Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much for a Wedding Gift

My best friend is straight and I have known him and his family for years. His only daughter is getting married and the family doesn't have much money and lots of bills. They really cannot afford a wedding, nor can the groom's family. As well as giving the newlyweds a generous monetary gift, I would like to give my friend as gift to help pay for the wedding, but am not sure how much would be appropriate. I am not rich, but would love to see their family have a lovely event. How much would be appropriate for a wedding gift and a gift for my friend?

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 1:50 AM

Personally, I would give the newlyweds, but not the parents, money.

(1) They might take it the wrong way or be humiliated; money is a tough subject;

(2) It is not your place to get involved in someone else's finances, even if they are your friends;

(3) You can have an inexpensive but nice wedding, I have been to plenty

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2024 7:41 PM

I wouldn't give your friend (parent of the bride) a gift.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2024 7:45 PM

I agree with r1., especially point 1. In this day and age, I assume the bride and groom will also incur some wedding expense, so they'll have bills, too. If you give money to the father, do you know he will use it for the wedding or maybe to pay off other pressing bills? Would you be disappointed if the wedding doesn't reflect your contribution? If you do want to go the route of helping the parents, try to find a way to do it anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2024 7:50 PM

Can you afford to gift/pay for the food, the venue, or an open bar?

This way you are giving the couple a gift while also helping the parents out.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2024 7:55 PM

Based on the very limited information you've provided:

$500 would be "generous" as a gift to the couple.

Do not give your friend money - that's an uncomfortable thing to do.

However, what you could do is also give your friend (and the couple) a bottle of champagne for the toasting at the wedding - something like Veuve Cliquot for about $60 is probably fine - no need for Dom.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2024 7:56 PM

Just tell them you know they are A Poor and still want to be friends with them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2024 7:57 PM

Are they doing the reception at a hall/restaurant? If not, I love r5's idea of covering the champagne cost. It's about $420 for six bottles of Veuve Cliquot.. That plus the monetary gift of $500 or more is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2024 8:12 PM

$5 maximum

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2024 8:14 PM

You should suggest that they could have the reception in a barn to save on cash.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2024 8:15 PM

Okay, if I don't give the parents any money, does $500 seem appropriate for a wedding gift? I am not sure I will be going to the wedding it it turns into a family affair.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2024 8:37 PM

You could pay for a nacho bar.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2024 8:39 PM

Wasn't it a baked potato bar?

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2024 8:45 PM

Offer to pay for the inevitable divorce lawyer in a few years time.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2024 8:47 PM

$500? You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2024 8:54 PM

$500 sounds like too much. Maybe $200.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2024 9:03 PM

$200 and a nice bottle of wine with some candles and bath stuff. Write a card saying I thought you two could enjoy a nice romantic evening.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2024 9:20 PM

$200 is NOT enough for the wedding of the daughter of a best friend.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2024 9:40 PM

Offer to pay for a honeymoon in Branson, MO.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote] I thought you two could enjoy a nice romantic evening.

"What did your dad's gay best friend give you?"

A romantic evening.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2024 9:42 PM

$300, then. Geez. Sounds like these people are broke and possibly in debt. Maybe they should just get married at court and have a reception when they can afford it.

It's not incumbent on the "best friend" to rectify or mitigate the situation.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 10:04 PM

A note on amount:

"Generous" and "cheap" are perceived through a variety of filters:

- OP's relative closeness to the bride

- Relationship with father (best friend)

- Father (and Bridge/couple) relative wealth

- OP's relative wealth or their perception of his wealth

For example, if your broke college best friend drives for 14 hours to get to your wedding and gives you a $50 wedding gift, you'd just glad he made it to your wedding. If rich uncle John, who just spent three weeks vacationing first class in St. Croix after throwing himself a lavish birthday party which cost more than your entire wedding and whose children OP babysat his developmentally disabled child numerous times a week for months for free because he had no one else and fAmIly, shows up via his personal private jet and gives you $50, he a cheap SOB.

