Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN axes Charles Barkley and Gayle King’s weekly show ‘King Charles’

The CNN weekly prime time talk show co-hosted by basketball loudmouth Charles Barkley and CBS morning star Gayle King has ended a six-month run that failed to produce ratings.

The weekly call-in show “King Charles,” which aired at 10 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday nights failed to generate more viewers than reruns of the sitcom “Friends” and episodes of “South Park.”

It was the lowest-rated prime time weeknight series debut for CNN in at least a decade, according to Nielsen.

When the show launched in November, CNN said it planned to air it through the early spring.

Since debuting in November, “King Charles” viewership fell 20%. The first airing was watched by 500,000 total viewers and 139,000 in the advertiser-coveted 25-54 age demographic, according to Nielsen.

The show’s Jan. 31 episode failed to crack the 100,000 viewer threshold in the 25-54 demo — the first time it couldn’t reach the six-figure mark, Nielsen numbers show.

A CNN spokesperson said that the show was “a great addition to CNN’s lineup” and that the viewership was among “the youngest, most affluent, and most diverse” audience in cable during its time slot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2024 12:01 AM

Can you believe it? I'm stunned.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 5:20 PM

Was Oprah reached for comments?

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 5:22 PM

Did they talk about colored related topics ? Like that light skinned colored singer Buoyancy?

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 5:27 PM

I don't understand, they just covered King Charles topics? Like, what he got up to that week and so on?

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 5:30 PM

I love Barkley.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 5:33 PM

Gayle and girlfriend Ozemprah are insufferable. I can't change the channel quick enough when Gayle appears.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 5:33 PM

I had no idea it was even airing; I thought it was still in the pipeline.

Oh, well, too bad...I guess?

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 5:37 PM

Of course O blamed Barkley's dragging it down and is taking Gayle to Katmandu for a spiritual purge.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 5:39 PM

I am shocked!!!! Shocked I tell you!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 5:39 PM

But, but, rich, famous people shooting the shit. That HAS to work!!!

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 5:39 PM

I suppose the millions dumped down the drain can be renamed Slave Reparations to Charles and Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 5:42 PM

CNN's nightly line-up isn't great. I bet there are missing Lemon and Cuomo...

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote] I bet there are missing Lemon and Cuomo...

You're joking right?

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 5:46 PM

Charles & Kale should have taken a Thelma & Louise madcap road-trip and ended it similarly, no?

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 5:46 PM

They were told, not axed.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 5:50 PM

The show was aborted

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 5:51 PM

Thanks for trying kids!

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 6:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 6:09 PM

If CNN were smart they would get Cuomo and Lemon back immediately. At least they had ratings.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2024 6:15 PM

Only on DL. Lemon tanked the morning show before his mouth did him in.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2024 6:16 PM

No one could have made that CNN morning show work. Don was fine in his late night spot.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2024 6:18 PM

With a name like "King Charles", it was bound to fail. Miserably!

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2024 6:20 PM

Don is a braying ass.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2024 6:21 PM

Gayle's got some big tits in that publicity photo.

And they're sagging.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2024 6:23 PM

Hardly surprising. I'd rather watch a talk show starring the actual King Charles.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2024 8:31 PM

That dress she insists on wearing certainly didn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2024 8:37 PM

R26 nailed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2024 8:42 PM

Anderson Cooper is next. CNN's primetime ratings are in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2024 8:45 PM

OP reveals himself as a right-winger with the whining about diversity

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2024 8:48 PM

Gotta give credit to DL where it's due -- many posters here predicted months ago that this show would fail.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2024 7:00 AM

I like Barkley. I think if he's combined with the right person, like Shaq, he can be very entertaining.

Barkley is also intelligent. If you ever watch him being interviewed, he really stops to think about his answer and says things that are unexpected & interesting.

He also called out 1 or 2 of the guys on the ESPN panel (Shaq was 1 of the 4) for being Trump voters. He said: "some people vote based only on how much tax they'll have to pay."

