Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retirement Party

I’ve been invited to one - for my cousin. Are you supposed to bring something? I’ve never been to one. Parties as so not my thing, but it’ll look bad if I don’t go.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 12:48 PM

One always brings something to a party.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 11:48 PM

How about something easy like a gift card to a restaurant or a membership to a museum?

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 11:49 PM

How much should a person spend on a gift card, Greg?

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 11:51 PM

R3, I love Greg's suggestion. I think it depends on how close you are to the honoree. But I think $40 or $50 should do it. Don't go for some 5 star Michelin restaurant. Find out what kind of food he enjoys. For example, if he loves Italian, or Asian, or Middle Eastern, or Mexican. Then find a nice restaurant you think he'd enjoy. Or get him gift card for Amazon so he can get himself something. Or if he golfs, get him some golf stuff. Or tennis stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2024 12:06 AM

An urn.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2024 12:09 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2024 12:09 AM

Bring him wine or a special bottle of some high end liquor. The guys got my dad Crown Royal. He had high blood pressure but he loved him some Crown Royal. Had stroke and died a year after he retired.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2024 12:12 AM

I feel like a retirement party is an “It’s the thought that counts” type of occasion. Something inexpensive, but reflective of the retiree’s interests. Personalized golf balls. A book about sailing.

A gift card seems weird to me. Museum membership is nice, though. If it’s an interest.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2024 12:16 AM

Many years ago when my boss retired, we in the department bought him a pair of high-end binoculars, as he was a birder and we knew he'd continue with that. Find out what your cousin's hobby is and buy them something related to it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2024 1:33 AM

A subscription to Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2024 2:02 AM

When I am invited to a party I always make sure to cum.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2024 2:11 AM

Bring a dish of cod and ice cubes.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2024 2:14 AM

You must be pretty young if you've never been to a retirement party, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2024 2:20 AM

Prepare a song and dance routine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2024 2:22 AM

I’m not, R13. My cousin and I are the same age - 59. I dread going to events like this.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2024 2:35 AM

Yes, bring a present but nothing expensive.

If your cousin is an asshole, give him a box of Depends, a case of Ensure, etc. or something even worse that would make him an object of ridicule at the party.

If you cousin is okay and you got on fairly well through the years, give him something nice. You know him, you will figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2024 2:43 AM

R15 Then I'm surprised you never had to go to a work retirement party. But I guess you didn't. I've been to maybe 10.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 3:04 AM

Just go to your local bakery and pick up a few pastries. It's just a token when you walk in the house; you don't have to buy enough for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 5:37 AM

Your cousin does not need a gift other than a card accompanied by a small box of pastries.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 5:39 AM

[quote] A gift card seems weird to me. Museum membership is nice, though. If it’s an interest.

What I meant specifically was a gift card (certificate) to a nice restaurant—but a restaurant that the recipient will appreciate and enjoy. If someone enjoys dining out, that seems like a very nice gift. And I would likely spend $100 on it.

I didn't mean an Amazon card or an AmEx card.

Another option is a bottle of Champagne. One cannot go wrong with Champagne.

Or, if you know that the recipient enjoys single malt Scotch, you might get a nice bottle of a favorite Scotch.

I remember on my fortieth birthday, a friend gave me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and I thought it was such a lovely gift.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 12:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!