Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was there anything tacky about Jackie Kennedy?

Many Americans talk about her as a pinnacle of taste and elegance. Was there any American more elegant than she was? Do Europeans have a similar view of her, or is she more average in a European context?

by Anonymousreply 301April 29, 2024 4:56 PM

Marrying Onassis was pretty tacky

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2024 12:13 PM

She was spoiled. She didn't really seem to grow up until after Ari perished.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2024 12:19 PM

I feel like any time I heard her speak, she sounded like a little rich girl. Not Veruca Salt-like, but like a finishing school rich girl. Speak like a woman.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2024 12:21 PM

I adore her but wasn’t impressed when I read that she pushed Caroline to lose weight before her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2024 12:24 PM

Speed freak.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2024 12:30 PM

She was a greedy snob whose eyes were too far apart and she had massive hands and feet.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2024 12:31 PM

Pretty typical for women of her generation. Nancy Reagan slapped Patti for staring at cookies in the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2024 12:31 PM

I was going to say the same thing that R1 said. As tacky as it gets. But still think she should have gotten a helluva lot more than 26 million at her divorce. In for a penny in for a pound.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2024 12:34 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt hated her. ER was at a Democratic fundraiser that Jackie was supposed to attend. When ER asked why Jackie wasn’t in attendance she was told because she couldn’t get her hair to look right.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2024 12:37 PM

Her love of money. She was raised that way by an avaricious mother.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2024 12:42 PM

She sold her blood and brain-splattered pink suit for a cool $5M.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2024 12:45 PM

She used margarine at state dinners.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2024 12:48 PM

Jackie wanted to be Bunny Mellon. Limitless wealth.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2024 12:51 PM

I thought the wedding dress was tacky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2024 12:55 PM

Jackie O is admired for her stoicism and stiff upper lip during an enormous personal and national crisis. The father of her young children and the POTUS was blasted to death in front of her. She endured with a supernatural grace and led by example.

She led by example from the beginning. She saw the White House looked like a broken down frat house and immediately restored it with many American antiques to represent the best of us.

There wasn't a lot of money for the restoration, she used her charm and connections to complete the project.

Bunny Mellon designed the White House garden. For free. Out of friendship for Jackie Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2024 1:01 PM

The Kennedy family chose the design and paid for the dress.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2024 1:02 PM

Jackie hated her wedding dress too.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2024 1:03 PM

Marrying Onassis was a response to Robert Kennedy's death. She needed full security, financial coverage, and a break from being the cherished widow in a family where her husband and brother-in-law were targeted and killed. She knew more than we do and want OUT.

For me, her cigarette breath was the tackiest thing about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2024 1:09 PM

She wore ratty panties.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2024 1:11 PM

What’s with the insecurity, OP? Why does the European view of her matter either way?

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2024 1:17 PM

She was on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2024 1:17 PM

Achieving financial security was obviously important to her although it took a form that seems odd to people who truly lived hand to mouth. Her family was the Catholic version of Old Money, but mostly had trappings and scandal rather than actual money. Compared with her dreadful mother and sister, Jackie is practically a saint. She was someone who evolved over time, which she shared with JFK and RFK. It makes her way more interesting than some one dimensional social climber like Nancy Reagan. She lacked the simple graciousness of Lady Bird, but she wasn't sad and embittered like Pat Nixon or a lush like Betty Ford. And she was way more elegant than Mamie "parsley potatoes" Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2024 1:18 PM

She loved money and there wasn't enough until she married and divorced the satyr.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2024 1:20 PM

R4, Many brides diet before their wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2024 1:23 PM

Onassis was probably a much better lover than JFK.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2024 1:23 PM

Just remember her first cousins were Big and Little Edie.

Don't say, "money doesn't matter".

Because it is not true.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2024 1:28 PM

R22 has the the better analysis.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2024 1:31 PM

Using personal checks knowing vendors would rather keep the checks than cash them because the checks bore the former First Lady’s autograph.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2024 1:31 PM

She'd sell her designer clothing at a consignment shop for extra cash. Tacky.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2024 1:33 PM

The vicious way she suppressed the William Manchester book on the Kennedy assassination that the Kennedys had authorized.

[quote]Anyone who is against me will look like a rat -- unless I run off with Eddie Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2024 1:34 PM

She never took pictures with her cooter hanging out.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2024 1:52 PM

Actually she did but not by choice. Paparazzi caught her sunbathing nude and published the photos.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2024 1:55 PM

Giving paps the money shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2024 1:56 PM

The satyr arranged for the pap shot. Spiteful.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2024 2:03 PM

It's years since I've read any of Gore Vidal's memoirs but he spoke fondly of his step-sister (there might have been a falling out at some stage). What is clear in my memory is that he wasn't cynical about the Onassis marriage. Gore believed women should always pursue those advantages. After all, his own mother did it three times.

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2024 2:08 PM

Vidal wrote the marriage was a necessity. Period.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2024 2:11 PM

Vidal was banned from the WH after getting into a catfight with JFK's bestie Lem Billings.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2024 2:11 PM

Marrying for love is a phenomenon relatively recent to human social anthropology.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2024 2:42 PM

I know about Lem Billings. But there's another story about a WH occasion when Jackie was sitting on an ottoman and Gore was crouched down chatting to her. As he stood up he placed a hand on Jackie's shoulder to steady himself and RFK swooped in to brush it away. "Hands Off The First Lady!!!" Apparently they almost came to blows.

Either way, I'm sure there were some in Camelot who viewed Gore as an intruder. In the hierarchy of WH Queens he must have been lowest in the pecking order.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2024 2:42 PM

I adore Jackie O.

But there is no denying what r30 posts.

She used her status and money to socially and financially brutalize poor William Manchester. That’s is a real negative.

On the other hand, in that book written by her secret service agent ( who was in love with her. He doesn’t write that but it’s as obvious as neon between the words) she required her children to obey and be respectful to all adults no matter their station and position.

I have nothing to base this on but I think Christina forked over to her more than 26 million. I think part of the deal is they agreed on what amount would leak to the press. They both saved face with that amount.

Oh, and Christina’s much reported hatred of Jackie didn’t stop her from calling on her after Ari Onassis was dead. She was showing off for latest boyfriend and Hackie always was gracious.

Tish Baldridge or Nancy Tuckerman ( I get those two mixed up) had no hesitation saying that to her interviewer after Jackie died.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2024 3:06 PM

It's time we brought Melania back, just to bring class and elegance to the White House.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2024 3:07 PM

She held a job. And as a lowly magazine magazine editor. Who the fuck did she think she was? Anna Wintour? Trash!

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2024 3:08 PM

“Hackie”

Self “Oh, dear”

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2024 3:08 PM

After John and Bobby, she made a play for Teddy but he turned her down. No triple hat for that tawdry, Papist slut!

