Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Boston Marathon

Monday is Patriots' Day and Boston is gearing up for the 128th running of the Boston Marathon—the world's oldest annual long-distance race.

30,000 participants are arriving in Boston from 129 countries and all 50 states—many to fulfill a personal goal and many to raise money for charity. This historic event brings such an exciting energy to Boston and embodies the spirit of community that defines our beloved city.

This year's race occurs on the same day as One Boston Day—a day set aside to honor the "resiliency, generosity, and strength demonstrated by the people of Boston and those around the world in response to the tragedy of April 15, 2013."

Is anyone on DL running?

Who has run the marathon in the past?

Marathon Monday is such a wonderful day in Boston!

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2024 1:41 PM

Hi, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2024 10:50 PM

I once sucked off a guy whose brother knew someone who ran the Boston Marathon. That's as close as I've come (...er pun not quite intended) to running it myself.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2024 11:00 PM

Hello, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2024 11:01 PM

I was riveted by the horror and drama of the bombing and decided I would run the following year. Then I looked up the qualifying times.

I’ll never do it but I love that others do.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2024 11:03 PM

Yes, R4, it was a horrible time in the city.

During the manhunt the streets were patrolled by members of the National Guard carrying rifles. On certain streets, residents were required to show identification when outside.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2024 11:07 PM

My father’s funeral was the day of the bombing so I was in Massachusetts. I was exhausted and took a nap and woke up to alll the news of the bombing.

It was not a happy day.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2024 11:15 PM

You don’t need to see his identification.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2024 11:15 PM

I think you should run in it, Greg! Just don't eat prunes the day before!

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2024 11:18 PM

The bombing was horrific. At one point, after all of the people were gone, one of the Boston channels showed a video from a guy who lived high up over where the bomb went off. It was raw video and there was a lot of blood in one spot and I knew there were dead people since no one survives that much blood loss. Deaths had not been reported up to that point but came later. I don't think they should have aired that.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2024 11:25 PM

[quote] I think you should run in it, Greg! Just don't eat prunes the day before!

I know many people who have run the marathon, but I cannot even imagine it.

I really admire long distance runners.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2024 11:41 PM

I’d just flown in after a 12 hour flight. The tv cameras overhead in Immigration Arrivals at JFK were showing it on the news. Two years earlier they were showing the tsunami in Japan. It’s weird how much breaking news can happen when you’re out of contact on a long flight. In 2020, it was Trump’s press conference announcing he was shutting down overseas flights.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2024 12:50 AM

Today is lots of carbo-loading going on in Boston today!

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2024 1:55 PM

Patriot's Day in Boston is awesome. hi from Arlington, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2024 1:59 PM

Hi, R13!

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2024 2:08 PM

Will Wrinkle be running?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2024 5:04 PM

I don’t think Wrinkle qualified, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2024 9:17 PM

I guess I’ll always associate the marathon with the terrorism, which is sad, but then again I associate Boston with the Strangler. Have you ever seen ‘The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner’? 🏃‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2024 9:24 PM

Thee is no race official who would disallow Wrinkle. Not today, not ever!

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2024 9:42 PM

I'll never forget the days following when we were told to shelter in place -- essentially, do not go outside for three days. To understand how central the Marathon is to Boston you can study the shock at the bombing. The three who died had heartbreaking stories, but it affected everyone on an elemental level. I still miss Boston and that marathon. It always used to be such fun.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2024 9:43 PM

We grew up not far from the Marathon so every year the whole family would walk down and take our places on the bridge at the town line. For the most part it was pretty dull, as little kids we were more excited by the Boston news trucks going by, broadcasting live. One year my dad's friend Richard Mount from work needed a cheering section, so my brothers and sister and I were down there holding huge signs that said "Go Dick! "Dick Mount"! "Go Dick Go!" "Yay Dick Mount!" like a crew of midget perverts. In front of the whole neighborhood and all those Boston news trucks. I'm still mortified.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 9:48 PM

I remember seeing pictures of the bombing on weird online forums and that one older woman who died was still alive when she saw that her legs were missing. It was a horrible sight. Rest in Peace.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 9:49 PM

R19, everything you say is true.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2024 9:51 PM

It's been a dream top run the Boston but my marathon times are way to slow to qualify. But today I discovered that they have a 5k! Next year I'll be there...

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote] Next year I'll be there...

Have you been here before?

You will love it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 12:22 PM

I am reluctant to admit (because no one on DL will believe me) that I have run 20 marathons, including one Boston (and yes, motherfuckers, I earned my place though a qualifying time).

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2024 1:18 PM

Hi, R25, of course I believe you.

Why do people want to believe that anything good or impressive that someone says is a work of fiction.

Even ordinary things like to adoption of two kittens turns into a palaver.

I think that there are some people out here who have lives that are not enviable who deal with their lack of good fortune by trying to rain on the parades of others.

Alas.

Anyway, 20 marathons! Very impressive. As I said earlier, I admire long-distance runners. Running a marathon shows commitment, discipline, and amazing athleticism.

Good job!

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2024 1:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!