Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NBC, CNN and Fox News Join 9 Other Outlets Urging Trump and Biden to Commit to Election Debates

"There is simply no substitute for the candidates debating with each other, and before the American people, their visions for the future of our nation," the statement reads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 26, 2024 9:31 PM

No. Everyone knows already where the candidates stand on the issues. It's a 2020 rematch anyway, so if you're curious, just watch that one debate they had.

I'm not surprised that these outlets would be highly interested in broadcasting that circus again, just think of all the ad revenue and the punditry they could sell. But you'll have to wait until 2028 for those dollars, vultures.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 12:29 PM

Oh yes let me again have a copy of the questions before the debate

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 1:32 PM

Rating$$$

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 1:34 PM

President Biden wouldn't have a chance to get a word in and Trump would lie, lie, lie as usual. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 1:37 PM

I think Biden should agree to it, as long as they turn the microphones off when it isn't their turn, and Dumph is chained to his podium.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 1:40 PM

After Trump's Covffesburg Address on Saturday, how could his cult not want to hear more about the boyos and his usual whinefest? This would be a ratings bonanza, so of course they want the debates to happen but not so we can hear any policy talk.

MAGA platform: Trump, hate, give Trump money, whining, Trump, hate, tax breaks for billionaires, we will take away all of your freedoms unless you are a white Christian male, please give Trump your money he's like Jesus but broke and greedy.

Biden/Harris platform: Democracy and a bunch of boring stuff that might make people think OMG

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 1:55 PM

Trump will never show up because he is so mentally ill. He was incoherent against Hillary 8 years ago. It won’t be a staged, scripted sound-bite-athon that lasts 20 minutes in front of frothing Magats.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 2:02 PM

The media are parasites. Anything for money. Nothing will be learned from a debate and Trump would pull his usual crazy shit to get his base riled up.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 2:05 PM

Agree, r6. Dump won’t debate. If anyone saw his speech, you know. He’s mentally unfit and getting worse each day. Slurring words, making words up, he will be a national joke. Well, more of a national joke.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 2:08 PM

Honest question: will he make it until November?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote] Trump will never show up because he is so mentally ill.

Déjà vu. Datalounge thinking hasn't moved an inch since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 2:10 PM

Yes, give Trump a platform to lie and talk over Biden and the moderators. MAGAs would love it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 2:23 PM

I tried to give ol' Joe the Gyna Virus at the last debate because if I had to have it he should have it, too. Is there anything I could cough or yell his way that would take him out? Doctors say I have something called syph something or other but that one I caught involved some ladies, the most beautiful ladies I have to say. Unlike ol' Joe I don't have dementia because I keep getting tests, I get the best and hardest tests!, every weeks it seems like. And I pass them even though they are so hard. I'll bet Joe couldn't pass those tests! They let me take them with Sharpie because I never make mistakes I'm so smart. Do you think I could give ol' Joe the measels, if we debate? Someone get back to me about that.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 2:34 PM

Won't this be a little bit like watching the Special Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 2:46 PM

Just look how he chickened out against DeSantis & Haley.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 2:52 PM

[quote] No. Everyone knows already where the candidates stand on the issues. It's a 2020 rematch anyway, so if you're curious, just watch that one debate they had.

No. Biden needs to be questioned about his actions during his 4 years in office. It’s not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote] Dump won’t debate.

He absolutely will. You said this all through 2016 and 2020, and he was there every time. He loves a microphone and the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 3:04 PM

Assuming Trump is convicted in New York, Biden should decline and say “I don’t debate convicted felons.”

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 3:08 PM

He won't debate. Give him two hours to spit unscripted incoherent gibberish? They'd be mad.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2024 3:09 PM

They are no longer debates but duelling press conferences.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2024 3:11 PM

[quote] They are no longer debates but duelling press conferences.

Not even that. Love fests for the media's favorite and inquisition for the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2024 3:16 PM

He just fell asleep in court...Donald, NOT Joe, that is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2024 5:32 PM

They want ratings and this is the one time I hope they don't get what they want. What would be accomplished by a debate? No minds will be changed. I blame all of them, even MSNBC, for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2024 5:36 PM

Pros and cons for both....my take is it won't happen

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2024 5:47 PM

Fell asleep, R22?