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2024 3:11 PM

Her “shopping sprees” during the Onassis marriage were actually cash grabs.

She would go to store and buy 100 pairs of shoes or 30 blouses or something in one trip, all charged to Onassis’ credit card. Then she would have Nancy Tuckerman or her maid take them to a consignment shop and sell them for cash, pocketing the proceeds.

That’s rather tacky. She did it because he gave her an allowance of $30,000 every month for shopping and household expenses (in late 60s/early 70s dollars) and by the 10th day of the month she was asking Onassis for more.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2024 3:15 PM

R45 - Cocaine is expensive, Miss Stella!

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2024 3:20 PM

Her worst quality was her snobbishness. She made bitchy comments about various members of her husband's administration in the interviews after JFK's assassination that were pretty appalling, such as her infamous giggling reference to the Johnsons as "Colonel Cornpone and his little porkchop wife."

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2024 3:23 PM

I thought everything about her was tacky.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2024 3:30 PM

Wasn't there considerable animosity between Lyndon and John? One of the numerous rumors was his own involvement in John being assassinated.

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2024 3:31 PM

She went by "Jackie".

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2024 3:31 PM

I love the anecdote shared by the White House cook, who sometimes found madam in the kitchen late at night, spoon in hand, consuming mass quantities of ice cream.

The poor gal was scrutinized every waking minute of every single day, and God help her if a hair was out of place, but even the most iron self discipline has to break sometimes and for me, that humanized her, rather than was “tacky.”

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2024 3:37 PM

Ari knew how to please a woman, unlike Jack.

JFK only cared about his climax, not his partner’s.

Onassis was bisexual. As a youth, he would seduce and pleasure the prison guards where his father was incarcerated so he’d receive better treatment from them.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2024 3:43 PM

R52 what?! Is that true about Onassis?

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2024 3:47 PM

“When his father was imprisoned in Turkey, during the Greek holocaust, it was said that Ari seduced a Turkish officer in order to free him—not because he was homosexual by nature, but because it was the most effective way of getting what he wanted. Nicholas Gage, author of “Greek Fire,” once said of him: “he felt that everybody had a price, and could be bought; but, like most cynics, he wanted to be proven wrong.” He never was.”

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2024 4:01 PM

R26: Big Edie was Jackie’s AUNT, not cousin.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2024 4:04 PM

They built her up into something that she was not.

Eleanor is the benchmark by which subsequent FLOTUS’s should be judged by.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2024 4:19 PM

She was a woman of her time and of her class. She was raised to be a courtesan, like all women of her social status. It was what it was.

After Onassis died, however, and feminism really kicked off she got an office job even though she didn't need the money at all. She took the 5th Ave. bus to her job at Doubleday Books every morning and worked hard at her job. Everybody who worked with her said she was an excellent editor. I've always admired that about her.

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2024 5:11 PM

[quote]For me, her cigarette breath was the tackiest thing about her.

Everybody and their mother smoked in those days. It was a totally different world.

by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2024 5:12 PM

She smoked in her apartment. That’s pretty tacky.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2024 5:12 PM

She seemed to calm down after she got her Onassis settlement and money was no longer a concern.

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2024 5:14 PM

She couldn't manage on $30k a month? What was that bitch doing?

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2024 5:14 PM

[quote]Just remember her first cousins were Big and Little Edie.

[quote]Don't say, "money doesn't matter".

[quote]Because it is not true.

So true. IMHO Jackie saw the disaster that happened with her aunt and cousin and it scared the living hell out of her. She easily could've ended up like that and did what she had to do to prevent it.

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2024 5:15 PM

[quote]As he stood up he placed a hand on Jackie's shoulder to steady himself and RFK swooped in to brush it away. "Hands Off The First Lady!!!"

Which gave rise to Vidal suing Truman Capote for a million bucks when, in an interview with Playgirl magazine of all things, Capote claimed that Vidal was picked up and frog marched to the exit where he was unceremoniously tossed onto Pennsylvania Avenue. Capote had to cave and publish a public apology when Lee Radziwill (who told Capote the story) refused to testify on his behalf, telling Liz Smith "Who cares, they're just a couple of fags."

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote]She smoked in her apartment. That’s pretty tacky.

So did everyone else back then. Indoor smoking was just a part of life.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2024 5:19 PM

R63: Even Vidal always seemed to change his story about how things ended with the Kennedys. It probably doesn't matter what really happened.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]Her worst quality was her snobbishness.

Overcompensating for the fact that WASPs looked down on people like her and she knew it.

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2024 9:12 PM

Jackie would be turning 95 in July.

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2024 9:16 PM

[quote]Using personal checks knowing vendors would rather keep the checks than cash them because the checks bore the former First Lady’s autograph.

That’s actually pretty fucking smart.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2024 9:17 PM

The smoking…while knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2024 9:23 PM

I loved the little money laundering schem that Jackie had going, as described above. Whatever she spent on clothes was a pittance compared to the fortune Onassis had.

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2024 9:24 PM

She smoked herself to an early death at age 64.

by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]The smoking…while knocked up.

They all did that back then. The hazards of smoking while pregnant were not fully understood.

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2024 9:25 PM

R72, Neither was drinking.

by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2024 10:39 PM

Her sista Jayne was much prettier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2024 11:21 PM

Very average to Europeans. Lizard eyes. Looked like she was popping pills all the time. Only looked good at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2024 11:26 PM

Marrying into that horse-toothed family of whores, manwhores, and drug addicts.

She could've married a Cushing, or a Vanderbilt, or an Otis. She could've married serious money, and lived a dignified life at Newport and Palm Beach. Instead she married Jack the Garbage Dick, kept him likable until his brains got splattered onto her Chanel, then married some horny Greek magnate, then "worked" as a book editor and let her sleazy boyfriend manage her finances.

She was evidently not too present as a mother, despite all her play-acting when the children were young. Just look how they turned out. People with good parentage don't turn out like that.

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2024 11:37 PM

^^Oh, European First Ladies are so faultlessly beautiful. What American First Lady could ever live up to their standards of beauty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2024 11:37 PM

Her kids turned out fine. She was by all accounts a good mother.

by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2024 11:39 PM

Here's Jackie being overshadowed by the sheer gorgeousness of Lady Dorothy Macmillan, the wife of the British PM at the time. No wonder Jackie seemed so average to European eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2024 11:41 PM

R78 One bought a bankrupt "lifestyle" magazine and vastly overinflated his skills as a private pilot, and t'other tried to Nepo Baby herself into the US Senate but had to settle for serving as US Ambassador to two vital Pacific allies. And she hasn't held a paying job in decades.

R79 Lady Dorothy was a serial philanderer, even looking like that.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2024 11:45 PM

r80 they still turned out okay.

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote] [R79] Lady Dorothy was a serial philanderer, even looking like that.

