Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I made a soufflé

Jealous, bitches?

My friend has been giving me a lot of fresh eggs, as she keeps chickens. They really are good (like how a tomato from the garden tastes more “tomato-y” than one from the store.) So I looked at some egg recipes.

Intimidated by the idea of making a soufflé my whole life, I was mostly leery of folding in the whipped egg whites - but one tutorial pointed out the whites don’t have to be 100% meticulously incorporated. There can be streaks of white. Another recipe recommended the mold be baked in a pan of hot water, so I added that step.

Anyway, it turned out great, even though I don’t have the perfect baking pan! I was surprised that the process wasn’t hard if I went step by step, and accepted that the unbaked soufflé batter isn’t as delicate as I assumed. The only delicate part is serving it immediately, which everyone knows, anyway. And not opening the over door during the first 25 mins.

Have you had soufflé adventures? Share your soufflé scandals and successes here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2024 7:48 AM

You’re BANANAS, you know that?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2024 8:23 PM

Never knew why so many people find making soufflé intimidating. It's not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2024 8:38 PM

What kind OP? Cheese, chocolate, grand marnier?

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2024 8:40 PM

I know people will think I am making this up, but I used to sometimes serve individual prune soufflés for dessert at a dinner party.

The prunes stew for a bit in red wine and sugar then get processed in a food processor.

I would serve them with a Grand Marnier crème anglaise.

Perhaps I should share the recipe here.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2024 8:50 PM

[quote]r3 What kind, OP? Cheese, chocolate, grand marnier?

Cheese. I just used sharp cheddar because that’s what was on hand.

I did this unwhipped variation the day before, as a dry run. This was also very good. It just doesn’t have that unique, airy texture, or rise as much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote]Perhaps I should share the recipe here.

Must you?

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2024 8:55 PM

You just fold in the cheese

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote] Must you?

Yes, R6, I must.

You alone just convinced me to.

Your response should be ‘thank you’—it’s a great recipe.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote] r2 Never knew why so many people find making soufflé intimidating. It's not that hard.

It’s because ruined soufflés are such a staple of sitcoms.

Also, I don’t think soufflés are a staple of middle class cooking. My working, single mom never made them. So maybe a lot of people just didn’t grow up eating them and so consider them a “fancy” food. And people assume fancy = difficult.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2024 9:50 PM

I have a full box of mangoes so Greg should post a mango recipe.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2024 10:17 PM

That Jacques Pepin video at R5 - I think he doesn't even separate the yolks from the whites. It's the souffle recipe that his mom taught him.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2024 10:20 PM

Yes. I said it’s an upwhipped variation. The whites do not get whipped.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2024 10:56 PM

Good for you, OP,

Individual souffles in ramekins are less intimidating than a big souffle and are easier to serve. I learned how to make egg, cheese and chocolate souffles from watching Julia Child. You separate the eggs, beat the whites with a hand mixer, make the base with the yolks, fold in the whites, and transfer to a souffle dish with an aluminum foil ring attached to let the top of the souffle climb upward.

They're so rich that they don't particularly appeal to me anymore. Lots of classic French dishes now taste too rich and a little bland but Julia was great for teaching basic technique.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2024 5:01 AM

I learned how to make cheese soufflés in the 1975 trade paperback edition of Joy of Cooking. It was simple, and the only time I ever had a problem was when using an electric stove. The soufflé didn’t rise as much as usual because of the overhead heating element. Somehow I lost my soufflé dish, so I haven’t made one in years.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2024 5:21 AM

What I learned from reading the various soufflé recipes:

You want the milk to be hot when you add it to the roux, as cold milk will cause the butter to solidify and maybe make the béchamel sauce grainy. You can also add this hot milk all at once. (Before, I’d pour it in about 1/2 cup at a time when making macaroni and cheese, as that’s how the Joy of Cooking instructs you to do that step… but I guess it doesn’t matter.)

You want to cool this sauce somewhat before adding the egg yolks, or they might scramble. You can start by adding some of the warm sauce to the egg yolks first, raising their temperature a bit, then pour that mixture back into the sauce. (I think this is called tempering the eggs.)

