Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've gone back to regular liquid detergent. No more Tide Pods for me!

Tide Pods seemed so convenient and easy to use; but it takes forever for them to dissolve, and I don't think they get your clothes as clean. I'm back to liquid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 18, 2024 6:07 PM

I like detergent sheets. They work well for me

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 1:52 AM

For a real kick, try economical powdered detergent, the old school detergent.

If you think it doesn't dissolve as good as a liquid, put the power in a cup, add some water, and stir. Then add the detergent to the tub.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 2:00 AM

Never got the pod thing. Is it that time consuming to just pour it in? I never measure and probably use far less than they recommend but it gets the job done. It’s not like I get filthy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 2:03 AM

Liquid Tide for me.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 2:05 AM

Persil is the best liquid, and a little goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 2:08 AM

Same. And sometimes the plastic from the pod sticks to my clothes. I'm going back to liquid detergent.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 2:39 AM

I still use powder.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 2:41 AM

I use whatever's on sale. Last detergent I bout was Arm & Hammer that was on sale for $6. Detergent is really all the same.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 3:31 AM

You're soaking in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 3:48 AM

I'm sticking with my yummy Tide Pockets 🤗

@r2 "If you think it doesn't dissolve as good as a liquid, put the power in a cup, add some water, and stir. Then add the detergent to the tub. "

Well, Granny Clampett, why don't you just make your own lye soap in a caldron out by the CEE-ment pond? 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 4:04 AM

The pods are designed for people who cannot be trusted with cleaning supplies - children, drunks, and spoiled men who never had to do their own laundry.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 4:33 AM

I use pods for laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and coffee!

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 4:41 AM

Hard to find powder now. Maybe the dollar store.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 6:26 AM

I really notice how clean my clothes get with Tide and my agitation washer.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 6:28 AM

Powdered Oxydol and you get a free towel.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 6:57 AM

[quote] I use pods for laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and coffee!

I was actually wondering whether there was a correlation between Tide pod users and Keurig disposable K-cup users.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 6:59 AM

The liquid detergents are nearly all water - I’m not paying for a huge jug of water.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 10:10 AM

Fresh Start was my go to back in the day. They need to bring it back and package it in a paper box to be better for the environment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 10:43 AM

r17 wins this thread.

Liquid laundry detergent buyers sure are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 10:45 AM

[quote] I never measure and probably use far less than they recommend

R3 that's what they don't want.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 11:07 AM

Tide pods are for weak, arthritic old people.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 11:11 AM

Can’t buy powder, no one sells it near here. And whoever recommended Persil, how do you tolerate the scent? It’s horrible.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 11:49 AM

My favorite detergent is powdered Original Tide. Pods suck.

I've gone back to powdered Cascade for dishes as well.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 11:58 AM

I buy the large bottle of Tide detergent and it lasts for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 12:22 PM

I use Tide powder, borax, and vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 12:26 PM

I use old school Tide powder in its giant box. Minimal plastic and water consumption is important to me in a product, and the laundry is the cleanest. Tide is like a vice though, I have to have my Tide!

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote] I've gone back to regular liquid detergent. No more Tide Pods for me!

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 12:29 PM

Persil Powder is best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 12:32 PM

I just like the convenience of pods as they are lighter, take less space and easier to trudge to the laundromat. I can't drive and carry my laundry and supplies a half mile in a laundry bag.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 12:44 PM

Mmm, I love my Tide Pods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 12:45 PM

[quote]I use whatever's on sale.

You shouldn't do that. Those off brand detergents don't get your clothes as clean. You have to use Tid.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 12:59 PM

Thanks r11. It's such a trivial thing, but I've wondered why pods are necessary when regular detergent works just fine. Your explanation makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 1:04 PM

The only time I use pods is when I'm traveling and need to use the hotel laundry room.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 1:05 PM

[quote]spoiled men who never had to do their own laundry.

I have an uncle in his seventies who's never done a load of laundry in his life, or washed dishes. My aunt has been doing all of that for him for fiftysomething years. He says he doesn't even know how to operate a washing machine or a dishwasher, as if that's something to be proud of.

