Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will you have a gravestone?

Or simply be scattered to the winds?

My grandparents set aside a plot for me back east years ago - but I kind of like the idea of my ashes being cast about my beloved hometown. I want to haunt it!

What of you?

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2024 4:30 AM

Scattered ashes all the way. My local beach is just fine as I've always been a water baby.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 5:58 AM

Tombstone, I will buried with my folks. I have a hot ass, but, it won't be cremated.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 6:06 AM

I will have a mausoleum in which my ashes will be stored as well as drug money.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 6:08 AM

I left out the Pauper’s Grave option : (

Wouldn’t it be cheaper for public funds to be spent cremating everyone, tho?

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 6:11 AM

I want an unkempt grave in the corner of a golf course in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 6:14 AM

Ive already set up to be naturally composted. Here in Seattle, we have Recompose, look it up, it's wonderful. Recently had a friend pass who did this & it just feels right & the ceremony was so beautiful. Family & friends will be welcome to my compost when im ready, and hoping to have some trees & gardens grow from me. Thinking about having some river rocks carved with my name & dates, if to just say "I was here".......

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 6:19 AM

No one's going to remember me -I won't be leaving any family behind and I'm not famous in any way. I've always felt that grave markers were only for the famous and the desperate... Cremation for me, with ashes scattered at sea.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 6:35 AM

“Here lies one whose name is writ in water”, R7 ❤️

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 6:42 AM

“whose name WAS writ in water” - same thing! … but still always note John Donne:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 6:47 AM

apologies, R7… here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 6:50 AM

I love old cemeteries and especially the grand 19thC examples that are Romantic landscapes with a rich catalogue of styles of sculpture and monuments and sentimental iconography.

But not for me. Cremation or donation for medical use or the simplest method of disposal...all are fine.

I recall my mother asking when I got my first proper job if I wouldn't like to contribute something that I might secure a spot in the sad family plot (not like the photo) in my birthplace. How I laughed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 6:56 AM

I always wanted my ashes scattered over Paul Newman but, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 5:41 PM

Paul Newman?? Why not Rudolf Valentino?

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 6:45 PM

I never thought Valentino was all that attractive. And he died 35 years before I was born. Whereas Paul Newman was totally hot and in his prime as I was growing up as a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 7:04 PM

Yes, I already have one without the end date. I'm going into the family plot, so it's a done deal. My parents made all the arrangements and since I'll be dead and don't really care I just went along

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 7:13 PM

Cremation is not very ecologically friendly.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 7:15 PM

Neither is burial, graveyards are loaded with toxic chemicals, cremation is better because it's more accessible for now.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 7:28 PM

I'm r15, we're all being cremated, but are still going into the family plot. You can be cremated AND buried

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 8:18 PM

I’ve made arrangements for my body to go to a local medical school. They won’t take you if you die in the OR. Ithat happens, I’ll just do the “pauper’s grave” option. I give less than a rat’s ass about my body once I’ve relinquished tenancy.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 8:39 PM

^ That's sounds wonderful until recently I read about a guy whose mother's body was used to test bombs and was literally blown up 😬

Nah, you're not testing bombs on my dead ass

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 8:43 PM

I want my ashes to be mixed with those of my husband and our dogs and spread in the woods around our house.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 8:47 PM

^ That sounds really nice 🙂

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 8:49 PM

I’m going to check with a mortician and see if they can do a no-charge disposal of the remains.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 8:51 PM

I'd settle for a tombstone.... pizza.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 8:58 PM

Ashes to be interred at Westwood Village. Marker on a cenotaph few yards from Fanny Brice and at some point, Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 9:03 PM

I want to be dumped into my beloved childhood creek.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 9:06 PM

Cremation, and scattered among some trees growing along a river that cuts across the Great Plains.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 9:08 PM

There’s room in the family plot. The tradition is to list the relationships to survivors: “Beloved mother, grandmother, sister and aunt” but when my mother died I had hers say “She was loved by her family and friends.” I’m thinking about quoting Bartleby: “I would prefer not to” or perhaps to keep with the third person style “He preferred not to.”

