Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Colin Farrell, fit and well groomed, stars in Sugar

Apple TV series premieres 5 April.

Does Farrell still have it? I do like his guyliner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2024 3:34 AM

Don't want to derail the thread before it starts but I'm really tired of the blue filters. Can we just have natural color tones again?

Otherwise - it looks really interesting. I love an LA private eye story.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2024 5:38 PM

Cinematography does look promising.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2024 5:41 PM

I prefer blue to orange-sepia. But this trailer doesn't have many blue filtered scenes, to my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2024 5:42 PM

[quote]I love an LA private eye story.

It seems it will be something more than that:

"I cannot tell you what Sugar is really about. What I can tell you is that it begins as a contemporary hard-boiled detective drama.

But it takes until the end of the sixth episode (out of eight total for the first season) to reveal what his secrets are, and what the real story of Sugar is."

Colin looks great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2024 5:42 PM

He's always been hot and he's a very good actor. I especially like the shower scene.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2024 5:42 PM

Lockdown was great for Colin. Remember all those shots of Farrell running off all the bloat. It was an impressive transformation from the blob he had become. No Ozempic, and no body building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2024 5:46 PM

Does he play Daphne or Josephine?

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2024 5:55 PM

Of course he still has it! I adore him!I could listen to him talk all day.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2024 6:01 PM

R3 The color is toned down and there's a blue-gray cast to many of the scenes in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2024 6:15 PM

Well the series has many color tones and in fact it also has intermittent B&W scenes. It's very stylized, but I'm finding it unpretentious. Not trying to impress and the plotting isn't overly complicated or arty. So far. Colin looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2024 7:15 PM

I saw a commercial for this while watching TV and was surprised by how good he looked. I haven't wanted him for a while but now I'm paying attention...

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2024 7:19 PM

I, for one, will not be watching. I’m tired of foreigners stealing American jobs.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2024 7:55 PM

Well smell youm r12!

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2024 8:05 PM

Is Sugar gay? Is that the past he doesn't want known? What is with the look between him and the Japanese guy at the bar - episode 1. What about the girl who says "a different guy every night - you know how it goes" and Sugar gets embarrassed and deflects - episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2024 2:04 AM

And what does he inject himself with?

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2024 2:05 AM

There's another gangster movie he was in called London Boulevard, and Keira Knightly was in it too. I enjoyed it. Colin was a badass.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2024 3:08 AM

[quote]I, for one, will not be watching. I’m tired of foreigners stealing American jobs.

And I, for one, will smile a thin smile when useless bitter shits like R12 drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2024 1:21 PM

The caption should be: Colin Farrell, fit and well groomed (and well hung), stars in Sugar

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2024 1:30 PM

I love the Colin gets respect now, for his work. He was such a bad boy for all those years:drugs, sex tapes, partying, I mean the guy fucked Britney Spears. He writes poetry and speaks beautifully, so I bet he has a book or two in him, like Michael Caine who is an excellent writer. If Colin were to do it truthfully, and he strikes me as someone who would try to be honest, Colin's autobiography would be a sensation. I have always been fond of him. His TV interviews are a joy to watch. He is so smart!

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2024 1:30 PM

Well, the last episode went nowhere. This series is underwhelming. And I assumed Sugar was Irish but the backstory is he's an American boy and Vassar grad. Okidokey.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2024 9:54 PM

When he was in Saving Mr. Banks he looked incredible. So incredible I had no idea it was him. I sat around for the credits and was really shocked when his name came up.

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2024 9:56 PM

He looks gorgeous in this. He reminds me of how Brad Pitt looked in "Cool World."

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2024 10:44 PM

R22, I don't know why, but there's always been something about Colin that reminded me of B rad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2024 10:53 PM

He is soooooo hot in this.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2024 10:54 PM

He looks 65

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2024 10:55 PM

I’m selling cosmetics as a side hustle now.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2024 10:55 PM

Who is singing "California Dreaming" in the preview clip @OP? I really like the arrangement and vocal.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2024 11:00 PM

Is the dog hard to work with?

