Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trader Joe’s Sucks (and not in a good way)

I hate when they have a product and then discontinue it.

I bought a jar of Thai Satay Peanut Sauce. I went back to buy another jar and it’s completely gone.

Fie on you, Trader Joe’s. I say FIE!

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2024 2:55 AM

they've been doing this shit for decades.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2024 4:47 AM

I want to hear from a poster a while back who said their frozen fish is caught downstream or something from a battery plant.

I wish they’d post again and clarify.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2024 4:48 AM

Well, these things happen. Trader Joe's only sucks sometimes.

Most times, it's a good place to shop, and the employees are very helpful, at least in San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2024 5:17 AM

They get you hooked on the good stuff then leave you blowing in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2024 5:18 AM

I’m too autistic to shop there. They’re big into switching things up and I need to know the stuff I rely upon will be in stock when I need it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2024 6:03 AM

I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't find their dark chocolate peanut butter cups for a few days, thinking the dreaded discontinuation. I was assured it was only a supply issue and, upon the third day got fulfilled.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2024 6:10 AM

[quote]I’m too autistic to shop there. They’re big into switching things up and I need to know the stuff I rely upon will be in stock when I need it.

The word you’re looking for is impatient.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2024 6:20 AM

The word you’re looking for is FATWHORE

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2024 6:34 AM

Lord yes I am a fat whore. No denying that. Still, I want what I want when I want it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2024 8:08 AM

I'm so over TJ. The parking is always awful and I've been burned by the food too often. The last time I went everything I bought was bad, bread, ice cream, even kitty treats-the cats hated them. Even the flowers are lousy, they bend over immediately.

But that Binging with Babbish guy did a video rating frozen pasta and now I'm almost tempted to go back and try the things he recommended.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2024 8:39 AM

Banish does TJ pastas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2024 8:52 AM

I’m the poster about TJ’s fish.

They don’t label where exactly the fish comes from, much of the farmed fish is from China and thanks to Trump, government regulations and the FDA are more lax about where fish and meat originate or are processed. There is a deliberate attempt by lobbyists to “dumb down” source labeling for imported meat and fish.

The concern about farmed fish is that unlike the USA that has much stricter pollution, dumping and environmental guidelines, the pens fish are raised in rivers that also have polluted water running from other chemical plants upstream, like battery, farming or industrial manufacturing. None of this is overseen by our government- nor the type or amounts of the antibiotics fish are given to be able to raise more of them in much smaller pens in larger batches.

We only find out after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2024 9:20 AM

You must be devastated, OP. Thoughts and prayers at this dreadful timel

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2024 9:25 AM

Seville Orange Marmalade

bring that shit BACK!

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2024 10:36 AM

@ R6

That was probably my fault. Whenever I go into a TJs I buy up ALL the dark chocolate PB cups. They are LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 10:38 AM

Their produce and dairy go bad WAY too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 10:43 AM

I got the same for TJ's Sweet and Spicy Jalapeño jelly. Got home and ordered it on Amazon. It's more of a jam, though.

Your Satay sauce is available on Amazon.

It appears it all boils down to shelf space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2024 11:06 AM

[quote]Your Satay sauce is available on Amazon.

I’m not paying $15 for it. It was good but not $15 good.

But this is interesting. Did this seller know this product was a limited supply and buy it all up?

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2024 11:16 AM

TJ's dumps all of their seasonal stuff onto Amazon.

If you want it badly enough, it's available.

Supply, meet demand...

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2024 11:21 AM

[quote]TJ's dumps all of their seasonal stuff onto Amazon.

Is satay sauce considered seasonal? Some of their permanent stuff ain’t that good. Some of their frozen dinners have a watery consistency.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2024 12:25 PM

I never realized that so many retarded people find the DL a safe space.

How encouraging.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2024 12:28 PM

As someone mentioned, TJ bread products and dairy goes bad in a heartbeat. The expiration dates are typically only 2-3 days. Mold on the second day. Once I was checking the date on sour cream and all containers on the shelf were expiring that very day. Sour cream for cryin' out loud. I asked an employee why the paper wrap on the french baguettes was wet and he said because they were frozen and defrosted. So that's why the expiration window is so small. I asked him what other bread was frozen and he said "all of it".

