Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Holy fucking shit! Jonathan Bailey gets male lead in new “Jurassic” movie opposite Scarlett Johansson

This is a huuuuuuuuge deal for an openly gay actor. Maybe unprecedented?

I wonder if he will play adult Timmy and Scarlett will play adult Lex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2024 1:30 AM

[quote]The new movie will be a completely fresh take on a Jurassic era with Jurassic World castmembers Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard not expected to return, nor the original trilogy’s thespians Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern and Sam Neill. David Koepp penned the script.

I've only seen the first two films in the original trilogy, but if there is no Chris Pratt, I'll go see this.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2024 1:09 AM

I'll see it even if Chris Pratt is in it. Bailey is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2024 1:27 AM

This is a casting decision that wouldn’t have been made even a couple of years ago. Especially since Bailey did such explicit love scenes in Fellow Travellers.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2024 1:42 AM

Nobody gives a shit about Jonathan Bailey in Jurassic Park. Anyone who goes to see those shitty movies doesn't pay attention to who's in it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 1:47 AM

r3 things are changing and it's great. All of us on DL are old enough to remember when an openly gay actor in leading roles was impossible, and it wasn't even all that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 1:47 AM

Fresh? Sure…that’s the first word that comes to mind after Jurassic ….

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 1:50 AM

Good for him. It's definitely not going to be any kind of brilliantly written character. He'll probably be playing a scientist with a kid or a scientist without a kid who pretends he doesn't like kids but secretly has a soft heart for some kid he finds himself responsible for protecting. For a movie series all about continuation of the species, the main characters are consistently asexual.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 2:14 AM

Hopefully at some point the dinosaurs will tear his clothes off

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 2:19 AM

Johnny breaking the glass ceiling so to speak!! Love it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 3:21 AM

the real stars are the dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 3:25 AM

[quote]Nobody gives a shit about Jonathan Bailey in Jurassic Park. Anyone who goes to see those shitty movies doesn't pay attention to who's in it.

Why are you so unhappy? When you are feeling down, do you make it a point to try to being everyone else as miserable as you?

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 3:57 AM

[quote] Why are you so unhappy? When you are feeling down, do you make it a point to try to being everyone else as miserable as you?

Because it annoys you and that brings me pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 4:02 AM

No Chris Pratt, you say? I might actually go see a Jurassic movie again.

[quote]opposite Scarlett Johansson

Eugh, can she maybe not? Can't we get some exciting new ingenue instead? So tired of her mug.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 4:03 AM

OP - Both Joseph Mazzello and Ariana Richards are still in the business, and still have their SAG-AFTRA cards. Their parts won't be recast.

I only wish they'd quit making these sequels, and find another IP to rape.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 4:04 AM

[quote]This is a huuuuuuuuge deal for an openly gay actor. Maybe unprecedented?

Ahem.

Sure I got killed but in Gone Girl....but....

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 4:06 AM

Was just about to create a thread about this. Another article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 4:07 AM

r15 this is a big summer blockbuster monster movie. No relation to Gone Girl.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 4:11 AM

I've had a crush on him for years, before Bridgerton. Glad he is doing so well

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 4:13 AM

Oh good, a Jurassic movie. I guess the horse's leg twitched a little? My god.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 4:17 AM

R15 I loved the sequel to that film:

Tyler Perry's "Girl, I Thought You Was Gone!"

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 4:26 AM

R14, recasting the Jurassic Park kids wouldn’t be like replacing Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia. The last Jurassic World movie proved that no one cares all that much about the characters anyway, even the ones played by Neill, Dern, and Goldblum.

Audiences definitely don’t care about Joseph Mazzello and the retired Ariana Richards.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2024 4:26 AM

R21 Only because A) The stories have gotten ludicrous and characters play little part in them anymore, and B) The property has gotten so old that many adult filmgoers today have never seen the original trilogy, or haven't seen it in decades.

The original message of the novel/film has long since gotten lost. It's no longer a morality tale about the limits of scientific engineering and the arrogance of achievement. Now it's about...hippie kids saving some cuddly dinosaurs while running shitless from other dinosaurs who aren't as cuddly. And some of the dinosaurs are teachable, but others (even of the same species) are vicious killers. Oh, and now there are freakish chimera dinosaurs, because apparently, they couldn't bring back one of the hundreds of perfectly vicious real-life dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 4:33 AM

They should do a "back to basics" Jurassic movie. The lore's gotten out of hand now, those dinosaurs are about to set up their own society at this point.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 4:45 AM

Nah, they should let the franchise rest and WRITE A NEW MOVIE.

Seriously, does anyone in that shit-water berg write any original material anymore? Everything is a sequel, a prequel, a reboot, a tie-in. Lazy fucking writers, and lazy fucking customers.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 4:48 AM

The rumour is that Colman Domingo is up for the villain role in the film so that would be two gay leads.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 4:55 AM

[quote]Both Joseph Mazzello and Ariana Richards are still in the business, and still have their SAG-AFTRA cards. Their parts won't be recast.

Sure, Jan

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 5:02 AM

They'll round out the rest of the cast with minorities and /or foreigners, but they'll all get eaten so it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 5:39 AM

Big gay payday

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 7:18 AM

[quote]Because it annoys you and that brings me pleasure.

