Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Minoxidil

My hair is really thinning and I'm considering it.

Any experiences, Dataloungers?

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 2:00 PM

Oral M, along with Finasteride (5mg) and Nutrifol has been super effective.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2024 11:21 PM

I'll resurrect this thread again because I'm curious if anyone else wants to chime in.

I got the minoxidil (spray) with finasteride through an online diagnosis and prescription three weeks ago. No one else would be able to see any change, but, yeah, there's peach fuzz on my head where there was scalp before. I think it would take 4-6 months to show a noticeable difference.

Thanks to r1, I looked into Nutrifol, which is a nonprescription nutritional supplement. Too rich for me at $88 for a month's worth (the minoxidil is about $1 a day or a little less). Plus some of the ingredients are contraindicated for a medication I'm currently taking.

So I'm hopeful. I'm no oil painting but my face is still relatively unlined and I never looked my age until my hair went goodbye. If it works, I'll feel better about myself, and that's the whole point.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 2:50 AM

Buy it cheap from TEMU and apply super liberally

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 2:51 AM

Does it work on the chest?

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 3:10 AM

Minoxidil will help, but combining it with finasteride or dutasteride will bring better results.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 3:12 AM

I would try Ethica first.

Things like Nioxin and Rogaine are lifetime commitments.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 3:15 AM

R3 here again just to say, I have a full head of hair and bought it on a whim. It made my hair grow like crazy, but I also used Rosemary oil.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 3:36 AM

I want to try it, but am super worried about the sexual side effects

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 3:42 AM

I go the oral route. 2.5 mg a day, along with 5 mg finasteride (this is higher than what most men take for hair loss, though) and I use a red light device 4x a week (iRestore). That probably the best approach for now, until something better comes along. I'll probably add microneedling to the mix this year.

If you're worried about thinning you need to be on a DHT blocker like finasteride or dutasteride, either oral or topical, as well as the minoxidil

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 4:21 AM

Vanity, thy name is 𝘮𝘢𝘯.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 4:24 AM

r9 How's your libido? etc.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 10:20 AM

r4 -- good question. Does it work on other body parts besides the scalp? I'm thinking I might want a fuzzy butt.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 11:10 AM

R9 - libido's fine (for a fifty year old, which I am)

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 12:42 PM

I tried finasteride years ago. Didn't notice any regrowth but did notice a decrease in my erectile quality. Started on oral minoxidil a few years ago (2.5 mg twice a day) which seems to be reducing shedding and created some regrowth. There are no sexual side effects, but some of my body hair has gotten longer and requires more maintenance, which is annoying but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 1:22 PM

I should mention I stop the finasteride when I felt like it was giving me limp dick.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 1:23 PM

I used Rogain back in the 90s. Used it for 1 year no substantial results. However my cat at the time developed the habit of licking my head when I was asleep. She grew very long whiskers . RIP Irma

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!