It's possible not every store does this, but now I don't trust the place so much and mainly buy canned and bottled items and organic produce. There have been complaints that Joes's produce spoils faster but I haven't had that experience.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2024 1:00 PM

Peanut Sauce will be back in stock in May. I knew they would run out so I hoarded 10 jars back in January. It is fucking delicious especially with TJs whole wheat noodles. Dutch Griddle Cakes were another hot item that's back in stock. And, yes, it is frustrating when they run out of a new hot item so stock up if you can.

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2024 1:16 PM

For years, my cheat meal was Trader Joe's stuffed peppers. Friday night after work, I would toss them in the microwave and eat both servings. Not the healthies thing in the world, but it was a total of 18 carbs and I think, 400 calories for both. I loved them, and it kept me from just ordering a pizza and scarfing it down by myself.

And then they disappeared. I asked the manager about them, and she sort of implied they never existed or were a limited-time thing. I told her I had been eating them for about 5 years.

One day I went in, and she practically tackled me. "We got them back in, and I thought of you! They are back in prepared meals!"

They were there, but now had twice the calories and three times the carbs. Either they changed the recipe (more rice, less ground turkey) or, and this is my nightmare, they rechecked, and my dinner was actually not that great for me.

I bought a container anyway. They were terrible.

I haven't trusted TJ's since.

And if they ever get rid of the caramelized onion dip, I will lose my mind, (They have already given up some of the shelf space to the far inferior VEGAN caramelized onion dip.)

I should get a life.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2024 2:18 PM

If anything, TJ's has taught me - and reiterated, time and again - about the impermanence of life, and how fleeting and sweet moments of pure, culinary ecstasy can be.

Fuck you, TJs, for discontinuing your cinnamon swirl bread!

We will not speak of the cinnamon raisin bread they still have, nor the cinnamon sugary nightmare bread they brought in to replace it. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2024 2:44 PM

Thank you r12. I guess I won’t be buying their delicious fresh cod anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 4:23 PM

Exactly what is in their chocolate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2024 5:56 PM

[quote]I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't find their dark chocolate peanut butter cups for a few days, thinking the dreaded discontinuation. I was assured it was only a supply issue and, upon the third day got fulfilled.

I had the same reaction when I couldn't find their grated Pecorino Romano. It's something that I always have at least two tubs of in my refrigerator. Turns out it was also a supply issue (during COVID) and now it's back -- but more expensive than ever. I still buy it. It's SO much better than Parmesan/Parmigiano.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2024 7:39 PM

Trader Joes so routinely cancels new products after only 6-8 weeks, I am now reluctant to even try the new products.

My fear is I'll fall in love with some product that will then immediately disappear.

I've been burned many times in the past by TJs, so am quite wary now.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2024 8:02 PM

R26 Trader Joes's carries wild caught cod. If it says 'Alaskan' cod it's wild caught because Alaska doesn't allow fish farms. So just find Alaskan cod. Now if it says 'Pacific' cod should also specify wild caught just to be sure.

If you must eat fish, Alaskan cod is the second best choice after wild caught Pacific salmon. There is no such thing as wild Atlantic salmon, it's all farmed. Before I realized this I would buy TJ's 'Atlantic' salmon and once found a bloody tumor inside it.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2024 9:23 PM

Thank you R30. I appreciate your informative comment.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2024 9:26 PM

Is gnocchi pasta?

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2024 9:44 PM

That's their whole thing. They order a set amount of most stuff, sell through it and then they're out.

If you give something a try, try it within a day or two of purchase and then go back and buy as much as you can. Otherwise it will be out within a week or two.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2024 9:47 PM

I thought gnocchi were made from potatoes

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2024 9:47 PM

[quote] Did this seller know this product was a limited supply and buy it all up?

Lots of people do this shit for a living - just identify things that are popular or seasonal and then buy and sell on Amazon or eBay.

I was always searching for a particular kind of foamy soap at Bath and Body Works, and there's always some asshole who will buy 100 of them when they're on clearance, then resell them online for $20.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2024 9:49 PM

It is. But the review at r11 includes a ton of gnocchi.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote] There is no such thing as wild Atlantic salmon

Yes there is you just can’t get it in the US easily.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2024 9:56 PM

I was just daydreaming the other day how TJs was my go to place for whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta, and now they don’t have it, but my mega grocery store does.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2024 10:16 PM

Do we trust the Babushka reviewer with his tatts and backwards baseball cap?

