Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Legend of Robert Johnson has always scared me

He was an American blues musician and songwriter originally born on a plantation in 1911, Mississippi. He was a Mediocre guitar player, and by mediocre, he wasn’t very good at all. People of the time even said he wasn’t very good but he tried but never could perfect it (it takes years of work to get great usually). One day he took his guitar and went to the crossroad somewhere outside of Clarksdale. While spending the night at the crossroads, a man came out of nowhere and approached him. Robert claims to have sold his soul to the devil that night, and after doing so handed his guitar to the man who tuned his guitar and sent him away. Robert went back home and the next day he suddenly was an expert player, with people claiming how one day he could barely play then the next he was suddenly a pro.

He became one of the most successful and known musicians of the time, and recorded a few songs, even referencing himself selling his soul at the crossroads in at least one song. Even pros said it would have taken YEARS to accomplish all he did in one night suddenly. Within a few months he would suddenly die at the age of 27 (the 27 club). No autopsy was ever held and his birth certificate never stated a cause of death.

It’s all bizarre and his legend is truly creepy to me. Always has been. There are still people who visit the crossroad he allegedly went to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 5:32 PM

OP, it’s a legend. It did not happen.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2024 11:39 PM

where do I sign up?

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2024 11:41 PM

Hold me, David.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2024 11:41 PM

It is possible to suddenly wake up and be able to do something, rare, but possible. People have had brain injuries or stokes and be able to play the piano after never touching one.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2024 11:45 PM

It sounds like Robert Johnson understood the value of PR and branding long before Madison Avenue did. He practiced on his own hidden away (isolated rural areas are good for that) and intentionally played poorly in front of others. A virtuoso guitarist could pull it off. He devised a story that would gain him attention and it did. Rural folk back then would believe it. Hell, they would now!

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2024 11:46 PM

It's a good, creepy story, though OP.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2024 11:49 PM

He's sure got the crazy eyes in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2024 11:49 PM

R5 rural folk? Honey, it was the 1930s. The whole country would believe it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2024 11:50 PM

I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 12:26 AM

You people are gullible.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 12:57 AM

He died of syphilis

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 1:09 AM

No one is gullible. This has been said of him since the 1930s. It’s not like some modern day loser created a rumor. And r11 no one knows what he actually died of. I just read about it. That was one way he is believed to have died. Dont post it as a fact.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 1:10 AM

I am not doubting is creativity. Is there any pro guitar player or professional musician here who could weigh in on the topic how technically good his playing actually is?

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!