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

I was thinking of combining my ashes with my mother's (she died in 2010) then having them scattered in the Atlantic Ocean off Connecticut...but an urn containing the entire body is ENORMOUS, two might be too much to handle.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

R26 here, I want my ASHES to be dumped into my beloved childhood creek.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 9:10 PM

Green burial. Put me in a pine box or a burlap sack and bury me. No headstone.

'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.'

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote]R28 I’m thinking about quoting Bartleby: “I would prefer not to” or perhaps to keep with the third person style “He preferred not to.”

Not “He’d had sufficient”?

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 9:54 PM

^only Dataloungers would get that.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 9:58 PM

Mine is already in the cemetery right next to my dad who passed away several years ago. I change flowers on both of our headstones 4 times a year. My stone gives my birthdate 1972- with no year since I’m not dead yet. Hee hee

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 9:59 PM

An urn for two wouldn't be enormous, we thave he eldergay's parents in the closet, both medical donations, there's not much left at all. You should see what a fifteen pound dog leaves.

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 10:02 PM

R29, my 80 year old cousin outlived her son, her only child. She doesn't really have anyone left, and he was long-since divorced when he died. She wants her ashes combined with her son's when she dies.

I was tasked with searching for a two person urn and I found several on Etsy under "two-person urn" or "double urn."

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 10:07 PM

Oh sorry, R29, I see you know they exist, they're just gigantic.

R32, while it's an inside joke here, anyone over age 45 would "get it"!

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 10:10 PM

No grave marker, no service, cremated, flush the remains for all I care. The funeral industry can suck it.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 10:11 PM

The second comment in R37 was meant for R33!

I'll go now, I obviously can't read nor type properly at the moment

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 10:13 PM

I already have all this planned out; here's hoping someone I trust will make it come true.

When I rode out to Sturgis Bike Week in 2015, I was so struck by the beauty of a cemetery by the interstate that I pulled off the highway and went in. Turns out it was a veteran's cemetery called Black Hills National Cemetery. They were having a military funeral service when I got there. I didn't approach the family; I kept a respectful distance away, but the guy got a 21-gun-salute. I was entranced.

I found out later that, not only am I entitled to be buried there (with full military honors -- hee hee!), but a motorcycle group called the Patriot Guard (with whom I participated in guarding funerals against the Westboro Baptist Church a handful of times when I was younger) would transport my ashes from wherever I happen to die to the cemetery of my choice on their motorcycles, passing my ashes from one biker to the next until they get there.

I can't think of anything more fitting or romantic! Of course, my cremated remains will be chock full of metal pieces from my two motorcycle accidents, so I don't know what happens to them. My bff says she wants one to remember me by.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 10:35 PM

My best friend Ralph died and was cremated and in accordance with his wishes, we scattered his ashes on the top of a hill on a farm he owned near Williamsport, PA otherwise best known for the Little League’s World Series.

The breeze was unpredictable and his brother’s vigorous efforts at scattering blew bits of Ralph onto everyone there.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 10:56 PM

Cremation, and maybe a small plaque near my family's plot, or a brick somewhere, something like that.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 10:58 PM

Donating my body to Mayo Clinic. My nieces and nephews have instructions to flush my ashes down the toilet. After all, I got more ass than a toilet seat. I was a whore, darlin’!

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 11:03 PM

I have my brother and my dad's ashes on a shelf, one of these days I will have my mother's as well. I bought a cremation plan for myself. My niece and nephew can deal with it, just dig a hole and spill us in.

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 11:12 PM

No gravestone, I'll be cremated. My name and birth year are engraved on my parents gravestone, maybe one of my relatives will add my death year, but it doesn't really matter to me either way.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 11:15 PM

I want a stark headstone with simply my name over the years of my birth & death.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 11:18 PM

Let’s party

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 11:19 PM

I’m an atheist so I have to decide whether I want to be cremated or donate my body to science. I want no services of any kind. If I do get cremated, as a symbolic gesture I want my ashes scattered over my parents graves. But that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 11:30 PM

I already told my brother that I want a headstone when I'm planted in our family plot. I've read too many stories of how bodies are treated when they're donated, and my parents made it clear they wanted us to all rest together. I have to make up with my sister though.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2024 11:39 PM

I'm not going in the fucking ground to rot. No thanks. Fire and ashes to the wind and sea for me.

