Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Democrats Overwhelmingly Win Special Election In Alabama In A Harbinger For November.

The Republican was heavily favored, but the Dems won by double digits. The candidate ran on pro abortion and IVF. Democrats just keep winning and winning and winning.

Republicans and the media have no idea how angry Democrats are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2024 7:19 PM

[quote]Republicans and the media have no idea how angry Democrats are.

I definitely agree! I would change only one word. I'd replace the word "Democrats" with the word "people"

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 11:48 AM

The Republicans didn't get the message in mid-terms, the red wave that didn't happen. They are clinging to the hope that Trump wins and by extension, they win, too. The MAGA movement is gonna take them all over the cliff in November. The Reps are gonna get their asses handed to them and they deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 11:48 AM

OP, Democrats will now do well in state elections in red states that have enacted extremely restrictive abortion laws since Roe was overruled. Just like Democrats are often chided for not realizing how much Americans love guns, Republicans are going to learn how much Americans love abortion.

But this won’t apply to races in states where abortion may have already been protected in state constitutions. It also won’t apply at the federal level where abortion has ruled not to be protected by the federal constitution. It also won’t apply in races where the Republicans support abortion rights, like the Northeast or West Coast. It will primarily impact state elections in the deep South and Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 11:53 AM

[quote]Republicans and the media have no idea how angry Democrats are.

Because she was not elected by Democrats. She was elected by independent and Republican women who crossed party lines specifically over the matter of abortion.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 11:55 AM

All of the states in red will be affected by Roe at the state level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 11:57 AM

You have no idea what will or will not apply R3.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 11:59 AM

This is really encouraging, but Huntsville is one of the most liberal, educated, affluent and non-native areas of Alabama outside of Birmingham. This is no reason to be beguiled into thinking we have any Dem victory in the bag for 2024.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 12:00 PM

And r3, you have no idea that many Americans simply do not see abortion as a pressing issue compared to inflation, the economy and immigration. Those are going to be the issues which determine the election.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 12:02 PM

Keep telling yourself that, Republican R8.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 12:09 PM

Only white males, who overwhelmingly vote Republican, buy into the whole GOP = prosperity myth.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 12:11 PM

R3 (whom I had blocked) doesn't know what they're talking about. National Republicans are still promising abortion bans, including overturning protections in states that voted for them (cf. OH). At the federal level, the majority of voters support the Democrats' nationwide protection on the Roe model. In blue areas even pro-choice Republicans will suffer from the national party's anti-choice mania (in my part of CT town elections often go to the Republicans, but a Republican for national or even state office doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell now that the MAGAts are in control).

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 12:12 PM

R9, that is what people who are being polled tell the pollsters what the most important issues are.

You simply refuse to accept facts that do not fit your narrative. This is because you are fundamentally conservative.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 12:13 PM

No doubt R3/8 is the deluded Republican who kept assuring us in June 2022 that voters have short memories and that Dobbs would have no effect whatsoever on the midterms.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 12:16 PM

[quote] At the federal level, the majority of voters support the Democrats' nationwide protection on the Roe model.

R11 Of course they do. It was a nice model. That model is no longer possible until the Supreme Court is restored to a liberal majority. That may not happen for fifty years. You cannot just “undo” Roe with a law, because the Supreme Court will overturn it. It will require a constitutional amendment.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 12:18 PM

The media predicted a red wave..and when it didn't materialize members of the press expressed their surprise mingled with remorse for the results.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 12:18 PM

R7: Trump won the district and Lands' opponent won by several points when she ran in 2022. Not that liberal.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 12:20 PM

[quote][R9], that is what people who are being polled tell the pollsters what the most important issues are.