You don't need to be beautiful to be a philanderer.

And that the point of my post was that as a First Lady she indeed "look[ed] like that," so to say Jackie was "very average to European eyes" is a ridiculous claim.

by Anonymousreply 82April 14, 2024 12:02 AM

R76: The Cushings didn't have sons and a Protestant family wouldn't want their sons marrying a Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 83April 14, 2024 12:09 AM

Only the back side of her pasties.

by Anonymousreply 84April 14, 2024 12:12 AM

She was a chin up, tits out, kind of gal. Even when she had to go on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 85April 14, 2024 12:21 AM

She became friends with Charlayne Hunter Gault. She admired Gault’s shoes; they both had large feet and Charlayne took her to the shoe store where she bought hers.

by Anonymousreply 86April 14, 2024 12:26 AM

That Protestant vs. Catholic stuff was such bullshit. Thank god the world moved on and it's irrelevant now. In fact, so many people today aren't religious at all.

by Anonymousreply 87April 14, 2024 12:34 AM

Jackie was a sensation in a way no other First Lady EVER was. The French swooned for her, the Pope loved her, she elevated American taste with international impact, she altered US fashion and style, and she was wildly popular and respected on foreign trips with her knowledge and facility in languages. Her influence peaked at JFK's death and funeral because of her dignity and composure.

No one in the world looked down on purr, purr Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 88April 14, 2024 12:42 AM

R57: "She took the 5th Ave. bus to her job at Doubleday Books every morning"

The same woman who married a hideous beast for his money so that she could protect herself and her children after her husband's and brother-in-law's assassinations "took the 5th Ave. bus" to work every morning? You actually believe that?

by Anonymousreply 89April 14, 2024 12:51 AM

And I pick my nose.

by Anonymousreply 90April 14, 2024 12:51 AM

“HOW much for this bunch of asparagus?!!”

by Anonymousreply 91April 14, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote]the Pope loved her

The Pope loved Evita Peron too.

by Anonymousreply 92April 14, 2024 1:04 AM

r89 she did. The bus stopped right near her building. Doubleday was just down 5th in Midtown.

by Anonymousreply 93April 14, 2024 1:05 AM

Listen bitches, if an ugly old billionaire wanted to marry you and you only had to fuck him 3 or 4 times a year but otherwise you could do whatever the fuck you wanted and go shopping all day every single one of you would do it.

by Anonymousreply 94April 14, 2024 1:06 AM

She always insisted on watching me and John, but she's never join in. So creepy.

by Anonymousreply 95April 14, 2024 1:23 AM

Her cupidity, combined with her affected baby voice and snottiness toward Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson, make me loathe her. The Johnsons together accomplished a great deal and brought personality, intelligence, and benevolent ambition to their time in the White House. Jackie was just a frog-faced hooker in a pillbox hat, completely outclassed by the lovely, smart and dignified Lady Bird.

by Anonymousreply 96April 14, 2024 1:46 AM

Lyndon was a pervie character toward Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 97April 14, 2024 2:07 AM

Lady Bird was not.

And Lyndon was the soul of kindness to Jackie after the assassination. he gave her as much time as she wanted to leave the White House. And he let her come back to visit, and kept her ridiculously pretentious sign she had made for the presidential bedroom door that said "John F. Kennedy lived here with his wife," which Richard Nixon had removed immediately after he moved in.

by Anonymousreply 98April 14, 2024 2:14 AM

And how did that act of possession work out for Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 99April 14, 2024 10:12 AM

R98, Actually, it was Pat who had the plaque removed, believing that it bore no historical significance.

She was correct. What if every Presidential family erected such a plaque as they were departing the White House?

Pat had no animosity towards Jackie. In 1971, she invited Jackie and her children to dinner at the White House and to view the official portraits of JFK and Jackie without the media knowing of the visit.

Jackie was eternally grateful to the Nixons for their kindness and it was the only time she ever returned to the White House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 14, 2024 10:35 AM

Her simian face.

by Anonymousreply 101April 14, 2024 10:37 AM

R96, she had a weird face that wasn't worthy of her hoity-toity attitude.

I preferred Lady Bird, too.

by Anonymousreply 102April 14, 2024 10:39 AM

The entire Kennedy clan seemed to prefer weird-faced, zoonotic women.

by Anonymousreply 103April 14, 2024 10:43 AM

Tacky O

by Anonymousreply 104April 14, 2024 11:24 AM

Didn’t she go alone to movie matinees with a pack of wine coolers and leave the empties under her seat?

by Anonymousreply 105April 14, 2024 11:29 AM

She asked Leona Helmsley for the number of her tax accountant.

by Anonymousreply 106April 14, 2024 12:26 PM

[quote] The entire Kennedy clan seemed to prefer weird-faced, zoonotic women.

Old Joe and the other Kennedy men had to inspect the merchandise before they let her marry Jack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 14, 2024 12:56 PM

R107, did they find her at a monkey sanctuary?

by Anonymousreply 108April 14, 2024 1:01 PM

It wasn't the smoking although it didn't help, it was the black hair dye. My aunt used the same kind and died of the same cancer

by Anonymousreply 109April 14, 2024 1:05 PM

Tacky Kennedy?

by Anonymousreply 110April 14, 2024 1:22 PM

[quote]… as a pinnacle of taste and elegance.

OP, that would be Miss Lindsey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 14, 2024 1:43 PM

R6- She had that EMBRYONIC look.

by Anonymousreply 112April 14, 2024 2:25 PM

R98- Really? Didn’t he have her husband rubbed out.

by Anonymousreply 113April 14, 2024 2:27 PM

The Jackie O love from DLers is because as little boys they saw her and thought that they, too, could become first lady despite looking like a fish.

by Anonymousreply 114April 14, 2024 2:32 PM

[quote] Wasn't there considerable animosity between Lyndon and John?

No, that was arrogant snot Bobbie. He called Johnson “senator cornpone” because LBJ was from common background, instead of gangster-turned-society money like the Kennedys.

JFK respected LBJ’d political acumen and his ambition, and included him in many important meetings, including the Cuban missile crisis. Of course he was VP and wasn’t really listened to.

Then suddenly JFK was dead and the worm turned. I’ve always enjoyed reading about how LBJ got his revenge on Bobby after that.

by Anonymousreply 115April 14, 2024 2:55 PM

Sure, she was tacky--would a REAL lady marry a KENNEDY and then Onassis? But she knew she needed money (and also had a thing for bad boys who were like her scuzzy father). But so what? Coming on the heels, so to speak, of Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower, she was FANTASTICALLY sophisticated and helped change America.

by Anonymousreply 116April 14, 2024 2:56 PM

Did she actually accomplish anything?

by Anonymousreply 117April 14, 2024 2:57 PM

I can think of classier people. Wealth, relative good looks, wearing the fashions of the day doesn't add up to class.

by Anonymousreply 118April 14, 2024 3:01 PM

[quote]Did she actually accomplish anything?

