Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Entertainment anchor Steve Kmetko,tells his story....

Steve Kmetko,talks about being OUT at E!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2024 8:27 PM

Didn't realize he'd been gone that long. Not that I missed him.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2024 12:17 PM

He cannot stand being interviewed and Amy is a terrible interviewer. I lasted 18 minutes but then I had to give up.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2024 12:18 PM

Does she ever shut up?

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2024 12:24 PM

I had a huge crush on Steve. Always wondered why he disappeared. Now we know.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2024 12:26 PM

He was fired for being gay? In that industry?

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2024 12:30 PM

Sounds like he asked his readers to write letters to E! to keep his job, which was a no-no.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2024 12:31 PM

Why did he get fired? I can't bare to sit through this podcast.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2024 12:37 PM

Did Steve ask Amy why she hasn't had an acting job since the 90s?

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2024 12:40 PM

Who, who, and what's an E!?

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2024 12:41 PM

I loved Kmetko. He was so hot. In his final year/s on E! he loosened up considerably and showed he had a great personality.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2024 12:59 PM

I šŸ‘€what you did there^

Loosened up?!šŸ˜œ

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2024 1:05 PM

I couldn't get thru this either / wiki link below fills in a bit

Puzzled why he couldn't transition into something /

really more appealing than so many others

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2024 1:22 PM

Drunk and working in the local Apple Store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2024 1:36 PM

Always liked him and he was so handsome. Itā€™s a hard realization that, unless you work for yourself, you only have so much control over your career. I wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2024 2:46 PM

Hard to get through because of the many interruptions. But he was a blackout drunk. That was part of the problem. After 9/11 there was a recession, the recession and his substance abuse appear to be responsible for his career setback.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2024 3:00 PM

Bottom line... Is he Polish? Hung with a thick kielbasa? Tell me!!

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2024 3:19 PM

Isn't the bigger question WHET Jules Asner?

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2024 3:23 PM

He really was hot back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2024 3:24 PM

I had such a crush on him back then. He's still a good looking guy - just needs to get back in to shape and lose the alcohol fat.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2024 3:26 PM

R17 - She married Ed and is living off his estate now.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2024 3:29 PM

He must have had terrible representation.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2024 3:36 PM

I love how he just casually outs Ann Curry.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2024 3:48 PM

Yasbeck doesnā€™t seem to understand the first rule of being a good interviewer which is to let the guest talk. Her constant interruptions made me quit watching.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2024 3:50 PM

His her show some sort of local cable access thing?

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2024 4:22 PM

He's the gay Edgar R. Murrow!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2024 4:24 PM

His body was sick back in the day. He seemed so uptight though. Met him more than once and much more personable in person than on screen. Quite a big dick from what I heard.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2024 5:13 PM

Kmetko and MSNBC Thomas Roberts had a very similar on air quality.

Any Thomas Roberts updates?? The two of 'em should start a gay travel show for seniors.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2024 6:00 PM

Thomas Roberts is gorgeous and he and his husband have been married for 23 years. Their wedding was officiated by Gavin Newsom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2024 6:14 PM

R17 according to google.com Jules Asner is a screenwriter. I knew she married Steven Soderbergh.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2024 6:34 PM

Iā€™m not sure Thomas Roberts and his partner are still together. They havenā€™t been pictured together in quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2024 6:39 PM

I had a co-worker back in the '80s who claimed that she was a friend of Steve Kmetko. She wanted to hook me up with him. Said he had a big dick. Unfortunately, I demurred.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2024 7:21 PM

He asked for too much money during the recession and had a pushy agent who did not follow through

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2024 8:01 PM

R16. Kmetko is a Ukrainian name.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2024 9:25 PM

But if he's a bottom, R31, you never would have seen it anyway. His ass would have been up in the air while he murmured, "I want to have your baby."

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2024 11:50 PM

he looks ok for 71 , needs to hit the gym and lose a few though

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2024 11:59 PM

A 71-year-old no longer regularly in the public eye "needs to hit the gym"?

Why?

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2024 12:05 AM

No wonder John Ritter killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2024 12:09 AM

Steve is doing the same podcast as interviewer. Here he is interviewing Jerry Oā€™Connell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2024 12:11 AM

Maybe I missed it, but didnā€™t see any ā€œhot Steveā€ photos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2024 12:17 AM

Did you not understand that it is his podcast, but he asked to switch roles for an episode and invited Amy to play inquisitor?

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2024 12:19 AM

oh my gahd sheā€™s old now

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2024 12:21 AM

Omg Steve aged like crap. But he's still lovable so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2024 12:34 AM

R40: whatever. She's a terrible review.

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2024 12:44 AM

YouTube commenters agreeā€¦..STFU fraucunt!!