Those straight Boomer men really are clueless about basic household tasks. They've been waited on hand and foot by their wives who are basically live-in maids and they take pride in that.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 1:08 PM

How come the US doesn't have bio detergents like in the UK? I've never seen it here.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 1:16 PM

[quote]Hard to find powder now. Maybe the dollar store.

I've seen the old fashioned powdered Tide at certain stores. I've never used it but it's still around.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 1:19 PM

r31 Arm & Hammer costs half as much and gets your clothes just as clean as Tide.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 1:20 PM

[quote]I've wondered why pods are necessary when regular detergent works just fine.

I would assume that it takes the fuss out of measuring and it's simple and easy for people with busy and hectic lifestyles. If you have 3 kids, and carpools, and meal prep, throwing in a pod shaves a few minutes off a busy schedule.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 1:26 PM

If it takes you "a few minutes" to measure detergent, you're doing it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] Arm & Hammer costs half as much and gets your clothes just as clean as Tide.

Reviews usually disagree with that statement. Usually Tide and Persil come out on top because they include the most enzymes and therefore are able to handle most types of stains and dirt. Even other P&G or Henkel detergents are less effective because they don't add as many types of enzymes in the cheaper brands.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 1:54 PM

I'm fine with liquid detergent. They are flexible in terms of adjusting to the load. If I just wash half a load and use one pod, I feel wasteful. My pet peeve is that all liquid detergent bottles steer you to overdosing. The opening, the cups - they all make you use way too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 1:58 PM

You can find powdered detergent on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 1:58 PM

@r34, "I have an uncle in his seventies who's never done a load of laundry in his life, or washed dishes. My aunt has been doing all of that for him for fiftysomething years"

That's my dad, he's never been in a grocery store either. He sits out in the car and waits for my mom

But, to be fair, my mom has no clue how a car works, how to pump gas, how to start a lawn mower... It all evens out

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 3:17 PM

When I had to lug everything to the laundromat or to the machines down in the basement, I just put a 1/2 cup or whatever of powder/liquid into a small container. Do pods contain fabric softener? I never use that.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 3:39 PM

r22=Mariska Hargitay

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 3:50 PM

I think you are only supposed to use a tablespoon of liquid

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 3:51 PM

If I don't buy Duz, how will I finish my set of Southern Traditions smoked glass stemware?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 3:52 PM

^ To go with your towel set...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 4:13 PM

There are those in the know about Charlie's Soap and it still comes in a powder. But you can buy the liquid version now as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 4:17 PM

I fell for that “the WEALTHY simply buy the detergent that’s cheapest by the ounce because they all work the same.”

I wound up buying “Ecos”. It doesn’t have a scent and it’s supposed to be greener - you can tell it’s ecofriendly because the bottle is ugly perhaps recycled plastic.

I have to pretreat stains using this stuff and it still takes two washes to fully remove grease. I cook like an idiot. Or, I eat like a pig.

I have to work through 2/3rds of a gallon of Ecos before I crawl back to Tide.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote] If you have 3 kids, and carpools, and meal prep, throwing in a pod shaves a few minutes off a busy schedule.

This sounds like consumer frau logic.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 4:22 PM

I boost all my washes with oxygen bleach - the powdered stuff. In fact you need way less detergent when you combine. Except blacks. They get the special liquid detergent for black. And it REALLY DOES WORK, to slow fading of black.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 4:32 PM

Women want more time so we can all sit around and discuss emotions, play passive aggressive mind games, and focus all our attention and energy on them.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 4:34 PM

Some of you people must be real pigs, my clothes don't get so dirty that I need to be some kind of chemist to get them clean

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 4:40 PM

bio detergents

If by that you mean enzymes, yes you heard everyone, we just assume they are there, we have after all passed the knuckle walking stage, despite what you people think.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 4:43 PM

I'm Beverly Boyer and I'm a pig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 4:44 PM

^ You're a slut too, Beverly 🤨

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 4:45 PM

R45. Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2024 4:49 PM

I tried Persil, but it has a funny smell. I went back to regular Tide. I refuse to use hippie detergent, anything all natural or earth friendly usually sucks.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2024 4:50 PM

I use half Tide liquid / half 70s throwback Lestoil for every load and the clothes always come out very clean. When you unload the washer there is a faint scent of Lestoil, but that vanishes in the dryer.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2024 4:53 PM

My Grammy used to use Lestoil. Haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for the memory.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2024 5:07 PM

[quote]Hard to find powder now.

