Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Funny Thing Happened In The Way To The Firum

Has anyone seen it? It’s on Tubi right now. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2024 4:43 AM

I loved it when I was a kid, Zero Mostel especially.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2024 2:56 AM

Great in it’s time!

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2024 3:08 AM

Sexist and portrays slavery as fun. And where are the Roman senators of Color ?

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2024 3:12 AM

I think it offers something familiar, something peculiar, something for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2024 3:16 AM

You mean …the Firm? That was the unmade prequel to Tom’s hit.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2024 3:29 AM

You're lovely absolutely lovely who'd believe the loveliness of you

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2024 3:43 AM

It’s based on ancient Roman farces but it plays out like a prolonged vaudeville or burlesque sketch. Hence the title, which is a variation of comedians’ stereotypical straight line of that period, “A funny thing happened on the way to the theater.”

Analysis aside, I saw it as a kid during its original run in 1966 and thought it was hilarious. I had the hots for Michael Crawford in his toga. He played a simpleton for laughs, but he was such a gentle, non-threatening character that it increased my attraction to him.

I watched the film again about a year ago, and it still stands up for what it is. I loved the older comedians of that time, so seeing Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, and Buster Keaton being funny again is great entertainment for me. And I still had my eyes on Michael Crawford in his toga.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2024 4:17 AM

I still use THE PLAGUE routine in public when attempting to disperse a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2024 4:38 AM

Saw it with Whoopi. Tourists behind me were talking loudly through the overture. When I asked them to be quiet, they said, “It hasn’t started yet.” When I pointed out that the orchestra was playing they asked, “Are they friends of yours?” I hate tourists.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2024 4:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!