Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Garden" a documentary about disenfranchised young gay Palestinians

I would like to share my thoughts on the documentary "Garden," released in 2003, which remains a poignant portrayal of the challenges faced by young gay Palestinians. The film offers a compelling insight into the struggles and dangers that accompany their journey. Despite its release over two decades ago, "Garden" continues to serve as a relevant and important exploration of the experiences of gay Palestinian men in navigating their identities and relationships.

NOTE: I attended a film festival where I watched this movie years ago. Here's a link to the full film, which I discovered through a Google search. While I'm uncertain about the website's content, it appears to offer free access to the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2024 4:39 AM

Do they somehow manage to blame Israel for their predicament?

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2024 10:12 PM

R1 quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2024 5:09 AM

They don't blame Israel, because relocating to Israel is the only way for them to survive (look at the gay Palestinian guy whom Iceland almost sent to represent them at Eurovision this year, for example). It's not really talked about, but you're taken behind the street by a gang and beaten to death if you're openly gay in Gaza. This is just how they police themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2024 10:31 AM

I saw this at the Los Angeles Outfest Film Festival many years back. As an openly gay Arab man, it hit me hard. This young gay hustler shared his horrible position. His older brothers will kill him since he is openly gay and a source of disgrace for his family.

It was heartbreaking to see the pain in his eyes. He is torn between his Palestinian family, whom he still loves but has abandoned for fear of his life, and the streets of Israel as a non-citizen, with no secure place to call home. After viewing this candid film, you realize how easy it is for the vast majority of us in the Western world to be gay and out. This human narrative will stick with you.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2024 12:57 AM

I've seen this one and many other similar documentaries on hustlers in many countries. They are all heartbreaking but you also see "can do" and, sometimes, blind optimism (of youth) that combine with the human will to survive. The most touching one to me is Hommes à louer about a few street hustlers in Montreal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2024 4:33 AM

I have noticed on Chaturbate that I can detect a modern iteration of the scenario. Young men who get out of oppressive cultures and who are currently in safe cities abroad and doing streaming sex to make money. In some ways technology has offered an improvement and more safety. Their eyes, though. It was not a picnic for them, and it's still not.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2024 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!