She gave us commoners a look inside the White House with her televised tour.

And she did help to save Grand Central Terminal.

by Anonymousreply 119April 14, 2024 3:04 PM

[quote]Did she actually accomplish anything?

She managed to get the White House renovated from top to bottom, and the rose garden, which of course the Vairst Lady destroyed was a showpiece.

After she was widowed the second time, she leaned in to help save Grand Central as well.

by Anonymousreply 120April 14, 2024 3:05 PM

She gave us JFK, Jr. to look at for 38 years.

by Anonymousreply 121April 14, 2024 3:07 PM

She did more than that. Her poise in the aftermath of her husband's, the POTUS assignation , in her lap! restored the natural order of American democracy. It was unthinkable, but the country moved through and moved forward from the brutal unnatural event by taking much needed directions on decorum from the FLOTUS.

Still wearing clothes with the brains and blood of her husband, Jackie attended the ceremony swearing in Johnson as her husbands successor.

She did more than most, certainly more than her critics.

by Anonymousreply 122April 14, 2024 3:16 PM

[quote] [R89] she did. The bus stopped right near her building. Doubleday was just down 5th in Midtown.

This is correct. My former friend Karen worked at Bradbury when Jackie was at Doubleday. This PT situation was known to all.

Karen said Jackie could be eccentric. Karen would be sitting peeing in a stall in the empty bathroom and someone would come in and occupy the next stall even though the bathroom was otherwise empty, and it was Jackie. You could tell, she said, by the designer shoes and very long feet.

Jackie was known as being hardworking and proposing interesting book ideas the jerks at Doubleday always shot down. Instead they assigned her weirdo Michael Jackson, an experience she found completely exhausting. Imagine being Michael Jackson’s editor!

It was Letitia Baldridge who suggested that Jackie get into editing, and Karen remembered Letitia coming in once to meet Jackie for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 123April 14, 2024 3:17 PM

She was very accessible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 14, 2024 3:31 PM

Did she still have Secret Service in her later years? How was she riding a public bus to work everyday?

by Anonymousreply 125April 14, 2024 3:34 PM

She got on the bus. Paid her fare. The bus moved.

All pretty simple.

by Anonymousreply 126April 14, 2024 3:42 PM

[quote] she was FANTASTICALLY sophisticated and helped change America.

Yes, changed into "style over substance" America.

by Anonymousreply 127April 14, 2024 3:47 PM

She was on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 128April 14, 2024 3:51 PM

Her horrible teeth. All that money and she had the teeth of an old British pauper.

by Anonymousreply 129April 14, 2024 4:06 PM

Bit her nails, smoked like a chimney had nicotine stained teeth, cunty sense of humor. Aside from that she was FABULOUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 14, 2024 4:24 PM

[quote] Aside from that she was FABULOUS.

Her married lovers and their abandoned children agree

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 14, 2024 5:44 PM

R125, She lost it when she married Onassis, who had better security anyway.

by Anonymousreply 132April 14, 2024 5:47 PM

Magats are just useless. At best.

by Anonymousreply 133April 14, 2024 5:55 PM

Black Jack Bouvier would’ve approved of his daughter being comfortably settled with Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 134April 14, 2024 7:17 PM

To all DL-ers: read the recent biography Finding Jackie by Oline Eaton. An excellent book, well-balanced. It's all there.

by Anonymousreply 135April 14, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote]Yes, changed into "style over substance" America.

She was an intelligent, cultured, and well-read woman.

by Anonymousreply 136April 14, 2024 7:40 PM

Jackie had… grace.

by Anonymousreply 137April 14, 2024 8:03 PM

And applied bleach to her yellow teeth with q-tips.

by Anonymousreply 138April 14, 2024 8:07 PM

She also made some unofficial diplomatic visits as well. When she went with Jack on a state visit to France after he took office, the French adored her--she'd studied in Paris for a year and spoke French--to the point that Jack referred to himself as "the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris." She was also the first First Lady to visit India and Pakistan. She made similar trips to other countries, and did well in Latin American countries because she was also fluent in Spanish.

The reverse of her First Spouse coin issued by the US Mint has an image of the magnolia she planted at Jack's grave over a map of the world, and the ends of the petals all point to places she visited.

by Anonymousreply 139April 14, 2024 8:11 PM

R139, Jackie gave de Gaulle a chubby.

by Anonymousreply 140April 14, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote][R139], Jackie gave de Gaulle a chubby.

I'd make a comment about stank sleeve, but then so too did Jack and Ari, so....

by Anonymousreply 141April 14, 2024 8:24 PM

r129 I think her teeth were kind of charming...

by Anonymousreply 142April 14, 2024 8:27 PM

R239 those were all official visits …

by Anonymousreply 143April 14, 2024 8:34 PM

Jackie re-gifted to Ethel the parsley potatoes that Mamie had sent over after Jack’s assassination.

by Anonymousreply 144April 14, 2024 8:45 PM

I'm honestly surprised Mamie didn't pack up the potatoes and take them with her.

by Anonymousreply 145April 14, 2024 8:48 PM

R141, JFK underwent a circumcision at age 18 in 1935 due to a venereal disease.

by Anonymousreply 146April 14, 2024 8:50 PM

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 147April 14, 2024 8:52 PM

JFK’s postmortem medical examination that states he was circumcised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 14, 2024 8:57 PM

Marrying into the Kennedys was TACKY- what possessed her. But shacking up with Ari was even tackier.

by Anonymousreply 149April 14, 2024 9:16 PM

[quote]I'm honestly surprised Mamie didn't pack up the potatoes and take them with her.

They were paid for by the taxpayer. Even if she wanted to, she couldn’t take them.

by Anonymousreply 150April 14, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote]They were paid for by the taxpayer. Even if she wanted to, she couldn’t take them.

Who geeve a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 151April 14, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]Big Edie was Jackie’s AUNT, not cousin.

And Gore Vidal was her step-sister Nina Auchincloss's elder half-brother, not her own stepbrother.

She and Vidal shared Hugh Auchincloss as a stepfather, at different times. Their mothers were married to him.

by Anonymousreply 152April 14, 2024 9:26 PM

More tacky: Mamie's fairy toast or the Vairst Lady's "Christmas in Mordor" decorations?

by Anonymousreply 153April 14, 2024 10:26 PM

R116 Don’t mess with Bess—she never planned on being First Lady. She and Harry were thisclose.

Due to the WH reconstruction, they lived at Blair House for a long time. Due to her personal preference, she spent as much time as possible back at the family home in Independence.

by Anonymousreply 154April 14, 2024 10:37 PM

Charles DeGaulle had her number. After the Kennedys left Paris in 1961 one of DeGaulle’s aides said to him, “Mrs.Kennedy is quite a woman.”

