Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will a Prunella Scales discussion on DL have legs?

She's niche for the Americans, but what a gal. Fawlty Towers, Merchant Ivory, and so much more. She's also married to fellow actor Timothy West, celebrating their diamond anniversary today, and the mother of Samuel West. She also was a huge activist for historic preservation in rural England. She's suffering from dementia these days, according to reports. Please don't tell me she's a Tory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 2:06 PM

What a marvelous name.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 1:14 PM

I first saw Samuel West on a newlywed on AS TIMe GOES BY and thought he was one-off minor character actor.

Years go by and I see him on ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL.

He ain't all that and is in fact, somewhat annoying to me.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 1:15 PM

He was also Leonard Bast in HOWARDS END, R2. Major role.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 1:19 PM

She’s still with us, no? But as I understand, has very serious dementia and isn’t really with us anymore. She is and was FABULOUS. The way she barked, “Basil!” was hilarious and glorious.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 1:32 PM

^Prunella was it that, too.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 1:37 PM

She and her husband are long standing members of the Labour Party.

I can’t stand John Cleese, so Fawlty Towers is quickly switched off in my house.

She did give a slyly hilarious performance as the late Queen in A Question Of Attribution, about the unmasking of Anthony Blunt as a former Soviet spy at the heart of the British Establishment.

I haven’t been lucky enough to see her perform on stage.

Her series Great Canal Journeys was very moving. It didn’t shy away from her dementia in any way, and the love between Prunella and Tim was palpable.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 1:38 PM

Prunella’s Miss Mapp is nothing short of genius. The most beautifully realized performance of a comedic monster that I’ve ever watched - all that despotic rage just behind the Cheshire Cat grin and tweedy cooing. She’s perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 1:57 PM

I saw her in a Question of Attribution on stage. She was quite convincing at HM, but the Queen, as written, was more clever than I imagine the real one was.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!