I can hook you up.

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2024 5:09 PM

I knocked pods for the longest time. Now I’m obsessed with the Tide power pods. Not for convenience, but because of the amazing smell. It’s seriously addictive.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2024 5:35 PM

Just don't freebase them, r63

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2024 5:37 PM

R37, very hard disagree. Growing up my parents mostly bought A&H to be economical and save money. The rarer times they bought Tide - I remember using less and the clothes still coming out cleaner (and less stiff / cardboard like!). I loathe A&H detergent.

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2024 5:38 PM

R64, 🤣🤣 not gonna lie. On more than a few occasions after loading the machine, I’ve stood over the Tide Pod box and sniffed for at least a minute straight.

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2024 5:39 PM

I use Persil pods for heavy loads and detergent sheets for light loads. I won’t use cheap detergents as you do as R65 said, have to use twice as much or more of the cheap stuff

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2024 5:59 PM

I use the Kirkland (Costco) unscented. I tried to use powdered, but it just wouldn't dissolve. When I did use powdered, I used some kind of "mountain fresh" scented powder. I think it was Purex. I also used Tide and Dreft, the one for babies.

I like just buying that large jug of Kirkland and not having to buy any soap for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote] I just like the convenience of pods as they are lighter, take less space and easier to trudge to the laundromat. I can't drive and carry my laundry and supplies a half mile in a laundry bag.

This seems like a reasonable reason to use the pods.

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2024 6:08 PM

r65 detergents have changed a lot in the decades since you were a kid.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2024 6:17 PM

I use Method Free + Clear liquid detergent. One bottle lasts forever, and there is zero scent (Method does make scented detergents, though). I occasionally do laundry at my mom's and have left a jar of Method detergent at her place so my laundry doesn't smell like her Tide. It's not a bad smell, but I want no smell.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 6:18 PM

I think powder works best in the old school washing machines. A good ole solid Kenmore, top loading, with an agitator.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 6:20 PM

I have a Kenmore, top-load, with agitator. The powder didn't work well.

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 6:22 PM

[quote] I think you are only supposed to use a tablespoon of liquid

Close. It seems to be 2 tblsp which is really a lot less than the lids of those bottles suggest. I use a bit more because of my hard water, but yeah, the required liquid detergent is really low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 6:32 PM

[quote]The pods are designed for people who cannot be trusted with cleaning supplies - children, drunks, and spoiled men who never had to do their own laundry.

Thank you r11. This made me laugh really hard.

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 6:52 PM

Do you have Ariel washing detergent in the USA? Here in the UK it’s one of the most popular brands.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 6:53 PM

Which one works best for beating your clothes against a rock down by the river?

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2024 6:57 PM

I think Europe's Ariel detergent has the same cleaning ingredients as Tide in the US. There is Ariel in the US, but it is the same they have in Mexico which is different from Tide/Europe Ariel. I love Europe's Ariel. It has a nice smell.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2024 6:57 PM

The old gay I live with got the sheets, they go in first because they stick, I found this out by having white detergent pieces all over the clothes, I prefer the pods.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2024 10:20 PM

I always use original, unscented liquid Persil, R22; yes, their scented formulas are attacks on the olfactory system.

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2024 11:50 PM

[quote]The old gay I live with got the sheets

You shouldn’t talk about your father like that.

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2024 11:52 PM

OP, you don’t mean laundry, right? This is just what you’re huffin’ these days?

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2024 12:13 AM

[quote] If I just wash half a load and use one pod, I feel wasteful.

As well you should... all that water and energy spent on what, three underwear and a pair of socks? Wait until you have a full load to wash.

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2024 12:43 AM

I guess I'm the only DLer who makes his own powdered detergent?

I started making it about a dozen years ago.

