Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF are we feeding kids these days?

I was just checking out a news story about 2 runaway 14 yo twins found and the though the faces were blurred out the two of them had huge tits and were "roomy through the hips" and a good 135 lbs. They looked like 35 year olds who'd popped out few kids out.

When I was14 the girls weighed about 75 to 80 and were quite slim and petite. Hell, us guys were too.

Growth hormones?

by Anonymousreply 55April 15, 2024 4:08 PM

You think 135 pounds is "huge"?

I mean, I agree that kids today are enormous, but they weigh considerably more than 135 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2024 3:25 PM

I was being nice R1. My first thought was 150 at least but my mind boggled at a 14 yo weighing that much. They had huge asses and thighs.

Not happy being found either. They were partying, doing drugs, etc and not going to school.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2024 3:29 PM

OP, I have noticed this as well. Especially the young girls with big boobs. This was not something obvious when I was growing up. Sure, there would be a small handful in school but these days there are eye-poppers everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2024 3:34 PM

OP? Probably more like 170-180.

You may laugh, but I can generally guess a woman's weight +/- 2 or 3 pounds. Of course, I generally lie to them (less than I think it is) unless they tell me they [bold]really[/bold] want to know what I think.

This is what happens when you spend your entire life checking out women's bodies.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2024 4:02 PM

There's a real problem with early onset puberty linked to the growth hormones and other shit that is added to foods especially to poultry, and beef and pork. There's a link between the two. So do not eat GMO foods and do not eat meat and poultry that has hormones. There's a reason why buying organic, grass fed meat is better.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2024 4:03 PM

I think in HS we had a few "fat" kids but they were really only plump compared to today's teens.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2024 4:08 PM

Come to Louisiana where we have little kids so fat they already have type two diabetes.

Doesn't obesity caused early puberty too?

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2024 4:13 PM

Lead and cadmium, among other things. What a shithole country this is.

"Consumer Reports said it found high levels of sodium in Lunchables, detected lead and cadmium in tests and also observed the presence of phthalates, which can impact reproductive health and the human hormonal system."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2024 4:20 PM

Nothing trashier than a kid with tits.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2024 4:24 PM

I knew a girl in 6th grade that had DD tits. She was Italian and Polish, so maybe that had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2024 4:28 PM

It’s a good question, OP. My niece is 12 and her diet, while pretty good, isn’t perfect. She eats chips, some sweets, pizza, etc. normal kids stuff. She gets exercise but isn’t into sports.

She is skinny as a rail, but you do see kids out and about who are her age but already severely overweight. I can’t imagine what they are eating.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2024 4:32 PM

Chicks with big tits and guys with big dicks are more likely to be selected for breeding.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2024 4:33 PM

A lot of poor folks are obese and, yes, young folks are diabetic and colo-rectal cancer is on the rise among young people.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2024 4:34 PM

Yeah, I’m wondering about the zip code in which OP resided.

Many 80s preteens were giants or obese where I lived.

I, for one, was called “Tits” because dipshits with lead-poisoning who live under power lines are so original.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2024 4:41 PM

You can't saturate all kinds of food with growth hormones and other chemicals and not expect that to translate to physical consequences, especially in emerging generations. The FDA and similar government organizations are not allies to the population, only to profit-seeking corporate entities.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2024 4:44 PM

Too much soy.

Soy is in EVERYTHING now, even in foods one normally wouldn't think ever would've had it. Meats, cooking oils, coffee creamer, most processed foodstuffs, candy, chips, etc.

About 15 years ago my Vietnamese American coworker went back to her hometown for the first time since 1975. When she returned she told me she was absolutely gobsmacked to see how many of the boys/young men were so... [italic]soft,[/italic] with actual breasts, thighs, and hips. She said Vietnam is essentially forced to accept produce, meats, and other comestibles from China, where's there's never even an attempt to regulate the shit they grow and process for foreign buyers. That because the North Vietnamese won the war Vietnam had become essentially a client state of China. Everything has soy in it.

To paraphrase that commercial for hot sauce, "They put that shit in everything."

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2024 4:51 PM

While I obviously agree that childhood obesity is out of control presently, I highly doubt 14-year old girls were ever 70-80 lbs when you were young, OP, unless there was some kind of famine situation. Girls generally get their periods between 12-15, and reach their full height and shoe size by the 7th/8th grade. Unless these twins are 5'1", 135 lbs is a perfectly healthy weight for any girl/woman 5'4"-5'8". Especially if they're larger boned (can be measured by shoulder and wrist width). My twin sister was about 5'6" or 5'7" in the 8th grade when she was 14, was about that weight, and wore 1-3 in junior girls' sizes.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2024 5:15 PM

Most parents don’t cook or have sit down meals at home. They eat fast food all day, every day with plenty of sugary energy drinks and snacks in between “meals”.