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2024 12:48 AM

People who overtalk others irritate. Please. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2024 12:53 AM

Deadline has a bit from Kmetko interviewing Yasbeck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2024 1:37 AM

Hot Steve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2024 2:13 AM

Back in the dark ages of the World Wide Web I loved his weekly online chat in which he never really revealed any good gossipā€”but he had a way of reeling people into his cutesy blind item schtick.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2024 1:29 PM

He really has turned into an unrecognizable old man.

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2024 2:14 PM

When you see him with Eric Roberts, I guess Roberts is a bit more recognizable but not by much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2024 4:10 PM

There has got to be more to this story of why he got fired AND why he couldn't get another job.

The idea that he was too closely associated with E! sounds like complete rubbish. If anything another channel would want to use that to steal E!'s audience to build their own.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2024 5:02 PM

R51 I agree, you don't go from being one of the top entertainment reporters to being so radioactive you can't even work in the industry overnight. There was never any public controversies so it all had to happen behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2024 5:19 PM

Does this interview out John Ritter

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2024 5:38 PM

At 22:00

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote]There was never any public controversies so it all had to happen behind the scenes.

Yeah, even me-too controversies all became public - a la Spacey.

It's gotta be something specific that everyone involved is willing to keep it quiet.

The only situation that might even come close is if he hooked up with someone's partner, and that partner took revenge. The person would have had to be so powerful that no one would want to piss them off for someone as low on the totem pole as Kmetko. In turn, that type of situation would also be kept quiet by everyone involved. Perhaps throw in closet homo action, and you've got yourself crime and punishment that folks want to keep quiet.

Back in 2002, the big power players were folks like Spielberg or Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2024 5:58 PM

The real T is Kmetko thought he was E and his agent was asking for 1 million from a network that barely paid on-air talent 100K. He used the fan site to get his fans to write E how much they wanted him and loved him on E. This is early Internet where fan outrage was not a thing. He tried to make it a thing and E did not respond well. It got him a rep as difficult. No one would hire him.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2024 6:10 PM

^ ā€”

This has been another edition of ā€¦Occamā€™s Razor.

We now return control of your television set to you.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2024 6:47 PM

Wait, they fired him and outed him for being gay? I can't be bothered to listen to that shit.

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2024 6:59 PM

R56 I believe your story but it doesn't fully explain why he became persona non grata among entertainment shows.

If his over the top negotiations didn't work out at E, I don't think he'd try that at all the other outlets and if he was at the end of his rope I'm sure he'd take less than what he was paid at E because he was desperate.

The only way it works is if it's combined with other factors like being known as a cutthroat bitch or fucking with the wrong person in power.

He had a gravitas then that others would have needed time to build which is why I can't see him being completely shut out in one fell swoop.

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2024 7:03 PM

R53. Joking, right?

by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2024 7:24 PM

Heā€™s a very nice guy who made a mistake while negotiating a contract. We had mutual friends in LA in the late 80s when he worked for CBS- one in particular who he worked with who was a serious alcoholic, now deceased from the drinking. Just how much his substance abuse hurt his career is hard to know. He had a long relationship with Greg Louganis.

Awful interview- sheā€™s as bad as his old beard Ann Curry doing all the talking. But he nevertheless comes off as very honest and brave, a bit reserved. I remember him as very handsome, very nice, and fun- and yes we partied. I was in a relationship with a guy (also with substance abuse issues) who was at least as good looking as Steve. Those were the days. Anyway- Steve was nice to me- come to think of it we saw a bit of him in NYC as well as LA- came over to our apt.

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2024 8:13 PM

Anyone have an ID on Steve's sweater? I want it.

by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2024 9:07 PM

Was he ever seen in the vicinity of a Days Inn? Or in Glendale or thereabouts?

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2024 9:14 PM

R62 the Big & Tall section of Macyā€™s Beverly Center

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2024 9:15 PM

Ann Curry, the former Today Show anchor, is a lesbian? Sheā€™s been married to the same guy for 30+ years and they have a couple of kids. Iā€™m sure itā€™s possible sheā€™s gay, but sheā€™s going to a lot of trouble to hide it.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2024 9:20 PM

Yes to above ^^^ another shoe is going to drop here.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2024 12:33 AM

Damn, Steve Kmetko got puffy and fat.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2024 1:18 AM

Steve Kmetko was the best there ever was doing what he did in the entertainment business.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2024 1:51 AM

I never said he was not talented, but you get a reputation for being difficult in a tiny business, it is hard to get a job.

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2024 1:54 AM

[quote]Steve Kmetko was the best there ever was doing what he did in the entertainment business.

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote]There has got to be more to this story of why he got fired AND why he couldn't get another job.

He was an out Queer, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2024 2:10 AM

[quote] There has got to be more to this story

There is. He openly called John Henson, "Spot".

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2024 3:37 AM

Steve was one of the most talented reporters ever. He also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout his life. Despite that, he had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with his struggles and he theirs.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2024 3:43 AM

[quote] Damn, Steve Kmetko got puffy and fat.

