Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nothing says Easter like " Godzilla."

Oscar winner and his buddy, Kong, expecting to kill at the box office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2024 6:18 PM

The early reviews say the human story is crap but the monster action is A+. More than one person said it had the joyously insane tone of a 1970s Godzilla movie. Sounds like I'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 2:38 PM

I hope generative AI will soon advance to the point where we can get the kind of movies we really want to see, such as "Godzilla x Joan Crawford: The New Empire"

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 3:03 PM

I’ve already seen the best Godzilla movie I’m ever going to see: Godzilla Minus One.

I might see this new one if I’m bored, but I’m not enthusiastic about it.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 4:45 PM

Godzilla Minus One was spectacular. A great treatise on being human. This will be fun in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2024 11:45 AM

Is this by the same people as Godzilla minus one?

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2024 11:58 AM

No, ElderLez.

If I understand correctly, Toho Studios retains ownership rights of "Godzilla", however, licenses permission for Legendary Studios in Hollywood to produce Godzilla movies.

That could be too simplistic an explanation, but I think I've got the gist of it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2024 12:23 PM

Godzilla Minus One was produced by a Japanese studio, not Legendary.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't see Godzilla Minus One when it was still showing on the Big Screen at the cinema.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2024 12:25 PM

Godzilla minus one started great but stalled with the interminable Japanese virtue signaling in the second half, and the resolution was sadly as overblown as any marvel nonsense.

Didn’t hate it but quite baffled by the groupthink on this one.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2024 12:30 PM

A Polish friend of mine told me that when he and his friends were growing up in Warsaw, they would watch the "Go-Zhee-wah" movies. I'm like "Huh?!?"

Then it dawned on my that, phonetically, Godzilla is pronounced "Go-Zhee-wah" in Polish: DZ = zh sound Ł = w sound

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2024 12:39 PM

Looks like the rest of the Hollywood Godzillas, shit.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2024 12:41 PM

Terrible CGI.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2024 12:43 PM

I though it was wonderful R5. My wife loves monster movies and I’ve seen a lot of meh ones over the years, but was as enraptured as she was with Minus One on a big Regal screen with great sound.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2024 12:47 PM

I'm so envious, ElderLez, in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2024 1:08 PM

I loved Godzilla Minus One and I will go watch this movie because I love Godzilla films.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2024 9:02 PM

Somebody said Whoopi Goldberg now looks like Godzilla sideways and now I can’t unsee it!

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 9:05 PM

I've seen a few first reactions from early screenings, and many say the film is incredibly dumb as well as incredibly fun.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 9:08 PM

This will bo better than the Dune movies.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2024 9:11 PM

Looks thrilling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2024 10:15 PM

Review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2024 2:42 PM

The trade reviews I've read today have been the usual eye-rolling exhaustion with fantasy franchise movies with the grudging acknowledgement that [italic]some[/italic] people might enjoy this one. Meanwhile, it's 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2024 5:08 PM

Yes, 92% from the audience.

And currently 53% for reviewers.

The typical negative review goes like this:

[quote] Cheerfully stupid

[quote] A dull, over-produced, exhausting and tedious video game masquerading as a movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2024 5:58 PM

It was incredibly fun. This was right up my alley. Yes, there's a to of hand-wavy science mumbo jumbo to endure, but this was a vast improvement over Godzilla vs. Kong.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2024 6:11 PM

I think the Godzilla reboot was handled badly. There have been a bunch of movies with various stars (Matthew Briderick, etc.) and no coherent story line connecting them. He's a threat, then he's a national hero...

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2024 6:37 PM

This is on track to outgross Dune 2 both domestically and globally this weekend, and this cost a fraction of what Dune cost to make.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2024 9:05 PM

Timmy beats Kong and Godzilla

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 3:51 PM

When will Godzilla Minus One finally be streaming?

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 4:01 PM

Not for a while R26. Don't know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 9:11 PM

Godzilla Minus One would have made tons of money if it had been released for streaming and DVD right after the Oscars. The failure to do so is baffling.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 9:13 PM

Godzilla is so fat. He needs Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 9:22 PM

The delay in releasing Godzilla Minus One for streaming has something to do with Legendary's contract with Toho to lease their characters. It's rumored that Toho is free to make Godzilla movies as they please, but they can't release them the same year a US movie comes out. That's why Toho had to pull Minus One from theaters while it was still making good money. There's probably some prohibitions about streaming and home video as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2024 8:02 AM

R29 = Mothra

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2024 9:57 AM

Thank You, r30

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 11:29 AM

Saw it today in 3D and it was 5 times more fun than the dreary Dune 2.

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2024 7:32 AM

Still stomping the competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2024 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!