Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Newspaper Comic Strips

Which strip has made you laugh the most over its entire history?

Which one has never made you laugh?

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2024 3:29 PM

I have never laughed at “The Family Circus.”

Each panel seemed like a daily bamboozle.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2024 5:10 AM

Bloom County always made me laugh -Peanuts never did.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2024 5:23 AM

Does The Far Side count?

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2024 5:31 AM

Hi and Lois never were much of a laugh riot.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2024 6:05 AM

Calvin and Hobbs. Bill Watterson is the only comic strip writer who actually understands how kids think

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2024 6:15 AM

Ack!

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2024 10:35 AM

The Far Side was the funniest. Peanuts and Garfield are nostalgic favorites even though they stopped being amusing a long time ago.

There are many candidates for least funny, but I always had a special hatred for Andy Capp and Gasoline Alley.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2024 11:25 AM

GET FUZZY can be amusing some days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2024 11:28 AM

Pearls Before Swine made me laugh. Le Danse de Pearls Before Swine! And the Far Side had many memorable comics. But I'm a Peanuts kid, Schroeder was my man, and I religiously read Mutts in my inbox daily. Did anyone follow the freeing of Guard Dog? I cried like a big MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2024 12:01 PM

Between 1955 and the early 70s I think Peanuts was the best written comic strip in the US.

But my favorite comic strip bar none was Walt Kelly's Pogo.

Hey B.C. and The Wizard of Id had their satirical moments before Hart went off the rails.

Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were great. Check out Achewood for adult-themed comics that are not what is usually meant by "adult themed".

Hi & Louis and Beetle Bailey were laugh-free. Heathcliff was vomit. Cathy was terrible. But Family Circus remains the single unfunniest thing ever committed to newsprint.

"The Dysfunctional Family Circus" on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2024 1:38 PM

Doonesbury was probably my favorite. Then came Calvin & Hobbes. Garfield was fun, but I'm a lasagne lover.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2024 3:12 PM

I don’t think Family Circus was supposed to be laugh out loud funny, just a cute thing you might smile at and forget a minute later. I liked Cathy, but I liked the ones where the characters aged, grew, and evolved like For Better or Worse, Funky Winkerbean, Sally Forth. I liked a little suspense mixed in.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2024 3:23 PM

The Family Circus has never been funny.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2024 3:41 PM

Calvin and Hobbes was funny enough that I bought all the books of collected strips. Sally Forth is supposed to be a take off on what exactly? Self absorbed nitwits? It’s routinely awful.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2024 4:37 PM

I read Pickles and Mutts every day. I cried over Mutts during the Guard Dog story line. Pickles is just silly and fun.

I read others when I have time but there's some that are not funny at all like Rex Morgan and some Viking drama that runs in the Sunday edition. I laughed at Dilbert on occasion but our paper dropped him for his racist remarks. I also used to laugh at Calvin and Hobbes.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2024 5:45 PM

I love Fat Broad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2024 6:41 PM

An Achewood strip where they prank-call Marmaduke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2024 6:46 PM

Always laughed: "The Far Side"

Never laughed: "Apartment 3G"

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2024 6:49 PM

I LOVED the Dysfunctional Family Circus, where sickos would take original FC panels and write new captions.

My favorite was Daddy talking to a bearded neighbor over the back fence, while Dolly tells Billy, "Daddy's slutty new shorts are a real bear magnet."

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2024 7:09 PM

^ It's true 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote]Never laughed: "Apartment 3G"

I don't think you were supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2024 7:22 PM

Someone explain "Drabble" to me. It's been around for 45 fucking years, has never been funny even once, and looks like it was drawn by a 10-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2024 7:48 PM

Calvin & Hobbes made cartoons into a high art form

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2024 7:55 PM

Bloom County, Peanuts, Doonesbury but best of all Calvin and Hobbes.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2024 8:09 PM

R23, ahem.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2024 8:09 PM

Aww r8, I've completely forgot about Get Fuzzy. Thanks. Loved Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbs too.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2024 8:20 PM

Kids today love Calvin and Hobbes. I tried to keep the books in my classroom library, but they were usually gone within a week. A testament to the writing that forty years later kids still relate to the characters -even if they can't quite recognize things like television sets, telephones, VCRs, and other cultural remnants.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2024 8:34 PM

This little gayling had a major crush on...Kerry Drake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2024 8:34 PM

R21 A3G was hilarious when 92 year old Frank Bolle could only draw stick figures.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2024 8:36 PM

Untrue, R13. It was funny in the first two years. They came out with a collection about 15 years ago and I was surprised how much better it was in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2024 9:07 PM

Doonesbury was a rollercoaster of emotions and definitely topical in ways that surprised, infuriated, and entertained millions of people.

I can remember the debates (and sometimes reader demands) that it shouln't be printed with "the funnies" but be placed on the paper's editorial pages - it was seen as that "adult" and political.

I've got three collections of Trudeau's works. He was singular for many, many years.

For really funny, definitely Calvin & Hobbes, Get Fuzzy was (is?) great - I haven't read it in years.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2024 9:34 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2024 10:56 PM

[quote]Krazy Kat, and Little Nemo, a hundred fucking years ago

Oh please, r25. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2024 10:58 PM

No DL love for Hagar The Horrible?

It was Married with Children before that show was ever conceived -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2024 12:12 AM

The Born Loser was better than most =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2024 12:14 AM

Favorites were Bloom County and Far Side, with honorable mention to Wizard of Id and Hagar the Horrible when I was a kid.

The others ranged from meh to cringe

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2024 2:44 AM

^ Oh, and Ziggy too.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2024 2:45 AM

Oh man, Ziggy... there's a comic character I haven't thought of in decades. Is it still drawn? Drawn by the same person? Down an internet rabbit hole of google searches I could go...

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2024 10:33 AM

For Better or Worse wasn't the best but it's worthy of mentioning. It was very pro gay when Lawrence the friend came out in the early 90s. And the strips are a really good read in anthologies and you can see everything progress in order. Also a good introduction to Canada for the Americans!

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2024 10:39 AM

^ That's another plus for Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin has a Gay uncle who looks surprisingly like Bill Watterson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2024 11:21 AM

Fritzi Ritz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 5:22 AM

I liked Zits as a teen boy. Is it still around? It felt very late '90s.

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2024 5:28 AM

Comics I like: Pearls Before Swine, The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes

Don’t like: Family Circus

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2024 5:36 AM

Nancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2024 7:19 AM

I never got the impression that Max in Calvin & Hobbes was gay. I did think he's presented as a bit of a lost soul.

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2024 2:28 PM

^ The character of Calvin's uncle Max was written Gay as is the creator Bill Watterson... "Lost soul"? You bible-thumping fraus are the only "lost souls" around here 🤨

by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2024 3:17 PM

R46, I'm a gay man and saw no such reference. If you could provide a citation that would be great.

Bible-thumping? Not me.

The strip where, discussing Hobbes as an imaginary friend, Max admits to Calvin's mom that sometimes he feels as if all of his own friends have been imaginary seemed a tip-off that his life was not as stable as he might have hoped.

by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2024 3:22 PM

"I'm a gay man... just like you"

Go away

by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2024 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!