Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Conservative bigwig Matt Schlapp agreed to hefty settlement to end sexual assault lawsuit

The Republican operative who accused American Conservative Union chairman Matt Schlapp of sexual assault last year received a significant financial settlement in exchange for dropping his lawsuit against Schlapp, multiple sources familiar with the case told CNN.

The $480,000 settlement was paid to Carlton Huffman through an insurance policy, according to a source familiar with the details. Schlapp’s legal team did not respond for comment when asked about the financial settlement, but on Tuesday said that Huffman dropped the lawsuit and Schlapp claimed he had been exonerated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 8:36 PM

“From the beginning, I asserted my innocence,” Schlapp said in a statement. “Our family was attacked, especially by a left-wing media that is focused on the destruction of conservatives regardless of the truth and the facts.”

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2024 5:08 AM

Schlapp’s lawyers also released a statement by Huffman, the language of which was part of their private agreement.

“The claims made in my lawsuits were the result of a complete misunderstanding, and I regret that the lawsuit caused pain to the Schlapp family,” Huffman said, according to that statement. “Neither the Schlapps nor the ACU paid me anything to dismiss my claims against them.”

But multiple sources familiar with the allegations and legal proceedings told CNN that Huffman did, in fact, receive a financial settlement via an insurance company.

When reached for comment, Huffman told CNN, “I am only legally allowed to say five words, and that is ‘We have resolved our differences.’ Those are the only five words that I’m legally allowed to say.”

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2024 5:09 AM

Matt Schlapp...the big 'MO.

Hey Mercedes...your husband is a big 'MO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2024 7:58 AM

Mercedes and Matt Schlapp.

I married a cocksucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2024 8:00 AM

Daily Beast:

When conservative icon Matt Schlapp announced Tuesday that the sexual battery and defamation lawsuit against him had been dropped, he and his allies were quick to note that the ordeal ended without him or the American Conservative Union—the right-wing organization he runs—paying his accuser a single dollar.

Schlapp’s accuser, former Herschel Walker campaign staffer Carlton Huffman, has also taken issue with the content of a conciliatory statement that a Schlapp spokesperson provided to media outlets in Huffman’s name, these sources said. The verbiage in that statement was not what Huffman had agreed to as part of the settlement, they said.

Hours after the news broke on Tuesday, these sources said, Huffman’s counsel notified Schlapp’s legal team that some of Schlapp’s personal statements and social media posts celebrating the lawsuit’s resolution appeared to be in breach of the agreement’s non-disparagement clause.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2024 12:15 PM

GOP bigwig Matt Schlapp agreed to hefty settlement to end sexual assault lawsuit.

Schlapp and his legal team tried to position this settlement as Schlapp had been exonerated. This is not true. If this case had gone to trial, the prosecution already had depositions that would have shown Schlapp's guilt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2024 4:46 AM

SCHLAPP DAT ASS !!!

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2024 4:54 AM

Wow,thanks for this,what a POS he is,of course it’s going to come out-total sad hypocrisy but this and other closet GOP FAGS

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2024 7:00 AM

He should have known better - You pay cash UPFRONT - to avoid these messy payments afterwards

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2024 2:35 PM

[QUOTE]"But multiple sources familiar with the allegations and legal proceedings told CNN that Huffman did, in fact, receive a financial settlement via an insurance company,"

[QUOTE]If this case had gone to trial, the prosecution already had depositions that would have shown Schlapp's guilt.

Wait a second. Do I understand this correctly? An insurer is willing to pay out to (alleged) victim(s) of sexual assault or sexual harassment? I can understand the perpetrator paying out of pocket in a case where he may have committed a crime to make the story go away. But a legitimate insurance company is willing to do it? Isn't this dubious territory?

If the petitioner had enough evidence of guilt and settled for so little, I wonder what kind of threats were made.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2024 3:50 PM

I don't mind a little schlapp and tickle!

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2024 6:21 PM

The far left did this him? I thought all the guys whose junks and inner thighs he would try to play with were Republicans including the one from Hershal Walker's campaign that he tried to blow.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2024 6:28 PM

R12, exactly. He was harassing his fellow Republicans, not a bunch of ultra liberal hippies or whatever. He's just trying to blame the left for his horrible behavior

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2024 6:35 PM

[quote] Do I understand this correctly? An insurer is willing to pay out to (alleged) victim(s) of sexual assault or sexual harassment?

Something called EPLI (employment practices liability insurance) arguably could kick in, or at least ignite a coverage debate (which itself can be expensive for the insurer).

Or there might be a business insurance policy that could kick in, or an umbrella policy taken out by Schlapp.

In any event, the insurer will run for the hills with respect to future coverage of these creepy souls.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2024 6:47 PM

^^^ Or a homeowner's policy. But the same point about being dropped by the insurer applies in that case.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2024 6:50 PM

I cannot understand why any man, gay or straight, would reject Matt Schlapp's advances.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2024 7:12 PM

R14 - I thought about professional liability insurance. I read that Alexander Vindman who testified before Congress about Trump's Ukrainian dealings and lost his military career as a result used his PLI (paid for out of pocket) to pay his lawyers. But he did nothing illegal, just what his job description entailed.

What throws me off is that it's, in effect, an organization taking out insurance for crimes their employees might commit. For deliberative, not accidental, unforeseen events That's shady and unethical. It's almost like normalizing illegality. Slippery slope stuff. Policy cancellation may lead organizations to police themselves, but do employees really care if the policy gets canceled? Obviously, it's something I don't fully understand.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2024 7:44 PM

Schlapp me with your rhythm stick, Schlapp Me, SCHLAPP ME

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2024 9:11 PM

There's always a silver lining:

[QUOTE]DB reports that Schlapp’s litigation had already cost ACU more than $1 million in legal fees

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 7:51 PM

Carlton prefers the poosie. He his own accusations.

Article from a year ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 8:06 PM

^He has his own…..

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2024 8:08 PM

Delightful. The GOP attracts only the best people

[QUOTE]Huffman also confirmed that he had been drinking “copious amounts of tequila” with the women and acknowledged he had a loaded gun inside the house.

[QUOTE]According to the court documents, both women mentioned that Huffman’s firearm was on display during a portion of the night, adding to why they felt uncomfortable. Huffman told CNN he’d taken his gun out after hearing a loud noise from another part of the house. "It was present. It was not a danger,”

The women were 19 and 22. At least they can get him for serving alcohol to a minor since he admitted it. Plying with drinks was also Schlapp's MO.

I hope he never finds another job in politics. The settlement money isn't that much and a good chunk will go to his lawyer. Spend it wisely, Carlton.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2024 8:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!