DeGaulle replied, “she is. I can see her in 10 years on the yacht of a Greek petrol billionaire.”

by Anonymousreply 155April 14, 2024 10:59 PM

Well shit. If you have to marry for money, make sure you get paid. You don't do it for handbags and trips!

by Anonymousreply 156April 14, 2024 11:15 PM

She wore very red lipstick under her veil on the day of the president's funeral. It looked really vulgar. She should have stuck to something neutral and understated like peach.

by Anonymousreply 157April 14, 2024 11:49 PM

Did she actually sleep with Nureyev?

by Anonymousreply 158April 14, 2024 11:50 PM

Smoking. IDGAF how popular it was. It was ALWAYS tacky and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2024 12:00 AM

According to Truman Capote (consider the source), she found out Nureyev liked men and then she said she “admired his talent,” r158.

Andy Warhol alleged in his diaries that Warren Beatty bragged about fucking Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2024 12:00 AM

R157, what an odd observation. Through the reams of info published on the funeral, I’ve never seen that. In photos, she doesn’t appear to be wearing any lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2024 12:01 AM

She had to know the smoking was tacky. She made it a point to never be photographed holding one.

by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote]Smoking. IDGAF how popular it was. It was ALWAYS tacky and disgusting.

"Tacky and disgusting" as said by somebody from West Virginia! 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote]She made it a point to never be photographed holding one.

A few did slip through.

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2024 12:26 AM

Dicks? Or Cigarettes?

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2024 12:26 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 15, 2024 12:28 AM

I don't think so. When she was first lady she was extremely famous around the world. Princess Diana level famous.

by Anonymousreply 167April 15, 2024 12:31 AM

R161, I couldn't locate a photo but I've seen it, and it really struck me.

Maybe I saw it in color video somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 168April 15, 2024 12:37 AM

She wouldn’t let John-John become an actor…

by Anonymousreply 169April 15, 2024 12:37 AM

[quote]And Gore Vidal was her step-sister

I thought this was hilarious R152. You could've ended the sentence there.

by Anonymousreply 170April 15, 2024 12:46 AM

Gore was her ugly, wicked stepsister

by Anonymousreply 171April 15, 2024 12:47 AM

Part of her appeal was that she looked like absolutely nobody else. E.g. the linked pic in R166 - the wide set eyes, the colouring and, especially in the sixties and early seventies, the huge hair.

She was thin and wore expensive clothes well. And as she rarely spoke in public, she was mysterious.

And for those of you who are obsessing about her teeth - she came from a generation and a class that didn’t prize blindingly white chiclets (see Trump, DJ).

by Anonymousreply 172April 15, 2024 12:55 AM

With dignity and grace, she led a nation in mourning Jack's death. I will always love Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 173April 15, 2024 12:58 AM

[quote]And as she rarely spoke in public

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 174April 15, 2024 12:59 AM

She was 33. That alone did it. It’s hard to overestimate what that meant at the time.

She was the same age as my mother. I was sitting in a crib, while my mother ironed, when the newsflash came over. My mom said she learned about her own ability to persevere by way of Jackie—it came in handy more than once.

by Anonymousreply 175April 15, 2024 1:06 AM

Hard to imagine in our 24/7 media culture there were once very famous people that you never heard speak or interviewed. Howard Hughes,Garbo, Jackie. As a gayling in the 80's recall asking Mum "What does Jackie O sound like?" She replied " A bad Marilyn Monroe"

by Anonymousreply 176April 15, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]"What does Jackie O sound like?" She replied " A bad Marilyn Monroe"

Your mom's a smart lady! I remember thinking the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 177April 15, 2024 1:28 AM

You both sound dumb—‘cause she didn’t sound at all like Monroe

by Anonymousreply 178April 15, 2024 1:54 AM

I could never tell these broads apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 15, 2024 1:58 AM

IMO, she smoked to keep her weight down. It was a sin to be fat. She was like Patsy Stone in that respect. I'm guessing (not joking) that she purged whatever ice cream she was eating in secret.

Her mother did seem like Kris Jenner or Kathy Hilton.

Her kids came out very well, compared to all of their first cousins. John Jr. was dumb and a risk-taker. However, neither of her children became drug addicts or embarrassed her.

LBJ did seem crude and, while JFK was alive, he probably felt like a relic. However, LBJ got the Civil Rights Act passed. Huge achievement.

by Anonymousreply 180April 15, 2024 2:39 AM

[quote]John Jr. was dumb and a risk-taker. However, neither of her children became drug addicts or embarrassed her.

Look at the list of girlfriends John-John had. It’s long and that embarrassed Jackie.

Also that he tried being a lawyer and failed at it. He was too pretty to be a public defender.

by Anonymousreply 181April 15, 2024 3:13 AM

When she was on assistance

by Anonymousreply 182April 15, 2024 3:16 AM

A better question would be “Was there NOT anything tacky about Jackie Kennedy?”.

by Anonymousreply 183April 15, 2024 3:59 AM

[quote] You both sound dumb—‘cause she didn’t sound at all like Monroe

She didn't sound like Monroe, but both women used a special affected breathy speaking voice when they knew the microphones were on that they did not use most of the time. They both tried to infantilize themselves to make themselves appear more seductive.

by Anonymousreply 184April 15, 2024 4:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 15, 2024 4:17 AM

She seemed kind of lazy when I frog-marched her round the White House.

by Anonymousreply 186April 15, 2024 4:22 AM

She had little money of her own and would have been dependent on Kennedy largesse if she had not remarried rich. Onassis was a slimeball, but what marriageable wealthy man in her circle wasn't? Besides, she and her sister Lee were lifelong rivals and Lee was having an affair with Onassis first after having slept with JFK. Marriage to Onassis satisfied her financial "needs" and allowed her to best Lee, who never forgave her.

by Anonymousreply 187April 15, 2024 4:53 AM

R181 he never tried to be a PD

by Anonymousreply 188April 15, 2024 5:00 AM

She married Ari because she wanted to protect her children and didn't care about what t did to her reputation. Brave.

by Anonymousreply 189April 15, 2024 5:03 AM

The clip in R185 shows R184 failed to make the case. Her accent is affected—as expected by a woman of her background—the voice itself is not.

by Anonymousreply 190April 15, 2024 5:04 AM

When you think of the three FLOTUS that preceded her, Jackie was a revelation.

Mamie, Bess and Eleanor.

by Anonymousreply 191April 15, 2024 5:13 AM

R190, Lee’s voice was very similar to Jackie’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 15, 2024 5:16 AM

Jackie and Lee in India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 15, 2024 5:29 AM

[quote] Jack referred to himself as "the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris."

And that night made an excursion to Madame Claude's establishment where he requested a Jackie lookalike.

