Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the most beautiful restaurant you have ever eaten at?

A place so gorgeous that even if the food sucked you would recommend it?

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 6:25 PM

Der Weinerschnitzel

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 10:18 PM

My mother's kitchen.

Not a restaurant, but I wouldn't tolerate food "sucking" at a restaurant no matter what the view or decor. For Christ's sake, these desperate doltish threads.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 10:20 PM

R2, thank you for being that person whose taste is entirely in their mouth. Now, if you wouldn't mind taking your superiority complex and fucking yourself with it for the rest for the rest of the night, we'd be ever so obliged.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 10:26 PM

Sorry OP, if the food at a fancy restaurant sucked, I wouldn't be happy to pay a pricey bill for the food even if it were the Taj Mahal. The ambience is import, but not more than the food you went there for.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 10:35 PM

The Flagstaff House way up in the mountains outside of Boulder Co. Not only is the food excellent, but the view will knock your socks off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 10:37 PM

I don't really care if the restaurant is gorgeous and the food sucks...the food still sucks and that's why you're there in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 10:44 PM

Any clean restaurant with a fabulous view in a fabulous location. Cairo, Istanbul, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Venice, the Alps, Paris, New York, San Francisco, Pacific Coast etc etc etc.

The most drop dead view can be found in the modest restaurants up on the mountain in Zermatt.

For classic ambiance, Pavillon Ledoyen Paris and l'Hôtel de Paris in Monte-Carlo.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 10:44 PM

McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 10:46 PM

The rock quarry

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 10:48 PM

You will note, R4, that I never said the food HAD to suck.

Just that if it did, the venue would still be worth a visit.

I go to restaurants for ambiance, service, drinks, noise level all first first. Food comes second and sometimes not at all.

That said, the food can be excellent in places that provide the first four.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 10:52 PM

Italian restaurants in general always look so sumptuous and steeped in glamor, so I will say Italian restaurants, yes, even if the food sucked, which of course it never does. Has anyone eaten at an Italian restaurant that didn't have outstanding food?

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 10:57 PM

R11 Let me introduce you to Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 10:58 PM

R11 - unfortunately the coastal cities of Italy are filled with mediocre restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 10:59 PM

The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Boston (when the Ritz was located on Arlington Street overlooking the Public Garden...before it moved to the most unlikely location on Avery Street).

The old Ritz is the brick building on the left...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 11:37 PM

McDonald’s on Main St.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 11:40 PM

The Brave Bull

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 11:41 PM

Don't laugh but the view from the windows of the dining car of the California Zephyr are really great and the food served on Amtrak's long distance trains is surprisingly good.

The ever changing views of the Rockies while enjoying a good meal is pretty fine.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 11:46 PM

Del Taco—the one on Prairie.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 11:48 PM

Le Train Bleu in Paris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2024 11:51 PM

Not technically a restaurant but the regency club on the top floor of the Hyatt Regency Paris Étoile. The food and free booze are great but can barely focus on them because of the view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2024 11:52 PM

That’s a shitty picture if you’re trying to get us there…

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2024 11:56 PM

The photo doesn’t do it justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2024 12:04 AM

Here's the Gornegrat hotel, restaurant, ski station in Zermatt. You take a cog train from the town. I've even slept in the little hotel. It's all very functional Swiss. The food is all serviceable and won't break the bank. It's heavenly on a sunny day without much wind. But it's entrancing in all kinds of weather. One time I stayed over because I was skied out and there was a storm that night. The walls are thick stone. I woke up early in the morning and a snowy mist had penetrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2024 12:20 AM

[quote]unfortunately the coastal cities of Italy are filled with mediocre restaurants.

Fortunately the coastal cities of Italy are also filled with fabulous restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2024 12:23 AM

OP is struggling, and even spouts an irrelevant whatever as she tries, tries, tries.

And, again, the question is for what?

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2024 12:29 AM

Rock n roll Hardees’ on Clearlake

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2024 12:31 AM

La Grenouille NYC - gorgeous flowers, very good food, and the most flattering lighting you can imagine… everyone looks beautiful in this room!

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2024 12:55 AM

R25, I'd like to know what restaurants have beautiful design/architecture/views/atmosphere.

I am sorry if that does not make sense to you.

BTW, how many times DID your mother drop you on your head?

Could you round it down to the nearest hundred?

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2024 1:04 AM

Restaurants are decorated?

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2024 1:10 AM

I attended a wedding at Tavern On The Green many years ago. The weather was perfect and the decor with amazing floral displays was quite a sight. I have zero recollection of the food.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 1:18 AM

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 1:31 AM

R30 that place was more tacky than Jackie at her tackiest. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 1:47 AM

Warner LeRoy was very tacky.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 1:51 AM

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Terminal

71 Above in LA at the Library Building

The dining room at Claridge's (prior to present ownership)

Café New York in Vienna

The Boat House in Lambertville, NJ (a bar rather than a restaurant)

The Grill (formerly the Four Seasons) in the Seagram Building at New York

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 2:21 AM

New York Café is in Budapest.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 2:30 AM

The old Four Seasons restaurant in NYC. Though it had a very masculine look befitting a power lunch place for (mostly) men for the first couple of decades.

The food wasn’t bad either, though it was orobably fussy by today’s standards.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 2:36 AM

I was just a kid, but I remember dining at a restaurant that was full of beautiful birds. It was otherworldly lovely with pink and white cockatiels, parakeets and swans 🦢. It was very stylized in a way only the late 1960s could be. I don’t remember a damn thing about the food.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 2:43 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, L'Hotel Paris. The restaurant is small and intimate, moody. lux fabrics, cut silks and mohair, menu has become a little too haute for me, I prefer a more bistro menu.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2024 3:02 AM

Between the “a” and the “t,” OP.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2024 3:04 AM

The Olde Pink House in Savannah

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 3:12 AM

How is the food at The Grill, r34? I've wanted to eat there for a while.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 4:03 AM

Leg de Spread e Oprah

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 6:14 AM

I went to this place in Cape Town because my partners relatives wanted to go there. I'm not a foodie but I seem to recall the food was pretty good, but the reataurant was absolutely amazing, I could live in it. I spent time between courses just looking at the interior

Link is to their gallery which should give you some idea of the look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 8:42 AM

Restaurants with really good ocean views are not know for having the best food. Adequate, yes, but it's hard to find a combo of great view and exceptional food.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 6:16 PM

The coolest looking restaurant I've ever eaten at is Rules in London. I ate there before Downton Abbey made it more famous than it already was.

The food was very good, too. Rich (buttery).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 6:19 PM

94th Aero Squadron anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 6:21 PM

Greens restaurant in San Francisco (Marina) has a very nice atmosphere. Mediocre food, IMO.

It's a vegetarian restaurant. I'm pretty much vegetarian except for occasionally fish / shellfish. So, it wasn't the vegetarian food that bothered me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!