The MACHO MACHO, alpha male Donald J?

Hahahaha

Hahaha

Hahahaha. Hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2024 5:47 PM

He fell asleep in court and during his midmorning rant he turned away from the cameras and displayed a what I can only describe as a Hair Anus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2024 5:54 PM

Even though FUAX News is ignoring the trial and Fat Donny's daytime nappy, it will be alllll over the airwaves, X, and in every political ad in the Fall.

And it's only day 1 of the trial.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2024 6:06 PM

My advice to the media, seek out the descendants of the fly that landed on Mike Pence's head for two minutes at the last VP debate. Preferably during one of Trump's long-winded tirades. That would be ratings gold!

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2024 6:07 PM

If you really think Biden is so mighty you all should be eager for him to debate Trump and make mincemeat of him and his lying ass.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2024 6:21 PM

[quote] If you really think Biden is so mighty you all should be eager for him to debate Trump

I think he has a country to manage and shouldn't waste time with disingenuous psychopaths

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2024 6:25 PM

Biden should agree to a debate but only upon certain conditions. We can start with R5's suggestion that they turn off Trump's microphone when it's Biden's turn to speak (we don't have to worry about Joe interrupting Donnie; why stop your opponent from self-immolation?), and that Trump be confined to the space behind his podium whether done by moderators stopping the debate whenever he wanders (won't happen) or by physically bound to the podium (handcuffed to the podium as he's allowed out of prison after his hush money conviction would be the preferred method).

There would have to be strict rules on the length of responses with each participant allowed an equal "bank" of speaking time and should any one go over that limit on any question, that time would be deducted from their bank meaning that we may very well reach the last question or two and only one candidate would have remaining time to speak (and I don't think it takes an advanced degree in mathematics to see that it will be Trump with no time left because he just can't shut up for two consecutive seconds).

There should be a balanced panel of judges (so, no "journalists" from NewsMax, OAN or any radical right outlet need apply) tasked with deciding the veracity of each candidate's response to be displayed in real time. I'd propose Anderson Cooper from CNN, Rachel Maddow from MSNBC, and either Neil Cavuto or Chris Wallace from FOX.

As to moderators, I don't know who to suggest. Maybe someone from the League of Women Voters? Judge Judy? RuPaul?

And finally, either no studio audience or an audience sequestered from the stage such that no noise is heard or seen by either candidate (or for that matter, the television audience).

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2024 6:25 PM

Ok, R29. Should we schedule it after Trump's afternoon nap, his early evening bump of Adderall, or right before he starts sundowning?

Joe has a busy schedule being a real president but I'm sure he can spare an hour or two for Sir ShitsHimself.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2024 6:34 PM

Don't wake him up, me boyos! Don't wake him up, boyo at R29! His diaper is full and whoever wakes him up has dibs on changing him!

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2024 6:36 PM

Joe better not! Trump is vile in debates but he always comes across as the winner because he's such a fucking bully.

Biden doesn't need to say a word. The polls are trending the right way and, I hope, will continue to do so without giving Trump any more fucking stage time.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2024 6:47 PM

"A DAY IN THE LIFE

President Biden: Announces $40 billion from Samsung to build chips factories in Texes, creating over 20,000 jobs. Holds separate bilateral meetings with Prime Ministers of Iraq and Czech Republic.

Trump: Falls alseep in court while on trial for 34 felonies."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2024 6:49 PM

I wish we were it a situation where debates would be useful...but we are not.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2024 6:53 PM

I couldn't stand it.

The look on DJT's ugly mug with his butt crack neck when someone else has the floor is so full of jealousy and malice - it has to be some kind of mania.

"Everyone should be looking at ME! HEY LOOK AT ME!"

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2024 7:11 PM

That's NECK VAGINA!

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2024 7:28 PM

[quote]That's NECK VAGINA!