The president wanted to bed La Dolce Vita actress Anouk Aimee who was a 'more seductive, sexual version' of First Lady Jackie Kennedy

But the actress turned down the encounter because she refused to sleep with a 'puerile warmonger'

Claude was forced to find a Jackie lookalike - a 23-year old Sorbonne grad - who wore the same white Givenchy dress the first lady would wear at Versailles

During the secret $2,000 tryst the president had reportedly complained to the model that his wife was more interested in fashion than sex

by Anonymousreply 194April 15, 2024 5:36 AM

Utter bullshit—mildly amusing, but utter and complete bullshit. ^

by Anonymousreply 195April 15, 2024 5:56 AM

R178 you are skating on thin ice calling anyone “dumb” when you are so stupid that you don’t appreciate the difference between “cause” and “because”.

by Anonymousreply 196April 15, 2024 6:03 AM

As dumb as you for failing to notice a contraction?

by Anonymousreply 197April 15, 2024 6:11 AM

Was there anything Jackie about Tacky Kennedy?

by Anonymousreply 198April 15, 2024 6:19 AM

Girls! Girls! You’re both insufferable twats!

by Anonymousreply 199April 15, 2024 6:20 AM

Jackie & Marilyn R199?

by Anonymousreply 200April 15, 2024 6:42 AM

Would she rather be called Jackie or Jacqueline?

by Anonymousreply 201April 15, 2024 6:45 AM

She was tacky in telling historian Theodore White that JFK’s time in the White House should be remembered as Camelot, a whopper of a myth if there ever was one.

Such bullshit and actually kind of cynical on her part.

by Anonymousreply 202April 15, 2024 7:05 AM

It was brilliant. And it worked.

by Anonymousreply 203April 15, 2024 7:09 AM

R202, It’s a hell of a lot better than being remembered for Watergate.

by Anonymousreply 204April 15, 2024 7:13 AM

That's one hell of a non sequitur, Pat. Or was it? Didn't, he beat you around?

by Anonymousreply 205April 15, 2024 7:24 AM

R77,

France is the only European country that has anything like a First Lady role, and it is unofficial. Carla Bruni was a model, so it made sense that she was a clothes horse. Other French First Ladies were more substantial.

by Anonymousreply 206April 15, 2024 7:47 AM

Contraction or not (which I did notice, R197) - “‘cause” or “‘cause” in place of “because” both denote a fool who is comfortable sounding like a toddler. At least s/he didn’t use “cos”, so I guess that there’s that.

Feel better now, R197?

by Anonymousreply 207April 15, 2024 8:26 AM

I hope that, at some point, you get the help that you need. You’re certainly not cut out for DL commentary—yikes.

by Anonymousreply 208April 15, 2024 10:08 AM

I’m surprised the parallels between Jackie and her sister and the Middleton sisters aren’t remarked on more.

by Anonymousreply 209April 15, 2024 10:30 AM

You’re hilarious, R208!

by Anonymousreply 210April 15, 2024 10:50 AM

Fwiw, Elizabeth Taylor was one of the few to defend Jackie when she married Ari Onassis.

"I think Jackie made an excellent choice. I know Ari. He's fun, intelligent and lots of fun to be around."

I actually believe that about Onassis. Of course, having a billion dollars or so can cause any person to be viewed in the best possible light.

by Anonymousreply 211April 15, 2024 10:58 AM

Not sure I quoted Taylor with her precise words, but I did capture her point. ^

by Anonymousreply 212April 15, 2024 11:00 AM

She wasn't a very attractive woman. Very plain looking.

by Anonymousreply 213April 15, 2024 11:07 AM

Always seeking assistance. When Caroline graduated from Columbia Law School, Jackie insisted the entire family be photographed in front of the Financial Aid board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 15, 2024 11:11 AM

The Middleton sisters are glorified WAGS.

by Anonymousreply 215April 15, 2024 11:25 AM

[quote]When Caroline graduated from Columbia Law School, Jackie insisted the entire family be photographed in front of the Financial Aid board.

It’s Caroline’s graduation, but everyone is looking at John-John.

by Anonymousreply 216April 15, 2024 12:21 PM

[quote]Was there anything tacky about Jackie Kennedy?

Yes. Her fingers after giving Frank Sinatra a hand job.

by Anonymousreply 217April 15, 2024 12:32 PM

R216 - except for the deplorable Schlossberg.

by Anonymousreply 218April 15, 2024 12:43 PM

[quote]Other French First Ladies were more substantial.

Really? In 1961?

by Anonymousreply 219April 15, 2024 1:27 PM

[Quote] Fwiw, Elizabeth Taylor was one of the few to defend Jackie

Sure, another one with feet bigger than most men’s.

by Anonymousreply 220April 15, 2024 1:28 PM

What was Elizabeth Taylor’s shoe size?

Elizabeth Taylor’s shoe size was 10 US (41 EU).

by Anonymousreply 221April 15, 2024 3:03 PM

R216 they are looking at Teddy

by Anonymousreply 222April 15, 2024 3:05 PM

What is Ed Schlossberg’s problem? I understand that he is something of a bully.

by Anonymousreply 223April 15, 2024 7:16 PM

R223, There was definite contention between JFK, Jr. and Ed Schlossberg, which unfortunately spilled over to the relationship with his sister Caroline.

After Jackie died, Ed began speaking for the family and making decisions, which pissed off JFK, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 224April 15, 2024 7:24 PM

Schlossberg has always been an arrogant prick.

by Anonymousreply 225April 15, 2024 7:58 PM

The name Schlossberg conjures images of Semitic BDF swagger.

by Anonymousreply 226April 15, 2024 8:24 PM

I am watching I Am Jackie O and my god Jackie's eyebrows move around a lot when she talks.

by Anonymousreply 227April 26, 2024 5:01 PM

Personally, I think being on assistance is as tacky as it gets.

- Peg Guggenheim

by Anonymousreply 228April 26, 2024 6:07 PM

Get pegged, Peg.

by Anonymousreply 229April 26, 2024 6:33 PM

She had ugly feet.

by Anonymousreply 230April 26, 2024 7:18 PM

After JFK died, the Kennedy family still controlled Jackie. Stephen Smith handled all the family finances and he allocated allowances and paid expenses as needed. But this meant he knew all her business, and she had no real financial f reedom. She married Onassis to get away from the Kennedys as much a from the violence in the USA that killed her husband and her brother in law. I think she deserved more than the $26 Million she got from Onassis's estate. Christina had her cornered, because she knew that Jackie and Ari were separated and that her father was planning to divorce Jackie. But there was no way Jackie was going to raise her kids in Greece or be the dutiful obedient Greek wife. He and Niarchos were notorious for slapping their wives around. With all his money and his cunning and his smarts, Ari was a peasant at heart and thought he could by his way into the international upper classes with the ultimate trophy wife. But he underestimated Jackie. Fortunately for her, his health failed him.His age and his debauchery caught up for him. Somewhere in some dark corner Maria Callas was sticking pins in his wax figure chanting magic spells. And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 231April 26, 2024 8:18 PM

You know aside from royal duties Catherine leads a very private life, and so does Pipa. And James. And their parents. they are not self promoters nor do they want us to know who their friends are and whether or not they hob nob in high society. I actually like the MIddletons and honestly feel Carole and Michael did a great job raising their kids.

by Anonymousreply 232April 26, 2024 8:22 PM

Stephen Smith used to complain about Ethel’s expenditures each month and would ask “Why can’t she use her Skakel money?”.

by Anonymousreply 233April 26, 2024 8:25 PM

R180- Another achievement- LBJ had President Kennedy rubbed out.