$500 is likely 2-3 plates at the reception. It's not that excessive, but if OP is the poor college friend and not rich uncle John, it could be very uncomfortable.

And, do the champagne - at least for the parents of the bride and groom and the couple.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 11:02 PM

Hope it’s ok to piggyback onto OP’s question with my own question on a wedding gift. I’m old but my experience with weddings is minimal.

A medium close friend (we talk a lot, get pretty personal, have only known each other ten months but we met in intense enough circumstances to get close fast) is getting married in December.

I have to fly halfway across the country for the wedding, put myself up in a hotel, etc. I’m retired, very small pension, blah blah blah. But I want to do the right thing.

How much do I give?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2024 12:28 AM

This question is meaningless unless e know how much you make, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2024 12:33 AM

I gave my best friend’s daughter $500.00 at her wedding. Because she’s my best friend’s daughter.

If I could have afforded more I would have given more,

If you can swing $500.00 it would be a very generous thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2024 12:50 AM

1,000.00 for every year you've known this good friend, that's the general rule.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2024 1:32 AM

This question is meaningless unless we know how big your cock is OP.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2024 1:43 AM

It depends how much of good friends you are with the parents. $500 is a generous gift to the newlyweds, but appropriate if the father is your best friend and you can afford it. I'm sure they will appreciate it and put it to good use.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2024 2:28 AM

Just offer the groom a rim job and the bride a mustache ride, while your friend looks on.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2024 2:41 AM

R22, I'd say $100 to $200. You're on a fixed income. You're flying, you're staying at a hotel.

I really hate this whole wedding bullshit. People should pay for their guest's accommodations if it's some type of destination wedding.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2024 2:42 AM

OP, my question is how well have you done for yourself? I think stretching yourself to be just slightly more generous than you normally would is healthy! It grows out generosity. But there are other variables too, including preserving both the parents and the newlyweds dignity too.

If you can afford it and it won’t feel like charity to them, $500 is great, and for the parents, ask them if there is a part of the wedding you could own (like the champagne as suggested). That way you are blessing the entire family. The spirit of generosity is a contagious thing so I encourage you to really go for it. But be sure you do not ever mention it to anyone in the friend circle. Be classy and keep this all to yourself, you aren’t doing it to look good, you’re doing it to help them and to feel good about helping them in a way that is respectful of them at the same time. They just want a wedding and to feel celebrated.

Please report back what your final decision is and how things play out — you are a great friend.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2024 2:52 AM

If you can afford it 500 seems generous but not extravagantly excessive either. You don't want them to feel they must pawn the Childs liver to repay you.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2024 4:10 AM

Thanks, R29! I appreciate your response. I’m sure I can manage the $200.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2024 4:18 AM

Thanks to everyone for your valuable advice. Since I am retired and living on a fixed income, $500 may be a pinch but not too much of a stretch for my best friend's only daughter's wedding. From what I hear, the in-laws met and go to the same fundie church, but they don't seem to socialize together. I may not be reading the room right if I offer a champagne toast to everyone seeing as my friend doesn't drink much. However, I will listen to their plans and if there is anything I can offer that seems to fit in with their theme, I will offer. I am sure the wedding will be held locally on whatever budget they can afford. We live in Leesburg Fl just north of Orlando. My friend is a waiter at Sonny's BBQ, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Beer and BBQ reception in somebody's backyard. I preseme it will be a church wedding, but who knows down here in the sticks. Thanks again DL friends!

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2024 2:04 PM

Miss Manners says "The average wedding gift amount 2024 guests will spent on gifts will be about $100-$140 per person." But then, Miss Manners is a cheap old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2024 2:26 PM

R12 I stand corrected…but mmmm, nachos.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2024 7:55 PM

R33 - CORRECTS US ALL! Unclear her beliefs about the bridge or suggested bride tumbles an breaks jaw.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!