Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I bought myself a portable DVD player!

In 2009 I went back to college and was living in a dorm and while shopping at Target saw portable dvd players. This was when they were popular (and expensive). I ended up buying myself a Sony one, smaller but cute and $170! There were other ones that went up to $300+. I kept it for years despite not using it but it vanished one day. I’m certain my uncle took it when visiting.

Anyway, I was looking through stuff at a thrift store today and they had this portable dvd player in practically new condition. A Red Sony one that went for over $200 back in the day! Seeing it made me feel nostalgic so I bought it. I only own 2 DVDs and don’t need it but idk why, it made me smile and feel happy. I’m now watching one of the two DVDs I have on it just for fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2024 6:12 PM

And what did you have for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2024 3:39 AM

You can find so many DVDs for cheap on places like eBay that aren't featured on streaming sites or may not last long on the ones that you subscribe to. I own DVDs of shows & specials I could never give up viewing from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2024 3:41 AM

R2 I used to own hundreds of DVDs and Blu-ray’s . When I moved into a smaller place in 2020 I got rid of almost all of them. Only kept a couple because they’re hard to find.

I regret getting rid of my collection. I had this discussion days ago with someone. She also got rid of her collection and regrets it.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2024 3:45 AM

OP bought it so they could finally watch the last episode of Friends.

Fade to black

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2024 3:47 AM

How lovely for you.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2024 3:47 AM

I bought a new cassette boombox at Big Lots last month (batteries not included).

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2024 4:06 AM

I actually want a boombox.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2024 4:13 AM

Sadly DVDs/Blu-rays are a dying (dead) breed and I am so glad I bought (very cheaply) so many Woody Allen and Roman Polanski films I love… now not only are they not streaming anywhere, but the dvds aren’t even available. And, no, this isn’t about the directors’ personal lives, but being able to enjoy art they created unrelated to all of that.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2024 4:13 AM

A somewhat related discussion about the benefits of holding onto physical movies (and other entertainment material).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2024 4:13 AM

so how much did you pay for it you stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2024 4:18 AM

I got rid of all of mine but not before I got DVD ripper software and converted it all to digital. All that space that the DVD collections were taking up was reclaimed and I still have my entire collection. DVD ripper software is like, $30 and you just put it all on a hard drive.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2024 4:33 AM

Gen Z is coming back around to tangibles with everything (VHS, DVD, CD, cassettes), like millennials did with vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2024 4:38 AM

I loved those portable dvd players, so congrats on getting one for yourself. Got one for mom back when they were popular. I think she may have used it twice. When we had to empty the house a few years ago I saw the box sitting on a shelf. But the player was gone. Not sure if she gave it away or someone in the family grabbed it. I hope someone is appreciating it now.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2024 5:15 AM

I have one as well and watch movies online but sometimes there is nothing better than a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2024 5:57 AM

R13 clearly doesn’t read. OP stated he too bought one back when they were popular and paid over $170 for one. He just bought himself a new one years later.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2024 10:20 AM

I love old media formats. I have a CRT television still and various adapters so I can watch anything on it.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2024 11:45 AM

[quote]I got rid of all of mine but not before I got DVD ripper software and converted it all to digital. All that space that the DVD collections were taking up was reclaimed and I still have my entire collection

Hope you're taking care of your digital files better than Hollywood is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2024 11:49 AM

I purchased a portable DVD player around 2005 and would take it on trips. Or when I was working late shifts at work, I would play standup comedy specials I owned. I still have the DVD player stored in a bin, I haven't used it in about 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2024 11:54 AM

R18 OP here. the one I had was also Sony but smaller and thinner than this one. I loved it. It vanished one day.

I’m glad I bought this one. It’s in amazing condition. Not even a scratch on it. Came with the remote, all the chords and the original manual even.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2024 6:00 PM

R10 $40

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2024 6:00 PM

OP here. Sorry, I said 2009. It was 2010 when I bought my Sony portable dvd player. And I found the one I bought. It was on sale for $169.99 when I bought it. It goes for close to $400 now if you want it new. You can get it used for cheap though.

I had this one. The 7 inch screen. It was small and compact and light. Loved it. This one I bought yesterday is heavy lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2024 6:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!