I was on a gay cruise years ago and this brainiac told me that LBJ and Edgar J Hoover had him rubbed out by the Mafia.

by Anonymousreply 234April 27, 2024 12:55 AM

R224, JFK Jr had a complete right to be pissed off if that was what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 235April 27, 2024 1:03 AM

Ethel’s Skakel money was tied up for years in equity in her father’s company, The Great Lakes Carbon Corporation. She wasn’t able to get access to it until the 80s, when she was able to sell it after the company started an employee stock purchase program.

Consequently, she was at the mercy of the trusts set up by Joe Kennedy, which primarily benefited his grandchildren, not his daughters in law. Even getting money for basic expenses from the Kennedys was a challenge for Ethel. At some point in the 70s, Hickory Hill’s roof had deteriorated so much there were holes in the roof. Ethel didn’t have money to buy a new roof, and Bobby’s mother, brother and sisters refused to help. Jackie ended up paying for the roof.

Jackie had a similar issue, but she was protected by RFK, who supplemented her income from the Kennedy trusts with an additional annuity of his own. Even so, Jackie had to beg the Kennedys for more money-even for basic expenses. For example, Jackie needed a new car and only got it after promising to campaign for RFK.

After RFK died, Jackie lost that protection, and had to deal with the nagging of both Steve Smith and Rose Kennedy. Rose called Jackie’s mother and told her that “my husband cannot continue to fund every wh of [Jackie’s].”

by Anonymousreply 236April 27, 2024 1:24 AM

*whim not wh

by Anonymousreply 237April 27, 2024 1:27 AM

Being on assistance is kinda tacky

by Anonymousreply 238April 27, 2024 1:29 AM

I seriously doubt there's anything to the theory that LBJ and Hoover had Kennedy killed by t heMafia. I have always believed it was a Mafia hit. Because Hoover had close contacts in the Mafia (whose existence he consistently denied) I believe Hoover heard rumors of an assassination attempt before it happened, and did nothing to follow up.

by Anonymousreply 239April 27, 2024 2:08 AM

If you ask me, it's pretty tacky to turn down a whole pantry's worth of parsely potatoes!

by Anonymousreply 240April 27, 2024 2:13 AM

That time she wanted to start a secret porn career and thought no one would recognize her. I do think her stage name of Lee Gashiwill was clever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241April 27, 2024 5:47 AM

She was never surrounded by "yes men." She did her independent thing. She smoked her cigarettes and just lived like a modern woman. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 242April 27, 2024 6:39 AM

I was at the opera tonight using my opera glasses. I wondered if Jackie had custom opera glasses due to the unusual width of her eyeballs since standard opera glasses would never fit her face.

by Anonymousreply 243April 27, 2024 7:04 AM

R243=Maria Callas

by Anonymousreply 244April 27, 2024 7:07 AM

R76 You must be talking about Ethel. Jackies’s two children turned out just fine.

by Anonymousreply 245April 27, 2024 7:32 AM

Ethel knows what to do with an index finger

by Anonymousreply 246April 27, 2024 7:40 AM

She smoked cigs and that's tacky.

by Anonymousreply 247April 27, 2024 8:33 AM

Yes and all they ever want is a blowjob with no reciprocation. Fuckem. Like they have magic cum? I avoid the bastards.

by Anonymousreply 248April 27, 2024 8:39 AM

Gore Vidal wrote that she had big, manly feets.

by Anonymousreply 249April 27, 2024 11:29 AM

My Catholic family had pictures of Pope John & Pope Paul, and JFK and Jackie. After she married Ari, Jackie's picture came down. My mom and aunt had the Jackie circa 1962 hair style, in old pics that I saw of them. I remember asking my mother why the cold shoulder to Jackie, and her telling me 'she can no longer receive Communion because she married a divorced man', lol.

by Anonymousreply 250April 27, 2024 12:06 PM

Interesting about the family money and the role it probably played in Jackie's exit from the Kennedy orbit. She was smart to make her alliances with Joe and the sons. She never really clicked with Rose (who tended to be off by herself, anyway) and made fun of the toothy Kennedy girls, as she supposedly called them. Steve Smith seems to have carved out a position of relative independence---the money management helped, I'm sure, but they kept a low profile most of the time, except when their son was charged with rape and Jean granted Gerry Adams a visa. I wonder how the other kids have done?

by Anonymousreply 251April 27, 2024 12:11 PM

R251, Steve Smith was a flagrant womanizer throughout his marriage to Jean, but in true Kennedy tradition she dealt with it.

Jean had a serious affair with Alan Jay Lerner and was set to leave Smith, but Lerner abruptly ended their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 252April 27, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote] I thought the wedding dress was tacky.

Only in that it was white.

by Anonymousreply 253April 27, 2024 12:28 PM

The dress she wore to marry Ari was a Valentino she had hanging in her closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 27, 2024 12:39 PM

Why did she need protection?

Why did the mafia kill JFK?

What did Ari look like young where he’d suck Turkish prison cock?

by Anonymousreply 255April 27, 2024 1:21 PM

My mom wore giant sunglasses her whole life and called them her Jackie Os. I wish I had kept them

by Anonymousreply 256April 27, 2024 3:11 PM

R254 - Her second marriage, and two kids later, and still with the fucking white!

by Anonymousreply 257April 27, 2024 3:20 PM

Well at.least the wedding was before Labor Day!

by Anonymousreply 258April 27, 2024 3:42 PM

R258, The wedding date was October 20, 1968.

by Anonymousreply 259April 27, 2024 3:48 PM

R257, Four kids, Arabella was stillborn and Patrick only lived for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 260April 27, 2024 3:49 PM

Why’d she have problems with her pregnancies? Was it idiopathic or was it from the STDs that JFK supposedly gave her? I’ve been told that she got the clap from him more than once. Plus, she smoked when she was pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 261April 27, 2024 3:52 PM

JFK, Jr. was born with the same lung/breathing problem that Patrick was later born with, but obviously JFK, Jr. survived.

by Anonymousreply 262April 27, 2024 4:15 PM

Onassis crudely told a friend the only thing Jackie ever gave him was “the Kennedy Clap.”

