Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was your gay mentor?

Your fairy godmother? Who taught you about gay culture?

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2024 12:44 AM

This is a little embarrassing, but until I watched “Unzipped” I had never heard about “Grey Gardens” and had never seen “Valley of the Dolls” - both of which feature prominently in the movie.

Now, I have both movies memorized.

So - I guess my gay mentor is Isaac Mizrahi?

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2024 9:40 PM

I had a few along the way, but the main one was a neighbor I met, who was probably 15ish years older than me, but was an old Southern Queen and seemed much older.

He introduced me to Judy Garland, to the movies of Doris Day, to so many performers of the 60s and 70s. He gave me a real sense of what being gay in the 70s was like. He was very sweet and generous, though he could also cut a bitch from time to time.

I had a number of mentors who were older sex partners but that isn't for this thread lol.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2024 9:44 PM

I did not have one. As a teenager, I wish I could have turned to an older, out, gay man who might have told me that all the heartache, loneliness, and not fitting in would go away and that it was okay to be gay.

I'm a college professor and openly gay, and it is important for me to be a role model for younger guys who might be feeling the way I did when I was their age. I don't know if I'm a good one, but it's important that young gay guys see older gay men who are well adjusted and living good lives.

I liked sports, but there was no Carl Nassib, Keegan Hirst, or Gareth Thomas when I was younger.

I stumbled onto gay culture, because I loved to read. I loved old movies, I loved the arts. I guess I picked a sensibility about being gay

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2024 9:56 PM

John Waters.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2024 11:46 PM

Books, especially Maupin and Mordden

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2024 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!