Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm a conservative Californian who moved to Arizona, but only lasted 3 months

This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Jayne Ashton, a 63-year-old retired police dispatcher who moved from Homeland, California, to Benson, Arizona, in 2017 to escape California's liberal politics and be closer to family. She only stayed in Arizona for three months before realizing she wanted to return home to California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2024 1:46 AM

[QUOTE]It was politics and crime that initially got me thinking about leaving California around 2016 and 2017. The increase in high-density housing and traffic throughout the state played a part too.

I've only gotten as far as this paragraph and she perfectly demonstrates MAGAt's perpetual lack of logic and critical thinking skills. She'd just finished telling us that she lived in a rural area on a one 1.5 acre spread. Yet she points to factors that have absolutely no impact on her and, if anything, would indirectly benefit her as a citizen of the state through increased employment and tax revenue.

And look at where her thinking got her. It sounds like the move has cost her bigly in more ways than one. Back to her self-pitying saga.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2024 5:37 PM

Conservatives can literally never stand living in a community entirely based on their politics.

They love benefiting from liberal policies and politics while they trash them.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2024 5:39 PM

Dumb bitch.

Go back to Arizona.

California doesn't want you.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2024 5:40 PM

"Jayne's" photo should be in Wikipedia next to MAGA Frau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2024 5:44 PM

Are we supposed to sympathize with that twat?

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2024 6:03 PM

[quote] I'm a vegetarian. I haven't eaten meat since 1969 and I was starving in Arizona. I would have to drive an hour to Tuscon to go to Whole Foods to get any food I was used to.

You can take the Californian out of California, but you apparently can’t take the California out of the Californian.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2024 6:34 PM

This is similar to the phenomenon in which people choose to continue to live in the major crime-infested, shithole cities in the U.S., despite the risk to life and property, just because it’s home to them. On the other hand, there are still a lot of people who easily shake the dust off their feet and move somewhere else and have no desire to return “home”.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2024 6:42 PM

She doesn't sound like a raving lunatic MAGA person. I don't really understand why this was even published in Business Insider.

It's sad all she could get was a boarded up house without electricity in Hemet. It's not like she's a homeless person without income. Tehachapi is remote.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2024 6:44 PM

She's been a vegetarian since the age of 12? Very, very unusual. I wonder if her parents turned on, tuned in, and dropped out as part of the original hippie movement and she rebeled against that upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2024 6:52 PM

I live in Arizona. Benson is a depressing shithole. What a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2024 7:03 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2024 7:06 PM

No, R3, she needs to stay in California where her vote doesn’t matter. Or she should move to another non-battleground state.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2024 7:14 PM

[wuote] She'd just finished telling us that she lived in a rural area on a one 1.5 acre spread. Yet she points to factors that have absolutely no impact on her

These are the perma-rage white rightwingers who watch Fox and believe “I live in a shithole” because the megaphone of the Republican Party tells them so.

So what do they do? Flee to an actual shithole. 🤦🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2024 7:20 PM

[quote] So what do they do? Flee to an actual shithole. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And then they realize that Faux News lied to them.

Yet they still vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2024 7:28 PM

I can't access the article. Does anybody know what her major complaints were, and why she thought everything would be hunky dory in Arizona?

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2024 7:30 PM

I think what bothered her the most was being looked down upon by Arizona conservatives as not being a real conservative or a RINO. Not that she had to drive an hour to a Tuscon so she wouldn't "starve." I mean, she used to do an 87 mile commute to work one-way (why did we even need to know that?) presumably daily. One hour once or twice a week became burdensome? And she couldn't eat a vegetarian diet from Safeway or Walmart? Bullshit.

How did Business Insider ever find her?

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2024 7:38 PM

Moron.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2024 8:10 PM

Now you can vote for trump from California prick!

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2024 8:31 PM

Is that real? It reads like an article from The Onion.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2024 9:30 PM

You have to enjoy the outdoors and hiking and stuff to appreciate that state. There's a lot of beauty to be found in the desert, but if you're blind to it, it doesn't offer much else.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 9:36 PM

[quote]I don't really understand why this was even published in Business Insider.