Jackie pushed that wedding date and wanted it to happen very quickly because the gossip columns were starting to pick up on what was going on. The wedding happened at the last minute-the passengers on a scheduled Olympic Airlines flight from JFK were bumped and put on a later flight for Jackie and her wedding party-her mother; children; Jean Smith; Pat and Sydney Lawford.

Speaking of Sydney Lawford-her sons are very attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 27, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote]Jackies’s two children turned out just fine.

One of them flew a plane into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 264April 27, 2024 4:24 PM

R263, When your grandfather is Peter Lawford, you definitely have an edge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 27, 2024 4:26 PM

And he did it upside down!

by Anonymousreply 266April 27, 2024 4:37 PM

R263 she and her brother Chris were two of the saner people in that generation of Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 267April 27, 2024 4:48 PM

R267, Not really. Chris admitted and wrote of his years of drug abuse. He dropped dead of a heart attack at 63.

by Anonymousreply 268April 27, 2024 4:57 PM

Sydney and Victoria Lawford both turned out well; both married long time boyfriends and have been married for over 35 years. The youngest Lawford daughter, Robin, ended up being her mother’s best friend and never married.

Jean’s 2 adopted children are very different from each other. Amanda got married , had children and has edited/written several books about the Kennedys. Her youngest daughter, Kym (the Asian one), married a Dublin bartender while her mother was the Irish ambassador. The last update I saw from her is this story from 2016-she got the name of a drag queen, Mr.Pussy, tattooed on her arm. I wonder what Caroline and Ethel thought of that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269April 27, 2024 5:25 PM

Her French.

by Anonymousreply 270April 27, 2024 5:26 PM

Jean Kennedy Smith gave birth to this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 27, 2024 5:47 PM

Stephen Smith Jr is the creepiest looking man. He’s gay, right-he’s over 60 and never married. Even his rapist brother settled down.

by Anonymousreply 272April 27, 2024 5:51 PM

Stevie looks trans, but I once read something written by a guy who had sex with him a couple of times and said he's very closeted. (This was along time ago--25 years?)

by Anonymousreply 273April 27, 2024 6:05 PM

JFK Senior's Attorney General was his brother, Robert F. Kennedy. RFK publicly declared war on the Mafia. That is why people speculate that the Mafia was behind the JFK assassination.

by Anonymousreply 274April 27, 2024 6:08 PM

Appending to R273 The guy also said the sex was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 275April 27, 2024 6:10 PM

R231, $26 million in mid-‘70s dollars is the equivalent of over $150 million today.

by Anonymousreply 276April 27, 2024 6:12 PM

[quote] She married Onassis to get away from the Kennedys as much a from the violence in the USA

The violent USA being a pro-Castro communist and a Jew hating Palestinian.

by Anonymousreply 277April 27, 2024 6:20 PM

[quote] RFK publicly declared war on the Mafia.

Just certain parts of the Mafia such as Carlos Marcello's New Orleans family. New York's Five Families and Chicago were a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 278April 27, 2024 6:24 PM

From what I recall, in various gossip sites, etc. back then, Maria Callas was PISSED OFF when Ari married Jackie because he was still with her! And so was Lee Radziwill because she had her eye on Ari, Jackie knew t hat, and she was the one who got him to invite Jackie to go on a cruise after he baby, Patrick died. So Tacky Jackie made moves that were really a bitch to those two women both of whom get stabbed in the back. Ari had a present for Lee, but he decided to give it to Jackie because it was too expensive for just Lee. Rubies.

by Anonymousreply 279April 27, 2024 6:25 PM

Frank Dropped Names Langella wrote a little about observing the Mellon's unlimited wealth. Bunny visited an artists studio and purchased all of his artwork in his studio. The artist was Mark Rothko.

by Anonymousreply 280April 27, 2024 6:31 PM

R280 people who are rich like that disgust me. I want to be them.

by Anonymousreply 281April 27, 2024 7:21 PM

I went to school with "Butchie " and Muffy, but I never knew a Bunny...

by Anonymousreply 282April 27, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote]Jackies’s two children turned out just fine.

[quote]One of them flew a plane into the ocean.

With his wife and sister-in-law on board.

by Anonymousreply 283April 28, 2024 12:47 AM

I died in a plane crash first!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284April 28, 2024 2:21 AM

Excuse me, R284?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285April 28, 2024 2:37 AM

Kick, Jack’s favorite sister, was the next Kennedy to die in a plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 286April 28, 2024 3:29 AM

For what it’s worth, my parents died in a plane crash in ‘55.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287April 28, 2024 3:39 AM

waz ts b prez r sumthang

by Anonymousreply 288April 28, 2024 3:56 AM

R274 that makes no sense…RFK was a senate aide in the 50s, investigating racketeering —if the Mafia were pissed then why would they wait until JfK was elected…either or both could have been knocked off before being elected to higher office.

You’re just repeating unverified bullshit from third hand 60s sources. Do better instead of being a bargain basement Oliver Stone.

by Anonymousreply 289April 28, 2024 4:04 AM

[quote] if the Mafia were pissed then why would they wait until JfK was elected

Syndicate money bought the West Virginia primary for Jack cheating Humphrey out of the probable nomination. Since the partnership with Lucky Luciano the Kennedys were tight with the mob.

by Anonymousreply 290April 28, 2024 4:36 AM

Nothing moi did was 'tacky". That's why you déclassé antediluvian queens are still nattering about me thirty years after I kicked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291April 28, 2024 5:33 AM

Some old billionaire wants to marry me and I'll only have to fuck him once or twice a month, otherwise I can do whatever the hell I want? Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 292April 28, 2024 5:54 AM

Jackie O-face

by Anonymousreply 293April 28, 2024 7:13 PM

What r292 wrote.

Eat your hearts out, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294April 28, 2024 7:48 PM

Did Jackie leave Onassis off her tombstone since she's buried at Arlington with JFK?

by Anonymousreply 295April 29, 2024 3:15 PM

No, r295.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 29, 2024 3:17 PM

Nope. It reads "Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis 1929 - 1994"

by Anonymousreply 297April 29, 2024 3:17 PM

If I remember correctly, as part of the $26 million settlement, Jackie had to keep using the Onassjs name. Christina made her lawyers put that stipulation in the settlement.

by Anonymousreply 298April 29, 2024 3:49 PM

R290 …which totally contradicts the idea of a mob hit …so, whats is your point?

by Anonymousreply 299April 29, 2024 3:51 PM

R298

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300April 29, 2024 4:27 PM

Her pancakes Barbara tits were kind of trashy.

by Anonymousreply 301April 29, 2024 4:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!