Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vienna?

I want to take an intensive german course for a month. I'm thinking of Vienna. People have said I would love it there. Not destroyed during WW ll. A lot to see and I could visit Salzburg. Never been to Austria. Kind of old to be starting such a byzantine complex language and I'll never be able to speak it(they all speak english anyway) but I could be able to read it in popular magazines and I love the German culture. I've started with a native speaking tutor to learn fundamentals on zoom.

Is this a good place to go? German cities look too dreary post war with a lot of ugly modern buildings. But when I see pre war photos they seem to have been amazing and very beautiful. What a bunch a very fucking stupid people to have it destroyed by war all that beauty that their ancestors built let alone the lives lost.

And I love their culture why? Because it was created by their genius ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2024 6:38 PM

Austria is fabulous

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 10:46 AM

It means nothing to me.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 10:48 AM

Good for you. And no, you're not too old to learn a new language. Once you master the articles and the declension, German makes perfect sense, unlike English. Vienna is fine, but might be too hectic and international. I'd go for Salzburg, personally. Love me some peace and quiet.

[quote]Because it was created by their genius ancestors.

Gurl... they were the most savage of barbarians. You ought to brush up on the history of this region. Also, Vienna only looks this nice because the Habsburgs gobbled up so much of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 10:54 AM

OP thinks Germany is Frankfurt and Berlin

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 11:16 AM

OP congratulations on a plan. Please stop being negative about your capacity to learn and speak German. Learn 500 words as soon as possible - you can then communicate even if you won't have much grammar.

Vienna is great for any age person. Also if this interests you, Vienna is relatively flat so you could bike to school AND touring around.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 11:18 AM

Try the schnitzel with strudel!

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 11:25 AM

Watch The Third Man, OP, you'll find that quite a bit of Vienna was destroyed. Moreover, German cities were destroyed by Allied bombing, which wasn't always necessary .

Personally, I love Vienna. It's also close for day trips to Slovakia and Hungary.

R3 is a bit ignorant. So much of Central and Eastern Europe is so beautiful and culturally refined because they ended up as part of the Austrian Empire through marriage alliances and political deals.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 11:26 AM

Vienna has world-class museums.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 11:27 AM

Vienna is really beautiful, and very visitor friendly. It has great rail links to surrounding countries so you will be able to explore comparatively easily.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 11:29 AM

Austria is beautiful. Salzburg Innsbruck Vienna tons of little towns. The people are generally friendly, go and enjoy every moment.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 11:31 AM

I'd study in Switzerland, not Germany or Austria.

Also, in public in both places if you try to speak German, they'll probably reply in English. Most everyone in large cities are more fluent in English than you'll ever be in German.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 11:33 AM

They'll be too impatient to deal with your basic, halting German. You'll get more use from it if you visit small, rural towns. Vienna is beautiful, Salzburg more so,

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 11:44 AM

Vienna is also so beautiful because of its "left-wing" social housing policy, which means great, affordable housing for all, with renting also being very common and acceptable, ameliorating any drive for increasingly expensive home ownership, with the result that there no ugly, rundown districts and everyone has decent housing, regardless of income.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 11:48 AM

OP, you probably know this, but immersion in crucial and is so easy to do now. Listen to German music, audio books, podcasts, movies, etc. not even trying to understand or learn it. I think in some ways German is easier for an Englush speaker to learn because the are so related and sound very similar, French, not so much, which sounds like an incomphrensible bouillibaisse of nasally vowels.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 11:55 AM

R14: You're making a common error. German, like English has complicated grammar and lots of exceptions to the various rules. Not to mention the sentences that go on for a page or longer.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 12:03 PM

They have these little baby sausages there.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 12:04 PM

Vienna is gorgeous, mysterious and beautiful. Watch “The Third Man”, especially the ending, to get into the mood.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 12:08 PM

Good luck trying to learn German in that city because they have a super thick accent there (it's similar to the Bavarian one). Though these days the city is filled with people who aren't originally from Vienna and their German is actually easier to understand.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 12:14 PM

You misunderstood what I said, R15. I'm speaking from experience. I know German is a very difficult language, quite different in structure and other ways, but it sounds much closer to English than French.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2024 12:14 PM

If one wishes to learn German, one should focus on learning German. Austria does not speak what can be called standard German. Austrian German is quirky and does not convey the spirit of "German" German.

Much better to stop making it an excuse for being a tourist.

Munich believes it is the center of the language. It's also centrally located and would be a good place for a weekend or two in Austria.

Personally, I'd head to Berlin. Where you could replace Sally Bowles' exuberant use, in her own German lessons, of the word [bold]Bumsen[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2024 12:21 PM

Language schools are going to teach standard German. The language on the streets will be recognisable.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2024 12:24 PM

If you’re serious about learning German, go to a Goethe Institut in Germany. Pick one in a smaller city that won’t be filled with English-speaking tourists. Stay for a few months if you’re really serious and you can afford the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2024 12:26 PM

Screw Munich for German. The most attractive German for the ear is the high German spoken in Northern Germany.

But a German school in Munich or Vienna is just as good for starting German as one in Hamburg.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2024 12:27 PM

OP, if you go to Vienna, you will always have the temptation of speaking English, as there are always thousands of other English-speaking tourists around, and people are used to communicating with them in English.

I’d opt for a smaller city, such as Freiburg, Luneburg, Schwerin or Weimar. These places are all historic, with beautiful Old Towns.

