Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Migrants bring tuberculosis back to Chicago

Tuberculosis outbreak at Chicago migrant shelters sparks urgent contact tracing as officials say a FIFTH of Latin American arrivals carry the disease

The Chicago Department of Public Health said 'a small number of cases' were reported 'in a few different shelters' around the city.

Health officials confirmed a fifth of Latin American arrivals carry TB, but it usually latent, not contagious, and asymptomatic.

The TB cases come after 55 measles cases were detected in the city, the majority originating from the Pilsen migrant shelter

These cases come as the city is increasing its budget with the firm that's been helping with migrant health care.

SEE ALSO | 1st measles case confirmed in suburban Cook County as Chicago's total rises to 52

The city extended its contract with Favorite Healthcare late last month for an additional $85 million.

It's the third multi-million dollar increase to this contract since late December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2024 9:44 PM

Diversity is our *COUGH* strength!

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2024 7:23 PM

The US has had tuberculosis outbreaks amongst the general (non-migrant) population for decades, so big deal. Don't the dumb fuckers that post this shit actually read much?

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2024 7:27 PM

Bring back Ellis Island!

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2024 7:41 PM

OP = troll

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2024 7:44 PM

Go home Boris.

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2024 7:45 PM

Idiots at R4 and R5 who equate posting a news article from ABC to being a Russian troll.

That's how stupid they are.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2024 7:48 PM

65 cases in Cook County in 2022

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2024 7:51 PM

First world problems

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2024 8:00 PM

Well now, Americans who are VACCINATED won't have to worry about a thing, will they?

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2024 11:20 PM

fuck these cunts!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2024 11:22 PM

I was vaccinated. Doesnt worry me.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2024 11:26 PM

I will bear it stoically...like Ingrid Bergman in the Bells of St. Mary's.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2024 11:31 PM

See, I told you all along. I was try to protect us from this chronic and debilitating illness.

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2024 11:35 PM

TB vaccinations are not routine in the US.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2024 11:51 PM

Thanks Uncle Joe! "We did it!"

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2024 12:08 AM

r1 will say nothing about anti-vaxxers spreading measles in Florida

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2024 12:10 AM

r15, your boy Trump called a deadly pandemic a "democrat hoax"

And your anti-vaxxer boyfriend Ron DeSantis is allowing measles to spread in Florida

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2024 12:10 AM

I vote straight Democratic and have never voted Republican in my life. Still, I'm not thrilled with the stat that 10-20 percent of the South American migrants being admitted to the US carry the latent TB virus. Those most at risk in Chicago are shelter residents. it's a public health problem that calls for testing and vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2024 12:39 AM

Vote RFK JR anti-vaxx ticket to make the spread of all diseases permanent!

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2024 12:44 AM

R16, R17

CBS News March 22:

"Illinois has reported the most measles cases in recent weeks, with 17 total infections reported in Chicago. Most were residents at a migrant shelter. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote] Vote RFK JR anti-vaxx ticket to make the spread of all diseases permanent!

RFK didn't open the border wide

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2024 12:54 AM

I cannot die like Camille for you!

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2024 1:11 AM

Immigrants (the "migrant" expression now being loaded with political bias) have carried TB into the US and Western Europe all along.

Politicizing the problem now is just MAGA crap.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2024 1:15 AM

If everyone is vaxxed they don't affect the population. Get your vaccinations.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2024 1:16 AM

TB or not TB? *That* is the congestion.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2024 1:20 AM

"Migrants"

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2024 2:07 AM

R2 That's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2024 2:11 AM

i'm sure they bring all kinds of diseases....they live in third world countries.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2024 3:01 PM

R28 And why is that okay? Legal immigrants are tested for diseases before entering. As it should be.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2024 4:09 PM

They test everybody, or should, they do not vax everybody.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2024 4:15 PM

I really have to laugh at people saying "no big deal" to a headline that reads "Migrants bring tuberculosis back to Chicago".

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2024 4:28 PM

Why R31? Most people are vaccinated in childhood. That's the whole point of vaccinating populations.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2024 4:30 PM

R32 TB levels are the highest in a decade.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2024 4:38 PM

Every large city in the US have had Tuberculosis breakouts on and off forever- trying to pin it specifically on migrants is just dumb and uninformed.