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2024 11:02 PM

R27 LOL I have been searching for that version since I heard it. Let me know if you find it. At least my search led me to Bobby Womack's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 12:32 AM

R25 you haven't watched the series or you can't because you are Helen Keller. He's fit and handsome and his age in this series.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2024 12:37 AM

The Bobby Womack version is used in the series but it's not the version in the advertisement for the show that I'm looking for.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2024 12:42 AM

It's an odd show. The character of Johnny Sugar is superhuman in his perfection--he speaks multiple languages fluently, has exquisite expensive tastes (which he can somehow afford to indulge on a PI's salary), can drink any amount of alcohol without getting drunk thanks to a genetic mutation, and has such perfect reflexes he can literally catch a fly in mid-air just with chopsticks. There's something up with all that we'll learn eventually.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2024 12:44 AM

All the ones at the house party are all some kind of new fangled Lebensborn.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2024 12:45 AM

Colin is a great actor and indeed does look fantastic, but his greatest film role will always be his sex tape when he had the amazing Troy body and shaved head along with the remarkable BIC. Truly unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2024 1:17 AM

I like the dog a lot--that's a good addition to the show.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2024 1:48 AM

She’s a great actress, but I don’t really see Amy Ryan as a famous rock star.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2024 2:12 AM

I thought that in The Banshees of Inisherin he was more attractive than Barry Keoghan.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2024 2:26 AM

I wanted to like this show but it's not as interesting or clever as it thinks it is. It could easily be on CBS at 9pm.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote] I thought that in The Banshees of Inisherin he was more attractive than Barry Keoghan.

In The Banshees of Inisherin the donkey was more attractive than Barry Keoghan.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2024 2:38 AM

For anyone with even a passing interest in Colin, I strongly urge you to go on You Tube and just watch some of his interviews and conversations. He is delightful. I could listen to him talk for days.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2024 2:58 AM

Who are the Siegels and Lorraine Everly supposed to be in real life? Are they based on real people?

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2024 3:00 AM

R38 you said it. It's perfect for grandmas.

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2024 9:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2024 5:41 PM

[quote] Troy body

What’s a Troy body?

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2024 5:43 PM

IYKYK r44.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2024 6:11 PM

I would do such filthy things to this man.

I prefer the older, manly version of him to the twink version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2024 7:17 PM

Those were the lockdown running photos. Now in this series in 2024 he's built up his torso with muscles but is still pretty lithe.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2024 9:11 PM

He ruined his life. He destroyed his looks with drugs and alcohol. He looks only decent because he is still in his 40s but he will soon be a walking zombie. He also didn't get a vasectomy and as a result, he got ugly offspring. He did everything wrong that you can do wrong as a rich dude in Hollywood. With his riches, he should have broken his legs and lengthened them with East-European surgery. Why is apple rewarding such irresponsible men with exclusive shows? I will cancel my subscription.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2024 10:27 PM

This thread has talked almost entirely about what Farrell now looks like, but the show itself is quite interesting. I like that although torture and murder have been implied we've yet to actually have to see that much of it.

I'm also curious about the central mystery as to what Sugar, Ruby, and the other people who gathered in Ruby's house actually are. They could be super-spies bred by world governments, or they could be visitors from Somewhere Else (a different planet, dimension, or timeline). They have an overall mission they're not allowed o ignore, but Farrell's Sugar and some of the others seem to have side careers (in Sugar's case, as a finder of lost people0 that gives them meaning and direction in life. I'm also curious whether Sugar's obsession with film noir and old movies in general has anything to do with his difficulty dreaming he's mentioned a few times--as if the old movies take the place of dreaming for him.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2024 10:29 PM

[quote] R38 you said it. It's perfect for grandmas.

We can't all master your levels of sophisticated viewing--brilliant shows like "So Help Me Todd," according to troll-dar.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2024 10:36 PM

R48 BITTER UNFUCKED PRISSPOT MARY!

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2024 10:38 PM

R50 and what is my snarky take on So Help me Todd, dimwit?

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2024 10:39 PM

R50 Also note, dumbass, that I created this thread! I guess twats like yourself only have two critical registers. Goooood. Baaaaad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2024 10:43 PM

R48 is a parody, right?

by Anonymousreply 54April 22, 2024 2:59 AM

Colin can sang, too! I listened to his version of weary kind as compared to Ryan Bingham and his was better. I love him. He looked so good in Crazy Heart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 22, 2024 3:04 PM

I enjoyed the first four episodes a lot. At first, I was more intrigued by the camerawork (which calms down substantially later on) but now I'm hooked on the story as well. I nearly came when the camera almost bumped into Kirby Howell-Baptiste's face and cast a shadow on her, breaking the fourth wall for a split second. I'll be keeping an eye on Fernando Meirelles going forward, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 56April 22, 2024 3:56 PM

Pretty voice.

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2024 4:00 PM

He was at his hottest in Crazy Heart. Even better in some scenes than the clip shown above. God dayum…

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2024 5:28 PM

I like Kenny, the hot gay (Blatino?) henchman who fucks to get what he needs.