My initial thought was that this is the kind of article that Business Insider would publish.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 9:37 PM

R20 here. I didn't read the opinion pieces because it wants me to subscribe, but based on the comments here, it sounds like she moved out to the middle of nowhere and expected there to be a Whole Foods? Bitch didn't even move to Scottsdale or something? That's beyond ridiculous. And makes this less interesting, actually, since none of the reasons are going to mean much. City to city comparison would be more enlightening.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2024 9:45 PM

I'm sure Arizona weeps.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2024 9:47 PM

I'm starting a GoFundMe to send her back.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2024 9:47 PM

At her age she should know herself and politics better. Dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2024 9:48 PM

Her experience in California sucked, her experience in Arizona sucked. She’s the common denominator. It sounds like she spends most of her alone time fixating on abstract political shit that does not impact her. And she’s clearly talking politics with people around her, otherwise people in rural Arizona would have no basis for calling her a RINO.

Wherever you go, there you are. She needs to find a hobby. Switching off Fox News and deactivating Facebook would be a great start.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2024 9:58 PM

Arizona has very little going for it. Tucson is an absolute disaster at this point it has really declined in the last 20 years. Scottsdale is a massive retirement destination for firefighters and cops that have retired from Cali and want to live around each other. These wards of the state don’t want to be around welfare recipients. The irony is telling. It’s the land of dreams that turned into nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2024 10:05 PM

Neighbors in California taunted her, called her Michael Cera, Scott Pilgrim.

She can’t go back. She can never go back.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2024 10:09 PM

I'll hit her with my murse if she dare to return.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2024 10:23 PM

You don't have to live near a Whole Foods to live a vegetarian lifestyle. You can obtain 90% of what you need at most basic supermarkets. And you can get what you can't find at independent health food store or even order a few things online. This idiot probably is used to driving to her local Whole Foods and buying their precooked foods, and just taking them home, as her primary food source.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2024 10:37 PM

Yeah, vegetarian, not even vegan. Any fucking grocery store could handle that, as could any restaurant. I'm sure it's just a flex and a way to let us know she's better than us, she doesn't eat meat. Fuck off back to California.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote]Yeah, vegetarian, not even vegan. Any fucking grocery store could handle that, as could any restaurant. I'm sure it's just a flex and a way to let us know she's better than us, she doesn't eat meat. Fuck off back to California.

Exactly, she's Californian to the core, with an anti-crime bent.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2024 11:49 PM

Arizona is like living in hell.

There is nothing there. For more than half the year, it's 115 degrees. The winters are freezing. And there is nothing there but dirt. Arizona lacks culture. You can only look t so many sunsets.

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2024 12:03 AM

She stopped just short of saying that Arrested Development line, “I’d rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona”.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2024 12:19 AM

The brother of a family friend thought he could get away from "the Mexicans" by moving to Arizona. Not very bright. Last I heard he moved to Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2024 12:27 AM

She’s not a conservative because:

1 Conservatives don’t shop at Whole Foods

2. Conservatives aren’t vegetarian

If anything, she’s probably Democrat-Lite.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2024 12:55 AM

She's proof that vegetarians lack blood flow to the brain.

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2024 1:03 AM

“That’s a YOU problem!”

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2024 1:04 AM

Why are we shaming and mocking these people for leaving? Shouldn't we encourage them to scurry out of our states to somewhere they like better, hopefully some shithole state, and good riddance? I'd rather not live among them.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2024 1:38 AM

It's like this whole article is just a way to let us know she doesn't eat mean. I'm shocked she didn't mention she does crossfit and can't have gluten too.

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2024 1:41 AM

But she's a gluten for punishment.

by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2024 1:51 AM

Do you mean meat R40?

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2024 1:51 AM

He probably did mean she ate mean.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2024 1:54 AM

She's racist.

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2024 2:12 AM

Arizona is a shit hole

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2024 2:16 AM

"And she couldn't eat a vegetarian diet from Safeway or Walmart? Bullshit."

She is generally full of shit -but not necessarily on that point. I'm a lifelong vegetarian and I had real trouble eating when I moved to a small town in upstate New York (two-hour drive to the nearest traffic light). There was a local grocery store, but the produce department only carried the most basic items -potatoes, iceberg lettuce, carrots, onions, apples, oranges, hot-house tomatoes (very gray), cabbage... No sign of things like zucchini or other squash, leeks, cilantro, endive, asparagus, artichokes, sprouts, eggplant, or other exotic/high-end stuff. No fruits that weren't in season beyond apples and oranges. Never a pineapple -let alone a kiwi. No tortillas (flour or corn) or pita bread, let alone multigrain or pumpernickel. Canned foods also lacked variety. No garbanzo beans or refried beans. You could get some grains and dried beans, but no lentils. Even the Campbells Soup aisle didn't carry vegetarian vegetable, or cream of mushroom. I could go on... It's not that I would starve, but I was really hard-pressed to cook/eat the way I was used to. I lasted less than a year before quitting the job that took me there and moving back to California.