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2024 11:40 PM

I'm 68 and haven't planned anything. Though an atheist so cremation and all that is what I want. R48, science will not want your body if the parts are over 80 years old. You'll end up on a table in parts for medical students. NOT GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2024 11:40 PM

Anybody interested in cryonics?

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2024 11:45 PM

“Science” doesn’t want your body if you’re too fat or too thin, either.

But did you see the John Oliver episode on what happens to some of the bodies of people who donate their body “to science”?

I don’t normally watch the show because I find his delivery grating, but I passively took it in one evening as I was cleaning house. If I recall correctly, they can just sell your body if they want. Some guy bought a corpse and charged people an entry fee to watch him perform an autopsy, although I don’t recall if he had any credentials. Several skeletons ended up on display at (what they called) a museum in Oklahoma.

Weirdos like to buy human bones and apparently there’s no law to stop “science” from selling your body parts.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2024 11:55 PM

I'm happy to donate my body to science R53, dont give a shit what they do with it. Somebody wants two dicks, fine by me hell its not like I'll have any use for it any more.

I want to be parted out like an old Ford or Chevy at the local Pick and Pull lot, stripped of any usable spares and the remainder cremated. Maybe I'll get the remains buried at the foot of a mobile cell tower and that can be my headstone, that way its serving a purpose to someone

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2024 12:06 AM

I’m not sure, previously I wanted to be buried at sea. Then I wanted ashes scattered in places that mean something to me but I don’t think anyone will do that for me. Maybe add my name to the memorial bench I got for my Mum and look into burying our ashes. I haven’t scattered hers yet, bought a decorative, tasteful Jen she’d have approved of.

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2024 12:21 AM

You can still have your ashes scattered with some Paul Newman salad dressing, r12.

My parents got a plot for me, next to theirs. They did not do this for my sister, as she is married. They did this while I was in my 30s, and it was well-intentioned, but a stone cold bummer.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2024 12:46 AM

R6, I learned about composting from Ask a Mortician on YouTube. New York recently made it legal, so that's what I want too. The thought of cremation freaks me out, and I don't want to be filled with toxic chemicals and shoved in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2024 12:58 AM

I saw the composting video, they're several others too, it's too cool, it all breaks down, and rich soil too.

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2024 1:15 AM

I'd consider one of those compost burials where your body grows a tree.

Otherwise, cremation and scattering...

Now don't laugh, but I want my ashes scattered at Magic Mountain. I had such a happy time there as a teen and still have life-long friends from there that I keep in contact with nearly 30 years later.

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2024 1:28 AM

I hope to die at sea painlessly and then be dumped overboard as fish food. My feet, protected by very good shoes, will wash ashore in British Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2024 1:38 AM

I love the idea of being cremated and some of the ashes used to create a large lab diamond that is then GIA graded and my name etched into she girdle. It’s not that expensive but I’ve never seen the actual product to gage the quality.

There is something I don’t like about the idea of being burned though, mainly because the likelihood of those ashes that you’re mixing with dear old dad are actually a complete stranger’s ashes and now not only is your mother missing but your father is all swirled up for eternity with a stranger that he doesn’t know from Adam’s housecat!

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2024 1:39 AM

For me, as a Jew, cremation is a not an option.

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2024 1:55 AM

My parents came from smaller towns where three generations mostly lived out their lives or, if not, came back to be buried. We always visited the cemeteries on summer visits and heard stories. Family members still lived in town and took care of the graves. I saw pictures in old albums and all those stones were real people to me though I never met them. Now, no one is left that remembers. It would still be nice to be buried with those folks with a stone.

by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2024 2:10 AM

^^ that sounds great!

by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2024 5:23 AM

Cremation is pagan.

by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2024 12:43 PM

I have a choice of three graves and already have a headstone at one of them.