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2024 12:00 AM

Colin looks fantastic lately. There were some leaked pap shots from the set of the new movie he's shooting with Margot Robbie and dayum, he looks great. Clean lowkey living certainly agree with him. And yes, he's very charming in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2024 12:11 AM

Next episode we will supposedly get the lowdown as to who Sugar really is and what the big mystery about his mission is.

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote] We can't all master your levels of sophisticated viewing--brilliant shows like "So Help Me Todd," according to troll-dar.

I don't know what "So Help Me Todd" is, cunt. But if troll-dar says so... 🙄

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2024 1:26 AM

r50, I'm dayplaying on that film for 7 days in May, I shall report back.

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2024 1:38 AM

I love how taut it is. Thirty minutes, in and out.

Blatino's veiny muscles look so nice.

r61 Looking forward to that, latest episode felt like it lost a bit of momentum.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2024 5:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 29, 2024 6:02 PM

is he sober or booze addict?

by Anonymousreply 66April 29, 2024 6:06 PM

he's so short

by Anonymousreply 67April 29, 2024 6:06 PM

No he’s not. Willem Dafoe is short. Sly Stallone is short.,

by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2024 8:26 PM

He absolutely is short!

by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2024 1:32 PM

Farrell looks hot and handsome but should stop dyeing his hair, it looks fale and like he’s trying too har.d

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2024 3:30 PM

He’s one of those guys that you would randomly pick up, kinda like oh what the heck, and then end up having the greatest, dirtiest sex of your life

by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]Well the series has many color tones and in fact it also has intermittent B&W scenes. It's very stylized, but I'm finding it unpretentious.

Just out of curiosity, how quickly did you guys pick up on the fact that the show splices in bits from old black-and-white movies in-between scenes? I missed it for the first two and feel stupid for it, particularly since they've also change the main show's aspect ratio to match whatever film's being shown (e.g. 2:1, which was also the ratio for CRT televisions).

[quote]Is Sugar gay? Is that the past he doesn't want known?

It's 2024. It was weird enough a decade ago when HBO made Taylor Kitsch's "True Detective" character a closet-case, but nowadays is a nonstarter given all the stupid political bullshit going on. (Also, Colin's LONG been a straight ally, given that his brother is gay IRL.) Sugar also interviewed a married lesbian couple and seemed entirely nonplussed by it, so him being gay doesn't really track. Not counting coming-of-age stories, e.g. "Heartstopper" and "Love, Simon," or ones involving secretly gay politicians, I can't even remember the last time I saw a fully closeted character either on TV or in film.

[quote]And what does he inject himself with?

While I'm unclear if this is part of the underlying mystery, my initial assumption was that he was shooting up heroin – except we only saw him do it the one time, so I don't think the secret is that he's a junkie. Given that a few other shows have employed a similar storytelling deceit of sorts, it's also possible that he's injecting himself with some sort of memory-blocking agent, or whatever he needs to keep his still-unexplained neurological issues under control. (It's also possible he was just injecting himself with a benzo due to a panic attack.) Considering he was in Japan when the show started, is it possible he's trying to block out the memory of something that happened previously in L.A., given that his return there triggered recall of it? (Related, but yes, "Total Recall" was one of the early "unreliable narrator" movies to catch on.)

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2024 6:52 PM

[quote]The character of Johnny Sugar is superhuman in his perfection--he speaks multiple languages fluently, has exquisite expensive tastes (which he can somehow afford to indulge on a PI's salary), can drink any amount of alcohol without getting drunk thanks to a genetic mutation, and has such perfect reflexes he can literally catch a fly in mid-air just with chopsticks.

Let's unpack this a bit. First, being a polyglot isn't THAT unusual, and definitely not superhuman. One of the first guys I ever dated was a doctoral student in linguistics who couldn't "merely" speak five languages; he could speak four of them with region-specific accents! (German as spoken in Germany differs a fair amount of Swiss-style German.) My sister-in-law also speaks three languages fluently. While I have zero aptitude for foreign languages, some people easily pick them up.

Sugar clearly has vast sums of money at his disposal, but we aren't given any specifics. While living at a five-star hotel may be the most L.A. thing ever, it doesn't come cheap: think $250K/year on the low end, but Sugar apparently keeps his room at the Hotel del Corazon 365 days a year. Yes, that's definitely absurd for a "mere" PI – except I think it's clear by now that Sugar is decidedly *not* that. As a reminder, the first episode had him rescuing the son of a Tokyo Yakuza head. To state the obvious, organized crime and massively rich Hollywood directors / producers can (and will) pay top dollar to get the job done right, and considering the level of risk in getting tangled up with a group that powerful, I think we can assume Sugar's paid *extremely* well for his services.