Neck Pussy is the preferred usage among DLers.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2024 7:45 PM

Fuck the networks. They have done everything they could to hype the horserace and fuck us, and now they're crying because they might be denied their big pay off night. Their "relevance" is at stake. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2024 8:52 PM

R31, Chris Wallace left FOX several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 7:11 AM

Good. And if the democrats doubt that Biden (mainly because of his age) can verbally prevail against a vulgar imbecile like Trump who can barely string a sentence together: I know I'm repeating myself here but... You have this great nation with so many wonderful, gifted, responsible, intelligent people. Why not choose any of them as a candidate?

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 10:03 AM

R42, because Biden is the candidate. People who suggest that Biden be replaced are either trolls or who don’t understand American politics. It’s over, find a new hobby.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 1:01 PM

[quote]You have this great nation with so many wonderful, gifted, responsible, intelligent people. Why not choose any of them as a candidate?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 1:03 PM

Exactly. Trolls. In 2020, I was not on Team Biden. I was with one of those "gifted, intelligent people." And we could not get a consensus. The one thing we knew is that we had to defeat Trump and his band of Republican extremists. For the past 4 years those Republican extremists have been looking inward, purging their party of more moderate (though still extreme ) voices and allowing the Trump goons to take over. They are a small, but very vocal minority, amplified by a greedy complicit news media.

They have overreached. They always do. They're brazen enough to offer for public viewing, their plans called the 2025 Project. But the Media doesn't cover their plans. Or how their actions affect real people. With their "both sides" bullshit, they have attempted to normalize extremism and cruelty. We understand the danger...most of us. We got behind the consensus candidate in 2020. Some of us were not "enthusiastic" but we did it. And he won. And he has out performed all of my expectations.

So this year, we have a rematch. Two old men. As Hillary said, "Get over it! We have two old men. One is intelligent, compassionate, and wants to help people. The other one has been indicted 4 times and has 91 charges against him. " The real fear is that the GOP is terrified about the possibility of Kamala Harris, who is to the left of Biden, getting into the Oval Office. The GOP rationalized after the 2020 loss. They told their followers that they could regain Congress to block Biden, then retake all of it in 2024. That is their plan. But there was no Red Tsunami in 2022. They only manage to control the House by the slenderest of margins. And even with that slender margin, they have managed to do some damage, in spite of the fact they are mostly fighting among themselves.

So we know what our mission is. We get on the fucking bus. The Bus isn't going to drop you off at your front door. But it will go in the direction we need to go, and get you close enough. And if Kamala does become POTUS, I will be fine. Because Kamala believes in Medicare for all, she is in favor of free community college, and she is pro environment. She has a real record of supporting Gay Rights. And most importantly, she has been attending the most intensive training any potential Presidential candidate can get. She has been Biden's VP. Sat in all his meetings listened argued, contributed and learned. There is no better teacher than Joe Biden and if Kamala becomes our President, I will support her completely, with no reservations.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 1:25 PM

[quote]he has out performed all of my expectations

Biden has been the best and most active president since FDR. Everybody bitches that he's old and nobody's realized that in Washington DC, experience and relationships matter. The MAGAts don't want anybody to know this because they have none, and the relationships they do have are based on fear and loathing. The MAGAts are the culmination of Republicans working to make government fail for the last 50 years, and if you can set aside the very real fear that they may be in charge after November, you'll see that their only goal is to end the American experiment in democracy and wreck everything that actually made America great. I don't know how the MAGAts look themselves in the mirror and not see ugly hate, stupidity and festering resentment.

Which circles us back to Kamala. She was a bold bet for VP, and either we'll look back at Biden and admire him for his vision or, God forbid, blame him for the demise of democracy. I love Biden's outlook of optimism and hope and I really want America to emerge from this fiasco as the real shining city on the hill (as the progenitor of our problems Reagan put it), but I fear that the right's obsession with racism and white supremacy will overtake the Democrats' vision of a more perfect union. When we elected Obama, it was the first wakeup call the racists have received since Brown v. Board of Education. And it resulted in a backlash that none of us could have predicted: the most incompetent, utterly unqualified, and worst president the country has ever faced (making previous bad actors like Nixon, Hoover, Andrew Johnson and Garfield look like choir boys). But the message from the right is clear: their worst is still better than our best, and they'll destroy the nation, and for that matter the world, to prove it.

