Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What the hell happened to Manhattan

It took me a full hour to cab from Midtown to Soho for dinner. came home via Park and it's all banks and Bath and Body Works (?) and salad chains. My own neighborhood is one long mall (CPW/91st). I miss gritty actual NYC

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 8:50 PM

Ok Park Ave is dead!!!! WTF

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2024 1:11 AM

Oh good now we're veered past Rosy O Grady's. What the heck?

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2024 1:15 AM

Gee, OP, I am sure glad you posted this as nobody ever talks about this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2024 1:27 AM

Welcome to my world. That's why I walk everywhere these days. Takes an hour to get from 55th and Park to 47th and 8th in a car. Never again. Thank you Eric Adams and Kathy Hokul or whatever your name is.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2024 1:29 AM

Broadway was a hot mess today. Is there some kind of festival?

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2024 1:56 AM

Perhaps people are clogging the roads while they're free of charge.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2024 2:11 AM

I'm experiencing second-hand hustle and bustle.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2024 2:18 AM

OP, you chose to live in a shithole. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2024 2:19 AM

Have you been there in the last 30 years? Have you been anywhere in the last 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2024 2:21 AM

[quote] I miss gritty actual NYC

Sure but most of DL were whining about homeless people during the height of the pandemic.

Would they have lasted an hour during the 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2024 2:29 AM

Blame the Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2024 2:30 AM

San Francisco isn't what it used to be either, bud.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2024 2:32 AM

Weirdly placed bike lanes with entrenched parking and bus lanes are making it even harder to make turns.

e-bikes are coming out of nowhere and nearly mowing pedestrians down, restaurants are in the street. Trucks and taxis and ubers, oh my!

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2024 3:46 AM

^semicolon needed^

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2024 3:48 AM

OP, you couldn't use the subway?

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2024 4:26 AM

the pedicabs lurching about are hazardous

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote] What the hell happened to Manhattan

We took it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2024 5:07 AM

If you take the subway, you'll find plenty of grit.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2024 5:18 AM

I used to take the 6 from 34th and Park to Soho.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2024 6:15 AM

Traffic has gotten terrible. I agree. It takes forever to get anywhere unless it’s early in the morning or late at night.

I had family visiting recently and we had to Uber because of an elderly relative - was maddening how long it took.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 6:38 AM

With the fear of attack on the subways, more people are using ground transportation, thus clogging up the narrowed streets.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 12:11 PM

I am reminded of my late father's usual response when someone complained about the way things were in the city they resided in. He would simply say "well, that's what you get for living there".

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2024 12:14 PM

^ NYC has always been about survival of the fittest. Leave the elderly behind and carry on with your lives.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote] e-bikes are coming out of nowhere and nearly mowing pedestrians down

The maniacal, meth'd-up bike messengers and delivery guys were always a far bigger threat to the average pedestrian than cars, muggers, or wilding street gangs combined.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2024 12:22 PM

Better options would have been just take the subway, or even walking briskly would have taken perhaps 40 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2024 12:22 PM

R23: The elderly seem to do ok in NYC. Lots of them on the UWS, in particular. The density makes it better than being in some far suburb--elevator buildings and walkable neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2024 12:37 PM

R24 Indeed. I was hit by a courier on 6th Ave in 1988. The bike landed on me and the rider flew over my head.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2024 1:12 PM

No, WE took it!

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2024 1:20 PM

They are about to implement congestion tolls.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2024 1:34 PM

Sounds an awful lot like...FLYOVER COUNTRY!!!

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2024 1:48 PM

[quote] I miss gritty actual NYC

The South Americans will give you what you want

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2024 2:07 PM

I miss X rated Times square. It's like Atlantic city now.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2024 2:08 PM

I’ve noticed a lot more cars in the last couple of years. I chalked it up to Covid fear.