What polls? Who are these pollsters? Why on earth are you still paying any attention to them? HOWEVER, i want to be QUITE clear that I love Poll troll.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 12:21 PM

R13 you are a conservative, you only align with Democrats out of expediency. Liberals don’t think like you; real liberals examine information in order to make decisions. Conservatives reflexively doubt any information which challenges their point of view. For example, I would be able to provide you with twenty polls that show voters are most concerned about inflation, the economy and immigration, and you will wave them away. Because your only value is confirming information that supports your FEELINGS.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 12:22 PM

Holy shit I posted r18 just as r17 popped up on my screen. God I’m good!

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 12:23 PM

Oh, I know, r16. I lived there for a short spell and you have to experience that culture in order to fully get it (let alone believe it). Liberal in Alabama = a snowball's chance in hell the district will go Democrat if the wind is blowing in the right direction. Elsewhere, it usually takes a dead girl or a live boy for a district to go Dem.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 12:25 PM

"From my understanding traditional conservatism is all about individualism, so more weight is given to an individual's experience with any given phenomenon," Dr. Alexander Swan, assistant professor of psychology at Eureka College and a co-author of the paper, told Salon by email. "This experience is fueled by our innate sense of intuition — what feels right to me? What makes sense?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 12:26 PM

[quote] "This experience is fueled by our innate sense of intuition — what feels right to me? What makes sense?" [/quote]

This is Alabma to a T. They value their sense of identity and social order more than anything else, as I observed it, and vote for the party/candidate that is most likely to preserve it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 12:29 PM

Fantastic news! Way to go, voters!

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 12:39 PM

Huh. The "fuck your feelings, cry more" crowd are all about their feelings!

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 12:48 PM

The Repug on this thread is TrYiNg ReAlLy HaRd folks! Give him a break!!! Lololol

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 12:55 PM

R25 that you, autism?

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 1:05 PM

I thought the autism troll was redlined yesterday.

Can't keep up.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 1:06 PM

That photo looked like the same person before and after transing.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 2:04 PM

Lol r28

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 2:06 PM

The fact a Democrat in Alabama won anything over the Trump loving favored Republican should wake all them GOP tards up. Alabama for god's sake. it's redder than Reba's snatch.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 2:13 PM

I have r3 blocked as well. An obvious MAGA and just as stupidly, very poor analytical skills. The biggest issue among women is choice. Inflation has eased and no one who isn’t living near the border cares about immigration.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 2:24 PM

[quote] For example, I would be able to provide you with twenty polls that show voters are most concerned about inflation, the economy and immigration, and you will wave them away

And that's the thing about polling versus electing. Again and again and again, polls show people are generally pro-gun control. But again and again and again people in many areas elect gun nuts.

Similarly, people may be telling pollsters that they are fully on board with hating inflation and immigrants, as instructed by relentless coverage saying that's what they hate most, but again and again women especially seem to have abortion on their mind when they actually step into the polling place. But keep running on ending abortion, Republicans. Or better yet, keep pretending that you really want to find a happy medium. We all know you don't. We all know you want to ban it everywhere with only the most narrowly tailored and fraudulent exceptions. And many people are voting with that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 2:26 PM

I posted this on another thread, this political analyst shows that polls are generally undercounting the Dem vote, and have been doing so for quite awhile. Take that into account when you cite any polls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 2:31 PM

She won in a landslide in Alabama by a whopping 25 points! Once again, Democrats winning actual elections with real voters. Republicans can keep clinging to their flawed polls, but we'll keep beating them at the polling booth.

When are pundits going to admit that it's actually the Democrats who are angry and motivated to vote in November?

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 2:40 PM

I guess Alabama voters aren't having Katie Britt's barefoot and pregnant kitchen talk. They'd rather have control over their own bodies.

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 2:45 PM

Democrats listen to the people, Republicans steer the people.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 2:46 PM

Tons of Democrats are also now running for races that have been won in years past by Republicans because they were in such a deep red areas they uncontested. Now, voters are being offered a choice. They are being offered Democracy when it truly matters. So, we will see more upsets like this in deep red areas.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 2:46 PM

All of Trump's legal issues are secondary.

Ultimately, democracy will not be sustained in the courtroom, but in the voting booth.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 2:55 PM

I LIKE HER!!!