Hepatitis C used to be considered an STI- nowadays an overwhelming number of them come from dirty restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2024 4:41 PM

R34 That's not the point. Welcoming immigrants who carry serious diseases is stupid. It's not about pinning it on anybody. Use your common sense. You would not be welcomed into another country if you had TB.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2024 4:56 PM

Yes, among unvaxxed.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2024 4:58 PM

[Quote] Hepatitis C used to be considered an STI- nowadays an overwhelming number of them come from dirty restaurants

R34 The CDC confirms that you cannot contract HCV through:

eating with utensils shared by someone with hepatitis C holding hands, hugging, or kissing someone with hepatitis C being near someone with hepatitis C when they cough or sneeze nursing (babies can’t get hepatitis C through breast milk) food and water.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2024 5:02 PM

The smallpox vaccine is the most effective vaccine of all time, and even it is not quite 100% effective. Other vaccines are less than 100% effetvie. And believe it or not we have a responsibility to protect all citizens, Vaxed or unvaxed. The best way is always to avoid the disease in any ways possible.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2024 5:07 PM

This is an argument for public health measures, not for denying asylum.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2024 5:13 PM

Yes it is, r39. Illegals brings disease. It’s always been this way.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2024 5:15 PM

The shelters in Chicago are Venezuelan asylum applicants. They are not illegals. Buh bye and have a nice MAGA thread.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2024 12:31 AM

Correction: The residents of the shelters in Chicago aree Venezuelan asylum applicants. Now I'm gone.

by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2024 12:33 AM

r21 neither did Biden - you are reading right from Fox News/ Newsmax OAN talking points -if you count all the contracts for private industry from US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) since Joe Biden took office—for, that is, 2021, 2022, and 2023—the number comes to $23.5 billion. And though you’d never guess it, given what we normally hear, that already beats Donald Trump’s total for his full four years in office, $20.9 billion. Or, to put the matter in a more historical perspective, private contracts for the Biden years already top the cumulative $22.5 billion spent in border and immigration enforcement budgets from 1975 to 1997. That’s 22 years if you weren’t counting.

by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2024 12:40 AM

[quote]The shelters in Chicago are Venezuelan asylum applicants. They are not illegals.

They entered the country legally?

by Anonymousreply 44April 6, 2024 1:02 AM

[quote]I really have to laugh at people saying "no big deal" to a headline that reads "Migrants bring tuberculosis back to Chicago".

No big deal!

"Chicago Health warns of possible measles exposure on CTA buses, city schools"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 6, 2024 1:08 AM

Maybe if parents vaccinated their kids, this wouldn't be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2024 1:14 AM

Bus no. 8 is Halsted.

by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2024 5:51 AM

R41 is too clueless that these migrants are fake asylum seekers.

by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2024 10:42 AM

R34 Hep C spread in restaurants? I would love to see research proving that. Thanks hun.

-- Science

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2024 11:24 AM

R19 gurlina, this manipulative slur "anti vaxxer" has become tired. RFK is for better institutional control of pharmaceutical companies, not against vaccines per se.

Also, RFK is for border control, he is against creating immigration crisis to bring chrap work force for corporations.

by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2024 12:47 PM

cheap work force*

by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2024 12:51 PM

Online anti-vaxxers in comments sections are saying these diseases are no big deal. Herd immunity and all that. Lots of "I had measles and it was no big deal". I'm assuming they're lying as I too had it and it was awful, I had to staying a dark room with no TV or reading for a few days while feeling like death. Apparently, the vaxx I received in a certain year was non-active(?) or something.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2024 12:54 PM

[quote][R19] gurlina, this manipulative slur "anti vaxxer" has become tired. RFK is for better institutional control of pharmaceutical companies, not against vaccines per se.

Again and again, Kennedy has made his opposition to vaccines clear. In July, Kennedy said in a podcast interview that “There’s no vaccine that is safe and effective” and told FOX News that he still believes in the long-ago debunked idea that vaccines can cause autism. In a 2021 podcast he urged people to “resist” CDC guidelines on when kids should get vaccines.

“I see somebody on a hiking trail carrying a little baby and I say to him, better not get them vaccinated,” Kennedy said.