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2024 5:39 AM

There's a place in San Francisco / North Beach called Cafe Jacqueline. Their menu consists of dinner souffles and dessert souffles. It's still open! I can't believe it. Now, the gruyere souffle (for 2) is $55. I guess that's not bad for 2 people. The chocolate souffle (serves 2 to 4) is $57.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2024 6:07 AM

The souffles I make are never simple. It's all about bringing the eggs and other ingredients to room temp and perfectly separating the yolks from the whites and carefully beating the whites in a copper bowl into Stiff Peaks for 37 minutes, then delicately folding them into the other twee ingredients or else you'll die painfully. You bake the thing in a bain marie in a perfectly tempered oven in a buttered $4,780 cerise-couloured Souffle dish from Sur La Table, but not on a too humid day, and the house must be totally silent. If the cat meows, you must sacrifice it to the Souffle Goddess.

The only time my mother ever seriously threatened me physically was when she was making several souffles in c.1971 while sipping on Grand Mariner, as me and my little third-grade friends terrorized the house. I still have her hardbound copy of "The Joy Of Cooking" from the early 1960s with her notes, and memories of watching Julia Child and The Galloping Gourmet on KQED/PBS on our black and white TV. She worked full time, raised five kids, was a phenomenal chef and fag hag, miss her.

My Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes (souffles in individual ramekins) would cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2024 6:28 AM

[quote] carefully beating the whites in a copper bowl into Stiff Peaks for 37 minutes

Beating egg whites for 37 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2024 6:45 AM

r17 = why DL needs downvoting.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2024 7:03 AM

I thought R17 was mocking that recipe creature.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 1:45 PM

Fuck off, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 1:51 PM

Thomas Keller beats his whites for three days.

They are luxurious.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2024 1:53 PM

Thank you Op - because of you and this thread I fell down the soufflé rabbit hole last night googling cheese soufflé recipes. I have never made one but now I have become a little obsessed about it ….. it also made me think of Audrey Hepburn in “Sabrina” struggling with her soufflés!

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2024 3:43 PM

Greg, wow - you really are nothing more than just a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote] Greg, wow - you really are nothing more than just a cunt.

Now why, R24, would you say such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2024 7:35 PM

OP, I think you and I would get along really well in real life.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2024 7:44 PM

R24, you just realizing that? I blocked it ages ago for boring, prosy posts and seething cuntery when called out on its games.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2024 7:56 PM

I’m so surprised not to have noticed R27’s absence.

Usually when the neighborhood sniveller pouts and sulks away, I take notice.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote]r26 OP, I think you and I would get along really well in real life.

Thank you : ) That is very sweet to say.

For the rest, I shall continue my Soufflé Safari below… my dreams, my failures, the hard won lessons, the tips and tricks…

————————————

Shockingly, though I look a mere 39, I am a bit older. Nothing reminded me more of this fact than when I zoned out and got confused separating the (many) eggs. There are specific steps and you may end up with a lot of dishes to wash.

If the sauce is still cooling, you need three bowls. You separate the first egg over the middle bowl, which should end up holding only 1 egg white at a time. You dump the egg yolk from that shell into one of the other bowls, then transfer the white from the middle bowl into the last, empty bowl. (Whichever 2 bowls you’re using for the whites have to start out completely dry.)

So now you have your middle bowl empty again. The benefit of this is if you break the yolk when cracking the next egg, or separating it, you’re not going to contaminate and waste your growing egg white collection, which will only really whip correctly without any yolk (or water) in them.

So anyway, repeat all those division steps as above.

You could use the cooled saucepan of sauce as the bowl for the yolks, as that’s what they’ll eventually be whisked into - but having the separate bowl for yolks lets you easily check for any bits of shell that might have got in there.

Maybe I should write a book: [italic]My Soufflé Awakenings.[/italic] Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2024 9:09 PM

R27 also thinks that “The Wizard of Oz” is “very over-rated” — and therefore is not to be trusted.

He is weak and whiny.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2024 9:15 PM

My friends - our soufflés will not rise with snipings and bitterness in the air.

I encourage you to embrace one another as Sweet Soufflé Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2024 9:34 PM

R29, as you become more experienced and confident, making a souffle will seem like second nature. An important step is to take out everything you're going to need before cooking and prep the ingredients. For example, grate the cheese and separate the eggs in the beginning.

Always read the recipe several times and if you can, print it out.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2024 10:10 PM

Settle down, OP. It’s not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2024 11:09 PM

r27, admittedly, I am a slow learner. Mom used to make her Souffles in cheap clay bowls that she bought across the border in Tijuana. They were probably lined with lead paint.

Have tried to be supportive of Greg, which proved to be a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2024 5:18 AM

[quote] Greg, wow - you really are nothing more than just a cunt.

I honestly don’t know what prompted that.

I believe you misread something above.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2024 5:38 AM

You really should be upset with R19, not me.

