Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Costco’s hot dog is still $1.50 when everything has gotten so expensive

Inflation has touched nearly everything these last few years — even Trader Joe’s 19-cent bananas. But Costco is holding the line on its hot dog-soda combo price.

Costco’s hot dog deal, sold at its food courts, is still priced at $1.50 — exactly what it cost in 1985, before the Great Recession, the housing crisis, the pandemic and the latest bout of decades-high inflation.

Since the pandemic started, prices for consumers have gone up 20% overall, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In many key areas, like housing and groceries, prices have increased even more.

If Costco’s hot dog deal kept pace with inflation, it would be three times as expensive today — nearly $4.50. But Costco’s $1.50 combo is a strategic decision, known as a loss-leader: The company is willing to lose money selling the hot dogs at that price — inflation be darned — so long as it helps Costco draw in and retain customers.

“It’s branding,” said Scott Mushkin, a retail analyst at R5 Capital. The $1.50 deal helps create customer loyalty, he said. “It reminds customers of who Costco is.”

Costco loses money selling more than 100 million hot dogs every year, but the company offsets these losses by raising prices on other goods it sells. Costco has increased prices of pizzas and other items at its food courts.

But Costco has a unique business model that allows it to keep prices low: It makes almost all of its money on memberships, selling items on its warehouse floor very nearly at cost – and sometimes less.

Costco’s longtime finance chief Richard Galanti, who retired this month, said in a recent interview that the $1.50 price was “probably safe for a while.”

Costco’s hot dog defied inflation from the very start.

Costco’s hot dog offering was born in the company’s early days. Costco added a Hebrew National stand at its second warehouse store in Portland, Oregon, shortly after it opened in 1983.

To keep the price of the hot dog steady, Costco found ways to slash other costs at the food court, such as switching from 12-ounce soda cans to cheaper, 20-ounce fountain drinks.

Costco sold kosher hot dogs at its food courts until 2009, but suppliers started to run low on meat. Realizing the importance of the low-priced hot dog, the chain brought production in-house and switched to its own Kirkland Signature brand. Costco now produces around 388 million non-kosher hot dogs a year at its plants for both food courts and to sell in packs.

Jim Sinegal, Costco’s co-founder, once told the company’s former CEO Craig Jelinek, “If you raise the effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.”

“I know it sounds crazy making a big deal about a hot dog, but we spend a lot of time on it,” Sinegal told the Seattle Times in 2009. “We’re known for that hot dog. That’s something you don’t mess with.”

Last year, Costco sold more than 130 million — around $195 million worth — of hot dog-soda combos globally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2024 9:46 PM

Americans will do anything for wiener.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 9:38 PM

The best part is that you don't even need a membership to buy the hot dog combo, because the sales window is located outside of the Costco store.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 9:40 PM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 9:42 PM

Sorry, r2. Food court now requires a membership.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 9:42 PM

the food court employees are very rude. i always get a deep sigh and an eye roll when i ask for a little plastic tub of onion or a lid for my sundae. i don't understand that attitude, regardless of what i'm asking for you have the same amount of work to do - you're still clocking out at the same time. so it's so much worse to be grabbing me a tub of onion that's six inches away from where your arm is right now as opposed to wiping down a counter or pouring an ice cream? i don't expect enthusiasm, indifference would be fine.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote] The best part is that you don't even need a membership to buy the hot dog combo, because the sales window is located outside of the Costco store.

The hot dog / pizza stand at my local Costco used to be located inside the store. There was a seating area -- inside the store. Assholes would park their shopping carts and block up the exit area -- while they sat and ate hot dogs.