I prefer masturbation if I want to bring myself pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 12:16 PM

Oh, PLEASE. Nobody gives a shit that he's gay, OP. Except the people who want to fuck him through their computer monitors.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 12:19 PM

Playing the romantic lead against a gay man? I'm sure Scarlett will be pulling from personal experience when acting.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 12:39 PM

Who is the audience for this? I would expect Scarlett to back out. Jonathan Bailey is not A list. He's some TV actor, and not a very good one.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 12:49 PM

Isn’t Joseph Mazzello gay? He’s part of Team Podwall. He’s in love with Ben Hardy and keeps a cardboard cutout of him.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 1:03 PM

[quote]I would expect Scarlett to back out

$$$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 1:17 PM

R32, he's a better actor than Scarlett. Or Chris Pratt

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 9:11 PM

R30, people care. That's why Hollywood is reluctant to cast out actors in romantic leads

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 9:12 PM

[quote]He’s in love with Ben Hardy and keeps a cardboard cutout of him.

Seems like that would make anal sex uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 9:15 PM

It’s pretty significant when you consider Bailey’s FT costar Matt Bomer has never been offered roles this big in movies, and he’s just ten years older. This type of decision wouldn’t have even been made five years ago, They even preferred to cast gay movies like Call Me By Your Name with straight actors.

IIRC there was an article about Bailey’s casting in Wicked and someone said that even though it was a big tentpole movie, he was “allowed” to be cast because the genre and subject matter were already pretty faggy (paraphrasing.) The same can’t be said for this.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 9:31 PM

Wow. This is awesome. And he’d be perfect casting for adult Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 10:11 PM

Jonathan Bailey actually looks more like young Joseph Mazzello than Joseph Mazzello looks right now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 11:18 PM

I don't know who he is, but he's very cute!

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 11:19 PM

What are they supposed to do- bump pussies?!

by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2024 12:19 AM

This might actually get me to see it in the theaters

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2024 1:20 AM

[quote]This is a huuuuuuuuge deal for an openly gay actor.

To star in a failed franchise? Great, now the gay actor will get blamed when it flops like the last one.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2024 1:31 AM

[quote]people care. That's why Hollywood is reluctant to cast out actors in romantic leads

Wrong. Gays are cast in everything now. No one cares except you who's still living in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2024 1:32 AM

R45, no one might have liked the last Jurassic World movie, but it didn't flop. It still crossed the billion dollar mark at the global box office, even though it was more about locusts and cloned kids than actual dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2024 1:40 AM

R46, no, out gays are not generally cast as romantic leads in big budget films. Why would that be the case if "no one cares"

You must be living in a cave if you don't realize that.

by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2024 1:52 AM

DEADLINE: "Bailey has strong ties with Universal as he is set to appear in its anticipated Wicked adaptation. The studio is high on the project after making it the big reveal during its CinemaCon presentation, and sources say they were high on his performance following the shoot."

Oppenheimer and Wicked are Donna Langley's babies. She's said to be ecstatic with the Wicked movies, so it's not a surprise that he's getting more prime roles with Universal. There's already some Oscar buzz for him in Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2024 2:01 AM

He looks like an elf.

by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2024 2:13 AM

Donna Langley also greenlit Bros, which I know everyone here love to hate, but which was a very big leap forward for a major studio to release.

by Anonymousreply 51April 17, 2024 2:14 AM

Jonathan Bailey wouldn’t probably have been considered for this role if he didn’t look like an elf

Everyone remembers what Joseph Mazzello looked like in Jurassic Park, even if they can’t even remember his name

But they remember his big ears

They needed someone with big ears or the audience wouldn’t believe it’s grown up Tim

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 17, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote] He looks like an elf.

Jurassic Park meets Santa's Village

by Anonymousreply 53April 17, 2024 2:40 AM

Does he have a boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 54April 17, 2024 2:59 AM

Yeah, being gay is no big deal in Hollywood anymore. Go talk to Leonardo Dicaprio, Bradley Cooper and Chris Pine.

by Anonymousreply 55April 17, 2024 3:11 AM

Given the (still) ongoing obsession with IP resurrection and role reprising, it would seem a bit odd and kind of a slap in the face for Joseph and Ariana if Tim and Lex are recast. But it does make some sense.

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote] There's already some Oscar buzz for him in Wicked.

No there isn't.

by Anonymousreply 57April 17, 2024 3:28 AM

Wicked Jonathan Bailey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2024 3:45 AM

[quote]it would seem a bit odd and kind of a slap in the face for Joseph and Ariana if Tim and Lex are recast.

…I tend not to have too much faith in the moviegoing public but I think other than a handful of autistic fanboys, the public is willing to accept the reality of show businesses and the necessity of casting stars in blockbuster movies instead of former child actors who haven’t done anything special in thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2024 4:28 AM

Are we supposed to know who that is?

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2024 5:05 AM

R60, he was in Bridgerton and Fellow Travelers and is in the upcoming movie Wicked.

You really don't know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 61April 18, 2024 2:19 AM

Jonathan is helping to replant coral in Maldives. He is so natural in the water and swims like a Mermaid. Look at him swim with sharks, sea turtles and eels. He's very athletic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 18, 2024 2:39 AM

Looks like Jonathan is fucking this 20 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 18, 2024 8:54 PM

I'm pretty sure she will steal the role away from him in the last minute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 18, 2024 9:00 PM

R63, don't be a dick.

by Anonymousreply 65April 18, 2024 9:01 PM

He has the same mouth as Chris Evans these days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 18, 2024 9:01 PM

r63 leider nein, a lot of people have that shirt.

by Anonymousreply 67April 18, 2024 9:02 PM

R48, no one said he was playing the romantic lead.

by Anonymousreply 68April 18, 2024 9:04 PM

Not two, but three wore the sparkly blue shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 18, 2024 9:17 PM

R67, I'm aware. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 70April 18, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote] He has the same mouth as Chris Evans these days

Cum-stained with chafed lips?

by Anonymousreply 71April 18, 2024 9:55 PM

You can't look at these pictures and tell me that he's not perfect to play James Bond. Just look at the video on the second slide. Jonathan is the new Cary Grant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2024 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!