I'm less surprised about Sugar clearly having a huge amount of cash than, say, an aging rocker somehow being able to afford a house worth $3M or more (meaning Melanie). I think his ostensible "genetic mutation" may be related to the mystery: if he's been self-medicating with large amounts of any "party" drug (heroin, benzos, ketamine, molly, etc.), he may *actually* be able to drink huge amounts of booze without feeling the effects. I know a few people in recovery who have to inform doctors in advance of any procedure requiring sedation that they'll need 2x as much as a normal patient due solely to a decades-old alcohol or substance-abuse problem, even *without* any breaks in sobriety.

As for catching flies with chopsticks: this was one of the more famous scenes in "The Karate Kid" 40 years ago, and I really don't get why they'd redo it, but I assume the point was merely to show that Sugar is both fastidious *and* talented – which happens to be an apropos segue into my hunch about the secret: they're not merely PIs, and I suspect Sugar's either an assassin or possibly so mentally unbalanced due to a prior trauma that he loses control Hulk-style and keeps killing people without even realizing it.

OTOH that doesn't at all explain what Ruby could possibly be up to. Why on *earth* would she be conspiring with the Siegels behind Sugar's back? We already know part of the conspiracy involves human trafficking, but does Ruby know that, and if so, why the FUCK is she going along with it?!? I look forward to finding out tonight!

P.S. I know some of you cunts think anyone other than muscle twunks under 25 is "hideous," Colin looks exceptionally good for his age, and also doesn't appear to have had any cosmetic work done. (Unlike, say, Ben Affleck, who has hair plugs & veneers to thank for his facial appearance.)

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2024 7:22 PM

So first day on the Margo/Colin movie- he's maybe 5'10", 5'11" with his hair. Yes it's dyed a reddish brown color, as his facial hair is too. He's slim, doesn't have the gray pallor that inveterate smokers have (I saw him around 2014 at CinemaCon smoking up a storm with...Vince Vaughn?-can't remember- and he was grayish)., and everyone says that he's such a delight to work with. He can definitely turn the charm on, likes to joke around with the crew.

by Anonymousreply 74May 1, 2024 4:59 AM

Keep the deets coming r74. How is Margot to work with? She seems cool.

Colin looks very slim and fit in the photos I've seen from that set.

by Anonymousreply 75May 1, 2024 2:12 PM

It was my first day, and Margot pretty much keeps to herself, but the crew likes her as well, maybe as not as much as Colin, who will talk about crew's kids and dogs if he sees them as screen locks on people's phones. He really seems to like dogs- he's asked various crew members to bring their dogs to set.

by Anonymousreply 76May 1, 2024 2:16 PM

Just saw the big reveal. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 77May 3, 2024 1:53 AM

Was NOT expecting that.

by Anonymousreply 78May 3, 2024 3:39 AM

I knew there was something more happening but did not see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 79May 3, 2024 4:47 AM

Did not see that coming either. Is he an alien or an angel of the Lord? So many things make sense now. I'm genuinely loving the fact that this isn't just another stylised detective story.

I heard that the original showrunner disavowed those old movie inserts and so – along with Fernando Meirelles' camerawork that's at odds with the directors helming other episodes – creatively the show is a bit all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 80May 3, 2024 2:30 PM

[quote]I heard that the original showrunner disavowed those old movie inserts and so – along with Fernando Meirelles' camerawork that's at odds with the directors helming other episodes

I can understand how someone diverting from one's vision can cause frustration/ire, but to me, it works. It makes the series more than a simple gumshoe story. It's adds texture to the storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 81May 3, 2024 4:54 PM

Most of us have met those people whose entire personality are just movies or even have been those people in the past ourselves, so his constant movie references can get annoying on that front. However, now that I know he's not human, it's not as annoying. I too enjoy the inserted film scenes.

And it's didactic as well – for example, I didn't know The Night of The Hunter was the origin of the love/hate knuckle tats. Although sometimes they're pushing this too far. Like when he's telling that lady the plot of The Thing. Like come on, surely someone her age would be at least passingly familiar with the existence of that movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 3, 2024 5:30 PM

Colin is very beautiful in the last shot.

by Anonymousreply 83May 3, 2024 8:23 PM

I thought since they made a point to say Sugar graduated from Vassar, he was going to be trans.

by Anonymousreply 84May 3, 2024 8:25 PM

I had figured out the big plot twist as the likely explanation for John's abilities from the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2024 2:20 AM

r83 Agreed. Beautiful eyes in particular, though the whole mask looks neat.

by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2024 3:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!