Small towns are very isolated, and isolating. No place to live if you are different from your neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2024 2:16 AM

Sounds like just needed to find a better supermarket option. Sometimes just going to a different supermarket allows you a better selection.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2024 2:21 AM

When the next-nearest market is two hours away, each way, it does cut down on the options, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] Small towns are very isolated, and isolating. No place to live if you are different from your neighbors.

But isn't that what she wanted?

To be away from all that crime, and those pesky Mexicans, and godless Democrats?

Well she got her wish, to be around like-minded people. The problem is, they weren't as much like her, as she thought.

She wants the benefits of living in a Democratic state, without being a Democrat.

Dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2024 2:31 AM

Oh, I fully agree, R49! That's how most people on the right are. They want all the rights and privileges that the left fought for -but they don't want to pay for them or see anyone else enjoy them. Selfish pricks.

by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2024 2:40 AM

Shit, yes, I meant meat at R40.

by Anonymousreply 51April 15, 2024 3:04 AM

She should move to Russia. I hear it's a paradise, plus Vlad locks up all the queers and homos. Jayne will LOVE IT there!

by Anonymousreply 52April 15, 2024 3:23 AM

There are a lot of vegetarians who don't get enough protein to their brains.

by Anonymousreply 53April 15, 2024 3:39 AM

"California is so vast. You can live out rural and live just as good as if you lived in Tennessee."

I suppose there are people somewhere in California who fuck their kids, eat roadkill and deal dope behind truck stops, so this checks out.

by Anonymousreply 54April 15, 2024 3:58 AM

Vegetarians are exhausting! Don't even get me started on vegans. Those cunts are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 55April 15, 2024 4:28 AM

I'm actually wondering if this "Jayne Ashton" character is actually real. There is nothing outside of this article about her that suggests she's actually a human with any evidence of movement to AZ then back to Hemet. CA (Scientology home-based) and to isolated Tehachapi where one Whole Foods abounds.

Someone needs to confront BI for their idiot glurge that only discredits itself routinely and repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 56April 15, 2024 6:52 AM

If she couldn't find enough vegetable options, she should have switched to including meat in her diet. It wouldn't hurt her to learn to make adjustments when things aren't exactly the way you want them.

by Anonymousreply 57April 15, 2024 7:21 AM

R46's story took place in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 58April 15, 2024 7:42 AM

A reminder to all. "Business Insider" is a TOTAL SHIT SITE that exists to generate income, not inform any reader of anything.

It's an agglomerator and also uses A.I.

Yes, this could be complete bullshit.

As we move into the A.I. era, people really need to increase their information literacy as well as internet literacy.

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2024 7:44 AM

I don't understand. 😕

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2024 8:47 AM

^ BTW, it's a device that causes material to gather into rounded balls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 15, 2024 8:54 AM

R46 Were there local farms, or farm stands?

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2024 1:32 PM

She probably couldn't afford to live in nicer parts of Arizona. She was a police dispatcher, she probably doesn't have the type of pension a former cop would have.

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2024 2:50 PM

No farms/stands. It was a really depressed area -former mining towns in the Adirondacks.

And no, R58, it was the 90s not the 70s. Are food choices there better now? I sure hope so! But even today many people in the inner cities have trouble getting access to fresh produce. Lack of produce and a poor diet in general is highly associated with poverty, and where I was living in New York was a region with generational poverty and unemployment.

Sorry you're so exhausted, R55. I won't take the easy shot and suggest you eat more iron-rich greens. I will say it was not my intention to turn this thread into a discussion of vegetarianism -merely to point out that it is quite possible these days to live somewhere where it's difficult to be a vegetarian. The idiot woman this thread is about is wrong about so many, many things, but not about that.

by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2024 4:30 PM

[quote] I will say it was not my intention to turn this thread into a discussion of vegetarianism -merely to point out that it is quite possible these days to live somewhere where it's difficult to be a vegetarian.