But my question is can "they" be (or should "they" be) forgiven for what was so obviously blatant from the very beginning? Also, I've posted this before; In my view it's no longer about Trump but more about his enablers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 3:34 PM

[quote]Democrats listen to the people, Republicans steer the people.

Democrats wish Americans were smarter, Republicans work to make them dumber.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 3:36 PM

Now if Tennessee could elect Gloria Johnson to the Senate and Texas could elect Colin Allred, we'd be rid of Senator JBF hair Marsha Blackburn and Lyin' Cancun Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 3:41 PM

Cry about it R25. You’ll just get red tagged again, you dumb fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 3:56 PM

Methinks r42 doth protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 4:00 PM

R42, you’re wrong, r25 is not red tagged. Perhaps you need new glasses?

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote] When are pundits going to admit that it's actually the Democrats who are angry and motivated to vote in November?

We’re all just waiting for the New York Times to explain to us why a Democrat winning by such a huge margin in deep red Alabama portends very bad news for Joe Biden. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 4:24 PM

r31 I've noticed people who bitch about inflation don't just want inflation to come down to target levels, they want all of the inflation since the pandemic reversed, with some MAGA lunatics even dreaming about gas prices coming down to where they were back in the '50s. But in order to do that, we'd need a prolonged period of deflation, which would kill the economy.

Honestly, economic illiteracy it the root cause of so much confusion. People don't understand even the basics of how things work, they just imagine Trump signing an EO and poof, inflation would be gone.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 4:30 PM

What R8 and his ilk don’t understand is that for women of childbearing potential abortion is the economy, inflation and immigration in a single package.

Being forced to carry an unwanted child means everything costs more, you have have less economic opportunities and there’s going to be a new not-authorized-by-you person in your life. And that’s even before you get to all the women who want to have children, but don’t want to die from a non-viable, life threatening fetus they are forced to carry, so also kind of like violent crime.

Women know that without the protection of Roe V. Wade they can never allow Republicans to control Congress and the Presidency again, nor can they allow Republicans to control state governments, which absolutely impacts Republicans in all States, even the Pro-choice “concerned” ones.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 4:33 PM

The autism troll was recently redtagged R44. It has started a new account. It will be redtagged again.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 4:47 PM

R3, you’re an idiot. Everyone knows the GOP wants a federal ban on abortion which would affect ALL states including blue. And they want to ban birth control. And same sex marriage. You’re not safe just because you’re in a blue state, fool.

And when a Democrat wins in Alabama - by 25 FUCKING POINTS - the GOP is in TROUBLE. And they know it. They’re not even going to try to win the election, they’re just going to try to steal it. But I’m sure Marc Elias and his ilk are all over it - they know the playbook they ran unsuccessfully in 2020.

The booodbath in November is going to be so bad for the GOP, most of them won’t even have the will to try. I’m thinking it’s going to look like Reagan’s re-election. Eight months is a LONG time to put up with Trump’s lunatic shit - plus a convention. He’ll be a convicted criminal by then. Total shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2024 5:09 PM

Wrong, R14. It can be codified into law and that’s what will happen. It was overturned precisely because SCOTUS said it wasn’t a constitutionally protected right and would need to be codified into law.

Whet’s with all the stupid today?

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2024 5:12 PM

Also R33, the methodology on all these junk polls is coming to light. Turns out a lot of them people can opt into them online for a reward, etc. Most of these polls are just junk, more MAGA theatre to grab headlines. Not worth the attention.

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2024 5:20 PM

R46 that is so very true. Agree completely.

Then there's also the FTC report that says grocery stores are price gouging. Which we all knew was happeneing, but now we have evidence. I told this to a few of my conservative family members and they predictably blamed Biden for "not doing anything about it".

There wasn't even a moment of" "Fuck. I've been blaming the wrong people for why my Cinnamon Toast Crunch is now 8 bucks a box." Not one moment of pause or reflection. Just attack the enemy with new bullets.

