Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ABBA's "SOS"

Is it the perfect pop song? It is regarded by many as one of the greatest musical compositions recorded. There is certainly something special about it that sets it apart from the group's other songs for me—it's easily my favorite song by them. That chorus is just explosive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 10:55 AM

It is regarded by many as one of the greatest musical compositions recorded.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2024 3:35 AM

I'm glad you linked the REMASTERED version. It feels so different than the original.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2024 3:37 AM

I always wanted to sample Benny's Swedish meatballs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2024 3:50 AM

There are so many better ABBA songs than SOS.

Knowing Me, Knowing You for starters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2024 4:04 AM

Waterloo is my favorite. SOS is fun and definitely up there though.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 7:25 AM

My favorite is Fernando. Piece of trivia from Wikipedia:

It is one of fewer than forty all-time singles to have sold 10 million (or more) physical copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling singles of all time.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 7:33 AM

The remastered sounds exactly the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 7:38 AM

I agree that SOS is one of their very best from a production standpoint - a wall of sound to rival Phil Spector.

Their last single is my personal favorite, "The Day Before You Came", because it's so simple and broken down, and open to numerous interpretations: was she murdered? lived happily ever after? something else? Plus Agnetha has given up trying to enunciate English correctly and the off diction makes it even odder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 8:04 AM

It is an excellent song indeed, OP. I love the live version that the group sang during their Eskilstuna concert back in 1974. Interestingly, Frida sang the second verse in the same key as Agnetha, and when they're both belting the bridge, you can see why their voices complimented each other so very well - their sound at the top was surprisingly similar, with Agnetha's diamond-like brightness being complimented by Frida's silvery, girlie tone.

Personally, I think that Chiquitita is one of the band's most elaborate and beautiful songs. The harmonies are insanely elaborate and the interesting thing is that each singer takes the main vocal line at different parts: Agnetha does the verses while Frida does the lower harmony, and then Frida goes up a full key to do the chorus, while Agnetha does the stratospherically high upper harmony.

The love that many people have for ABBA is entirely justified, as they were a BRILLIANT band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 8:53 AM

It is indeed superb, but for me the title track from The Visitors is their finest song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 10:11 AM

The Visitors is in my opinion by far their best album. It includes absolute masterpieces, such as the title track as mentioned by R10, Slipping through my fingers hauntingly sung by Agnetha with superb harmonies by Frida. I hear the music speak, which showcases Frida’s chops in musical theatre. Or Like an angel passing through my room, which Madonna covered for the Ray of Light album, but eventually didn’t include it as she realised she just couldn’t compare to Frida. The latest releases of The Visitors include a few bonus tracks, including The day before you came, which I agree is probably ABBA’s best song.

One thing I would say though is that as much as I love ABBA, I think calling it an end in 1982 was wise. New Wave was around the corner, Depeche Mode were going to release their first album, Visage had score a massive hit with Fade to Grey, etc. ABBA’s music could not have competed with the taste of the time.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 10:32 AM

"Bring Me Edelweiss" sampled "SOS" heavily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 10:42 AM

Of course of the biggest bands of 1981, who openly admitted their admiration for ABBA when it was far from cool to do so, was The Human League.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 10:47 AM

The Sound: Drama Queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 11:26 AM

Best or not, my favorite pick-me-up song is Move On. It's not often recognized, not sure it ever became a single anywhere. But from the very beginning with the piano it gets me a low-key positive energy of 'everything will be fine'.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 12:07 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 1:02 PM

[quote] Plus Agnetha has given up trying to enunciate English correctly

That made me laugh so much. Yeah Agnetha’s English always sounded, erm, “exotic”. Although this song was the product of their very last recording sessions, and by then they all hated each other as well as ABBA. It’s a miracle they still came up with such a sublime song.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2024 5:44 AM

Angel Eyes is another one that's well-produced. It's not as easy to cover as it seems, as John Grant showed us.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2024 6:27 AM

Hasta Manata was their best tune with Eagle a close 2nd.

I could never enjoy Fernando or Chiq. Ugh.

Their Marionette song annoyed me for a time, but it grew on me & now I enjoy it whenever I come across it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2024 7:55 AM

This is my absolute favourite ABBA song.

Love it.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2024 10:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!