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2024 10:24 PM

I still miss their bean chips from something like 30+ years ago.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2024 1:10 AM

[quote] TJ bread products...goes bad in a heartbeat. The expiration dates are typically only 2-3 days. Mold on the second day...I asked him what other bread was frozen and he said "all of it".

TJ's Everything bagels were the freshest store-bought bread product I've ever had and they kept from mold a pretty long time in the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2024 1:17 AM

The parking lot for my local TJ's was consistently voted the worst in the city. A business next door closed and they leased its lot with about 20 spaces. And they still have parking issues!

I have to say that they have some of the best customer service for a grocery store. I rarely have to wait in line

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2024 1:44 AM

[quote] Yes there is you just can’t get it in the US easily.

You can't get it AT ALL.

Commercial and recreational fishing for wild sea-run Atlantic salmon is still prohibited in the United States. All Atlantic salmon in the public market is cultured and commercially grown.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2024 2:24 PM

what about the meatballs? are they any good?

what about the minestrone soup? or chicken soup?

are they good?

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2024 7:46 PM

Provide feedback - they have changed their minds. I complained about low-sodium tomato soup being discontinues (along with others) and it was brought back

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2024 7:50 PM

For whatever reason discontinuing products, even successful ones, appears to be Trade Joe's modus operandi. They will carry something for a given period of time, usually 6-12 months. Sometimes it will be for 2-3 years, but they will always discontinue it. I am assuming they have some agreement with their partner that manufactures it, and when the period is up, they try to lowball them, their partner declines, and they move on to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2024 7:56 PM

[quote]much of the farmed fish is from China and thanks to Trump, government regulations and the FDA are more lax about where fish and meat originate or are processed. There is a deliberate attempt by lobbyists to “dumb down” source labeling for imported meat and fish.

True that, R12. I remember when the donald misAdministration decided to send whole chickens to China for processing. As if the Chinese wouldn't foist their own chickens off on us in exchange. I haven't bought chicken parts since.

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2024 8:04 PM

[quote]Before I realized this I would buy TJ's 'Atlantic' salmon and once found a bloody tumor inside it.

You should've sold it to the Natural Causes Restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2024 10:31 PM

r44 The Italian style meatballs are very good, and the price is certainly right. Whether you're using them in a sauce for pasta or making meatball sandwiches they're tasty with just the right texture. Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2024 12:11 AM

I live near TJ's headquarters. Would you like me to go self-immolate in protest?

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2024 1:21 AM

Where can you find for me the expired foods?

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2024 1:26 AM

Whatever happened to their beet chips? ...fuckers

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2024 2:06 AM

That's not why Trader Joe's sucks.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2024 2:15 AM

Anyone ever buy the protein bars here? I saw lots of people buy them and just wondered if they are good

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2024 2:30 AM

I'm allergic to dairy and soy which cuts out a huge swath of their stuff and all their various interesting but ultimately disappointing processed foods fail to delight. When it first appeared it was a culinary funhouse freak show with friendly faces.

I just don't go there any more. It's not out of disdain it's just not very useful for the way I shop these days

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2024 3:02 AM

The reason they discontinue products is that they have contracts with every large food processor that guarantee a certain price within a certain timeframe, and finished amount- AND other assurances such as exclusivity or refusing to stock certain competitor brands of other offerings within that timeframe or greater context of supply. Margins for groceries are razor thin, and if TJs is able to both warehouse and transport the stock, it costs the manufacturer far less time, money and risk of expiration, spoilage, or outdated ingredient list requiring repackaging or disposal of stock. (This happened recently where TJ didn’t disclose a certain ingredient people are allergic to.)

The printing of boxing, packaging, and wrapping the product, and the labor and payroll to do it is able to be orchestrated better as well if they know in advance, and it’s not an “open ended” manufacture which waxes and wanes with demand

For example, my old boss ran a large national salon chain and was able to haggle down the price of haircolor by assuring Redken he would only stock their brands, as well as Loreal (the parent company) for many years. He was getting it for half the price a mom and pop salon paid.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2024 10:47 AM

I never cared for their foodstuffs.

by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2024 1:59 AM

R54, their THINK protein bars are pretty good. I have one when I’m too tired to cook, running late or having a cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2024 2:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!