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2024 5:30 PM

[quote] you’re an idiot. Everyone knows the GOP wants a federal ban on abortion which would affect ALL states including blue.

R49, it does not matter what the GOP says about wanting a federal abortion ban. BECAUSE THEIR OWN SUPREME COURT MADE IT A STATES RIGHTS ISSUE! It would be unconstitutional, just like they interpreted Roe as unconstitutional! You would need a constitutional amendment to legalize or ban all abortions in the United States, and that could never happen with the country’s current divisions! When Republicans say “I want a federal abortion ban,” they are LYING, just like Joe Biden is lying when he says he wants to bring back Roe V Wade.

Does you brain touch the top of your spinal chord.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2024 5:34 PM

R50 lt can be codified into law and that’s what will happen. It was overturned precisely because SCOTUS said it wasn’t a constitutionally protected right and would need to be codified into law.

VIA A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. Jesus Christ, are you autistic or something?

[quote] An amendment may be proposed by a two-thirds vote of both Houses of Congress, or, if two-thirds of the States request one, by a convention called for that purpose. The amendment must then be ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures, or three-fourths of conventions called in each State for ratification.

THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN THE NEAR FUTURE BECAUSE THE COUNTRY IS SO DIVIDED. It would be easier to get a constitutional amendment declaring mandatory pizza parties on Fridays than it would to get this kind of consensus for or against abortion.

by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2024 5:39 PM

Republicans would just have to revive enforcement of the Comstock Act and put a rider on the FDA funding to majorly restrict abortion.

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2024 5:44 PM

Democrat Wins In Alabama Special Election- Why This Is Bad for Democrats in November

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2024 5:47 PM

I don't think there would be any constitutional block to Congress coming up with a Roe v Wade type law. Dobbs didn't say, abortion HAS to be outlawed or restricted. It said states were allowed to regulate it however they wanted, even banning it completely if they felt like it. I presume Congress could also regulate it, or just say screw it, no regulation, it's totally legal, if they felt like it. Is there an actual Constitutional objection to Congress passing something like Roe v Wade? What would the actual constitutional objection be?

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2024 5:56 PM

[quote]Being forced to carry an unwanted child means everything costs more, you have have less economic opportunities and there’s going to be a new not-authorized-by-you person in your life.

RIGHT-ON! That's why I SUPPORT the legislation that will make many of these no-good men start paying child support from the moment of conception! Shit, I'll go farther than that. Start the clock from the moment of insertion! If they can't get the support from the daddy, then go after the granddaddy that raised such a miscreant.

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2024 6:07 PM

The only thing Congress can regulate is interstate commerce related to abortion.

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2024 6:17 PM

I don't think that's true r59. And in fact, it seems many of the fans of Dobbs are pushing national bills, with various bans after a certain number of weeks, based on the idea that Congress absolutely has the right to regulate abortion throughout the nation.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2024 6:25 PM

Comstock Act is interstate commerce. And Congress can pass laws about federal regulations like FDA approval limits.

by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2024 6:27 PM

I hope that is the case as it is not reflected in the president pols.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2024 6:55 PM

R63, almost none of the incessant Democratic wins in regular and special elections since Trump's inauguration has been accurately predicted by the polls.

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2024 6:59 PM

R53 R54 is fundamentally ignorant of the facts. Dobbs overturned Roe because the majority of the current court decided that after 50 years, the implied right to privacy of the 14th amendment either didn’t exist or didn’t include a woman’s right to her own private counsel, her right to choose. In the absence of Roe, they said it would be up to the state’s to decide - as an interim solution, not as a matter of constitutional law. The right’s goal is a full federal ban on women’s reproductive rights, just as the left intends to pass federal legislation ensuring a woman’s right to choose and access reproductive health care. While SCOTUS can overturn Roe claiming the original decision was flawed, they actually have a constitutional position to deny Congress the right to legitimately pass such legislation. The great irony is that the concept of liberty in the 14th amendment that was the basis of the original decision would uphold a citizen’s right to benefit from such legislation that enshrines their individual freedom into federal law.