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2024 7:09 AM

I have no idea what they thought King brought to the thing. They should just find somebody to replicate the feel of Larry King Live. That show worked. King's strength was that he was never showing off, he never needed to demonstrate what a great, hard hitting reporter he was. I wasn't a fan of him particularly but I liked how that show worked. The vibe was good.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2024 1:54 PM

I tried it once and knew that “ hot-mess” wouldn’t last-CNN is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 2:14 PM

The producers saw how efficient she was calming down R. Kelly- and a show was born.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 2:33 PM

CNN is the problem. They were only ever going to produce cookie cutter boring programming. I knew they'd waste Charles and put a muzzle on him. He's one of the best broadcasters on TV. Inside the NBA is basically the only sports talk show with a massive fanbase and following - and it's completely because of Charles Barkley, the show will die when he retires. He's actually pretty smart despite his backwoods accent and plain way of speaking. Very funny off the cuff. What a shame. The production and planning is the problem at CNN, they could go get anybody and it's not going to work.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 2:35 PM

Wouldn't Gayle King be past her prime?

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 3:22 PM

I can’t believe it lasted six months.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2024 3:37 PM

R32, what I liked about Larry King's show was that he frequently had a lot of old time Hollywood stars on talking about the old times. There hasn't been a show like that on CNN since Larry King left.

by Anonymousreply 38April 17, 2024 6:22 AM

Gayle King is never going to “happen”, no matter how much money Oprah spends trying to do so. Gayle needs to return to Master Oprah’s plantation and go back to picking cotton with the other lesbian slaves that the Master entertains herself with in between taking Ozempic shots.

by Anonymousreply 39April 17, 2024 6:45 AM

Oh I just worked out what the title meant.

They should have had the pair go on dates. Gayle's dates on Oprah were hilarious in how clueless she was about men.

by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2024 7:25 AM

The show seemed like a waste of the talents of the two broadcasters. Instead of just having Gayle do a news-focused show or Charles in a sports show format which is where their strengths are they forced them together. They had little chemistry, and often one would be out of their depth when the other went onto their preferred topic e.g Charles would have to explain sports stories to Gayle. They also didn't seem to be that committed to the show, it was like they had one hour of quick prep time beforehand rather than really researching the topics and stories on the show.

by Anonymousreply 41April 17, 2024 8:01 AM

Will the six months of shows be released as a DVD boxed set?

by Anonymousreply 42April 17, 2024 8:10 AM

[quote][R32], what I liked about Larry King's show was that he frequently had a lot of old time Hollywood stars on talking about the old times. There hasn't been a show like that on CNN since Larry King left.

That radical 'woke' liberals who usurped control of the U.S. entertainment industry in recent years are not nostalgic for the past.

In fact, they are iconoclasts who despise traditional Americana.

And they think that the U.S., from its founding in the 18th century right up to the 2020s, was very racist, sexist, exclusive and needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt anew with women and POC as the new overlords.

White men can go extinct, for all they care.

by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2024 8:53 AM

Right, but Larry wasn't white, he was a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2024 2:31 PM

It was obviously planned from the start and was never given a chance.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2024 2:45 PM

I would say that Gayle has happened. The CBS morning show has been completely made the way she wants, from co-anchors to story topics.

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2024 3:05 PM

A Larry King type show would be fun.Hearing celebrities endorse positive political leaders could help us and CNN. I very seldom watch it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2024 2:59 PM

King Charles?! Who thought that was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2024 3:06 PM

Did people think it was a show about the British Royal Family?

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2024 7:05 AM

Why not call it King Barkley?

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2024 7:08 AM

Barkley and someone else would be interesting

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2024 8:35 AM

It should have been King Gayle

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2024 10:47 AM

'Gayle' is actually Chi Chi Larue in blackface drag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2024 11:41 AM

Who the fuck would choose to listen to what Gayle has to say? She couldn't manage to get her food-obsessed *best friend* of decades to see a shrink/therapist or attend Overeaters Anonymous. Lucky for Oprah that Ozempic came along, because she was getting bigger and bigger, even with the WW deal.

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2024 1:15 PM

Wow Chi Chi is half the man he used to be.

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2024 6:32 PM

Show was racist

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2024 6:54 PM

That's Chi Chi LaRue? I thought she was as big as a houseboat?!!!

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2024 11:49 PM

[quote] I would say that Gayle has happened. The CBS morning show has been completely made the way she wants, from co-anchors to story topics.

Forty years of eating that fat pussy paid off.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2024 12:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!