And OLD! she got so OLD!

by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2024 4:12 AM

After being fired and moving back home to Chicago to take care of elderly parents, Steve Kmetko had quite a bout with drinking on his spiral downward. Unable to get a broadcasting job, he ended up working at a Apple Store selling iPhone and iPads.

That must have been quite a comedown when people recognized him.

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2024 4:14 AM

E! knew Kmetko was gay. However, it was contract renegotiation time. Kmetko's agent went to the E!/CBS bosses and asked for $1 million, which even Kmetko readily admitted was too much. Too bad he didn't try and stop his agent for putting such a financial figure on the line.

The bosses would not go along with $1 million and went after Kmetko on any excuse they could find. Kmetko was backed into a corner in a losing situation. Damn, what a fall from grace when he would have been willing to take less money.

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2024 4:19 AM

It's not like there were lots of openings for an entertainment "reporter" at that time. He would have had to pivot to something else and he probably lacked the representation or personal skills for that. He could have done voice work, written for an entertainment rag, etc. but those would have paid less. he went back to Chicago when local media was dying, so he would have had limited opportunity there and he wasn't an actor, so the theater scene wouldn't have been an option. Maybe he could have done some sort of pr, but being a glorified greeter probably doesn't pay on a regular basis.

The Apple store itself was not necessarily a great pick---if he had been stocking shelves at Jewel, he at least would have been in a union and had benefits. His father had been some sort of fundie/evangelical pastor---very odd for a Ukrainian, so I'm sure it was no picnic dealing with the parents.

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2024 11:24 AM

Good God, Kmetko and Yasbeck are both practically unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2024 11:38 AM

Literally!

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2024 11:48 AM

Aw forgot about him. Loved him as a gayling.

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2024 11:54 AM

They desperately need new chairs for that podcast. Yasbeck is fine in her chair, but that chair is far too small for Kmetko. He looks like he's sitting right on the edge of the seat. He wouldn't look nearly as fat in a bigger chair.

by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2024 12:14 PM

Wow, I grew up a few miles from Steve and never knew it. I wish I knew where to find the boys and the booze when it counted ā˜¹ļø

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2024 12:34 PM

Is Muriel accepting applications?

by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2024 2:55 PM

Something about all this doesn't pass the smell test. A guy like Steve with looks and experience shouldn't have ended up drinking himself into a stupor in his mom's basement. He crossed somebody who made sure he'd never eat lunch in this town again šŸ˜

by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2024 3:01 PM

R77 Entertainment Tonight or The Today Show could have picked him up

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2024 3:41 PM

R84, then how do you explain substance abuse among all manner of ā€œsuccessfulā€ people. I knew Steve and some of his colleagues, one who worked with him on a daily basis at CBS. That guy is dead, from alcoholism despite a very successful career. Steve has survived.

by Anonymousreply 86April 15, 2024 4:11 PM

KCBS? Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 87April 15, 2024 4:41 PM

r85 there were very few Ancho jobs in Entertainment that were free at the time. KTLA had Sam, KCBS had Dorothy Lucy, John and Mary ruled ET. Kmetko was on par with them as far as Q ratings so putting him in a solt would threaten any talent they already had. At the time the morning shows were just that. Not what they are now an 3-5 hours of morning tv. He could have gotten a syndicated talkshow but again at the time it was Geraldo, Montel, Ricky, Rolanda. Steve was not a sensational guy who could lead a talk show about I dated my ex babysitter and now I have aids

by Anonymousreply 88April 15, 2024 4:54 PM

He could clean up a bit and look pretty great, but the stroke does show a bit. Sounds like he just had a lot of wrong place wrong time going on after he got let go from E, and it jus and it just snowballed.

I genuinely like him ā€” always have ā€” and I hope he can get a few more good innings. At face value, he deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 89April 15, 2024 5:34 PM

When he was still living in LA, he came home from work one day to find his visiting sister had drowned in his swimming pool. I imagine that the drinking and drugging had a lot to do with the trauma and grief from that as well as all the other issues.

by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2024 6:06 PM

Iā€™m really enjoying his podcast. While asking questions of his guests, he reveals a lot about himself.

I think they scheduled the Yasbeck piece (they are clearly close) after realizing he needed to unburden himself. (In one ep with Peri Gilpin, he went into a lot of his mess.)

Seems like a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2024 6:21 PM

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the Days Inn - Glendale.

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2024 6:28 PM

Steve can be the first anchor for our DataLounge Public Acces Channel.

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2024 7:13 PM

Kmetko's show is surprisingly good for aughties nostalgia. I'm midstream with Jillian and it's good, as was Peri Gilpin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] Back in the dark ages of the World Wide Web I loved his weekly online chat in which he never really revealed any good gossipā€”but he had a way of reeling people into his cutesy blind item schtick.

That wasn't Steve Kmetko. That was Ted Casalabancas. But, yes, his weekly "Tea with Ted" chat was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2024 5:39 PM

I wonder if Bruce (Ted) and Steve ever hooked up?

by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2024 8:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!