Kids don’t play outside anymore. Everything is social media or video games.

Convenient foods are full of junk and preservatives.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2024 5:41 PM

R14, not sure who you are addressing but I went to HS in No Virginia between 1978-1982. I do believe something happened during this time to our food supply. For sure portion sizes went up. We'd sneak out for lunch and go to McDonald's. I remember getting a burger, fries and coke for .99. They had one size and probably what would be a child's portion today. Tasted better too.

I think I skimmed through my growing years before the fatness became the norm.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2024 5:50 PM

R17 not sure how tall they were but they had the bodies of much older women. No 14 yo should look like that. The guys they were caught with probably thought they were at least in their twenties for all we know.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2024 5:53 PM

Girls are much earlier in puberty, why do people talk out their ass? R17 is a cunt bitch from hell, go bleed bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2024 5:56 PM

Go to an upscale town, kids still look pretty normal.

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2024 5:58 PM

I never thought about soy but it makes sense. I know they switched out sugar for HFCS. I think the obesity is a perfect storm of issues.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2024 5:59 PM

I don't know what high school you live by, OP but these kids look normal for today's youth. They are bigger and taller than we were at their age. It's just evolution. Our generation was bigger and taller than people in the 20s and 30s.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2024 6:01 PM

OP, have the Nurse show you how to post a link on the computer in the community lounge.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2024 6:02 PM

R24, sorry I disagree. They are obese but I also realize that Americans idea of normal is skewed. Whenever I travel outside the US I'm shocked at how fat everyone is when I come back. There's a reason we are known world over as fatties.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2024 6:11 PM

Why R25?

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2024 6:11 PM

R21 I didn't say girls began puberty between 12-15, psycho. I said that's when they generally start their period. Puberty begins years before. Take your fucking meds.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2024 6:31 PM

Years before? Really? Exactly when [italic]does[/italic] puberty begin for girls, genius?

Unless you're an MD (or DO, for VOTN), if you have a penis, you have no business answering this question.

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2024 10:58 PM

R29 If a girl gets her first period around 14-15, she probably started the early signs of puberty around 11 or 12 (starting to sprout pubic hair, leg hair darkening, height shooting up, face getting greasier, needing a training bra). I have a penis, but I also have a twin sister and had three other sisters as well.

Jesus, you're disturbingly aggressive about this topic.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2024 12:05 AM

They eat a lot of crap.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2024 12:13 AM

Whenever I see Alfred Hitchcock I remember that his schtick was being a Great Big Fatty Fat Person, but when I go to the supermarket I regularly see people much fatter than he was (and wearing skintight "athleisure," but that's another societal problem).

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2024 12:16 AM

Why?

Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2024 12:18 AM

I got my period at age 9. When I graduated high school I weighed 88 lbs. Early puberty didn’t make me fat.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2024 1:10 AM

How tall were you, R34? A healthy weight for even a woman of 5 feet tall is 100lbs. 88 lbs is severely underweight.

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2024 1:14 AM

I have honk that today’s foods do contain different hormones and that younger people are consuming more hormone-containing health supplements; but I think these body types also existed in previous generations. However especially female clothing including for younger girls, more than ever, features form-fitting stretch and tight jeans and boobs-emphasizing fashions that make everything so exposed and ridiculously overdone.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2024 1:42 AM

^I have a feeling that today’s…” [sorry!].

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2024 1:44 AM

While changing diets is a huge factor, I think people underestimate the importance of R18’s observation (that kids today are way more sedentary than we were as children).

I was never an athletic kid, but I was always active (out running around, on my bicycle, whatever). We never had arranged playdates; the word didn’t even exist. Our parents were just constantly telling us: Go out! Go outside!

And I knew very few kids with supervised, organized activities.