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

*they actually DO NOT have a constitutional position to deny….

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2024 9:12 PM

In short, SCOTUS decided to overturn Roe while declining to determine a resolution to the issue, instead rather cheekily saying they would leave it to the States to decide. For now.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2024 9:15 PM

Which has lead to states like Alabama deciding a fertilized embryo is a human and not he IVF nightmare. Other states are looking to make it illegal to leave the state to get an aboriton while they try to ban the day after pill. They (the GOP) do no see how clinging to this BS will cost them everything. Alabama taught them that but I doubt they learned anything.

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2024 1:10 AM

If the Republican losses continue in 2024 -- and God willing, they will lose -- the subset of the party that is NOT crazy will be able to challenge MAGA. I am hoping they fall into intraparty chaos for the next decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2024 1:22 AM

Trump will announce a 2028 run.

by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2024 1:31 AM

[quote] Other states are looking to make it illegal to leave the state to get an aboriton while they try to ban the day after pill.

A prohibition on interstate travel would be unconstitutional.

by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2024 1:37 AM

Since when do you magats refer to the constitution to inform your choices

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2024 1:39 AM

R69, the only reason he’s running now is to stay out of jail. By 2028, it will all be resolved.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2024 1:48 AM

Trump will be replaced by 2028. I predict a splintering among his supporters at some point before then.

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2024 7:33 AM

R70 meet Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2024 9:50 AM

r74 Texas's new state motto. WHAT CONSTITUTION?

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2024 1:12 PM

Sorry R8 but you are wrong. Suburban women will play an outsized role in this election, just like 2020. I gave $1 to the Republicans in order to get on their mailing list. They are scrambling on how to deal with Reproductive issues. Dobbs and the Alabama IVF are huge factors. As a white female in suburbia the Republicans have been after my support . The Katie Britt play failed spectacularly. As others have stated, reproductive freedom is all about how women are alllowed to function in the world. The conerns of economy, inflation etc all come after a women navigates her reproductive options.

by Anonymousreply 76March 28, 2024 1:23 PM

I agree, R76. But I would say women period will come out to vote in droves as more and more women realize what is happening to them. Everyone (particularly women) should be OUTRAGED regarding these proposed travel bans legislation that are making their way through various legislatures. Okay... many say that such bans could never happen because it's unconstitutional but always remember what "they" said about Roe, the constitution, and precedence. The thought that anyone would even suggest such legislation should be more than enough to send everyone full tilt!

How in the world would such bans be enforced? Will women be required to take pregnancy tests prior to them leaving their residential state... and evry time? Just nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 77March 28, 2024 1:53 PM

And remember there is no privacy at the nation’s borders. If Congress passes a federal ban and a Republican president signs it women will absolutely have trouble going to Mexico or Canada for care.

by Anonymousreply 78March 28, 2024 2:11 PM

Who would have thought in 2024 medical tourism would include abortion?

by Anonymousreply 79March 28, 2024 2:28 PM

Not just for care, elder lez, but even just vacations or visiting family.

Every woman under the age of 60 and over 9 will be suspect.

by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2024 6:24 PM

Did they wait before the election was over before shouting that it was stolen?

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2024 6:29 PM

Yes, they’ll be a pall of submission over all women traveling overseas, just like some women can’t get their medications for various diseases because they *might* be used as abortifacients.

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2024 6:41 PM

There’ll be

by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2024 7:03 PM

[quote]Every woman under the age of 60 and over 9 will be suspect. Yes, they’ll be a pall of submission over all women traveling overseas,

Mmph... Ya want to get back at a woman who is traveling on her very first trip to Paris and is very excited about it? Just notify the Sheriff that she is leaving the country for an abortion and for him/her to meet her at the international gateway to arrest her on the spot!

Just insane...

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2024 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!