That’s why when it’s difficult, vegetarians should be less particular and include meat in their diet until such time that the situation changes and they can more easily resume their lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2024 8:56 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2024 10:14 PM

It’s not like she was a stranger to Benson if she had relatives there. She didn’t even check it out first? She sounds like a dingbat. Tehachapi looks like it’s only one step up.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2024 10:57 PM

Tehachapi is indeed a conservative bastion, but it has a pleasant, walkable downtown, the climate is comfortable and the mountains around the city are beautiful - wildflower season is almost surreal.

Not familiar with Benson.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2024 11:04 PM

Tehachapi dodged a bullet. That scumbag Pitbulls and Parolees outfit was wanting to move there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2024 11:08 PM

The subject of the story was obviously given a pseudonym. Does she not have any family or friends? Why would they not talk her out of this? Almost too bizarre to be real.

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2024 11:12 PM

The relatives in Benson is a cheap throwaway excuse. She knew what she was getting herself into; she even admitted that she had regrets on moving day. But these conservatives in California have convinced themselves that California is so bad that anywhere would be better, and like this example, quickly find out that anywhere isn't better than even the worst parts of California — regardless of whatever definition of "worst" you go by.

She lived in the middle of nowhere in California and drove 87 miles each way to work 5 days a week (in horrible traffic, naturally), but living in the middle of nowhere and driving to the market 2 hours away on a road where you probably see three times as many Saguaro cactus as automobiles once a week was awful. What, she never heard of Amazon? And fuck-all, you can eat a vegetarian diet shopping at Walmart, which was local to her, just fine.

She lived on 1.5 acres where she'd raised children, but leaving them behind and moving to the desert was more appealing... why? She was probably heartbroken when coming to the realization that she could never afford the lifestyle she had as a retired police dispatcher once that property was sold, the evidence being that she bought and sold a shack in Hemet (and made a profit! Join the rest of Californians who make a profit whenever they sell... because as much as these malcontents loudly proclaim, people actually do want to live in California). Now she lives in another hotbed of conservativism, Tehachapi, but I'll guarantee she doesn't feel the way about her new community the way she did the old.

No, the dead giveaway is the line about California not punishing crime, which is the chief bugaboo conservatives have with the state at this point. They just can't wrap their heads around the fact that incarcerating people is not the be-all and end-all they make it out to be. Of course she was a police dispatcher who thought crime was out of control, not stopping to think for a second that maybe her profession influenced her thinking. Did she ever stop to wonder if the guy who works at the dry cleaners thinks everyone wears dirty clothes? That the gardener thinks everyone hates to mow lawns? That to a veterinarian, everyone has pets? No, no she didn't because conservatives lack empathy (particularly those even tangentially related to law enforcement, and speaking of relations in LE, who wants to bet her ex-husband was a cop and probably living in Arizona?).

I pity her. She sold her home and left a church and community where she was known and loved because she is a weak-minded conservative prone to believing conservative hyperbole and lies.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 12:03 AM

R71 In other words, she learned a valuable lesson to cunt more carefully.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 12:15 AM

I don't pity her. She fucked around and found out. She got what she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 12:16 AM

Everywhere you go you take yourself. If your self sucks, so will every place you go.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 12:37 AM

I hate to judge people based on looks alone but she looks unpleasant

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 12:39 AM

She was worried about crime after two decades of crime declining literally everywhere in the US. She spent her entire career during that time--what an idiot. Now she lives a million miles from Bakersfield, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 1:03 AM

R75 She’s one of those people who frames all of her complaints as a question. “Don’t you think it’s too hot in here? This soup is too salty? Shouldn’t the immigrants leave Arizona?”

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2024 1:25 AM

She'd be perfect for Jeopardy, R77.

Always give your answer in the form of a question.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote] Of course she was a police dispatcher who thought crime was out of control, not stopping to think for a second that maybe her profession influenced her thinking. Did she ever stop to wonder if the guy who works at the dry cleaners thinks everyone wears dirty clothes? That the gardener thinks everyone hates to mow lawns? That to a veterinarian, everyone has pets? No, no she didn't because conservatives lack empathy (particularly those even tangentially related to law enforcement, and speaking of relations in LE, who wants to bet her ex-husband was a cop and probably living in Arizona?).

I know three women who work or worked as police or 911 dispatchers. They are the types who get pissy whenever other people dare to question law enforcement or the justice system.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2024 1:53 AM

R61 Ooh I want one now.

by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2024 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!