The streets of Manhattan used to be quiet on Sundays, now they’re clogged with cars. I live in the Village and I can’t understand why so many drive down Bleecker Street. Can’t you just drive a few more blocks and take Houston? Why is Bleecker Street so clogged up?

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2024 2:27 PM

[quote]I live in the Village and I can’t understand why so many drive down Bleecker Street. Can’t you just drive a few more blocks and take Houston? Why is Bleecker Street so clogged up?

Because Bleecker is one of those name NY streets from story and song, like Park and Fifth Avenues?

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2024 2:29 PM

New York (Manhattan) hasn't been gritty for forty or fifty years. It's got a little more Lord of the Flies since COVID. What do people want?

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2024 2:35 PM

Stores in Manhattan are too expensive to be used for the kinds of small businesses that make street life interesting. But with the collapse of office life, those prices will come down. Manhattan is constantly changing.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2024 2:41 PM

It's the future of city living!

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2024 2:42 PM

The last time Manhattan had grit was the 1980s and by the end of that decade, the grit was only in pockets here and there. Viewed in hindsight, and now that I'm over 60, the clean up and blandification was SWIFT!

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2024 2:46 PM

Fox, r31? Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2024 2:51 PM

Bike and bus lanes that reduced the width of the road. Some cross streets (23rd, 14th) are single lane now. North/South that were 3-4 lanes wide are down to 2.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2024 2:51 PM

[Quote] The streets used to be quiet Sundays

I offered to drive someone to a matinee a few weeks ago. The streets were filled from 55th & across to Lex and below like it was a workday.

It used to be fairly easy to find Sunday parking.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2024 2:52 PM

It’s actually interesting reading all of this because I haven’t been to NYC for maybe 5 years now. Makes me sad how corporate our cities have become and how it’s damaged the actual culture. But this has happened across all of our cities.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2024 4:46 PM

Do the bikes even use the bike lanes?

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2024 4:56 PM

What are you talking about, OP? High speed paparazzi chases regularly happen on its streets!

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2024 4:59 PM

Here’s where in the thread the jaded NYer pops in and tells all us Flyoverstands to “fuck right off!”

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2024 4:59 PM

I don't blame the chains first and foremost. They're the only ones who can afford the retail rents. So it's the landlords and the municipalities or some combination that is at the root of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2024 5:56 PM

NYC has allowed America's decline towards conglomerate corporate marketing strategies to corrupt its uniqueness.

Because, after all, it's in America.

by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2024 6:01 PM

OP you choose to take a car in Manhattan rather than the train, and you are complaining about traffic? You are the traffic!

But you see now why they are moving forward with congestion pricing. Manhattan is choked with cars, might as well charge them if they don't want to take the train.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2024 6:12 PM

I hear cannabis retails on every other block.

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2024 9:05 PM

It gave us Donald Trump. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2024 9:38 PM

That was Queens, r50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2024 10:01 PM

Poor Donny, he came from such humble beginnings. A backwater shack in Jamaica Queens. And he has lied for decades that he only took a loan of $1M from his father and build a real estate empire with it. The truth is he inherited over $400M in money and assets and he still managed to go bankrupt 4 times.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2024 10:05 PM

Six times.

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2024 10:09 PM

How much was the cab ride?

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2024 11:45 PM

People are never happy in Manhattan. No matter the era, it was more exciting back when. And “back when” people were complaining it was better before. And so on. And so forth.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2024 11:49 PM

Man who should have been in jail for punching a woman punches a little girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 15, 2024 12:44 AM

The district attorney office is responsible for all this repeat offender shit. Unless there is an actual corpse, they will continue to release all the perps regardless of what they do and how often they repeat it. And they bring in the national guard to police the subway system. That's because you have your police ignoring most of the crimes, and when they do arrest the criminals, the DA office releases them anyway. So who is kidding who here? We went from one extreme with the over the top stop & frisk, to the current lax I don't give a flying fuck attitude and policy of law enforcement in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 57April 15, 2024 1:49 AM

Just as in my reaction to Fla and all of the shit DeSantis is pulling, I don't feel sorry for New York. You voted for this, and only you can fix it. Vote the assholes out, even if they carry the precious "D" after their name.

by Anonymousreply 58April 15, 2024 1:56 AM

D = dickhead?