My local Costco finally got smart and moved the hot dog stand to the outside of the store.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 9:59 PM

Wah wah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 10:02 PM

Costco concession used to have a chicken bake or chicken Cordon Bleu that I never got to try. Every time I'm at Costco, I just want to buy what I need (stick to my list) and GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 10:15 PM

Hot dogs are one of the worst foods you can eat. They are linked to several cancers. I eat one maybe every 10 years if I go to a ballgame.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 10:21 PM

R5 has stated her boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 10:32 PM

1.39 at Sam’s Club

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 10:49 PM

R5 it's unreasonable to demand big cheesy grins from people who sell hot dogs for eight hours a day. They hate working there and why should they pretend otherwise? They're human beings and the work is not rewarding or stimulating. They didn't verbally assault you or put dog shit in your food.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2024 1:04 AM

R12, Oh, fuck off. R5 isn't demanding a cheesy grin, but is expecting courtesy, which should be a given in a customer service environment.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2024 1:14 AM

Their hot dogs are probably not top quality, and also they are probably selling them as loss leaders, meaning they are not considered profitable, but it brings customers in who will buy a lot of their other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2024 1:25 AM

The hot dog might only be $1.50 but the cancer and heart disease will cost a fuck of a lot more

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 1:30 AM

I disagree, r13. The person handed r5 what he asked for. They did their job. That's all you can expect from someone in such a low-paying job. It's not unreasonable to expect courtesy in a luxury environment but not the Costco food court. This is the problem with American customer service. Can you imagine a French person whining because the hot dog vender looked annoyed when the customer asked for something? We expect too much from our service workers.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 1:47 AM

DLers. Bitch about "overly-friendly" service (e.g., cashiers at Trader Joe's). Bitch about unfriendly service.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2024 3:16 AM

Last time I got a Costco hot dog I met an elderly man at the condiments station who held up his own hot dog and said, "Look how big these are! You know what we would pay for this at the ball park? You and me, we know a good deal when we see it!"

He was so tickled and wanted to meet another $1.50 hot dog enjoyer.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2024 3:30 AM

This story makes me appreciate Costco so much, for doing this.

It's a feel good story.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2024 3:33 AM

Older people get thrilled by something like a large, $1.50 hotdog. I can see my mom or dad (both dead, now) getting excited about such a deal.

That said, I had a good hotdog maybe 10 years ago, at Costco. At that time, the relish, onions, and other condiments were self-serve.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2024 4:17 AM

My coworker had to get some supplies, then had two of those hot dogs! He passed out and had the meat sweats. What should have taken 90 minutes took four hours!!!

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2024 4:21 AM

They're made from the lips and assholes of pigs, people!

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2024 6:20 AM

And?

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2024 6:47 AM

Ohmygosh! Companies have loss leaders.

Can someone PUHLEEZ discover the trickery behind Trader Joe's bananas?

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2024 6:59 AM

People obviously don't know what's in those hotdogs. A butcher told me it's ears, noses and arseholes.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2024 7:03 AM

[quote] They're made from the lips and assholes of pigs, people!

It wouldn't be the first time I tasted the lips and asshole of a pig.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 7:23 AM

REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2024 7:31 AM

[Quote] They're made from the lips and assholes of pigs, people! R22

You’re talking to a crowd that thinks “I’d lick his shitter” is a comment worth giving a WW to.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2024 7:52 AM

R12 i didnt demand anything, i just observed that the workers seem really agitated by a basic request for a condiment and i dont like it. I’m not filing complaints or confronting people for not being happy at work nor do I expect a cheesy smile. So I’m handling being bothered very appropriately really.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2024 9:58 AM

R18 — thanks for sharing that story. It’s little moments like those that make life better :)

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2024 10:22 AM

It sounds more like r21’s co-worker shopped at Costco and then got a little gangbang for himself off Sniffies before heading back to the office.

I’m sure both smell like the consumption of lips and assholes of pigs.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2024 5:26 PM

R22, is it the pig assholes that make my burps stink after I eat one of these?

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2024 5:40 PM

Costco also loses money on every rotisserie chicken. It's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2024 5:52 PM

Hot dogs are made with squirrel meat and butt hair. That's why they're cheap.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2024 5:57 PM

"If you were selling sautéed raccoons' assholes on a stick, Americans would buy them and eat them." - George Carlin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2024 6:15 PM

R31 dear, god!!!

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2024 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!