Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Parent Trap (1998)

Walt Disney Studios 1990's remake of the 1961 Hayley Mills romantic comedy classic was an instant hit. The remake follows two girls who discover they are twins separated at birth and work to reunite their transatlantic parents.

The film was the last of the Charles Shyer/Nancy Meyers partnership which saw a series of highly successful films such as Private Benjamin, Baby Boom, and Father of the Bride Part I & II.

Lindsay Lohan, in her first feature film, perfectly plays the twin girls. Dennis Quaid is the California vineyard owning Dad, while Natasha Richardson is the elegant London-based Mother. The rest of the cast include Elaine Hendrix, Lisa Ann Walter, Simon Kunz, Polly Holliday, Joanna Barnes, Maggie Wheeler, and Sir Ronnie Stevens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 3:36 AM

This movie always seemed to paly on ABC Family Friday Night Movies along with Annie

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 7:30 PM

This movie taught me to dunk my Oreos in peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 7:34 PM

Going to sound like a big old Mary, but this movie is one of my all time favourites. It's so well done, and Lohan is mesmerising.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 7:38 PM

It's a pretty good remake, but can't touch the original.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 7:39 PM

Loved the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 7:39 PM

DL fav Joanna Barnes play the gold digging whore in the 1961 version and returned to play the gold digging whore's mother in the remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 7:49 PM

R4 I prefer the remake.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 7:49 PM

Love the scene when they are getting on the yacht:

Dennis Quaid: "So, how exactly are we paying for this?"

Lindsay Lohan: "We pulled together our allowances..."

DQ: "Hahaha, yeah right, Annie..."

Lindsay Lohan: "Alright, Grandfather chipped in a little bit."

Natasha Richardson: "Annie!."

Lindsay Lohan: "Okay....Grandfather chipped in a lot."

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 7:56 PM

Overall I liked the remake better. The original had one of my favorite TV homes though. Those wigs on Hayley were awful.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 8:01 PM

Only trash enjoys that tragic remake.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 8:07 PM

Lord, calm down R10. It's a movie therefore subjective. DL attracts some real trolls.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 8:09 PM

They are both equally wonderful

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 8:11 PM

I think it's probably a generational thing as to which version you prefer. I saw the original as a very young child and enjoyed it, but the remake came out in my teens so that was the one I grew up with and resonated with me more.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 8:12 PM

The remake is more enjoyable and watchable. Better acting too

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 8:14 PM

R10 did actually make me laugh out loud! I love the passion so many posters bring to the DL, on such a varied range of topics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 8:16 PM

I think Lindsay Lohan was a better actress than Hayley Mills.

The twins in the 1961 version were both supposed to be American-raised, just on opposite coasts, but Mills still sounded 'veddy Briddish.'

In the 1998 remake, one twin was brought up in the US and the other in England, and Lindsay did very well with the English accent.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 8:53 PM

It's too bad only Lindsay continued getting any acting gigs. I thought the girl playing her twin did a great job but she doesn't seem to have done any movies since.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 9:08 PM

Ive only seen this once but I appreciate that Lisa Ann Walter had a nice role in this movie. I was always frustrated on her behalf at her lack of a breakthrough in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 9:11 PM

R18 true! I didn't see her in anything really until Abbott Elementary

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2024 10:22 PM

It's a fun movie

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 3:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!