I hope I live long enough to see Biden's face on Mt. Rushmore. This old man has dragged us kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Let's hope the Republicans don't drag us back to the 19th, which they are well on their way to achieving.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 4:24 PM

R46 - your delusional adoration of Biden is reality-avoidant and so sad, but if it brings you the comfort you need, then I understand. Most of the political establishment are far too old and woefully out of touch (and this goes double for the "Supreme Court") to be making decisions for the rest of the country. Yet, the president is basically just a figurehead, so I guess a doddering grandpa who inspires a sense of safety for some is better than the other option facing the US, which is a sundowning fool.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 5:40 PM

and for the entertainment value....

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 5:56 PM

R47, thanks for the laugh. So far, Biden is doing great. I’ll take that doddering grandpa any day.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 6:45 PM

Biden has been the best President of my lifetime. It pays to have a combination of being good at retail politics and legislative experience to make an effective President. The media's Trump obsession and the Democratic Party's historic lack of being able to message properly have not helped Biden at all.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 6:57 PM

What's the reality I'm avoiding, R47? Go on, tell me. Be specific. Give some examples (particularly, how anyone else would have achieved even a fraction of what Mighty Joe has). And be ready to support your "figurehead" thesis.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 7:09 PM

Your only post, r47?

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 7:21 PM

Trump Neck Pussy.

Available from MyPillow......use the code GRABIT to save 50%.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 7:36 PM

It's just going to be Trump amped-up on cocaine lying and insulting Biden while Joe stutters and stammers. I don't think anyone wants to see this. These two men have a long history in the public eye, so we know them. Everyone knows who they're voting for already.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 9:11 PM

Going point from former tRump assistant about him not having "presidential" engagements prior to noon

[quote] They even let him host SNL & Jimmy Fallon got to tousle his hair, presenting him as some kind of affable billionaire instead of the drug-addicted, racist sexual predator anyone who spent more than 5 mins with him knew. We even shot first ‘CA’ finale in Studio 8H.

[quote] As you watch MSM’s breathless coverage of his trial you should bear in mind what a circle jerk corporate media really is and how the bottom line is ALWAYS about money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 9:14 PM

^ "going" should be "great"

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 9:15 PM

We should all be so sleepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 11:56 PM

Fuck debates, Trump is a coward and has nothing insightful to say.

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2024 12:08 AM

Right on, R57.

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2024 12:18 AM

We do not need debates. The candidates could do town halls. How about giving Biden all the perks Caitlin Collins gave Trump? He gets to pick his moderator, his audience, and gets advance notice of questions? The fact is the Networks would have to cater to Trump, and give him everything he wants in order to get him. But if they do that for Trump they will have to do it for Biden. So Biden wins no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2024 12:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2024 4:41 PM

r60, same questions.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2024 4:43 PM

Biden really had no choice. His poll numbers are in the toilet. It’ll be a Hail Mary pass.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2024 5:04 PM

Biden really had no choice. No, he could pull a Trump. After the way Biden killed him last debate, Biden is fearless.

His poll numbers are in the toilet. Biden has been through 13 Presidential cycles and has won THREE of them. I trust Biden's timing.

It’ll be a Hail Mary pass. The only Hail Mary Passes made in the past 10 years have been by Trump.

There has never been a President who has ALL the dirt on a prior President who was stupid enough to run after being defeated by his opponent. Until Trump.

Biden has learned that ONE October Surprise isn't enough, but TWO are perfect. I wonder what they will be.

Plus, I wonder what Biden will do after he wins, on January Six, 2025?

by Anonymousreply 64April 26, 2024 7:02 PM

No debates. The networks have not earned the right nor have they demonstrated any integrity to be demanding these debates. They want a spectacle and they want ratings. People are tired of their shit. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 65April 26, 2024 9:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!