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2024 2:05 AM

Manhattan has been NOTHING but chains since the aughts. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2024 2:14 AM

We have the same big box stores you can find anywhere in America now. The more mid-high rises we build with 3-4,000 sq ft apartments, the more small buildings on the avenues get torn down. The same buildings that used to house small mom and pop-type stores in their much smaller retail space. Even those small spaces still had astronomical monthly rents. Many of the new $$$$ buildings put residential entrances on the side streets, often with commercial space in the avenue sides of the properties. These spaces are enormous and the rents unthinkable for a corner deli, framing store, cozy restaurant, etc, etc... All the little spots that made us unique. Only the huge chain places can afford the rent, and even they often fail after a few years. The city and/or state should be doing something to keep some retail space available for small businesses. These new mammoth apartment buildings have less apartments than the smaller buildings they tore down, and a large percentage of the owners don't even live here full-time. It's disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 61April 15, 2024 2:28 AM

R61, I agree!!!! Why are we allowing our state and local governments to sit on their hands while every fucking small business just DIES???

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2024 2:56 AM

What happened to the big apple? Having 72,918 residents per square mile might get a bit tricky.

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote]D = dickhead?

Many of the "D"s have turned out to be dickheads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2024 3:24 AM

I like the island Manhattan. (I know you do!)

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2024 11:58 AM

The latest subway delight are mentally ill spitting at you on the stairs out of you don’t give them money.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2024 12:03 PM

Lexington in the 50ies and 60ies still has loads of small businesses.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2024 12:04 PM

It's not complicated r61. As Manhattan gets more expensive interesting small businesses get priced out. It's the same reason the artsy hipster crowd was forced to move from the East Village to Williamsburg and then to Bushwick.

Have to go where land is cheaper. Now even Bushwick is getting pricey.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2024 12:58 PM

[quote] Have to go where land is cheaper. Now even Bushwick is getting pricey.

Elmira or bust!

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2024 12:35 PM

Get on a train bozo.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2024 12:47 PM

[quote] We went from one extreme with the over the top stop & frisk, to the current lax I don't give a flying fuck attitude

One of these is not like the other

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 5:59 PM

R61 The same thing has happened to Chicago in the last 10-15 years. It seems like every other store is now a Target, Whole Foods, Home Depot, Apple Store, etc. Subways and Chipotles where interesting lunch spots used to be, TJ Maxx and Burlington Coat Factories where mini garment districts used to be. It's like big cities are turning into suburban bigbox interstate strips. Hideous cookie cutter highrises replacing grey and brownstones left and right. Everything is starting to look the same.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 7:50 PM

[quote] Get on a train bozo.

Smoosh in and stuck with raving lunatics, silly!

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 8:07 PM

Time to outlaw cars there. Just mass public transportation, bikes and walking.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 8:27 PM

How do you propose moving apartments, R74, or getting food delivered to grocery stores? Where do ambulances fit in? And taxis? How do we keep the wandering herd, AirPods at the ready, and the St. Cyclists out of the way when they're in it?

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 8:41 PM

I was there 2 wee is ago and was horrified when we were going uptown. Almost all the 6 story buildings that used to have restaurants and shops on the ground floor are gone and it’s nothing but giant condo skyscrapers everywhere. It was making me sick with claustrophobia.

It made me think of all the shops I used to go to that stopped existing. Camera shops, little Israeli electronics shops, stationery stores, copying shops, video stores, green grocers, Chinese restaurants, bagel shops, bakeries.

We went past a small market that still exists …it was there in 1985 when I first moved there - and it was packed with literally lines of young people inside. We wondered why it was so crowded and then we realized it’s because it was the only small market left standing.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 8:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!