When I put together my detergent ingredients, I make a year's worth at a time. Takes about an hour or so.

by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2024 12:58 AM

[quote] my detergent ingredients

What are they, r84?

by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2024 1:01 AM

I used to live in a shitty building. Not so shitty that someone would steal my laundry out of the basement laundry room, but potentially shitty enough that someone might steal my big jug of liquid detergent. So with pods I could bring laundry down with the dog and then go directly out to walk the dog while the wash cycle ran. Without having to go all the way back up to my apartment to put the detergent away. Seems like an extremely minor convenience now, but it felt like a big improvement at the time.I don’t know why I still using them, though. Pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 86April 17, 2024 1:12 AM

R85 --

Arm & Hammer Washing Powder, 20 Mule Team Borax, shredded and granulated laundry bar soap (various brands like ZOTE, Fels Naphtha, or some Asian laundry soap ), and Kroger brand oxygen bleach powder.

I use a Mouli to shred and granulate the bar soap.

I dump all the ingredients in a big plastic container that originally held some Halloween pretzels packets.

Put the lid on and shake to blend. Easy work to make enough detergent for a year's use.

by Anonymousreply 87April 17, 2024 1:13 AM

Thank you r87

by Anonymousreply 88April 17, 2024 1:14 AM

R86 you could bring the detergent down in a paper cup or in small plastic container.

by Anonymousreply 89April 17, 2024 1:16 AM

I use pods for dishwasher but I combine a tide unscented detergent with a special added scent. I'm a diva when it comes to laundry but I'm just doing mine and occasionally my husband. If I was doing laundry for a whole family I'd take the easiest route.

by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2024 1:17 AM

There was a chemical type smell in my glassware when it came out of the dishwasher so I looked up a homemade detergent recipe and it works great: like R87 I use 1 Tbsp Arm & Hammer Washing Powder, 1 Tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax, and a Tsp of Citric Acid Powder.

For a while, I put an open bowl of vinegar on the top shelf but I read somewhere it could screw up your pipes. Maybe the citric acid will too but it makes my glasses sparkle more than they ever did before.

For laundry, I used to use pods but have switched to Unscented Beyond Laundry Detergent Strips because usnews said they were the best. I feel better about not using the huge ass liquid detergent bottles but I liked it for treating spains. I'll probably keep some around just for that (or the Spray N Wash stuff but there's the bottle problem again.)

We aren't going to solve the plastics problem until the government makes businesses use more glass, metal and cardboard containers, like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 91April 17, 2024 1:25 AM

* STAINS, not spains (but I think I need a holiday)

by Anonymousreply 92April 17, 2024 1:28 AM

@r84, "I guess I'm the only DLer who makes his own powdered detergent? "

Yeah, Granny, you're the last of a breed 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 17, 2024 3:32 AM

OP has stated his boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 94April 17, 2024 12:18 PM

Only the poors do laundry. I simply wear everything just once, then buy new. My discards are ceremoniously given to my fatter servants knowing the clothes will never fit. Their anguished disappointment is delicious every time.

by Anonymousreply 95April 17, 2024 12:21 PM

My God stop with the make your own shit, like make your own sausage shit, just stop, no does this.

by Anonymousreply 96April 17, 2024 1:50 PM

[quote]Wait until you have a full load to wash.

Does that apply to jacking off as well?

by Anonymousreply 97April 17, 2024 2:06 PM

[quote]The old gay I live with got the sheets

Stop taking him to Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 98April 17, 2024 2:07 PM

The pods are one of the evil sources of microplastics in the environment, and an avoidable one.

by Anonymousreply 99April 17, 2024 2:53 PM

[quote] The pods are one of the evil sources of microplastics in the environment, and an avoidable one.

And liquid detergent was a harmless agent when washed into water systems.

by Anonymousreply 100April 18, 2024 12:09 PM

Making my own laundry detergent is very rewarding for me, akin to when I donate one morning a week at my local food bank.

by Anonymousreply 101April 18, 2024 1:00 PM

Thank you for the celery, R101. It costs 6.99 at QFC.

by Anonymousreply 102April 18, 2024 3:37 PM

I'm still using LUX.

by Anonymousreply 103April 18, 2024 4:28 PM

I’ve gone back to DUZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 18, 2024 4:46 PM

Those HE machines are picky bitches. I wouldn’t put powdered soap in one, but to each their own.

Many of the bodegas and Hispanic grocery stores sell powdered detergent. I was in one yesterday with big buckets of Tide powder.

I use liquid Tide, whichever iteration is on sale at Ollie’s. I’ve been traveling so I bought some Hex sample packs and they’re great too.

by Anonymousreply 105April 18, 2024 6:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!