If you are really committed to learning German, I’d start in North Germany, where people speak standard German (Hochdeutsch) as a matter of course. Most German-speakers speak Hochdeutsch when they have to, but communicate with one another in their regional dialects, which are impenetrable even to fluent German speakers. Austrian and Swiss accents can be especially difficult, as can the Leipzig (Saxon) accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2024 12:40 PM

Same ethnic mix as Czech but unlike Prague boys the Viennese are too high and mighty to whore themselves.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2024 12:58 PM

R22, if OP is serious about learning German he can go to the Goethe Institut in his own city or, if there isn't one, do the Goethe Institut online course. I think they even have blended courses, half online/half in person, so travelling for the occasional in-person class while doing the rest online is also an option.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2024 1:14 PM

Plenty of whores in Vienna, R25. Check Romeo.com.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2024 1:19 PM

Went to high school in Germany and speak pretty good German and I can hardly understand the Austrians. I agree with others that the Northern German accent is the clearest and easiest to understand. Try Hanover or Bremen.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2024 1:48 PM

OP might have an opportunity to hook up with Falco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2024 1:57 PM

Sachertorte and Christmas markets

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2024 2:07 PM

Falco's corpse? He died a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2024 2:21 PM

A small point of vocabulary: it's not "German culture" in Vienna but "Austrian culture". Describe Austrian anything as German and the locals won't hesitate to set you straight. In that way, Austrians are like Germanic (this word is safe) Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2024 2:30 PM

There's fabulous art to be seen in Vienna, but I did find the city itself very pretty. Much more of the pre-War city survives than of the big German cities like Berlin and Hamburg, but it's an ugly place, with this dark grey Hapsburg architecture. I found the people arrogant--I spoke to them in German, and yet I remember a few times having my pronunciation harshly corrected.

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2024 2:55 PM

Sorry, that should read "I did NOT find the city itself very pretty."

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2024 3:23 PM

You will not refer to Austrians as German if you know what’s good for you. Anyway, Vienna is very easy to navigate. Overall quite lovely with amazing art. We found the people to be pleasant but not overly friendly.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2024 3:52 PM

If you're a fat whore, Vienna is the world capital of cake.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2024 4:00 PM

When were you in Vienna last time, R33? The "dark gray" Habsburg architecture was cleaned up in the 1990s and has not darkened since, since nobody heats with coal anymore. Vienna looks cream-colored and light now.

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2024 4:01 PM

Wieners galore!

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2024 5:45 PM

Lipizzaner horses at the Spanish Riding School. They have displays every day. It might seem the height of cheesy tourism, but they are so beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2024 7:15 PM

Do the men have big sausages? I didn't partake when I visited, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2024 1:08 AM

Of course, R40. Both the Austrians, and the Balkans and plenty of Turks.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2024 1:36 AM

I used to like their sausages until I found out about pink slime.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2024 2:07 AM

I am committed to learning as much German as is possible(which as I said will most likely not even bring me to competency but if I can read it well enough while of course having a dictionary handy it will make me happy. And yes I know even in the past they were savages but like Russia their art was stupendous. But I would also like to play a bit of the tourist on weekends as I've never been to these countries.

After reading these these responses maybe I should think of Northern Germany but I do not want a modern city. I have all of them here in the US. I want to immerse myself in another time as well as another culture. And yes the needless bombing of Dresden is a tragedy. But what is more of a tragedy the glorious architecture lost or the loss of so many civilians? I also read Heidelberg was going to be needlessly destroyed but a general(perhaps American ) had studied there and prevented it from happening. Like the German officials at the end of WW 2 when Hitler wanted Paris decimated prevented it from happening.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2024 11:20 AM

Many cities chose reconstruction rather than renewal. For example, Munich chose to reconstruct while Frankfurt chose to renew.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2024 11:37 AM

Make no mistake, OP. Vienna is a "modern city." You won't be able to "immerse yourself in another time" there.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2024 12:00 PM

Austrian men are hot, but it's like hooking up with a robot. They are very emotionally cool.

German men aren't exactly hot with passion either, but it's the difference between a 25 watt bulb and total darkness.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2024 12:10 PM

R3, Vienna is only hectic to other Austrians. To everyone else it’s a calm decent sized city. The last time Vienna was hectic, the Communist Russians were ran out of town. Saving the nation from the occupation Germany endured under the communist regimes. Since then, Austria and Vienna kept a low profile.

Hectic, give me a break, lol!

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2024 12:12 PM

Op, be warned that Austrians German is like the low class version of German. It’s be like learning English pronunciations from Colonel Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2024 12:13 PM

There are so many variations of German it's mindblowing.

High German, Low German, Swiss German, Schwabish, Bavarian.....to name just a few.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2024 12:34 PM

r49 just like English. See how many ways they changed up the language in the UK and Americas.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2024 1:31 PM

Vienna's art museums are great. The rest of it is a reminder of an imperial period that bores me.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 4:25 PM

The impereal reminders are enchanting. Only issue is that the Hapsburg's main palace in Vienna is made up of. various add ons with vero cohesion. They were slowly getting it together by the the late 19th century just before the monarchy was sadly toppled.

But what makes up the royal palace is equally majestic.

r51 this is also why I adore Paris. Seems so regal and impossing. Make you feel small and broke looking at the Parisian and Viennese formal government building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 5:04 PM

zero*

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 5:05 PM

[quote] the monarchy was sadly toppled

!!

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 5:08 PM

Great report on the social housing in Vienna, which is largely the former Habsburg estates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 5:13 PM

I didn’t care for Vienna. I prefer more modern cities.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 5:18 PM

Vienna waits for you.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2024 5:27 PM

There are far more varieties of English, r49.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2024 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!