actually called back as the police were there investigating; the caller didn't sound Indian (not even an Indian putting on a bad American accent):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 21, 2024 3:43 AM

The flat tone makes me think speech to voice AI

by Anonymousreply 109April 21, 2024 3:52 AM

Text to voice, I mean

by Anonymousreply 110April 21, 2024 3:53 AM

Why would Western Union want to complete a transaction involving a clueless Uber driver?

by Anonymousreply 111April 21, 2024 3:56 AM

I was thinking that too, r109.

by Anonymousreply 112April 21, 2024 6:41 AM

R105 Thanks for the mansplaining but WE already know that.

by Anonymousreply 113April 21, 2024 11:04 AM

[quote]. Why would Western Union want to complete a transaction involving a clueless Uber driver?

Why not? It’s their job to send money. An Uber driver comes in tells them to send the money to address XXX, hands over money…what’s the problem? That’s what Western Union does. Takes money, sends it for a price. If Uber driver pays the fee and hands over money, transaction is complete.

by Anonymousreply 114April 21, 2024 2:08 PM

Here’s a video of an old woman who got scammed. She said “a courier” came and collected the money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 21, 2024 2:29 PM

Has anyone determined if Yosemite Sam here had children or grandchildren who could’ve been babysitting him or cutting off his access to phones and bullets?

by Anonymousreply 116April 22, 2024 8:30 PM

No media seems to be investigating this case any further

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2024 12:02 AM

[quote] Thanks for the mansplaining

Not a man

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2024 12:03 AM

I blame Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2024 12:21 AM

[quote] I blame Alec Baldwin.

Me too. Old man didn't know it was loaded and didn't pull the trigger! He was just practicing killing a black person.

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote]R52: i won't feel safe in this country until every last person is open carrying an ak-47

𝐀𝐫𝐜𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐚 (𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎), a short film. Set in the not too distant apocalyptic future, Earth is under invasion from computer/arcade aliens, tensions run high and teenagers still want to 'go out'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2024 7:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!