I may be divided in three, but not as a pile of ashes.

by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2024 12:54 PM

^ Then don't do it if it bothers you

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2024 1:23 PM

Back in the 1980s I went to a funeral of a friend of Jewish my in-laws who was buried in a Jewish cemetery on Long Island. Looked like any other cemetery, except Star of Davids instead of crosses and angels.

I went to same cemetery 5 years ago when my FIL died and was gobsmacked. The cemetery was filling up with those Russian mobster-type tombstones. Apparently it’s all the rage among Russians to do it up in the cemetery, and hundreds of thousands of Russian Jews moved to NY from 1970s up til present day, but especially during glasnost and perestroika. So you now see these huge black tombstones that look like the one linked, only there isn’t a Russian Orthodox Church depicted on the Jewish gravestones. And the artistry and stone carving is more elaborate in the NY cemetery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2024 3:26 PM

R68 could be cross-posted to the "Piss Elegant" thread.

TAAAAAAAAAACKY!

by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2024 4:47 PM

That's fuckin' creepy, R68. Life-sized, I take it?

by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2024 9:19 PM

Yes. I Baltimore. It will say “Cocksucker!!!”

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2024 2:38 PM

I want to be thrown away. Period. If there is any useable part then recycle it. For the rest, cremation. Take the ashes and just dispose of them,, because once you go into the oven your ashes are mingled with other people's ashes anyway and it's all bullshit. Have a nice memorial luncheon or brunch and people can share memories. Have a nice "story board" with photos from various points in my life. That's it. Finis.

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2024 2:42 PM

I want to be laid down on a rock in the middle of the Ganges darling, and just be pecked by birds.

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2024 2:44 PM

My headstone will read "No song unsung, no wine untasted"

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote] That's fuckin' creepy, [R68]. Life-sized, I take it?

Yes. I thought it was a Russian mafia thing, but apparently it’s a Russian thing, not limited to mafioso or to Russian orthodox Christians.

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2024 3:19 PM

I already have one where my husband is buried. My name is already on it, all they have to do is add my date of death. I've prearranged everything, no funeral, no obit, no service - just cremate and shove in the ground - and I'm ready any time. My life ended already the day he died.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2024 3:30 PM

Pierce Brothers Westwood Village of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2024 3:32 PM

My gravestone will have a glory hole.

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2024 3:33 PM

I'm so sorry, R76. Please know that there are people who will read your post and be thinking of you.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2024 3:38 PM

My body will be cut up and ridiculed by medical students.

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2024 3:41 PM

R14, Valentino had the big dick.

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2024 3:48 PM

R72, don't stand on your soapbox and dictate what everyone should do after death.

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2024 5:09 PM

No, I want to be embalmed and placed in the corner of a rowdy bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2024 5:28 PM

Please note, Lionel Batiste mentioned with photo in the article above is an uncle of Jean Batiste, Grammy winning musician.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2024 5:35 PM

Scattered at the Magic Kingdom.

Might even be cremated first.

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2024 5:50 PM

Sorry, R81, I'm a top so I really don't care about dick size. I think Newman was much more handsome.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2024 7:57 PM

I already have one. Family plot. Still plenty of room. The gravestone is already there. Just need to have my name engraved.

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2024 12:59 AM

I like what Luke Perry did when he passed away. Very innovative and Eco friendly:

"Age 52 when he passed away a week after suffering a stroke, he was buried in an eco-friendly mushroom burial suit designed to remove polluting toxins from the body while naturally breaking it down to reunite the body with the earth and the ongoing cycle of life."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2024 1:57 AM

I’m gonna do an open casket. Nobody’s going to attend services but the vicar and my necrocosmetologist.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2024 2:02 AM

I intend to be buried in a cemetery wherein fake flowers, stuffed animals and especially Mylar balloons are forbidden from being left graveside.

by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2024 3:55 AM

^ Are there cemeteries with a dress code? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2024 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!