That same year, in a video promoting an anti-vaccine sticker campaign by his nonprofit, Kennedy appeared onscreen next to one sticker that declared “IF YOU’RE NOT AN ANTI-VAXXER YOU AREN’T PAYING ATTENTION.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2024 1:14 PM

R50, RFK Jr is very much an anti-vaxxer. It's bullshit if you have to add "per se." It's like Ted Bundy saying he's not against murdering young women, per se, but still does it.

by Anonymousreply 54April 6, 2024 1:14 PM

[quote] Herd immunity and all that.

You do understand don't you that herd immunity is also the goal of vaccination programs? Please be sufficiently aware as to not refer to it as something silly or insignificant. Regardless how it's achieved that's how we survive.

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2024 1:21 PM

Yes R55 but anti-vaxx assholes want do it by allowing everyone to get sick instead of just getting vaccinated. Apparently, child mortality is not a big concern.

by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2024 2:12 PM

[quote]Maybe if parents vaccinated their kids, this wouldn't be an issue.

Maybe if we secured the border we wouldn’t have disease, criminals and people we can’t afford. Maybe then we could then afford universal healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 57April 6, 2024 4:50 PM

I've lived in a border area for years R57. The "border crisis" is the new Roe vs Wade right talking point.

by Anonymousreply 58April 6, 2024 5:03 PM

R58, it’s not, and Joe Biden doesn’t even agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2024 5:05 PM

Yes R59.

by Anonymousreply 60April 6, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote]Maybe if we secured the border we wouldn’t have disease, criminals and people we can’t afford. Maybe then we could then afford universal healthcare.

r57 - r59 Talk to the rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 61April 6, 2024 5:21 PM

Send them all to sanctuary cities.

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2024 5:45 PM

It’s the close quarters, not the immigrants. I caught TB from being in a state psychiatric facility in the early 1980s. There’s a regimen of medication available for an easy cure. Quit trying to cast the folks as vermin. It’s so depressing seeing this site sliding into the reich wing dung heap at every turn. Jesus, we’re a first world country. We can handle it assuming we want to.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2024 6:04 PM

[quote]I caught TB from being in a state psychiatric facility in the early 1980s.

This is the most DataLounge sentence ever that doesn't reference Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote]I caught TB from being in a state psychiatric facility in the early 1980s.

R63 IS Helen Lawson!

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2024 6:40 PM

R63, Hi crazy motherfucker! Are you still nuts?

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2024 8:46 PM

There’s always been plenty of TB around with addicts and the homeless.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2024 9:05 PM

R49 - Oops! It's A, not C. As it is, it doesn't change my original point anyways.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2024 9:14 PM

It seems like all migrants should be given a round of vaccinations before they're released from custody. It probably won't happened since the CBP went to court over whether they're obligated to give basic care to the people in their custody.

by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2024 12:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2024 5:49 PM

OP- You mean

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2024 5:55 PM

I get confused. Are we supposed to be against and concerned about the communicable disease risk of all different types of high risk population groups found with excess incidence of infectious disease ?

Or does this just apply to those high risk groups who are also immigrants,

On an unrelated note they are proposing doing away with the term AIDS. Replaced with the term—-advanced HIV.

Now back to local programming.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 6:00 PM

[quote] they are proposing doing away with the term AIDS. Replaced with the term—-advanced HIV.

Yes and we had to "contribute" a small fortune to the DNC for this but it will be worth it. We're back baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 6:13 PM

This is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 6:27 PM

Thanks Conald “Open Borders” Trump

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 6:41 PM

R75 you misspelled Biden

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote] OP- You mean ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

I’m so confused, I thought that they were ILLEGAL ALIENS. You know, like aliens from some place else. Did we switch our minds on what they are called.

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2024 6:42 PM

The Industrial Revolution is over. There are no factories. They are here to collect free checks, be influencers, and to steal & rape. Keep voting BLUE!!!

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2024 6:48 PM

R76 FUCKS NEWS won’t tell me about the Congressional Vote to keep the borders WIDE OPEN for Rapey Orange Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2024 9:23 PM

R73 A LAUGHT RIOT, you are! Are you here all night? Keep em coming! AYDS, huh? I haven't thought about that in 50 years! ROFL!

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2024 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!