I said nothing about you.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2024 5:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2024 5:57 AM

Still waiting for R27/R24 to tell me why she’s so upset with me.

Having never addressed her, directly or indirectly, I simply cannot imagine the cause.

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2024 12:55 PM

Souffles are very temperamental once in the oven. If you open the door too early to see if they're cooked, it can lead to disaster. If you slam the oven door, as Phyllis does to Sue Ann, it's all over.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2024 1:42 PM

Paired with a simple salad, cheese soufflé is the perfect holiday lunch.

Similar to crab cakes, it feels like a treat to have a cheese soufflé, a salad, and a crisp white wine.

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2024 4:18 PM

Last month I had my friends over for lunch on a Sunday. I bought some Chinese food tonight before and they loved the Chinese food and I decided to make something homemade for dessert to accompany the Chinese meal. I made my almond torte – they loved it. My friend and I said - it was superb!

by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2024 6:11 PM

Not a fan of almond. Orange would have been better imo R41.

by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2024 6:17 PM

R40- Are you a FAT WHORE Greg?

You consume very high fat , high calorie foods.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2024 10:17 PM

No, R43, I’m not.

You are the one who is addicted to sweets and who eats polenta lasagne.

A cheese soufflé does not contain a lot of calories and fat.

I eat in moderation.

And you? Are you overweight?

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2024 10:58 PM

[quote] Last month I had my friends over for lunch on a Sunday. I bought some Chinese food tonight before and they loved the Chinese food and I decided to make something homemade for dessert to accompany the Chinese meal. I made my almond torte – they loved it. My friend and I said - it was superb!

Do you mean that you purchased Chinese food “the night” before?

What a shitty meal, if I’m being honest.

Leftover take away Chinese food and an almond torte?

🤮

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2024 11:04 PM

Also, R41, you really should take an English class for the learning disabled.

Read your post and see what an embarrassment it is.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2024 11:06 PM

This Saturday reminds me of how sometimes I think that this whole website is set up just so people that know me know that I will comment on here and gather dirt on me or just mess with me or something I don't know.

Like today when this idiot at work was showing off his stupid chocolate raspberry cake he made and then it made me think of how somebody posted a picture one saying their boyfriend made it for them or some s*** here.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2024 11:16 PM

You sound like trouble, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2024 11:21 PM

Greg, regarding your post at r22, really? How could he possibly? I mean if anyone would do that it would be Thomas Keller, but if true, wow! I looked at his Chocolate Souffle recipe and he takes pains to advise not to over-whisk the whites.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2024 11:35 PM

R49, it was a joke, playing off of R17.

by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2024 11:46 PM

Now I want to whip egg whites for three days and see what happens

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 12:27 AM

Damnit, OP -you let my secret out of the bag! I've been taking accolades for my souffles for years -and now you go telling everyone that they aren't hard to make at all. After all the hard work those early sitcoms put in, filling people's heads with myths about how hard they are to make and how fragile they are in the oven... It's all falling down around my like.. like a sitcom souffle! At least no one will ever get my secret ingredient, sage-infused darby cheese, from me. I'll guard that one to my grave!

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 3:38 AM

Eww, R47 chocolate raspberry combination. Not good. I loathe chocolate with fruit. Both fruit and chocolate are sweet enough on their own. Thrown together it's too much.

I love chocolate with coffee and plain cream fillings.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 12:54 PM

I dislike chocolate and orange, but I very much like chocolate and raspberry.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 1:06 PM

I could have typed r54. Raspberries are my favorite fruit. They play nicely with chocolate. I make a flourless chocolate cake (Michael's of Santa Monica) that I serve with a raspberry coulis and whipped cream. Haagen-Dazs made a raspberry/dark chocolate ice cream sometime prior to 2009 that they should have made a standard flavor.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 2:23 PM

R55 - now I want to try all of the chocolate and raspberry stuff that you mentioned. Damn - it’s late. The only sweet in the refrigerator is apple sauce …..

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2024 4:39 AM

I prefer a mousse over a souffle

by Anonymousreply 57April 17, 2024 4:58 AM

Whip egg whites for three days and all you’d be left with would be air. They wouldn’t have any moisture left in them. Whatever was left of them wouidn’t be luxurious. They’d be like dried egg white flakes.

by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2024 6:01 AM

^^^ Oh, come on and just say it: three-day-whipped egg whites would look like dried cum.

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2024 6:05 AM

R57 I do too. Particularly when it comes to chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2024 7:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!