I’m sure the impact of kids sitting in front of their screens seemingly 24/7 can’t be good for their bodies. Plus a lot of these kids are lazy af. I see them boarding the bus or the train after school just to go one or two stops, all the while stuffing their faces with Doritos and Orange Crush.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2024 1:53 AM

And I agree with R26 that this is not mere evolution. He’s right that you don’t see all of these obese and/or prematurely overdeveloped children in other countries. Sure, there are countries with similar problems. But not to this degree. And in many countries I’ve traveled in the teenagers still look like teenagers. And they’re slim.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2024 1:56 AM

People are now fat, observed OP sagely.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2024 1:59 AM

I'm sure the hormones in the meats of our diet and the hyper processed foods are the two primary reasons for how large we get at such a young age.

I remember when I was 18 and registering at college I also had to take a physical. I recall my height was 5'10", and my weight was 120. That was in 1979 and almost everyone was similarly thin. The few overweight people at my freshman class were the exception.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2024 2:05 AM

My sister was 5 ft and weighed 80 lbs in HS. She was not too skinny either. In fact she had tons of guys chasing her. She was tiny but had an hour glass figure.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2024 2:14 AM

R30? You still didn't identify yourself or tell us why you're an expert, i.e., why we should give any credence at all to your presented information.

Go ahead...I'll wait..

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2024 2:46 AM

I was 5'7" and a c cup by fifth grade. And then I got several growth spurts. I think I wasn't an anomaly exactly but it is becoming more common than when I was a kid (in the 70s). I started my period when I was 9,I wonder if it's a side effect of early menses now.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2024 3:06 AM

OP, do you have have a particular picture of the twins you're referencing that makes them look like 35-year old women, because the pictures that come up on a google search certainly do not portray that. While they look slightly overweight, they absolutely still look like 14-year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2024 3:55 AM

How much do yall weigh?

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2024 3:56 AM

R44 rescue-chic, I'm honestly not sure one has anything to do with the other. I'm the guy with the twin sister who's posted above. I'm now 6'3" and she's nearly 5'8". She got her period the summer before we were high school freshman and she was around 5'7" at the time. But she was that tall from the time we were in the 6th grade. Basically, I don't think there's ever been any evidence (nor has anyone ever suggested there was) that there's a connection in girls between precocious puberty and height/weight. One just doesn't really have much to do with the other. I remember there being a few girls in our 3rd and 4th grade classes that got their periods freakishly early, and their weight and height weren't any different than the girls that didn't get their period until high school. Kids are fatter now, but I don't think it has anything to do with earlier puberty, but just because EVERYONE is fatter now.

It's just OP suggesting that 135 lbs is somehow shockingly overweight for a post-pubescent girl that I've been arguing. Because it's not. The point I've been trying to make is that girls at 14-15 have the same frame size and bone density that they'll have at 30. So the notion that girls at that age SHOULD be radically thinner/smaller than they are as adult women is false. That's boys—not girls.

I just googled the twins OP is referencing, and for what it's worth, they absolutely look closer to 160-170 lbs than 135 lbs. But the point remains. They would be the same number of pounds/BMI points overweight as adult women as they would be at 14.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2024 4:15 AM

I live in Arizona and I can tell you it's because they are eating the wrong food and too much of it. Look at the shopping carts of obese people in the supermarket, or preferably, at a Walmart. You will usually find a lot of sugary sodas (never diet) and highly processed snacks. These people simply don't care about nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2024 4:32 AM

The fat acceptance movement.

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2024 4:42 AM

135 pounds is nothing, hell I saw a kid around that age at the pools the other day who must have been pushing 300+

We're not as fat as the USA down under but we arent far behind and catching up fast. I regularly see people half my age and double my weight or more

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2024 4:51 AM

Body types also have to do with how much weigh and how we look.

I am a mesomorph but I was always thinner than I should have been, that is until I was in my mid forties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2024 5:08 PM

Early bloom, early rot.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2024 5:40 PM

Two brothers raped a woman, one brother was 13 and the other was 19 The 19 year old looked more like a 49 year old

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2024 8:07 PM

R53, I was sure you were exaggerating but when the camera showed the older brother, for a split second I thought it was his father. He does look - and sound - like he’s in his forties.

I get parents wanting to defend their children. But the evidence (a DNA match, camera footage of the kids attempting to use the victim’s ATM card) is overwhelming. In a case like this the parents would be better off staying silent.

And the father’s comment is an idiotic (“We didn’t raise them like that…”) as if some parents actually choose to raise their kids to be violent rapists.

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2024 6:37 PM

R29 I do have a dick and I Will make comment, you straight fucking sludge pit cunt, you should throw your children in a grease fire then drink some boiling grease too

by Anonymousreply 55April 15, 2024 4:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!