Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Choir Experts

Are the conductors really necessary? What do they do. If I was singing her this foolish frau would only distract and irritate me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 2:56 AM

The conductor is trans.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2024 11:08 PM

…it’s “ California Dreamin' “

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2024 11:24 PM

the preacher likes it cold he knows I'm gonna stay

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2024 11:26 PM

I love choirs doing pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2024 11:30 PM

Look how thrilled they are to be singing this, R4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2024 1:43 AM

Then there's this..................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2024 1:45 AM

R6 Good lord

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2024 1:50 AM

On the other hand..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2024 1:52 AM

Conductors are the most overrated performers in all of music, art possibly anything else. They really aren't necessary, but their egos make them believe that without them, there would be music.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2024 1:53 AM

Does a flautist play a flaut? What is a flaut?

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2024 5:18 PM

R9, not always the case. Music can be so complicated that a conductor is needed to keep everyone together. Smaller ensembles can manage with good rehearsals to work things out on the score, but if you’re talking opera or a Mahler symphony, then a conductor is most definitely needed.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2024 5:24 PM

Of course a conductor is needed. How else are you going to get 30 people to sing together with consistent vowels, phrasing, dynamics, and tempos? Who would make interpretative decisions? Who would make sure one section isn’t drowning out another? Honestly, this is one of the most uninformed questions in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2024 5:28 PM

Why settle?

Expect the best!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2024 5:34 PM

^^^The Alzheimer's Choir

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2024 5:48 PM

Gasp

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2024 8:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2024 8:56 PM

Conductors prepare the music with the choir, but, if the singers are good, are not needed, except to start and stop. I saw an orchestra concert in which the conductor said to the audience that he really was unnecessary at the performance. After he gave the downbeat, he walked off the podium, sat in a chair, and read the newspaper. At the end, he got off his chair, walked over , and gave the cutoff. The orchestra played beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2024 8:57 PM

Can't they just sing anymore? Does everything have to be a living, breathing Ticky tocky thing?

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2024 8:57 PM

R8, that clip is one of my favorites. There are many awesome choir covers of Africa.

I LOVE this thread (though not for the nonsense about the worthiness of conductors).

Please keep posting clips of amazing choirs, friends!

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2024 2:10 AM

Choir! Choir! Choir!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2024 2:43 AM

They all look exactly like you imagine they would.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2024 2:46 AM

Without 1990s pop single releases or televised music award shows, they’d all have had no employment during that decade.

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 2:48 AM

Once they add an instrument aren't they just a band?

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2024 2:49 AM

[quote] Of course a conductor is needed. How else are you going to get 30 people to sing together with consistent vowels, phrasing, dynamics, and tempos? Who would make interpretative decisions? Who would make sure one section isn’t drowning out another?

Perhaps they could be an autonomous collective.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!